Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Philosophy, literature & science
Phooks
Brisbane, Queensland
2919 posts
Let's have a thread about stuff that isn't religion or politics! POP QUIZ MOTHERF*****:

- What's your favourite factoid/theory/paradox, about the universe, humanity/reality etc?

- What is a book you can recommend?

- What's your favourite quote or monologue?

- What tattoo do you have or would you get if you, like, JUST HAD TO GET ONE, man? Why?

Also if anyone has any palatable online learning resources feel free to share yo. I've been hitting up this online yale course which is alright. andd go
11:27pm 21/12/14 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:27pm 21/12/14 Permalink
Phooks
Brisbane, Queensland
2920 posts
alrighty

- What's your favourite factoid/theory/paradox, about the universe, humanity/reality etc?
I freakin' love the fermi paradox, which is basically that the universe is so big and old, the probability that civilisations have achieved interstellar travel by now is close to 1, but we still haven't heard or contacted any aliens. This has really cool ramifications for what could be the cause of this. I like the ideas that aleins are either existing on a different 'plane' to us after reaching anything close to instellar travel, or something happens before interstellar travel to civilizations that cause them to not even want to expland. (some sort of civilisation-level, hedonistic AI & transhuman-type scenario)

Currently reading The Magic Mountain. It's pretty whack. Is time even REAL or is it a CONSTRUCT OF OUR HUMAN EXPERIENCE? also 'Childhood's End', because it's the biggest LOL of a sci fi book I've ever read.

either 'to improve is to change, to be perfect is to change often', or 'Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely.'

- What tattoo do you have or would you get if you, like, JUST HAD TO GET ONE, man? Why?
Sisyphus, because Albere Camoo is da bomb
11:41pm 21/12/14 Permalink
zaraq
Adelaide, South Australia
382 posts
Well i would like to discuss some Thunder Bird physics,or the lack there of.
(Story line).
"There is a problem with a space station it is out of control and heading for the sun,Thunder birds leap into a space ship and have a successful rescue."

1)How do they even get into space with a ship powered by gunpowder.

2)How is it possible for their space ship to travel to the sun in no time at all.

3) The corona of the sun reaches between one and three million degrees.

4)There is a problem of terrestrial distance the military can't get their fast enough (even though they have jets) but the Thunderbirds can.

5)All of their vessels are huge lumbering un- aerodynamic.

There are many more crazy and improbable concepts in the Thunderbird world.
02:01am 22/12/14 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
18445 posts
Is time even REAL or is it a CONSTRUCT OF OUR HUMAN EXPERIENCE?

is it written by jaden and willow smith?
09:23am 22/12/14 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11175 posts
1. I'm still amazed that some radio signals 'bounce' or 'skip' off the ionosphere. My uncle tells stories of talking on his CB radio in his truck in central QLD in the 80s and instead of talking to the local plant operator 10k away, he ended up talking to some guy in Baltimore.

2. Probably not Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Just too weird.
Probably Tuesdays with Morrie

3. You take the good with the bad

4. Dunno.
09:45am 22/12/14 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
24756 posts
First of all, factoid means something that is commonly said but isn't true.

My favourite paradox or real magic as I like to call it is the double-slit experiment.

Here's a video that will explain it far better than I can

It's some seriously unexplainable s***. Unless you want to suggest that the light particles have some sort of basic consciousness that allows them to detect when they're being observed.

I have a real unexotic taste in books so I'd only be recommending something from Stephen King of Dean Koontz that you've already read.

There's heaps but this one comes to mind now because I watched it lately

I remember seeing that as thirteen year old kid and just thinking it was the most awesome thing ever, and it was. Just don't pay too close attention to the background of the battle scenes.

Something Beatles related.
11:40pm 23/12/14 Permalink
konstie
Melbourne, Victoria
2475 posts
that was awesome fpot. that experiment is great.
11:54pm 23/12/14 Permalink
TicMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9194 posts
What's your favourite factoid/theory/paradox, about the universe, humanity/reality etc?
Fermi Paradox
tldr; we're f***ed.

