Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Year9 work experence suggestions
rig
Melbourne, Victoria
1 posts
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any suggestions for placing a year 9 student in work experience in the games (or related ) industry for 2019 in Melbourne?

Thanks
Rig
09:46am 19/09/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:46am 19/09/18 Permalink
Steve Farrelly
AusGamers Editor
Sydney, New South Wales
7811 posts
"Games (or related) industry" is a rather broad field. Do you have something specific you'd like to gain experience in, in the industry? PR, marketing, brand management, writing, community, development, art... ? There's a lot to this industry :)
05:32pm 19/09/18 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
16868 posts
Shame there is f*** all actual dev being done these days in AU.

RIP Team Bondi. They're still reselling it.
03:06pm 22/09/18 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
41194 posts
does it have to be games industry? i can give you work experience as a developer doing 50 hours a week for minimum wage!
03:21pm 22/09/18 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
4103 posts
Look at Mr Moneybags over there offering minimum wage.
08:31am 23/09/18 Permalink
rig
Melbourne, Victoria
2 posts
Hi Steve,

Yeah good point. On the one hand I'd say, for year 9 students any work experience is good work experience, so all of the above. For the year 9 student I had in mind maybe, if at all possible, then more on the creative side: music, art, story, development.

Any suggestions for Melbourne based companies that might be willing to take on a work experience kid for a couple of weeks next year, anyone?

Thanks

Rig
10:07am 26/09/18 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39677 posts
Hi Steve,

Yeah good point. On the one hand I'd say, for year 9 students any work experience is good work experience, so all of the above. For the year 9 student I had in mind maybe, if at all possible, then more on the creative side: music, art, story, development.

Any suggestions for Melbourne based companies that might be willing to take on a work experience kid for a couple of weeks next year, anyone?

Thanks

Rig
It is pretty tough as games companies (well, small companies in general) have enough problems finding qualified staff that they don't really have the resources to find and support work experience people. It has been a common question for the last 15 years and I've never found a good answer. We tried it at AusGamers a couple times but it was just too hard managing volunteers.

It might be worth trying events at coworking spaces to look for more general tech opportunities (startups have the same problems but you'll get exposed to a wider variety of things). York Butter Factory and WeWork in Melb are probably a good place to start for events. Startup Weekends, etc, good places to meet people.
12:08pm 28/09/18 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:08pm 28/09/18 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.