Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Recommend me - Laptop for CAD and high res graphics
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
21336 posts
A mate of my brother has asked for advice and thus I ask you lot ;)

He needs a laptop to do CAD stuffs and high res graphics work

Cheaper the better

thanks
08:41pm 14/05/14 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:41pm 14/05/14 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
22935 posts
What kind of CAD? Autocad? 3ds MAX? Blender? Do the programs make use of GPU acceleration, or are they purely CPU?
09:18pm 14/05/14 Permalink
trillion
Gladstone, Queensland
3522 posts
the quick answer is get a cheap used Quadro eg this one and chuck it in with a mini-itx case and components for all up around $500 and make the best of that

i would go into pandering to why a laptop unless he's going to be traveling and high res on a laptop screen are you for real and all the nuances these questions really deserve, but it looks like Whoop has that sorted

woot Whoop
09:34pm 14/05/14 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
21337 posts
Has to be laptop as he'll be travelling.

Not entirely sure what sort of cad unfortunately. Got the info from my brother who isn't overly tech savvy
10:15pm 14/05/14 Permalink
Ospi
Brisbane, Queensland
402 posts
It really depends on whether he will be creating large assemblies with a lot of complicated componentry, that's what grinds things (at least with Autodesk Inventor). I use Toshiba Satellite specced with an i7, 8gig ram and a SSD drive and run quite complicated assemblies without any issue, so he doesn't have to go crazy but it does depend on his requirements, I mean if he's just going to be doing 2D Autocad then it doesn't even warrant a mention. RAM is king though so the more the better.

last edited by Ospi at 22:31:55 14/May/14
10:29pm 14/05/14 Permalink
trillion
Gladstone, Queensland
3523 posts
no one expects that he's going to shoot straight into modelling some cray hyperloop cabin assemblies just for fun from some concept drawings

no matter how epic that would be

anyway good reply above, both RAMs you're at least going to want to have enough to push up into as complexity increases without the scene paging to disk, which with a ssd might not even be much of an issue nowdays
11:38pm 14/05/14 Permalink
Net
AusGamers Dev
Brisbane, Queensland
48 posts

- Budget range: what ballpark would he prefer to pay, and what is the maximum range of their budget.
- Form factor: What size screen, are they after 13" (portability), 15" (productivity), 17" (desktop replacement)
- Weight: Will they be carrying it around with them *everywhere* or will it mostly travel with him, bigger laptops are more fatiguing to carry around all the time.
- Screen Resolution/Quality: CAD stuff and high res graphics generally calls for an above average quality screen (no crappy low res TN panels).
- Graphics: While Intel integrated graphics will be fine for 2D graphics & basic 3D CAD stuff, intense 3D CAD stuff will call for a graphics card.
- Optical Drive: Is this a necessity or can he made do with an external USB DVD Drive?

What "feature" or "aspect" does he want most in his laptop? For example, "great, sturdy build quality", "big sized screen", "high res screen", "highly portable", "great battery life"

You mention CAD stuff, and high res graphics work, so immediately I'm thinking a 15" with good resolution screen would be beneficial. Anything less than 1080p will be a terrible experience if he's doing high res CAD work.

This is *probably* overkill or out of his price range, but Dell currently have $400 off on a 15" XPS model:
http://www.dell.com/au/p/xps-15-9530/pd?oc=x510492au&model_id=xps-15-9530

Dell XPS 15
Price $2,099 (includes $400 discount)
CPU i7-4712HQ
RAM 16GB
HDD 1TB w/ 32GB SSD
GFX GT 750M 2GB
Screen 15.6" LED Touch display, QHD+ (3200 x 1800)
Battery 61WHr 6-Cell
Weight 2.01kg+

Something more sensible price wise:

Gigabyte U35F-4701 (Do not confuse with the lower spec U35F-4501 which comes with a 1366x768 screen)
Price ~$1399 (http://www.msy.com.au/home/12534-gigabyte-u35f-4701h-i7-4500u-16gb-32g-ssd1tb-156fhd-dvdrw-win8-64bit.html)
CPU i7-4500U
RAM 16GB
HDD 750GB + 32GB SSD
GFX GT 750M 4GB
Screen 15.6" 1920x1080 LED
Weight 2.26kg+

I'm not entirely sure what Gigabyte's laptop build quality is like, it does look very plastic.

01:57am 15/05/14 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
37852 posts
all of those things he want dont go together very well
05:43am 15/05/14 Permalink
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
992 posts
Gigabyte p34g v2. 1500 dollars from affordable laptops.com

Best specs and portability for a decent price around
11:08am 15/05/14 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
USA
37734 posts
I love Dell XPS, but the thought of lugging around a 15" laptop fills me with sadness.
11:13am 15/05/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15115 posts
I love Dell XPS, but the thought of lugging around a 15" laptop fills me with sadness.

Agreed, they make 12" XPS these days too?

I'll never have anything huger for a laptop again I think.
11:27am 15/05/14 Permalink
Monkeez
Sydney, New South Wales
332 posts
Agreed, they make 12" XPS these days too?

I've got the Dell XPS 12" and I love it. It's the one that has the screen that can flip around to become more like a tablet. At first I thought it'd be flimsy but it feels quite sturdy when spinning the screen around.

I mostly use it for programming but I've also done some light 3d work on it and it runs fine. Also play Civ 5 every now and then which works well with the touch screen.