What is a book you can recommend?

How to win friends and influence people for business peeps.
Game of Thrones series for fantasy peeps.
Tom Clancy books for spy type s*** peeps.
Snow Crash for Neal Stephensen peeps.

What's your favourite quote or monologue?

I don't really have a favorite to be honest. I read something earlier today which has stuck in my head and that was "Tomorrow is not guaranteed".

What tattoo do you have or would you get if you, like, JUST HAD TO GET ONE, man? Why?

Only tatt I want to get is the $30mil Saturday week. Wifey has one on her stomach which blows peoples minds as she's the least likely person ever to get a tattoo if you ever met her. If I had to get one, I think it be something to do with my family history (coat of arms, flag, etc).
12:42am 24/12/14 Permalink
baz
Victoria
763 posts

Neuroplasticity - the brains propensity to physically change.

Relating to fpots double slit experiment, quantum entanglement or quantum synchronicity is an interesting theory that proposes that we are all connected by an as yet unobservable force of nature. Buddhist monks have known or 'felt' that we are all one organism for thousands of years but science slowly starting to have a closer look at the pseudo-science pile.

I wasn't inclined to try and make sense of all the findings but the this essay is an example of the progressive attitude of contemporary science and thought this quote was poignant.

The notion that consciousness may be related to the formation of physical reality has come to be associated more with medieval magic and so-called New Age ideas than it is with sober science. As a result, it is safer for one’s scientific career to avoid associating with such dubious topics and subse- quently rare to find experiments examining these ideas in the physics literature. Indeed, the taboo is so robust that until recently it had extended to any test of the foundations of quantum theory. For more than 50 years such studies were considered unsuitable for serious investigators
http://www.deanradin.com/papers/Physics%20Essays%20Radin%20final.pdf

I prefer Bill Hicks' version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D0BeLz5blM#t=74s

Books - The power of now, and A new earth by Eckhart Tolle.
08:47am 24/12/14 Permalink
cherocha
Queensland
773 posts
Neuroplasticity - the brains propensity to physically change.

You read 'The Brain That Changes Itself' yet?
03:04pm 24/12/14 Permalink
Meddek
Gold Coast, Queensland
2544 posts

We live on a planet with an enormous about of different species we were also not the only ones to have lived on this planet, there is life out there and all the religious nuts wont be able to take it

Freakanomics

Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it

I would get the kids names that I do not have yet
07:42pm 24/12/14 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
22158 posts

We're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anybody want to see second prize?
[Holds up prize] Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.
08:20pm 24/12/14 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
16673 posts
Snowcrash was excellent.
10:52pm 24/12/14 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
16674 posts

Cogito ergo sum, "I think, therefor I am".
What trips me out the most is that everything you know, every thought that you have is based on a filtered perception of what you gather from your senses. Your perception of reality is different from another's perception. How do you know what you are experiencing is actually what is happening?

The Art Of War

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
-Albert Einstein

If could seriously answer this .. I would have one.
11:03pm 24/12/14 Permalink
baz
Victoria
764 posts
Cogito ergo sum, "I think, therefor I am".
What trips me out the most is that everything you know, every thought that you have is based on a filtered perception of what you gather from your senses. Your perception of reality is different from another's perception. How do you know what you are experiencing is actually what is happening?
http://1111now.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/1234792_618071458244597_1789747217_n.jpg

A couple of quotes from 'The Power of Now'...

The philosopher Descartes believed that he had found the most fundamental truth when he made his famous statement: "I think, therefore I am." He had, in fact, given expression to the most basic error: to equate thinking with Being and identity with thinking. The compulsive thinker, which means almost everyone, lives in a state of apparent separateness, in an insanely complex world of continuous problems and conflict, a world that reflects the ever-increasing fragmentation of the mind.
What is the greatest obstacle to experiencing this reality? Identification with your mind, which causes thought to become compulsive. Not to be able to stop thinking is a dreadful affliction, but we don't realize this because almost everybody is suffering from it, so it is considered normal. This incessant mental noise prevents you from finding that realm of inner stillness that is inseparable from Being. It also creates a false mind-made self that casts a shadow of fear and suffering.

