Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Ok, So what monitors for an eyefinity setup?!
fryzeegunner
Melbourne, Victoria
277 posts
02:27am 29/10/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:27am 29/10/13 Permalink
RuleofBooKz
Other International
335 posts
id recommend going with a 120hz monitor
04:12am 29/10/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1665 posts
None of those.

I ran 3x24"s for roughly the last 4 years, I 'modernized' to a single 29" screen.

I only ran certain games in eyefinity mode (largely simulators, I cannot recommend the Dirt Franchise enough with a G-27 and a res of 5760x1200) Other than that I played most of my games from the centre monitor.

Pay attention to which monitor you choose, and the inputs you intend to use. Ideally you WANT DisplayPort capable monitors (it's not as much a pain in the rear as it used to be, but finding an 'active' DP/mDP-->D-Sub/DVI/HDMI adapter is still a massive pain, especially so after lumping out ~$1000 for video card and monitors.)

I helped my bro buy 3x Dell 23" Ultrasharp monitors for around the money you are talking (might've been closer to $600-630) and he rates them.

I genuinely miss the vertical real estate my 16:10 monitors used to provide me so I think my next eyefinity setup will be 3x24's from left to right and the 29 high and centered over the middle screen (for flight sims).

I'm biding my time before I upgrade my current rig, just looking for the right video card to run it all. (I'm still running a Sapphire 5870 Eyefinity 6 edition; not everything plays amazingly on it anymore, but for a 4 year old video card it still holds its own)

My 'budget' recommendationThe Dell U2312HM The RRP is $270 on that page, but if you jump into a chat with a sales person by the time you're purchasing 3 of them, I'm sure you could shave at least $50 off each of their final price.
07:19am 29/10/13 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
14511 posts
Why not hold out for the Oculus?
08:14am 29/10/13 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
475 posts
I'd go for the Asus VS series, or a Dell. I doubt you'll get 3x Dell IPS for around $500.

id recommend going with a 120hz monitor

Most people don't get anywhere near 120fps in Eyefinity.
08:58am 29/10/13 Permalink
fryzeegunner
Melbourne, Victoria
278 posts
Should mention I have this, and am happy to use it as my main screen, so i could just get 2 monitors for <$500..

http://www.samsung.com/ae/consumer/computers-peripherals/monitors/led/LS23A750DS/ZN

and thats a 120hz
10:08am 29/10/13 Permalink
beau
Brisbane, Queensland
268 posts
I'd go for the Asus VS series, or a Dell. I doubt you'll get 3x Dell IPS for around $500.Most people don't get anywhere near 120fps in Eyefinity.

120 hz = 60 fps
120 fps = 240 hz

am I wrong? or does this change with eyefinity?
10:19am 29/10/13 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
479 posts
120 hz = 60 fps
120 fps = 240 hz

am I wrong?

You certainly are.

1hz (one cycle per second) = 1fps (one frame per second)

A 120hz screen can display up to 120 frames per second.
10:24am 29/10/13 Permalink
beau
Brisbane, Queensland
269 posts
You certainly are.1hz (one cycle per second) = 1fps (one frame per second)A 120hz screen can display up to 120 frames per second.

but is this for interlaced and progressive?
10:37am 29/10/13 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
484 posts
but is this for interlaced and progressive?

Progressive. Interlaced should still be 120 for 120, only the vertical resolution is halved from memory? This is so they can provide 3D at 60hz instead of 30, where you start to notice flicker.

So something like this?

Depends what connections your card has on it. AMD typically give you lots of DP connections from memory. If that's the case you may want screens with DP connections on them as IVY_Mike said.
10:49am 29/10/13 Permalink
fryzeegunner
Melbourne, Victoria
280 posts
The card has 4 Mini DP and 1 dvi.

Finding dp monitors sure wont be easy, the dell monitor that was suggested earlier has one. But is the bezel bad?
11:02am 29/10/13 Permalink
fryzeegunner
Melbourne, Victoria
281 posts
.Pay attention to which monitor you choose, and the inputs you intend to use. Ideally you WANT DisplayPort capable monitors (it's not as much a pain in the rear as it used to be, but finding an 'active' DP/mDP-->D-Sub/DVI/HDMI adapter is still a massive pain,.

Ok so If I get those Dells, they are all Display port. Therefore for the 7990 which has 4 mini DP's, I can just go bang bang bang 3 mini dp's to monitors dp's using the mini dp to dp provided. Will that work or do i need these fancy active dp adapters?
11:31am 29/10/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5911 posts
Anyone got this monitor? http://gaming.benq.com/gaming-monitor/xl2720t

Looking at purchasing this
11:40am 29/10/13 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
4202 posts
^

It has been co-developed with Counter-Strike pro gaming legends...

