Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Winding up QGL
trog
Other International
40017 posts
Around two decades ago, the Queensland Gamers' League was formed to give people in Brisbane and the surrounding areas a way to get together and play multiplayer video games.

It formed from a bunch of people who were playing games together in small LANs and were having a lot of fun doing it, and figured it could only be more fun if there were more people.

Within a couple of years, over 500 people were getting together in the indoor event space at ANZ Stadium, playing games (in some cases non-stop) for an entire weekend. While some of the more serious competitive players won a share in thousands of dollars in prizes, the vast majority of players were there for one real reason: to just have fun playing games together.

For various reasons, QGL events simply stopped a long time ago. The biggest reason was the venue was no longer available, and despite looking at many places, it was hard to find something else that was suitable. Of course, broadband Internet was finally taking off in Australia too, which meant instead of hauling gear across town, we could play from the comfort of our own home, with people from all over the country and even the world.

For better or for worse, gaming LANs became a thing of the past for many people. Several times, the QGL team had discussions about trying again but the logistical difficulties proved too great, and ultimately even though the status of the Next Event has remained Unknown for many years, the reality is that it will probably be Never.

A few years ago, the QGL team was contacted by the Queensland government, who mentioned that we had not filed any paperwork with them for some time. We had not formally closed down QGL - a registered not-for-profit association - and we still had some money in our bank account (despite the bank's best efforts with fees over the years), which they wanted more information about how it was going to be distributed.

If the organisation was defunct, the government would happily take all the money, at which point it would go to the Queensland Public Trustee. While the Public Trustee is a great organisation that does excellent work for Queenslanders, the QGL team thought it would be better if the outstanding money was donated to specific charities and organisations that we felt would make good use of them.

As a result, a few months ago, the QGL team members voted to donate the leftover money the QGL had in its bank account (a few thousand dollars) and it was distributed to the following organisations:

- Children's Hospital Foundation (the majority went here)
- Electronic Frontiers Australia
- Make-a-Wish Australia
- Australian STEM Video Game Challenge
- Cancer Council Queensland
- Checkpoint
- MS Queensland
- Digital Rights Watch

Each organisation was contacted individually and given a brief history of the QGL and an explanation into why the members chose them for donation. Several of these organisations provide services in which video gaming does or can play a significant role, and we hope the donations will be used in the spirit in which they were generated - using video games to connect people. Each organisation responded and were very thankful to receive the donations. As these donations were mostly made up from QGL attendees, all these thanks fall to everyone who came - if you ever paid an entry fee, or bought a can of soft drink or a sub or a steak burger.

The members also voted to formally wind up the association, at which point the government de-registered it.

While the entity that was the Queensland Gamers' League is no more, we hope its legacy will live on for many more decades. Many QGL attendees are still in close contact - indeed, several of the QGL organising team ended up working together for many years alongside others met through other gaming LANs around Australia, on AusGamers and other online gaming projects. We hope that you still enjoy playing games online with the friends you made at QGL events.

The QGL team would like to thank everyone who ever came to an event for making them what they were. Remembering that the reason we wanted to run events in the first place was to have more people to play games with ourselves, we definitely got what we wanted, and we hope everyone has great memories of their time at QGL events.

There are too many people to individually thank for their support over the years - regular attendees who helped with the logistics of the event, like setting up tables and chairs or helping clean up at the end of it. In particular big thanks should go to Obes, Storm, AcidReign, E.T., Ducker, Lash, aragawn (who came up from Sydney several times to help and play), cold (Melbourne, ditto). Special thanks to BillyHardball (my brother and the only person to ever get paid by QGL) for doing most of the dirty work cleaning up after events, and my friends Nae and Soph for helping out with the barbecue on several occasions.

Also big thanks to the many gamers who the team got to know well - gamers who attended so regularly, who participated in the forums, and who played for the serious competition. StreX, paveway, Boxhead, CaPt0, casa, nF, demon, Limpy, plok, Rukh, Taipan, typo, dethon, Python, Rips#, Spook, existence, HeardY, Guvna, DeePer, maxe, fpot, TicMan, and all the many others. We should also remember our QGL gaming mates who are sadly no longer with us - Mick, maverick, rockape, and no doubt others.