Evidently thinking for many people is an uninterrupted stream of noise that distracts us from our true self. Identifying ourselves with our mind (ego) stops us from hearing our true selves. Our brains can be a very useful tool if used correctly but a very destructive tool in used wrongly but we also have a second dimension of our selves that can observe our thoughts and correct or dismiss any thoughts that don't align with our true selves. Tolle explains that we should stop identifying ourselves as that stream of internal dialogue as it just serves the ego and keeps the thinker in a constant state of delusion.

Identifying the difference between your thoughts and your 'being' is beneficial and alot of meditation techniques are utilised to calm the thoughts down to a point where they actually stop. This is not an easy thing to do. If you can go 10 seconds without a thought popping into your consciousness, for most people, this is good. If you try it now......you will experience the thoughts and the observer and may see that you have very little control over your thoughts. Its a constant barrage of s*** for the most part.

The more I spend here on AG the more I understand and admire the community here and have presumed so far that most of you guys are good people. In saying that I don't want you to think that I am trying to preach anything to you, I am by no means a zen master, I just find psychology interesting and want to pick your brains.....

Another quote I have liked for decades.

http://izquotes.com/quotes-pictures/quote-nothing-in-the-world-can-take-the-place-of-persistence-talent-will-not-nothing-is-more-common-calvin-coolidge-282291.jpg
02:52pm 26/12/14 Permalink
baz
Victoria
765 posts
The Fermi Paradox....

Perhaps.... its no different to believing in god.
Humans have grown tired of the old gods and need something new to believe.

If there are other civilisations that are millions of years more advanced than us, chances are they think we a a pack of d*******s and prolly don't want to touch us with a barge-pole cos we would most likely be hostile. Either that or they are just as likely to communicate with us as we are to communicate with a sexually transmitted disease.

Stars don't really blow my skirt up.
07:21pm 26/12/14 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
38748 posts
Snowcrash was excellent.

i read snowcrash on the reconmendation of qgl, it was ok, definately ahead of its time.
07:53pm 26/12/14 Permalink
Rukh
Brisbane, Queensland
915 posts
Not religion or politics? At present I would probably go with my support of egalitarianism and exposing the bulls*** that is the modern feminist movement.
09:25pm 26/12/14 Permalink
baz
Victoria
767 posts
12:16am 29/12/14 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
24764 posts
This is always awesome

A total repost but f*** it. It's so cool I won't rest until every living being has seen it.
08:58pm 30/12/14 Permalink
Roonee
Perth, Western Australia
208 posts
My favourite paradox or real magic as I like to call it is the double-slit experiment.

I can't see anything in the wiki article about particles being affected by the act of observation apart from, "Richard Feynman also proposed (as a thought experiment) that if detectors would be placed before each slit, the interference pattern will disappear."

The reason for the disappearance would be the impact of the tool used for observation.... and it's just a thought experiment anyway.

Seems to be the standard 'humans are special and have magical powers and so can impact the physical world with their subjectivity' that naive, new age, pop-culture loving kiddies who've watched too much star wars (even the 2003 micro-series which was pretty good) believe because they aren't educated enough to know how much our christian heritage shapes our entire psychology and so need to believe that they'll one day have telekinetic powers if they just "evolve" a bit more because they need something to fill the void and confirmation of specialness that religious belief normally fills.

S*** it's 11pm.. better go somewhere and pretend to like people. F*****g stupid gun laws. Get f***ed f*****g hippie c****.
02:04am 01/01/15 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15700 posts
#1 Fermi taken x1000, going with my backup. I love humanity's capacity for cognitive dissonance. Its so in-congruent and once it's brought to your attention (thanks Billy H!) you see it EVERYWHERE.

#2 Recently spent a lot of time in planes. Can recommend Brandon Sanderson's mistborn series for a bit of OK, easy-read fantasy. Was also given Molly Meldrum's recent autobiography which is surprisingly good.

#3 SAY WHAT AGAIN! Also the whole monologue at the end, you know the one.

