Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Best solvent to remove car window tint glue!
Jimbo
Brisbane, Queensland
389 posts
Anyone a pro at this?

Tried turps and a citrus based solvent thats supposed to do wonders. I am have all the tint off and the rear demister still works. The tint has been there for about 20 years and the windows are foggy, blurry and have a brownish orange tinge.

I should add i think they put the tint over the top of the factory tinting, so i dont really want to use razor blades as the factory tint appears fine.

What do i need to get them clean? Im about to try a credit card as im told that can help.

What do you think? Got any mad glue disolvers? The glass doesnt even feel sticky! its a real prick.
05:52pm 13/03/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:52pm 13/03/10 Permalink
FocaL
Brisbane, Queensland
148 posts
Acetone is good for some adhesives. If you know the type of adhesive the spec sheet will have the solvents.

Also found this,
http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Window-Tint

last edited by FocaL at 17:58:07 13/Mar/10
05:56pm 13/03/10 Permalink
cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
1570 posts
what you want is to put your car in the shade, get an ammonia based cleaner, get a few chux and cover the tint with chux soaked in the solvent/cleaner, and let it sit for 20 or 30 minutes.

dont underestimate the job, its an absolute s*** of a job
05:58pm 13/03/10 Permalink
Martz
Brisbane, Queensland
2618 posts
Factory tint isn't an overlay is it? I thought the tint was in the glass itself. If that's the case then a razor blade would do the trick. You can get special ones from bunnings, a lot bigger than a standard razor. Even with the ease of a razor it's a c*** of a job.
06:08pm 13/03/10 Permalink
Jimbo
Brisbane, Queensland
390 posts
im starting to think maybe it was half the tint i took off, leaving one half the tint (delaminate?) instead of leaving just the glue. Im going to try with the razor tomorrow. Either the tint comes off or my wrists do
06:23pm 13/03/10 Permalink
iWhoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15682 posts
Read my posts in your own thread, I told you what to use to get the glue off. Just don't get it on the door trims.

last edited by iWhoop at 19:32:37 13/Mar/10
07:31pm 13/03/10 Permalink
Trin
Brisbane, Queensland
2889 posts
Just go get some general purpose thinners
07:34pm 13/03/10 Permalink
sleepy
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
1196 posts
eucalyptus oil.. IT WILL WORK.

also anyone know what the best stuff to use to clean car paint with. i want to try to get some stubburn dirt out of paintwork before i sell my van.

08:17pm 13/03/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
6871 posts
just a slight cutting compound will do the trick sleepy
then follow up with a polish

sometimes you can get a mild-cut&polish as one product
08:23pm 13/03/10 Permalink
sleepy
1197 posts
ta. will give it a go
09:50pm 13/03/10 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
4582 posts
Factory tint isn't an overlay is it? I thought the tint was in the glass itself.
Usually factory tint is just a fancy marketing term for the dealership installing tint before you drive away with the car.
01:54am 14/03/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
6878 posts
No, factory tint is usually the govt mandated 'colouration' of the glass that provides an SPF15+ protection from the sun
09:57am 14/03/10 Permalink
Protius
Brisbane, Queensland
4149 posts
http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/products/all_brands/exterior/clay_bars_and_kits

This is what you want sleepy, a clay bar kit. All the tough grime and s*** sticks to the clay bar.
10:58am 14/03/10 Permalink
sleepy
1198 posts
just watched a video example of that stuff.

looks like it will do the job.

12:54pm 14/03/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:54pm 14/03/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.