But the pic shows them playing (i think) a MOBA. LoL i think.
11:42am 29/10/13 Permalink
fryzeegunner
Melbourne, Victoria
282 posts
Anyone got this monitor? http://gaming.benq.com/gaming-monitor/xl2720tLooking at purchasing this

Mate had that, said it was OP for what it is. Prefers his current one http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_1210&products_id=22711&zenid=a2bb09b8bd02dc875e24c86815a3eec5
12:30pm 29/10/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5912 posts
oh nice fair enough, however i dont want anything smaller than 27" as that what i have now
12:56pm 29/10/13 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
486 posts
The card has 4 Mini DP and 1 dvi.Finding dp monitors sure wont be easy, the dell monitor that was suggested earlier has one. But is the bezel bad?

If you want DP inputs on 120Hz panels with thin bezels, then you want a Samsung S23A750D or equivalent.

The bezels are about standard thickness, but they are very low depth, so you put the bezels behind each other and halve their effective distance.

http://i.imgur.com/5cpYFaI.jpg
12:56pm 29/10/13 Permalink
fryzeegunner
Melbourne, Victoria
285 posts
Thats my exact monitor right now.

Im happy to keep that as my primary, so that when i single screen game I can run 120hz, so those dells for the side screens are looking good. Now what adapters do I need? Or can i just get these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321093985089?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 and use them to connect mini dp straight to the monitors.
01:07pm 29/10/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
1666 posts
Depends what connections your card has on it. AMD typically give you lots of DP connections from memory. If that's the case you may want screens with DP connections on them as IVY_Mike said.

If you're using DP you don't need 'active' adapters at all, that only applies if you want to use D-Sub(VGA) or DVI connectors.

The Dell's I described earlier are the best 'bang-for-buck' monitors I can recommend for this configuration. By all means someone let me know if they know a cheaper and better solution. (n.b. you do not NEED DisplayPort enabled monitors, but if you're buying new hardware, why not use the 'current' display technologies... DVI should be retired. I AM happy to assist anyone who wishes to go ahead with a non-DP configuration, there are some pitfalls and traps to be aware of, but not worth going into if its unnecessary)

Some of my observations when using DP:
- Each monitor will 'behave' kinda like a USB device in windows. (Turn the monitor off and Windows will have a small stroke while it re-arranges the 'display real-estate')
- If you want to play across all three screens, simply turn all 3 monitors on, and enable 'eyefinity mode' using the Catalyst control centre, BAM, 5760x1080 (in the case of the 3x U2312HMs). Load your game, if it supports it (there is a certain level of DirectX compliance winthin the game*) select the rez from the options screen and go on.
- If you want to switch back to 'discrete desktops' mode (Windows will treat each panel as a separate monitor, important for things like 'maximize' or when you want to watch a movie/tv show on one screen, 'general compute' on another and RDP on the third) it's easiest done with Catalyst control centre.** From there DP can be a little bit of a pain in the ass if you want to turn on/off individual monitors.

* Some games can be 'forced' to work in eyefinity resolutions by editing .ini files, Take a gander at the Widescreen Gaming forums for an awesome source for all things 'widescreen gaming' related.

** When I last used my eyefinity setup there was an option to 'save presets' for your display configuration, this meant switching between 'eyefinity' [read: single 5760x1080 panel] mode and 'discrete monitor' [read: 3x1920x1080 panels] mode was a 'two-click' affair. But this has not always been reliable between driver updates; your mileage may vary.

I'm no 'pro, 1337, haxx0r' at this stuff, but my experience running NVidia 78/8800GT's with matrox cards, then twin ATi Radeon HD 4850's and my current ATi Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 card has taught me a s***load about 'widescreen' gaming. It's not as intimidating or big budget as it once was, and for 'immersion' it's far more effective than '3D' IMO (tho each has their own applications/strengths and weaknesses).
I've seen some awesome, effortless setups, and also some really 'gaffa-taped' arrangements too (including one machine with two 7800GT's and a pair of Matrox Milleniums running 7 CRT monitors...).

Using a 7990 and 3x23" 1080P monitors should result in some nice high frame-rate 'eyefappity' (as dubbed by my brother)
03:06pm 29/10/13 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
491 posts
HDMI also has the same 'small stroke' problem. I use a receiver through HDMI and if I boot with the receiver on, it'll output to that instead of my main panel. Gotta reboot to fix, total b****.

I've had so many problems with my SLI Surround setup. I can't even make it boot in Surround. It says it's in Surround, but only one panel comes on and the mouse go off the edge of said screen. Gotta turn Surround off and on each boot, meaning I also have to kill my Keyboard software as well. Pain in the ass. I can't wait to just be back to one screen again. Might go 4K next year, once a true single cable interconnect comes out and the screen is one 60hz screen as the cards see it.

No more multiscreen for me unless multi boxing in Windowed mode.
03:12pm 29/10/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
1668 posts
Sounds lame-sauce ph33x.

I was surprised it took nVidia so long to get into the 'multiple display space'.

My foray into Crossfire was a total waste of time too... trying to run the twin 4850's was a joke (It kept BSODing and then ATi came back with 'lol, don't crossfire 4850's' basically...)