#4 I would design my own. My brother wears ink that I designed, makes it very personal.
12:06pm 01/01/15 Permalink
beau
Brisbane, Queensland
454 posts
Probably that space, and time, are exactly the same thing, and that everything is constantly moving at the speed of light. Whether simply sitting in your chair motionless, or driving a car at 100km/h, it all means you are moving at the speed of light through spacetime.

The double slit experiment is pretty cool too

Can't really comment on any of the other things
01:22pm 01/01/15 Permalink
baz
Victoria
770 posts
I love humanity's capacity for cognitive dissonance. Its so in-congruent and once it's brought to your attention (thanks Billy H!) you see it EVERYWHERE.

Is that the same as once you buy a car you see them everywhere...whos Billy H?
09:22pm 01/01/15 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
24770 posts
I can't see anything in the wiki article about particles being affected by the act of observation apart from, "Richard Feynman also proposed (as a thought experiment) that if detectors would be placed before each slit, the interference pattern will disappear."
Well that kind of sucks because the video presents it like the experiment actually took place. I am caught in a weird nexus here between believing a youtube video or a wikipedia article.

I was being facetious when I called it real magic. Like Arthur C. Clarke once said, any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Take a smartphone back 100 years and even without connectivity it will still seem like magic to the people from that time. You'd wouldn't be able to even explain it to them. I reckon we're at or just a bit above that stage when it comes to quantum physics. There are things we can hypothesise and even observe that are at this point totally unexplainable. It is easy to say the observer did it because it's for all we know the only variable in the experiment. The question is how did the presence of an observer change things?
09:38pm 01/01/15 Permalink
baz
Victoria
725 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: Not Relevant
10:10pm 01/01/15 Permalink
baz
Victoria
727 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: Not Relevant
12:18am 02/01/15 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15703 posts
Is that the same as once you buy a car you see them everywhere...

No, its the way we deal with inconsistent behaviours and attitudes. A good example is a fat person, ostensibly on a diet and trying to lose weight, having a few cheeseburgers. Their behaviour is internally inconsistent, which is uncomfortable, so the person resolves the conflict by telling themselves things like 'had a bad day so I deserve this', 'I'll make it up tomorrow' or 'I'm going for a run later today so its ok'.
whos Billy H?

This makes me :(
12:22pm 02/01/15 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
16707 posts
so the person resolves the conflict by telling themselves things like 'had a bad day so I deserve this', 'I'll make it up tomorrow' or 'I'm going for a run later today so its ok'.

OR to put it into computer game language:

This hitreg is crap, this server is laggy. Asif that didn't hit. What! I shot him 5 times.
01:33pm 02/01/15 Permalink
Sir Redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
1563 posts

What happens to an electron which jumps to the event horizon?
http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/110357/what-happens-when-an-electron-jumps-through-the-event-horizon-of-a-black-hole

I'm not super big into fantasy novels, but American Gods was pretty awesome.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Gods

In victory you deserve champagne, in defeat you need it. - Napoleon.
06:26pm 03/01/15 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
10601 posts
your favourite factoid/theory/paradox, about the universe, humanity/reality etc?

shot down to the end of the thread without reading anything else.

are you attempting AI OP?
10:14pm 03/01/15 Permalink
baz
Victoria
774 posts

This makes me :(

I was referring to the "once its brought to your attention, you see it EVERYWHERE" comment. Sorry I should have quoted that exact bit to make it more clearer.
If you buy a new car you see them everywhere, or if are into star-signs, you see them everywhere.

The cognitive dissonance thing is cool except for the fact that mental illness is EVERYWHERE and labeling one minute portion of it seems a bit meh, certainly not worthy of a notable phenomenon that could be runner up to fermies aliens or whatever.
12:40am 04/01/15 Permalink
cherocha
Queensland
775 posts
Favouroute theory atm is M-theory, and the many-worlds interpretation. Hard to not get on that slant after watching Mr Nobody.

Favourite book is The Drifters, closely followed by Bill Bryson's A short History of Nearly Everything, then Capricornia, by Xavier Herbert. Would recommend all three to anybody.