Thanks to the several commercial sponsors who helped out over the years. Cisco, WebCentral, Comindico, BigPond, Jolt, Quantum Electrical and Data, Computer Alliance.

And of course a final thanks to all the members of the QGL team who made these events possible. It took a lot of work from a lot of people - all volunteers - to make these events happen; every team member contributed massively to each event in order to make sure things were set up and ready to go - from organising the venue, hiring the tables and chairs, arranging sponsors, writing software for registrations and forums, configuring and setting up LAN networks, shipping expensive networking gear around the country between LANs, getting insurance, sweating hauling around heavy objects during setup and teardown, cleaning up actual garbage, storing equipment in their homes between events... It was a big list. But we did it because at the end of the day it meant we got to play games together, and with you all. It was a blast!

Thanks to the team: boba, cyph, Electoad, Jim, Khel, Mantra, Mass, Nats, ReaX, reso, Ross, Saint, Term, Tung, VRBones.
01:54pm 01/06/20 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:54pm 01/06/20 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
12349 posts
The QGL LANs were a great time, so long ago now. I made many friends and have heaps of good memories. Thank you QGL!
02:04pm 01/06/20 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
41480 posts
Nice one Troggles!

Qgl has been a large part of my online life. Logging on from my powerup dialup to talk about q2ctf to the political battle that seems to sustain it now. Given me much joy (and a fair bit of sorrow when Infi posts). I have met a heap of awesome people IRL from qgl and paveway also.

Hopefully its not costing anyone anything to run!

I too thank you QGL for everything you have given us.

02:14pm 01/06/20 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
21584 posts
14*

awesome work on donating the money, QGL definitely played a huge part in my life even though i rarely look at it these days after it transformed into 1 giant political thread.

happy to say i am not on the dead QGL member list yet

*the number of names ahead of spook on the thank you list
02:27pm 01/06/20 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
41481 posts
ffs
02:28pm 01/06/20 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
15639 posts
A fitting end if there had to be one. We'll still have to have some manner of reunion gathering at some point in the future for sure, not the best time right now obviously.

QGL played a huge role in my life, leaving me with so many great memories and enduring friendships that I hope continue to provide me with digital competitors and teammates into old age and beyond :).

Thank for you the efforts of everyone involved, and anyone that shared a good time at the Yeronga school halls or ANZ stadium.
03:13pm 01/06/20 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
17032 posts
GG
06:41pm 01/06/20 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
27058 posts
Good job with the donations. Thanks for the memories.
07:10pm 01/06/20 Permalink
Rukh
Brisbane, Queensland
1145 posts
So when's the next QGL?

But yeah, lots of great memories from back then. A bit well done to everyone that made them happen.
09:38pm 02/06/20 Permalink
Qix
Brisbane, Queensland
29 posts
Thanks Trogg. You and the QGL team were legends for organising those LANs.
09:39pm 02/06/20 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
24681 posts
Well done!
09:11am 03/06/20 Permalink
Strik3r
Brisbane, Queensland
2202 posts
Always knew Trog was hoarding the phat QGL lewtz. Sounds like it has gone to a good place.

Thanks for the memories (strangely, the ones about trying to deceive the security guards stick out).
01:06pm 03/06/20 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
5199 posts
Great work Trog. QGL has a special place in memories. Of course, given that I now work at The Public Trustee, I can't help but think how close I came to proxy winning QGL :p
Seriously though, nice work on the donations mate. You and the guys will always have my respect.
07:56pm 03/06/20 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
7983 posts
blast from the past
11:28pm 04/06/20 Permalink
DecayingCorpse
Brisbane, Queensland
2296 posts
Well chosen recipients for the leftover phatlewts.

Rather sombre, but was inevitable I suppose. Last lan I went to was back in 2007 at Capt0's place.

