hacking towards release
We've endured two delays to get here, but Watch_Dogs is finally within release sights, and ahead of that event we go hands-on with the latest build. Read on for our full thoughts!
inquisitive minds
AusGamers managed to catch-up with BioWare's Cameron Lee, an Aussie expat who serves as a producer on Dragon Age: Inquisition. Check out our full interview!
oracle of ages
Batman: Arkham Knight is set to be Rocksteady's final in the Arkham series, so it's fitting that it's just so damn big. And Batmobiles. Nuff said. Click for more!
to the moon, athena
We caught up with 2K Australia and Randy Pitchford to discuss Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and why Australia is making an impact on the moon. Click for more!
Post by Dan @ 11:11am 03/02/14 | 17 Comments
Interceptor Entertainment, the Denmark-based international collective of indie developers that brought us the recent Rise of the Triad remake are gearing up for a new game reveal that looks set to be an action RPG starring trouble videogame icon Duke Nukem.

A teaser website published at alloutofgum.com is offline for maintenance at the time of this news posting, but the resourceful chaps over on NeoGAF chronicled everything they learnt before it blinked out, which reportedly included a countdown timer with 24 days on the clock, an image of a packet of Kick-Ass brand bubblegum with plenty of gum left, and an crytpo alien message that revealed the following translation:
The king makes his next generation debut in Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction, a top-down action role-playing game for PC and PlayStation. Duke Nukem kicks ass across planets in an Unreal Engine-powered galactic adventure to save the President from an apocalyptic alien threat. All new enemies, a never-before-seen arsenal of devastating weaponry and series-first mechanics, including experience points and tech trees, will let Duke rip ‘em a new one in a way he never has before.
The GAF community also points out that Interceptor began life as a mod team intending to recreate Duke Nukem 3D in Unreal Engine 3, which was shelved in 2011 reportedly to prevent it further impacting the poor reception of Duke Nukem Forever.

Earlier comments on the Duke4.net forms by Interceptor's Frederik Schreiber indicate a desire for a more intelligent interpretation of the duke:
I'm also personally tired of Pigcops, Turd Jokes, and a Goofy Duke Nukem.
I would love to see a Duke Nukem game, taken in a completely new direction. A way more serious and "Badass" Duke, with an epic plot. Something that really brings back Duke as an Action Hero.

That reminds me of how tired I am of strippers, babes etc. in Duke Nukem games, which only degrades Duke's intelligence even more (there is nothing wrong with Duke Liking strippers and babes, but it shouldn't be the main plot of a game). Give us a Duke game without strippers, a great sinister villain than can break Duke (Think Bane from DK:Rising), a slightly older, and way more badass/gritty Duke, and a galactic plotline that can be taken seriously, and I'm Sold!
An action RPG might seem like a radical departure from the first person presentation of Duke 3D and Forever, but let's not forget that Duke Nukem 1 and 2 were 2D platformers.

Unless it's another elaborate hoax, we'll likely know more before the end of February.

shade
Posted 11:21am 03/2/14
no pig cops, no strippers, no goofy jokes? does duke nukem become politically correct now. I thought they couldn't kill this franchise anymore
Tollaz0r!
Posted 11:33am 03/2/14
Seems like he caught a case of feminism. Duke is supposed to be crude, rude and a dude, that is what he is.
paveway
Posted 01:09pm 03/2/14
you're fucking kidding right
The GuVna
Posted 01:19pm 03/2/14
I probably would have played the remake of Duke Nukem 3D :/
RuleofBooKz
Posted 01:22pm 03/2/14
please just let this whole franchise die. If you are going to go in an "entire new direction" then just start from scratch. Call the guy the "Baron" or somethibng
Dan
Posted 02:15pm 03/2/14
Disagreeing with all the haters here. I absolutely think that the direction that Duke's humour evolved in Forever was even worse than the gameplay. I'm not above piss shit and boobs jokes, but Forever just felt sad and awkward in most of its delivery.

I take Frederik Schreiber's comments as not so much about changing anything that's fundamentally Duke, but just crafting the humour around much more wittier satire.

If you're a fan of the TV series Archer, think of Duke as a similar character to that, and how much more self aware it is when doing the dick and fart joke stuff.
Mantorok
Posted 04:10pm 03/2/14
In this thread, people forget Duke Nukem existed before Duke Nukem 3D.
Fuzzy
Posted 04:15pm 03/2/14
Like Dan said, I think the crude yet witty humour of Archer is the next step for Duke. I love my ass and tits joke as much as the rest of you, but there was a time for that, and I think Forever showed us that era of Duke is over.

I'm pretty excited actually to see how a grittier, more matured Duke will fair. Nothing wrong with a more serious change, it worked for the Dredd and the Total Recall remake (IMO)

Besides, whatever the plan is I'm sure it won't be anywhere near as bad as Forever.
Protius
Posted 04:45pm 03/2/14
If the era of Duke is over, then make the character someone else?
Tollaz0r!
Posted 05:39pm 03/2/14
Yeah Duke is Duke. I'm all for an Archer type character it doesn't have to be Duke though. Just make it an Archer game lol.
ravn0s
Posted 06:46pm 03/2/14
they should have gone with old school sidescroller instead of top down.
Trex0321
Posted 11:06pm 03/2/14
at least itll be better than BF4. no matter what shit they pump out...
Fuzzy
Posted 05:05am 04/2/14
'People wrote books and movies, movies that had stories so you cared whose ass it was and why it was farting, and I believe that time can come again!'

I'm not saying Duke himself is done, I just think his humour needs to evolve a bit.
groganus
Posted 09:30am 04/2/14
I personally didn't mind DNF (and i still don't get all the hate), I regressed to my 10yr old self and laughed out loud to most the game.

Whilst outside of playing it my tastes in humor have matured it was still a good throwback to a time that was.
glynd
Posted 09:32am 04/2/14
Top down shooter in vein of the original duke nukem? I can dig it. The first person shooter duke needs to go into an induced coma for a while. Something fresh might change it up a bit.

image
ravn0s
Posted 11:04am 04/2/14
Top down shooter in vein of the original duke nukem?

it wasn't top down, it was a sidescroller/platform game.
glynd
Posted 11:35am 04/2/14

it wasn't top down, it was a sidescroller/platform game.

I know, I meant a top down shooter influenced by the original Duke. I vein may have been a bad choice of words. I could be completely wrong cause I haven't played it in an age but from what I remember of Duke, he was more "serious" than the Duke Nukem 3D.
You must be logged in to post a comment. Log in now!