Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Shock and Awe - Prey Reviewed
Joaby
Sydney, New South Wales
561 posts
I played through all of Prey as fast as I could. I'd like to tell I did this to put together a brilliant and well-reasoned review for you, because I did actually write a brilliant and well-reasoned for you, but I actually did it because I after I started playing it I became moderately obsessed with it.

The review is spoiler-free, despite the fact that I really want to talk about spoiler related stuff.

Talos 1, on the other hand, is a place I'd love to live. Well, before the… unpleasantness anyway. That's how you know Prey is a 'Shock' game — because key to those games is a feeling of a paradise turned bad. System Shock — which is clearly the primary source of inspiration for Prey — and BioShock both show you a wonderful, captivating environment and then fill it with nastiness.

Read the review now, and let's talk about Prey in the comments below!
11:07am 08/05/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:07am 08/05/17 Permalink
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
2069 posts
Hmmmmmm

tempting!

Anyone know the cheapest site? G2A? Nevermind I'll have a look and report back :)
12:31pm 08/05/17 Permalink
KostaAndreadis
Melbourne, Victoria
2028 posts
I'm almost 10 or so hours in.... and loving it.... I agree that it's world feels more inviting than Dishonored, and is more exciting to explore.... even if it's all scary af now

Tho Joabs, question.... are you finding it difficult at all? The combat to be seems really hard.... and that's on normal mind you.... now i'm not the best at shooters but i don't have problem with bioshock on hard so to me the balance seems a bit off....

But then again giant mimics should probably be avoided as opposed to trying to take each one out and send them back from wence they came
12:38pm 08/05/17 Permalink
KostaAndreadis
Melbourne, Victoria
2029 posts
as per your review i'll probably whack it on easy.... :)
12:43pm 08/05/17 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
1849 posts
I've watched a bit on YT, it certainly looks interesting enough.

Kind of gave me Dishonoured vibes.

The only real complaint I had about it was how long it took to scan stuff. It seems to be something you have to do to progress and unlock things, yet it's like 5 seconds of standing still each time...
12:44pm 08/05/17 Permalink
Joaby
Sydney, New South Wales
562 posts
lol Kosta yeah, just knock it to easy.

And scanning can take time. It's not really that bad though, it's designed to increase tension, risk/reward style. You need to sort of weigh up your options because sure you could unlock the next level of electric fingers by standing there and staring at the baddy for 5 seconds, but that's 5 seconds you're not spending defending yourself efficiently.
01:06pm 08/05/17 Permalink
Psycho
Brisbane, Queensland
6250 posts
I'm thoroughly enjoying it right now, more so than I did Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Definitely one of the better single player games I've had a bash at over the last few years.
05:28pm 08/05/17 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
2680 posts
I have not been following this at all but I checked wikipedia on it. It sounds more interesting now. Big open levels in a space station. G2A has the standard version for $52 dollarydoos. So I might pick it up.
10:56pm 08/05/17 Permalink
Psycho
Brisbane, Queensland
6251 posts
The only real complaint I had about it was how long it took to scan stuff. It seems to be something you have to do to progress and unlock things, yet it's like 5 seconds of standing still each time...

You can install enhancements etc...to greatly reduce your scanning periods...but the trick is to scan the f*****s when they don't even know you're there.. I love how the game, in a lot of environments, gives you 'other options'...or and 'UP' option if you get my drift... :) * some times its a DOWN option as well......

Had a very Half Life moment just about ten mins ago...electric environment...had to figure out a way across...and damned if I dint think of HL. Sometimes, you will have a System Shock moments as well...its a good game. A f***-ton of side quests...I'm going to have to play it three times i reckon...
01:04am 09/05/17 Permalink
Joaby
Sydney, New South Wales
563 posts
I know that area Psycho. Would love to know how you got across
09:52am 09/05/17 Permalink
Psycho
Brisbane, Queensland
6252 posts
I know that area Psycho. Would love to know how you got across

Part ceiling monkey and using some *Lures to get some Typhon's to come cop some serious power, as I then ran like hell to the next exit. :)

I just finished the game tonight...so far easily my GOTY for 2017, single player. WHAT A GREAT GAME. What a great universe these talented people from Arkane created for us. I really felt like I was on this huge Space Station. Just a great game. Got to play it again, using different Nuromod decisions will be cool. Kept getting a somewhat 'System Shock' vibe from the audio logs discovered etc but I guess the similarities in the games will do this, the size of the installation and the brilliantly laid out levels and map design...this thing looks like NASA could use the plans to build s*** in the real world.

Also for those that might be playing it and suddenly getting horrendous frame drops, and it happens on any ninja machine apparently. I just slapped in a fabulous GTX1080ti Aorus extreme and in some of the big Powerplant maps and such, initially I was copping some terrible frame drops?.

I found a site that explained that a couple of things are ON by default and also other stuff. Also setting your favorite FOV as well.

Originally, I changed my Maxfps in the config file to 165 to reflect the refresh rate of my monitor...BUT that was ok for a while but in some areas (water cooing plants and big arse power plant rooms etc), fps still dropped terribly, THEN I read that if you unlimit your fps by making the value 999 things get real good, real fast.