Favourite quote: “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Heres Tom with the Weather.” - Bill Hicks

Have a couple of tats that don't hold much meaning to me beyond being reminders of who I was. Have plans to get a partial sleeve consisting of a couple of Alex Grey paintings that symbolise some important realisations and milestones in my life. What I've got in mind is similar to Joe Rogan's beastly sleeve.
03:46am 04/01/15 Permalink
Viper119
Other International
2564 posts
The Fermi Paradox, Drake Equation and Great Filter are some of my favourites, expertly distlled in the article form the WaitBuyWhy blog that Phooks linked.

Hadn't seen the double split experiment before fpot, unreal!

Otherwise, these Open Uni shorts on classic philosophy concepts are great:

12:14am 06/01/15 Permalink
Mantis
Brisbane, Queensland
1291 posts

I like the idea that there is no such thing as Random. If you could know everything in existance all at once, i believe you could then predict the future forever. You could possibly even rewind/replay the past. Everything is a result of circumstance and what we percieve as Random is just us not knowing about something that has affected the outcome. Also like Fermi. Was explaining that one (poorly) to the wife last night.

Love the 2 Triffid books. Currently reading the "Tomorrow, When the war began" series which is enjoyable. Permutation City is an interesting read (by an Aussie too). Foundation series is good. So is Recluse Saga.

"If our reach does not exceed our grasp, then what is the universe for?" (slight change on an old one by Robert Browning)

Love mine even after 4.5years. Managed to pickup a hot GF who became a hot wife while having it so can't be too horrible. :)

http://inta-link.com/tattoo/tattoo.jpg

10:00am 06/01/15 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
16729 posts

I like the idea that there is no such thing as Random. If you could know everything in existance all at once, i believe you could then predict the future forever. You could possibly even rewind/replay the past.

That is not necessarily the case.
10:43am 06/01/15 Permalink
Phooks
Brisbane, Queensland
2928 posts
That is not necessarily the case

I'd reckon it is, only you'd need an unfathomable amount of analytics and computing power/speed
11:20am 06/01/15 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15713 posts
I'd reckon it is, only you'd need an unfathomable amount of analytics and computing power/speed

In order to predict the future you need both the position and momentum of fundamental particles. This is ... problematic, especially for unfortunate cats.
01:08pm 06/01/15 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
24781 posts
You'd also need all the information at the same time, and because the maximum speed that information can be transferred is the speed of light it wouldn't be available.
01:09pm 06/01/15 Permalink
Phooks
Brisbane, Queensland
2932 posts
you need both the position and momentum of fundamental particles. This is ... problematic

Maybe one day we can murder that pesky Heisenberg principle, and all of it's children.

I'd be a pretty great evil scientist
09:41pm 06/01/15 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
16734 posts

That's under the assumption that everything is is cause and effect, deep down in tiny world of physics, that may not be so. Particles popping into and out of existence in vacuum for instance.
09:45pm 06/01/15 Permalink
Phooks
Brisbane, Queensland
2933 posts
Is that really of much consequence though? I mean the quantum world is great but nothing really runs/moves/lives in the quantum world?
09:48pm 06/01/15 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15720 posts
Is that really of much consequence though? I mean the quantum world is great but nothing really runs/moves/lives in the quantum world?

Quantum mechanics describes the real world that we live in and addresses issues with newtonian physics, they're not separate.

It picks up where newtonian physics starts to fail. In order for your Big Brain to do what you want it would need to address the heisenberg uncertainty principle. We're not talking about string theory here, this is about being able to accurately track relatively large particles like electrons. It has huge consequences for causality directly relevant to the notion of building a state machine that could predict the future.

http://www.aip.org/history/heisenberg/p08.htm

Underneath the hood the universe is built on a chance engine.
10:38am 07/01/15 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
16737 posts
Ah, the moment a 100% State machine is built, the universe ceases to exist. That would suck.
11:20am 07/01/15 Permalink
Roonee
Perth, Western Australia
214 posts
I guess my favourite factoid/paradox is the persistent assumption or view that subjectivity, or human observation or simply the human capacity for observation, can have an objective impact.