Made some friends for life going to QGL events, and have some very fond memories. So thanks all.
10:53pm 05/06/20 Permalink
deeper
Brisbane, Queensland
4318 posts
Nice one lads - defs great memories.

Friends made, friends forgotten to time in terms of catchups (but not lost) and also friendships reunited over time. Also more recently someone who because of QGL (and associated friendship circles) has become a really great friend and introduced me to his friendship circle of truly amazing people (who are unrelated to QGL).

It's fair to say the efforts of QGL Lans have brought about many lifelong lasting friendships and connections for many - it rings true for me and I have no doubt it also applies to the majority of others.

My understanding (if memory serves) is that things like public liability insurance (combined with broadband) kind of added to the demise.

I know it's effort to lug your kit around these days, but truth be told I miss the days of face to face social gaming.

Sprinkles has invited me to a few (but he lives so far away!).
Defcon and myself have spoken many times how cool it would be to reunite for an event with some of the old crew.
Fodz and myself have the occasional smalltime catchup for some oldschool vibes.

Many laughs, much banter, bit of drama but it was all the good stuff :)

I wonder though... am I the only CS player who is still mates with the Quake players? :p

Cheers for the memories lads!
10:00pm 15/06/20 Permalink
Zenmaster
Queensland
49 posts
thanks for the memories
10:53pm 17/06/20 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11839 posts
fair enough

you chucklef**** have been alright hey
04:10pm 18/06/20 Permalink
Mantis
Brisbane, Queensland
1299 posts

Thanks guys for all you have done.

I had a blast at the few QGLs i attended. :)
09:34am 19/06/20 Permalink
Trin
Brisbane, Queensland
3019 posts
blbk
04:06pm 20/06/20 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
21553 posts
14*

awesome work on donating the money, QGL definitely played a huge part in my life even though i rarely look at it these days after it transformed into 1 giant political thread.

happy to say i am not on the dead QGL member list yet

*the number of names ahead of spook on the thank you list

At least he got a mention ;( haha

Any girls going QGL?
02:29pm 23/06/20 Permalink
FraktuRe
Gold Coast, Queensland
4649 posts
My Avatar has never been more relevant. :(

Edit: I totally forgot I never removed the Santa Hat.
07:57pm 24/06/20 Permalink
Roswell
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
1 posts
Omfg I remember players at the qgl lans at ANZ stadium, in 2001 damn I used to get do stoned and play half life death match and tf2, great times
08:04am 25/06/20 Permalink
Drail Siege
Brisbane, Queensland
402 posts
I still remember the Wireplay Invades Brisbane LAN pretty well. Jolt cola everywhere and for the hemp T-shirts they gave out. Good old days.
10:57pm 30/06/20 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4476 posts
well done Harrison, you’re a true leader. it’s been an honour.
08:18pm 10/07/20 Permalink
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
14401 posts
I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the Harrison bros and everyone else who built the QGL legacy over the years. I had a great time posting here and was always treated with saint-like patience whenever I would whinge to an admin about sub-optimal posting conditions despite never actually going to LANs or contributing to the community in a way that would merit such attention. Thank you!!!

And good work donating the leftover cash, class act to the end

10:46pm 13/07/20 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
41491 posts
maxe from the dead
04:32am 14/07/20 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
1014 posts
I hope it;s okay to revive this thread.

I wanted to say thank you to all the QGL organisers for hosting such amazing LANs. They were the highlight of my teenage years. I still wish for a QGL lan all these years later.

One of my few regrets was not getting to know more of you guys in real life.

Thank you everyone!
01:28am 02/12/20 Permalink
Hemerage
Brisbane, Queensland
15598 posts
I just heard too :(

Great teenager memories too.
Made some great friends through QGL.

Will never forget!
07:24pm 12/12/20 Permalink
mongie
Brisbane, Queensland
7733 posts
Thanks to Trog and the rest of you guys for putting on such a great event.

QGL provided some of the best times of my teenage years. Met a lot of cool people - several are my best mates now.

Hope I wasn't too much of a headache :D
09:41am 05/01/21 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:41am 05/01/21 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.