Regardless, running the cards in crossfire mode meant you could only use the video outs from one video card (only two monitors)
12:12am 30/10/13 Permalink
fryzeegunner
Melbourne, Victoria
288 posts
Thanks Mike. You've made my life much easier. :)
08:18pm 30/10/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
1669 posts
Don't thank me yet, thank me after it's all setup and runnin.

Also if it is the Dells you're looking to purchase, haggle as best you can with the sales rep (the web chat is a good place to start) also there's a few percent discount if you're with NRMA. (Probably won't help if you can net yourself ~$100 off for the 3x monitor purchase)
12:29pm 31/10/13 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
522 posts
Yep, it's been a s***fest. I also have a 3930K which won't run PCIe 3.0 so that kinda adds to the gripes.

Changing out 3x 680's for 2x 780 Ti Classies when they come out. 16x 16x on a single 144Hz panel with g sync. Should be pretty win at that stage.
12:44pm 31/10/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
1670 posts
Diminishing return from twin vid cards tho. Twice the power consumption from (what I'd noted previously) as much as a 5% improvement in frames per second! [read: I don't think it's worth it]
02:49pm 31/10/13 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
529 posts
Them examples are games without any optimization for multicard setups.

There are many more examples of between 80 to 100% improvement by running SLI as well. Most things I play shove out the extra frames on SLI. The third card runs on a PCI 8x 2.0 bus though. The third card in my setup doesn't do that much for performance unless it's a benchmark. Hence I feel 2 cards is the sweet spot.
03:18pm 31/10/13 Permalink
RuleofBooKz
Other International
375 posts
i found this debate on Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 SLI VS Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 quite interesting.

What the above battle shows is that the 2 SLI 580s are no match even for a standard 780 let alone a Ti version but how the cards match up is still an interesting read:

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=1550&gid2=880&compare=geforce-gtx-580-sli-vs-geforce-gtx-780

Mainly because lots of gamers i know sat on a 580 for a long time just because no games really came out that required anything much better. Of course better cards came out but if u were using a mid sized screen at 1080 then you were pretty fine with a 580. But now? Now i think is the time most people are asking themselves if its time to upgrade. Especially with the 780Ti specs recently leaked

Technical Specifications of the Nvidia Flagship GTX 780 Ti have just been leaked. Guess what? Nvidia is unleashing the full power of the GK110 Core, with all the 2880 SP. The Crown appears to be going back to Nvidia.

http://n4g.com/news/1383598/nvidia-flagship-gtx-780-ti-specs-leaked-full-power-of-the-gk110-unleashed

Once the Ti is out I know i shall be looking at the price drops and at the TI and weighing up getting a new build. It seems finally time.
03:40pm 31/10/13 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
4445 posts
oddly, the 570sli'd returns a better pixel rate!
03:59pm 31/10/13 Permalink
ph33x
Thailand
530 posts
I'll be bringing 2x 780Ti's to their knees with BF4 at only 1080 res. Still yet to see any reviewers talk about the Supersampling setting found in the game.

Any older card is no match for a newer card as the biggest performance bottleneck with graphics is VRAM. You can slam in 4 GPU's but they're all limited to the same memory speed. Having 4 massive GPU cores makes you think "Well, surely I can run all Ultra now" but when the memory bus runs under 200GB/s you'll get lag and sponginess.

The reason "I" stay on top of new release cards is to raise the ceiling limit of the memory speed. If CPU core power was what I needed, I'd keep slapping in more of them until I have what I need.

Using Downsampling (in the driver with games which don't support it), you can make any 1080 game render at 4K before being displayed, making the game crispier than any other kind of AA. This requires lots of VRAM and GPU power as you're rendering at 4K.
04:12pm 31/10/13 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
8374 posts
I run 3x 27" 120Hz Samsungs and find it hard to get the 3D working across all 3 screens as the glasses have a freak out trying to sync to a screen.

I also run 2x 7970's in Crossfire

last edited by HERMITech at 16:15:41 31/Oct/13
04:14pm 31/10/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
1706 posts
Dell are having a sale atm.

Link to OzBargain post

The highlights:
Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" $329 or two for $593 (From a $439 RRP)
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" $580 or two for $1119 (From a $829 RRP)

Both of these monitors are competent and capable 60Hz units which are likely to feature D-Sub, DVi-D, HDMI and DP outputs and USB3 hubs integral.

These are 'good' prices for a single monitor and very good prices for the pair; If you're going to go down this road I recommend approaching the Dell sales staff (via chat) for a deal on 3 monitors and seeing where you can 'wheel and deal'.
(I usually chase the extended warranty (which takes it out to 5 years) across the purchase and get the discount out of that margin.)

Happy hunting.
12:26pm 19/11/13 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
3441 posts
the bevels are still too big for surround gaming but i suppose when you sync you won't really notice or care too muchly
07:31pm 19/11/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
1707 posts
The Bezels on the 23"s are about 11mm.
It sounds huge, but when you overlap the edges and are using 3 monitors it's really not that big an issue.
08:55pm 19/11/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:55pm 19/11/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.