Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
No Man's Sky Day One Patch is a Big One
KostaAndreadis
Melbourne, Victoria
1177 posts
As we're all aware by now, when a game goes gold that doesn't mean that development has finished. At the very least bug fixes, tweaks, and patches are the order of the day for most releases. This week sees the release of No Man's Sky, the ambitious new sci-fi game from Hello Games. And with it comes a substantial day one update that changes a lot of what's already in the game. Which means for those that somehow got to play the game early, they'll need to restart on a new save to take advantage of it.

In a new post over the official site, Hello Games founder Sean Murray goes over the thinking behind the update. And in a nod to the notes written by id Software's John Carmack for Quake, he also goes through all the changes.

Which, if you plan on picking the game up, can be seen as a littler spoiler-y.

• The Three Paths – there are now new, unique “paths” you can follow throughout the game. You must start the game on a fresh save, with the patch, as early choices have significant impact on what you see later in the game, and the overall experience.
  • The Universe – we changed the rules of the universe generation algorithm. Planets have moved. Environments have changed biomes. Galaxies have altered shape. All to create greater variety earlier. Galaxies are now up to 10x larger.
  • Diversity – Creatures are now more diverse in terms of ecology and densities on planets.
  • Planets – we’ve added dead moons, low atmosphere and extreme hazardous planets. Extreme hazards include blizzards and dust storms.
  • Atmosphere – space, night time and day skies are now 4x more varied due to new atmospheric system, which refracts light more accurately to allow for more intense sunsets.
  • Planet rotation – play testing has made it obvious people are struggling to adjust to this during play so it’s effects have been reduced further…
  • Terrain generation – caves up to 128m tall are now possible. Geometric anomalies have been added. Underwater erosion now leads to more interesting sea beds.
  • Ship diversity – a wider variety of ships appear per star system, and are available to purchase. Cargo and installed technology now vary more, and ships have more unique attributes.
  • Inventory – ship inventories now store 5 times more resources per slot. Suit inventories now store 2.5 times more per slot. This encourages exploration and gives freedom from the beginning. We’re probably going to increase this even further in the next update, for people in the latter game phases, and will allow greater trading potential.
  • Trading – trading is deeper. Star systems and planets each have their own wants and needs, based off a galactic economy. Observing these is the key to successful trading. We still working on adjusting this based on how everyone plays, but all trading values have been rebalanced across the galaxy, giving a greater depth. A bunch of trade exploits were uncovered and have been removed
  • Feeding – creatures now have their own diet, based on planet and climate. Feeding them correctly will yield different results per species, such as mining for you, protecting the player, becoming pets, alerting you to rare loot or pooping valuable resources.
  • Survival – recharging hazard protection requires rare resources, making shielding shards useful again. Storms can be deadly. Hazard protection and suit upgrades have been added. Liquids are often more dangerous
  • Graphical effects – Lighting and texture resolution have been improved. Shadow quality has doubled. Temporal AA didn’t make it in time, but it’s so close
  • Balancing – several hundred upgrades have had stat changes (mainly exo-suit and ship, but also weapon), new upgrades have been added.
  • Combat – Auto Aim and weapon aim has been completely rewritten to feel more gentle in general, but stickier when you need it. Sentinels now alert each other, if they haven’t been dealt with quickly. Quad and Walker AI is now much more challenging, even I struggle with them without a powered up weapon.
  • Space Combat – advanced techniques have been introduced, like brake drifting and critical hits. Bounty missions and larger battles now occur. Pirate frequency has been increased, as well as difficulty depending on your cargo.
  • Exploits – infinite warp cell exploit and rare goods trading exploit among other removed. People using these cheats were ruining the game for themselves, but people are weird and can’t stop themselves ¯\_(シ)_/¯
  • Stability – foundations for buildings on super large planets. Resolved several low repro crashes, in particular when player warped further than 256 light years in one session (was only possible due to warp cell exploit above).
  • Space Stations – interiors are now more varied, bars, trade rooms and hydroponic labs have been added
  • Networking – Ability to scan star systems other players have discovered on the Galactic Map, increasing the chance of collision. Star systems discovered by other players appear during Galactic Map flight
  • Ship scanning – scanning for points of interest from your ship is now possible. Buildings generate earlier and show up in ship scans
  • Flying over terrain – pop-in and shadow artefacts have been reduced. Generation speed has been increased two fold (planets with large bodies of water will be targeted in next update)
  • Writing – The Atlas path has been rewritten by James Swallow (writer on Deus Ex) and me. I think it speaks to the over-arching theme of player freedom more clearly now. Early mission text has been rewritten to allow for multiple endings.

• This is the first major update of many planned for No Man's Sky.
    02:32pm 08/08/16 Permalink
    system
    Internet
    --
    02:32pm 08/08/16 Permalink
    Steve Farrelly
    AusGamers Editor
    Sydney, New South Wales
    7258 posts
    Literally waiting for the courier to knock on the door any minute now, so I can further anticipate this massive download before being able to play :(
    11:39am 09/08/16 Permalink
    BladeRunner
    Queensland
    2464 posts
    pooping valuable resources

1 - Find creature
    2 - feed it coffee beans
    3 - wait for it to s*** and collect said s***
    4 - ???
    5 - Profit from hipsters drinking my expensive as f*** coffee.