Battery life is great too, 6-8+ hours doing light stuff like text editing and web browsing. I usually get about 2.5 hours out of it playing Civ.
11:57am 15/05/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15117 posts
Yeh I have that one too, is pretty nice. Would consider a Surface Pro if I was going again though.
12:10pm 15/05/14 Permalink
Monkeez
Sydney, New South Wales
333 posts
Would consider a Surface Pro if I was going again though.

What did you like about the Surface Pro over the XPS?
12:12pm 15/05/14 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
1934 posts
CAD on 12" screen would be hilarious. (Nah it would be really bad)
12:16pm 15/05/14 Permalink
Net
AusGamers Dev
Brisbane, Queensland
49 posts
Gigabyte p34g v2. 1500 dollars from affordable laptops.com

Best specs and portability for a decent price around
Gigabyte P34G v2 specs

That's a very well specced laptop, MSY are selling the P34GV2-860-4701S for $1849. (http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/notebook.pdf)

I was trying to find it but couldn't remember where I had seen it before. I'd probably recommend this option now over my previous suggestions as it's the most well-rounded laptop of them all. It's a decent size but not too big, good resolution, enough HDD space, lightweight-ish (1.67kg), graphics, 8GB RAM etc. There seems to be a few sub-models so check the specs before you buy.

There are 13" XPS models available that are nice (1080p screen), but they're expensive.

Dell XPS 13

The 128GB model ($1699) has just over 100GB usable and once Windows 8.1 is installed there's only like ~60GB left. That'll fill up darn fast. The 256GB model is $2099, that's $400 over the 128GB model and the only difference is the large SSD. All up, the Gigabyte model is better value for money spec wise.
02:01pm 15/05/14 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
37864 posts
pretty obvious form this thrad that trog doesnt lift.
07:26pm 15/05/14 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4903 posts
I have a 13" Dell Latitute (over 2 years old) with AutoCad 2012 running on it. I have 8 gig of ram and a SSD and it runs like a f*****g champion. The laptop is really light making the whole thing easy to live with. When I am at the office, I use a docking station and the little lappy runs the dual 24" monitors without any issue in high res.

We just got our drafts person a 17" Dell that cost over 4K with 16gig of ram but that is way overkill in my experience.
08:01pm 15/05/14 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
10982 posts
having just built a PC for an architect, i can recommend only three things:
CPU, RAM and SSD. Those programs actually don't require a gaming card, the Intel HD graphics is actually quite satisfactory, the bottlenecks will happen elsewhere. Disk is perhaps the singlemost important thing in the requirements list.
09:42pm 15/05/14 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
37866 posts
Disk is perhaps the singlemost important thing in the requirements list.

so often this is the case.
06:25am 16/05/14 Permalink
reso
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
5454 posts
Get a sweet 15" MacBook Pro Retina and do whatever you want on it.
06:48am 16/05/14 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
37867 posts
lolz
07:09am 16/05/14 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1540 posts
Just got an XPS 13 for work a few weeks ago, pretty sweet for a portable unit, not sure I'd want to be doing CAD on it though.
11:39am 16/05/14 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
22938 posts
I've got an MSI laptop, aside from the CPU hitting 100 degrees in summer while playing games, it runs 3ds max 2014 quite well.

http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GE60_0ND.html
05:17pm 16/05/14 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
15128 posts
What did you like about the Surface Pro over the XPS?

Don't get me wrong, I love the s*** out of my XPS12.

However as a convertible it edges more to the notebook side I find. The unit is noticeably heavier than a surface and its never quite in the comfort zone compared to our iPad when I use it as a tablet, its just that 10cm too awkward. It gets kind of hot in the hand. The touch on my unit occasionally dies unless I put it to sleep and wake it up. Fortunately that's rare, but it is annoying and never happens on our iPad. Not sure if hardware or software.

It WORKS as a tablet .. but is just not ideal. Then again the flip-top lid that reverses the screen makes it an AWESOME plane media player or touch gaming device. Its well built too in the way that macs often are - feels nice, and little things like the screen movement are precise and smooth.

But this year I'm travelling less so I need a convertible less. If I was buying a portable unit this year I'd want more touch less notebook, so the Surface feels like a better (and cheaper) bet.
05:32pm 16/05/14 Permalink
trillion
Gladstone, Queensland
3533 posts
does this guy have any plan in mind to try and get any work with these skills or is it just an interest thing?

reason i ask is because it's something i tried to pursue in the early 2000's but at the time the building boom of the 90's was waning and KarelCAD was difficult to engage with to get any kind of industry certs

i'm not even on the pulse of what's going on with it more recently
07:50pm 17/05/14 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
10517 posts
He needs a laptop to do CAD stuffs and high res graphics work

get him something s*** that's in his budget - he won't know the difference, and currently neither to you

I'm not trying to be mean here, though if you're going to be a provider of advice for a system that is more a tool and than an entertainment center ( and the obligitory 2 or 3 tier ) support that comes along later ( for free ?), then you should be training this chap to slowly understand the importance of decent tools so that when the day comes that he has a decent budget he can thank you by making worth your while helping him out of a decent purchase.

start with the system specs of the software he'll be using - and keep it practical ( and in your favour ) from there. I noticed you didn't list software titles... just 'CAD work'.

last edited by koopz at 16:44:44 18/May/14
04:43pm 18/05/14 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5933 posts
Koopz has a point, if you are using this thing every hour of the working day for CAD then spend the money on something decent. I would be looking at the dell M68xx series
06:19am 19/05/14 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:19am 19/05/14 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.