Schrodingers cat got me started because it seemed really stupid to take a lack of knowledge on the part of the observer, make it part of the equation and then call it all a paradox. Ridiculous even.

What that experiment reveals is that for quantum physics(QP) (which represents things (technically particles, but then it works its way up to cats or protaganists or whatever) in terms of probabilities) to be an objective representation of reality the variable represented by the observer (who may or may not be the one doing the actual calculations) is a necessary part of the equation. Thus, every time I've come across a claim of broken physics, whether it's 2 cats at once or 2 particles in the same place at the same time or particles being affected by observation (which could also be explained by light from the cameras btw, photons attract photons which affect electrons or some s***), and that I've been able to understand of course, they've ALWAYS been easy to explain with limitations on the part of the observer.

The worst cases are experiments that actually try and prove that QP is an objective representation of reality because they always use circular logic - for the experiment to be true and prove that QP is 'real', they have to assume that QP is 'real' as part of the equation. People have even tried to do that with Schrodingers cat.

However...... most physicists dont try and make this claim. But ironically, the brilliant physicists that do try and make this claim are lacking an understanding in very basic philosphy. Less ironically (but still ironical) it's a lack of historical understanding and the impact of our judeo-christian heritage on our cultural psychology - the claim from the QP realists is one of human specialness: humans are so special that they can at times contradict physics; subjectivity, consciousness, freewill are all scientific miracles. But in order to prove this scientifically they must first assume it is true. And the reason why they usually get away with it, or why the assumption is considered at all sound in the first place, is that we have inherited at the cultural level that very same assumption - most(if not all) atheistic or natural philosophies are premised on it as well - the inherent value and abilities of the subject which rarely require validation.

TL;DR version...

Schrodingers Cat Experiment

That experiment is stupid. It also represents how quantum physics works.

Just ask the f*****g cat.
04:36pm 07/01/15 Permalink
baz
Victoria
778 posts
Well said Roonee,

Whats your take on the phenomenon of creativity.
Where does it come from?
I propose that it is separate from critical thought and comes from a place with a lack of structured thought and more of a free mental state.

I just wonder if creativity can be linked to the 'human specialness' we have always entertained as a species and I don't believe it is as easily disregarded as a "judo-christian" relic of our cultural mindset.
06:16pm 07/01/15 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15721 posts
You're an idiot, Roonee.
07:39pm 07/01/15 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
24787 posts
You're an idiot, Roonee.
08:44pm 07/01/15 Permalink
baz
Victoria
782 posts
I think this will explain it better.

Creative.

Not creative.
11:25pm 07/01/15 Permalink
baz
Victoria
788 posts
F***, I should have popped a "thus" in my argument for credulity.
08:59pm 12/01/15 Permalink
StopShootingMe
Brisbane, Queensland
3630 posts
Thus, every time I've come across a claim of broken physics, whether it's 2 cats at once or 2 particles in the same place at the same time or particles being affected by observation (which could also be explained by light from the cameras btw, photons attract photons which affect electrons or some s***), and that I've been able to understand of course, they've ALWAYS been easy to explain with limitations on the part of the observer.

Okay, my contribution to this thread is on the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Essentially, the less competent an individual is within a given endeavour, the more likely that individual is to rate themselves as very competent. Conversely, more competent individuals tend to "know how much they don't know" and thus rate themselves as less competent than they really are.

Here's an ABC transcript, there's an audio version if you prefer.

The dumb get confident, while the intelligent get doubtful. That's the conclusion that David Dunning and Justin Kruger came to when studying people's perceptions of their own talents. What has now become known as the Dunning-Kruger effect helps describe why lay people often act as experts and inept pollies get our votes.
09:35pm 12/01/15 Permalink
StopShootingMe
Brisbane, Queensland
3631 posts
you definitely need a thus in there bro

There is one!

