Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Put your car keys in the freezer
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
7140 posts
Well maybe not the freezer but some other domestic Faraday Cage.

He explained it like this: In a normal scenario, when you walk up to a car with a keyless entry and try the door handle, the car wirelessly calls out for your key so you don't have to press any buttons to get inside. If the key calls back, the door unlocks. But the keyless system is capable of searching for a key only within a couple of feet.

Danev said that when the teenage girl turned on her device, it amplified the distance that the car can search, which then allowed my car to talk to my key, which happened to be sitting about 50 feet away, on the kitchen counter. And just like that, open sesame.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/digital-life/consumer-security/why-keeping-your-keys-in-the-freezer-can-stop-thieves-breaking-into-your-car-20150415-1mm25p.html
08:04pm 16/04/15 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:04pm 16/04/15 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
39291 posts
key less car starts are probably the least wanted feature in cars since car inception
08:38pm 16/04/15 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
7142 posts
I wonder if any crims are doing this here in 'straya?
08:41pm 16/04/15 Permalink
StopShootingMe
Brisbane, Queensland
3645 posts
How the hell is this "power amplifier" device meant to work? I suppose you would use it by attempting to open the car door while the device listens for the car's interrogator signal, then it clones and re-transmits that signal at higher power to reach the key. Does the key then have enough transmitter power to be heard by the car at several tens of metres? Or maybe the thieves' device has a high gain antenna, catches the key's response to the cloned signal and retransmits it for the car...

All the article says is that it "amplifies" the car's signal.
10:25am 17/04/15 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
17450 posts
Some kind of wireless repeater I would think
10:29am 17/04/15 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
7634 posts
just don't leave stuff you don't want stolen in your car if you have this method of entry. my car has keyless lock/unlock but you have to initiate with the key fob... the car doesn't transmit anything when a locked door handle is tried. so i am guessing this will only be for fairly new high-end cars.

this method only allows an intruder to unlock the doors, they still can't start the engine or disable the immobiliser. unless they also have another method for that :)
10:38am 17/04/15 Permalink
BOOST
Brisbane, Queensland
715 posts
How the hell is this "power amplifier" device meant to work? I suppose you would use it by attempting to open the car door while the device listens for the car's interrogator signal, then it clones and re-transmits that signal at higher power to reach the key. Does the key then have enough transmitter power to be heard by the car at several tens of metres? Or maybe the thieves' device has a high gain antenna, catches the key's response to the cloned signal and retransmits it for the car...

Car keys use RFID and can have a pretty decent range:

http://www.rfidjournal.com/faq/show?139
"Battery-powered tags typically have a read range of 300 feet (100 meters). These are the kinds of tags used in toll collection systems."

I suppose the antennas in cars are quite small and aren't pumping out much power as they only want them to work up to a few feet.

These devices must be a decent sized antenna coupled to electronics that replicates the RFID signal pumped out by the car. Then you'd probably need a big battery to go with it.

The article mentions car manufacturers are looking to implement systems to stop this. I'm surprised they didn't already have some sort of latency check to make sure this didn't happen. I don't know if you can do that with RFID.
01:51pm 17/04/15 Permalink
shody
Brisbane, Queensland
79 posts
just don't leave stuff you don't want stolen in your car if you have this method of entry. my car has keyless lock/unlock but you have to initiate with the key fob... the car doesn't transmit anything when a locked door handle is tried. so i am guessing this will only be for fairly new high-end cars.

this method only allows an intruder to unlock the doors, they still can't start the engine or disable the immobiliser. unless they also have another method for that :)

The newer cars I've been in just have a fob that you leave in your pocket. The car unlocks when you try the handle, and you just press a button to start it - all while the fob is in your pocket.
02:48pm 17/04/15 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11308 posts
key less car starts are probably the least wanted feature in cars since car inception
Yup. What do they save? Out of all the tasks of owning and operating a car, i've never once said 'gee i'd like to not have to put keys in the ignition and turn them once to start the car'.
What a load of s***
02:50pm 17/04/15 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
23350 posts
It's funny watching people set off my car alarm when they try to unlock it since the original key fob button doesn't work.
05:16pm 17/04/15 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
2138 posts

I'm just going to leave this here.

Note: This is a 'remote started' car, and the guy who stole it had a 'knock off' key reprogrammer and a blank fob.

I'm sure BMW will have made modifications to their systems to prevent this (I'd certainly f***ing hope so anyway) but this was the deal breaker for me. I do not want to own a car I don't need some sort of mechanical device to start it with.
06:35pm 17/04/15 Permalink
Cooper
Melbourne, Victoria
1 posts
Has been a rash of thefts (both car and contents) up here on the goldy. This mob sells a faraday cage pouch just for car keys that's meant to do the job: http://www.carkeycage.com
06:51pm 20/04/15 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
5149 posts
This mob? You mean you sell it?
07:21pm 20/04/15 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:21pm 20/04/15 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.