Also it seems that motion blur is on as a default and you have to add the relative line in the config to stop it. (r_motionblur = 0) These tweaks alone mad a HUGE difference to my enjoyment. NO slowdown or fps drops in ANY huge environments. So I can highly recommend a new player set some or all of the relevant settings in place for their gaming enjoyment. The page is over here. Finally , all I can say is get into the game, the voice acting is great IMO, the world is brilliantly laid out and the 'ball-slapper' at the end is worth it, 100%. :)

last edited by Psycho at 01:02:56 12/May/17
01:01am 12/05/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4188 posts
yeah awesome Psycho, just don't go posting any spoilers alright ffs :)

I've got my box apart for some GPU water cooling luxuriousness; putting an ekwb block and backplate running from a small pump/res tucked under the ps shroud and a slightly too big 180mm rad on the underside because I miss ordered, oops :/

my mistake in planning; not ordering the fittings, seems that stock of non kit parts are difficult to find without waiting for shipping from EU

can't wait, last time I played on the weekend I was having fun replicating parts in the recycler with that subdivision? glitch in the game's programming heh

03:56am 12/05/17 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
19090 posts
IGN gave the game a 4/10 because of a very rare save corruption bug.
08:26am 12/05/17 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
23780 posts
I ordered a whole bunch of ekwb parts recently and didn't have much problem, try pccasegear, they had all the stuff I needed. Only thing I had to wait on was the 1080ti waterblocks, but that was more cos they were brand new out. They even had the monster quad 140mm rads I wanted, which I'd imagine aren't a terribly common item.
08:41am 12/05/17 Permalink
Eorl
AusGamers Editor
Brisbane, Queensland
14877 posts
Joaby why do you so this to me. I already have Zelda to waste my time and now Switch Minecraft but no, now I need Prey. Is it as "BioShock" as everyone keeps saying?
09:40am 12/05/17 Permalink
ShamefulManny
8 posts
Joaby why do you so this to me. I already have Zelda to waste my time and now Switch Minecraft but no, now I need Prey. Is it as "BioShock" as everyone keeps saying?

I would say it's much more like system shock. Bioshock removed the inventory management, crafting and skill points of system shock and slimmed it down to a fps. Trying to play Prey as a straight fps will likely get you killed because your character is quite soft and it doesn't take much to kill you. Bioshock also removed the need to search for door/computer codes etc. You'll spend a lot of your time (well I have) in Prey creeping around, trying to find every last password/code for doors/safes etc. I would say Prey feels much more like system shock 3, despite the name.
10:27am 12/05/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4189 posts
yeah Khel, pccg have it down pat when it comes to shipping. a prior order I did with them arrived by coury something like 3-4 days later.

I did compare their ekwb prices to umart and went with a local pickup for these ones. I was kind of hoping to get it all done and back together for the weekend, but none of the components actually come with inlet connectors in their boxes. I dunno why I thought they would, it makes sense if I'd thought about the inside/outside width of the tubing and then ordered to match those. Oh wells

are you seeing good drops in temp pushing it for long tests compared to the fan cooling?

I was thinking if I don't and it's more of an aesthetic thing, I've got an aquarium chiller that I was thinking could be looped in by running some longer pipe outside the case. it's got a fairly big sump though and I'd have to run a pump to get it back inside to the waterblock

11:49am 12/05/17 Permalink
Joaby
Sydney, New South Wales
566 posts
IGN gave the game a 4/10 because of a very rare save corruption bug.

Complicated topic. I have the highest score on metacritic for this game, but I actually think Stapleton was right to slap it with a 4/10. In his experience, they released a game that was f***ed by the end. What else can he do? The bugs aren't just that one either, I have friends who are having some other doozies like s*** in their inventory is disappearing as the game continues. And if I hadn't been able to work my way out of the geometry I'd have been similarly boned by the end of the game. I stand by my score, but if you're having an experience that f**** the game for you then you only have one option.

As Manny said, it's more System Shock. BioShock was 'what if System Shock was a shooter?' but this one sticks closer to the SS roots. Fun fact - it feels that way because they wanted to make a System Shock 3.
12:41pm 12/05/17 Permalink
Psycho
Brisbane, Queensland
6254 posts
Complicated topic. I have the highest score on metacritic for this game, but I actually think Stapleton was right to slap it with a 4/10. In his experience, they released a game that was f***ed by the end. What else can he do? The bugs aren't just that one either, I have friends who are having some other doozies like s*** in their inventory is disappearing as the game continues. And if I hadn't been able to work my way out of the geometry I'd have been similarly boned by the end of the game. I stand by my score, but if you're having an experience that f**** the game for you then you only have one option.

I only experienced that 1 quest bug but found a youtube vid that showed where the object was located, everything else in the game was fine...I must go read this IGN review. I'm going to play it thru again but try using different tactics and nuromodifications this time, maybe not try and kill some many entities. :)
05:52pm 12/05/17 Permalink
Psycho
Brisbane, Queensland
6255 posts
Steam just installed a 510m patch addressing the issues mentioned in the IGN piece.
09:12pm 12/05/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:12pm 12/05/17 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.