*Edit* Nice ninja edit, baz :) But read more carefully next time.

last edited by StopShootingMe at 22:36:47 12/Jan/15
10:34pm 12/01/15 Permalink
StopShootingMe
Brisbane, Queensland
3632 posts
Okay, how about Dunbar's Number?

The brain has a finite physical capacity for empathy. The numbers vary from individual to individual, but the best guess for the maximum number of stable concurrent relationships for the average human is 150. You can cheat the system by, for example, using one of those 150 "slots" (my simplification, there) to cover a number of individuals joined by some abstract like nationality, race, language group or whatever. The important thing is that the notion of Dunbar's Number explains why you can intellectually know that thousands of people are dying a long way away from disease or what-have-you, but genuinely be emotionally untroubled by it. The brain is only built to empathise with the members of relatively small, geographically immediate groups. There has never been evolutionary pressure encouraging us to care about people half a world away.

Dunbar's surveys of village and tribe sizes also appeared to approximate this predicted value, including 150 as the estimated size of a Neolithic farming village; 150 as the splitting point of Hutterite settlements; 200 as the upper bound on the number of academics in a discipline's sub-specialization; 150 as the basic unit size of professional armies in Roman antiquity and in modern times since the 16th century; and notions of appropriate company size.

For primates the number of relationships correlates strongly with the volume of the neocortex, so if you were to take a brain from whatever species of primate, cut it up and measure the volume of the neocortex you could make a solid estimate as to what numbers would comprise a group/troop/gang of that primate. Greatly exceed that number and the group/troop/gang splits up.
10:58pm 12/01/15 Permalink
baz
Victoria
790 posts
I have a very small tribegang and I dont do facebook so I cant comment.
11:16pm 12/01/15 Permalink
StopShootingMe
Brisbane, Queensland
3633 posts
I'm getting back to the OP.

^^ Done! There's two right there.

Be less specific, why don't you? How about Blindsight, by Peter Watts. Available on the author's website because he's a cool dude who'll accept a donation if you liked his work here, or if you're willing to just take my word for it that this is a genuinely great work of modern hard science fiction covering such concepts as human consciousness and the existence of free will in a badass future setting, just buy it from Book Depository here.

Going for monologues because they're easier to choose from. Have two, chumps and chumpettes:
Macbeth's soliloquy from Shakespeare's Macbeth:

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Roy Batty's soliloquy from Ridley Scott's Blade Runner, because f*** you.

I have… seen things you people wouldn't believe… Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those… moments… will be lost in time, like... tears… in… rain. Time… to die…

Wouldn't. But if I had to, I'd get (on the backs of my right hand fingers) the angle above the horizon each finger represents when held at arm's length (cumulatively from right pinky to all four fingers). It would never be useful, ever, because I'll never need to use my hand as an emergency sextant. But I navigate at sea for a living so I guess I could do it to be a special snowflake.

last edited by StopShootingMe at 23:28:13 12/Jan/15
11:26pm 12/01/15 Permalink
trillion
Gladstone, Queensland
3715 posts

i can never remember one in particular, but i like listening to speakers / celebrity science & theory communicators whenever i can

i finished reading one recently called How To Be Alone by Sara Maitland. it's a bit of a cosy read over a couple of commutes or afternoon laying about. good for if you're searching for some reasoning and insights into social perceptions / alone time by a well written author. not worth the $11.99 pricetag though, moreso $5.99. you can buy some good albums at that mid to high price....

i'll probably pickup again on H is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald when the time is right

at the moment probably 'History never repeats itself but it rhymes' Mark Twain

i don't really like the idea of permanent ink. i don't mind seeing nice art that isn't skulls and bones or all deathy but it's not something i'd go out of my way to have done. if really pressed then probably the one my brother had done across his back, just because bro's
08:56pm 13/01/15 Permalink
baz
Victoria
815 posts
If this thread had more interaction, it would be useful.

Its no more interesting than a favorite movie thread as it stands.

Are we prepared to just upload our comments from OP and leave it at that, or are we interested in engaging in an organic dialogue that could become something more meaningful than a fragmented account of our experiences..
01:08am 30/01/15 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:08am 30/01/15 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.