I ordered my copy from GOG. Can't install it yet :(
    03:33pm 09/08/16 Permalink
    Khel
    Brisbane, Queensland
    23466 posts
    Its only out on console today, not out on PC till I think the 12th or 13th of August
    04:32pm 09/08/16 Permalink
    deve
    Brisbane, Queensland
    143 posts
    Has it broken release date for console? Tomorrow it's officially launched afaik.
    05:07pm 09/08/16 Permalink
    Khel
    Brisbane, Queensland
    23467 posts
    Ah I dunno, I just saw that some places were getting first impressions and proper post-patch gameplay up so I figured it was, but that might have just been sites that got an early copy.
    05:09pm 09/08/16 Permalink
    deve
    Brisbane, Queensland
    144 posts
    If anyone is going to venture out to get it, be wary of public holiday in Brisbane.

Have confirmed that EB Games Toowong is open from 10-4 tomorrow.
    05:14pm 09/08/16 Permalink
    Viper119
    Other International
    3033 posts
    I feel like this Day 1 patch is a real slap in the face to that Reddit dude who got an illegal leak copy and gave it a s***** review.

I mean they've fixed and improved everything he complained about, as well as adding loads of other stuff, plus needs a new save game to be used!

Excited to play this, sounds like it's got some kind of story-esque campaign to play through which is nice.
    11:32pm 09/08/16 Permalink
    BladeRunner
    Queensland
    2465 posts
    Bit sad the PC version is delayed for 3 days. I assume it's because of playstation 3 day exclusivity and concerns about dreaded piracy. Poor form on the publishers/Sony.
    12:09am 10/08/16 Permalink
    Whoop
    Brisbane, Queensland
    23588 posts
    I watched Jacksepticeye playing it. Looks like the most boring piece of grindfest you can imagine. Go here, collect this, build this, upgrade that, mine this, avoid the drones that... I'd rather tear my nuts off, sit in a vat of vinegar and drink the fluid out of my own eyeballs than play NMS.
    05:50am 10/08/16 Permalink
    Khel
    Brisbane, Queensland
    23470 posts
    Yeah, if it was cheap in a sale, like $20 or so, I'd probably buy it cos all the procedural generation stuff looks neat and it'd be fun for a bit to explore, but I don't think it'd hold my interest much past a few hours once the novelty wore off.
    06:45pm 10/08/16 Permalink
    trog
    AGN Admin
    USA
    38451 posts
    Does it have multiplayer/coop? Building a game like this with some sort of semi-decentralised dedicated server architecture where people could manage their own worlds would be fkn nuts awesome.
    06:50pm 10/08/16 Permalink
    Psycho
    Brisbane, Queensland
    6093 posts
    I watched Jacksepticeye playing it. Looks like the most boring piece of grindfest you can imagine. Go here, collect this, build this, upgrade that, mine this, avoid the drones that... I'd rather tear my nuts off, sit in a vat of vinegar and drink the fluid out of my own eyeballs than play NMS.

Yep me too mate, bit of a Jacksepticeye fan as well. But I had seen JackFrags also play the beginning of NMS earlier for 45 minutes, and it simply bored the living Christ out of me. I actually dislike the art style, whereas some rave about it. I found the grind to be mind numbingly boring that I would drink your vinegar piss for entertainment.

I also observed that it is a very empty universe with the exception of the odd NPC ship flying by or a goofy alien speaking gibberish to you as you learn ONE word every hour or so! FFS how long will it take to communicate with these bastards? The whole game just did nothing for me, even the creatures looked s***.

Maybe I am spoilt by loving FPS games too much and games like BF1 really do interest me cause I can kill people and blow s*** up! :)

10:11pm 10/08/16 Permalink
    Bah
    Brisbane, Queensland
    5212 posts
    This reminds me a bit of the hype regarding Fallout 4, so much hype and when it came out it was... another Fallout game yet people were expecting it to be so much more?

This game seems pretty much what it was advertised to be, and people who arent normally into these games bought into the hype (a lot of it self created) and are surprised when the game is exactly what it was designed to be and not whatever they imagined it and built it up in their mind to be.
    10:29pm 10/08/16 Permalink
    BladeRunner
    Queensland
    2469 posts
    Felt like there was a fair bit of hype. Ill keep my GOG order and see how it goes. I need something else to play.

Robbaz has a go at NMS
    12:31am 11/08/16 Permalink
    Viper119
    Other International
    3036 posts
    That video is hilarious.

Apparently all players are in the same shared universe, so I guess it's multiplayer and co-op! How does that work architecturally?

06:48am 11/08/16 Permalink
    Khel
    Brisbane, Queensland
    23471 posts
    Do you actually see the other player though and interact with them, or just see the things they've discovered and named?
    10:13am 11/08/16 Permalink
    system
    Internet
    --
    10:13am 11/08/16 Permalink
    AusGamers Forums
    Show: per page
    This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.