Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
AU creates worlds smallest + precise transistor
gamer
2289 posts
Check it out here

SYDNEY scientists have built the world's tiniest transistor by precisely positioning a single phosphorus atom in a silicon crystal.
The nano device is an important step in the development of quantum computers – super-powerful devices that will use the weird quantum properties of atoms to perform calculations billions of times faster than today's computers.
Michelle Simmons, of the University of NSW, said single atom devices had only been made before by chance and their margin of error for placement of the atom was about 10 nanometres, which affected performance.

Creating a single atom transistor isn't the breakthrough here. The real breakthrough is that they can position a single atom with a 1 atom accuracy. Usually the error rate for positioning these atoms was 10atoms^3 which meant in the past that reliable circuits etc couldn't be made.
01:31pm 21/02/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:31pm 21/02/12 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6698 posts
pretty damn cool. it will be interesting to see what component manufacturers pickup the tech.
02:23pm 21/02/12 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
6530 posts
Still no cure for cancer.
10:31pm 21/02/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
12679 posts
Still no cure for cancer.

That's because 'cancer' isn't one disease. An increasing number of cancers are highly treatable.
10:33pm 21/02/12 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
3792 posts
tech will be sold to the Americans due to lack of funding in..5...4...3...2...1..

last edited by TufNuT at 22:43:44 21/Feb/12
10:42pm 21/02/12 Permalink
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
604 posts
Pfft who cares. We don't need no super computers. We already have unlimited graphics thanks to whats his face
11:28pm 21/02/12 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
6958 posts
So basically we'll have either extremely small CPU dies or extremely complex, incredibly cached up, many core CPUs at the same size. If this is able to be implemented into CPU construction eventually, it'll mean really powerful mobile CPUs, or thinner mobiles.
12:05am 22/02/12 Permalink
f**les
Brisbane, Queensland
6013 posts
Welldone Australia that s*** is awesome.
Can't wait to install my first computer implant. Should I put it in my wrist for the mic or just have it straight in my cheek?
12:15am 22/02/12 Permalink
Matt
USA
944 posts
You aren't going to see this tech in computers any time soon. They made this transistor using an STM - that's going to be an extremely slow process. Now times that by the number of transistors in a modern CPU. A whole CPU made out of these would also be extremely unreliable. All it would take is one dopant atom diffusing and you're done (unless you operate near 0K).

Very cool proof of concept though.
02:03am 22/02/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5534 posts
Pfft who cares. We don't need no super computers. We already have unlimited graphics thanks to whats his face

What's his face was actually meant to give a presentation to some Surveyors / Spatial Scientists. Apparently they can adapt his game software to show our many, many, many million point ALS (3D Land / Ground / Building) data without falter or stutter. Not sure what ever happened to it, told the boss I was interested in seeing it, live... with our data. Don't think we heard back yet.
08:28am 22/02/12 Permalink
Alize`
Brisbane, Queensland
1638 posts
04:55pm 22/02/12 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6701 posts
Can't wait to install my first computer implant. Should I put it in my wrist for the mic or just have it straight in my cheek?
cheek. otherwise how are you gonna get rescued when the bad guys have you tied up!? :D
05:48pm 22/02/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:48pm 22/02/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.