Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Apple Imac for Gaming?
jaydub
Gold Coast, Queensland
137 posts
so after saving for a few months i've decided to get a new gaming rig

I was originally going to get a beasty gaming windows pc but my fiancé only wants an apple

Question is.. looking at the entry level 27"
its got
i5 2.9ghz
8gb ram (which i'll upgrade to 16 with the ram i got)
nvidia gtx 660m 512MB
1TB 7200 rpm hdd

is it going to be enough for most newer games?
02:55pm 23/06/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:55pm 23/06/13 Permalink
Taipan
USA
4271 posts
Only wants an apple? Dude trade her in before its to late then get a propper computer
03:00pm 23/06/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
22017 posts
As much as I love my macbook pro, Mac's are WAAAAAAAAAAAY overpriced for their specs. Also I believe (not 100% sure) the new macs coming out aren't upgradable in any way, everything is now hard wired.
03:01pm 23/06/13 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
37117 posts
You'll have to install Windows on it as well unless you're happy with the Mac games library, but subject to exactly what you mean by "newer games", probably. One of my Dota mates plays quite happily on an iMac that is a couple of years old. He's thinking about buying a Windows PC now, but not because he's unhappy with the performance - he's just sick of rebooting into Windows every time he wants to play games (mostly Dota).
03:02pm 23/06/13 Permalink
kappa
Brisbane, Queensland
2069 posts
Get her a macbook air and yourself a pc rig
03:03pm 23/06/13 Permalink
jaydub
Gold Coast, Queensland
138 posts
thanks for the input, i've had a look at steam and a few games are mac compatible..
I'd probably just wanna play Call Of duty black ops and boarderlands 2

I'll end up putting windows on it anyway I guess..

apparently the 4th gen i5 will be coming out in a month to the iMacs, do you think its worth waiting for?
03:29pm 23/06/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
22018 posts
why the hell would you want to buy an imac only to put windows on it? if your girlfriend only wants apple there must be something in osx she wants. Or is she just another damn hipster. OMG I WANTS APPLES BECOZ APPLES IS GUD

Also any videocard with an M on the end is the cut-down-to-hell mobile version. It might run games, but not very well. I've compared my old laptop and my last PC which were of the exact same specs in regards to cpu, ram and video card except the video card in the laptop was the M version and the CPU was the mobile version.

As far as CPU intensive tasks went they were equal (encoding video, etc) but the laptop did nowhere near as well as the PC in gaming. Take that info as you will, that was about 2 generations ago though so things might have changed.
03:39pm 23/06/13 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5815 posts
Having just brought a new macbook pro yesterday to upgrade my aging 2006 macbook. Know why I brought it?...yeah I don't play games
03:42pm 23/06/13 Permalink
jaydub
Gold Coast, Queensland
139 posts
any videocard with an M on the end is the cut-down-to-hell mobile version.

hmm so maybe jumping upto the geforce 675mx 1gb would be better?

is mx the same as m?
03:59pm 23/06/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8673 posts
For $2000 you can get a Macbook Air/Pro for the GF and a pretty decent gaming PC for yourself.

I have a MBP, wifey has a MBA but I also have a PC for gaming because there is just no games for Mac and the hardware is overpriced especially if you need gaming hardware.
04:05pm 23/06/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35899 posts
apples are fine for gaming if you dont like games
04:10pm 23/06/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
18287 posts
Lol i think you need to word your missus up

Does it have to be apple for a particular reason?
04:18pm 23/06/13 Permalink
jaydub
Gold Coast, Queensland
140 posts
She likes iphoto and imovie alot.. she used to be a photographer and she feels the imacs are better..

Im sure theres software out there that would do the same thing?

Shes given me the "ok whatever do what you wanna do" speech..

I might just go to umart in the morning and buy a beasty pc. And download some software for her movies n pix
04:38pm 23/06/13 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5816 posts
So she doesn't use lightroom / aperture etc, yeah get her a refurb MPA 11" and then spend the rest on a rig for yourself
04:58pm 23/06/13 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1538 posts

Best advice I can see from this thread thus far.

If there was a better library of games on Mac, I'd have switched by now I think.
I'm using a Mac Book Air for my 'mobile computing' and I just prefer the OS; if it weren't for my wish to game, I'd have retired my now 2 year old rig; but as it smashes out most games quite comfortably, I'll keep plugging away with Windows.
05:15pm 23/06/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
9489 posts
You would most likely be better spending under $2000 on a computer that would outweigh the iMac instantly.
05:19pm 23/06/13 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
10419 posts
bottom line... Macs are s***e and overpriced for gaming. Do what you want with this information.

Any graphics card with M or MX = mobile version = s***e overpriced laptop version.

Dual boot sounds like a pain in the arse especially when sharing a computer with another person.

For the same price as the entry level 27" iMac you could get a windows PC that runs every game on max + an 27" 120hz gaming monitor + an SSD. Though if you just want to run COD you could get away with any old crappy setup. See here for guide:
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs_gaming_configs_1
05:29pm 23/06/13 Permalink
mooby
Brisbane, Queensland
6372 posts
$ aside, i love the 27imac for uni and s***. going to try simcity on it, but thats about all.
05:40pm 23/06/13 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4641 posts
I think the answer to your question is yes. The iMac will play the latest games but are you comfortable paying for it and happy to reboot into windows when you want to play them.? If so, then nothing is stopping you.

The below is not on the top spec machine and seems to run just fine.
05:44pm 23/06/13 Permalink
deeper
Brisbane, Queensland
4209 posts
yeah one each sounds like the smarter option so you can get the best of both worlds to suit your needs/wants...
06:17pm 23/06/13 Permalink
BOOST
Brisbane, Queensland
589 posts
Stupidest thread of 2013 nomination
06:28pm 23/06/13 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1571 posts
Get a mac mini for her + get yourself a PC - then just set it up with a nice monitor and use the source switch to go between each. Then you can also use the mac mini as a media server in the background.
08:12pm 23/06/13 Permalink
Taipan
USA
4272 posts
I think that just about covers it.
08:23pm 23/06/13 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
3161 posts
Wow, they still sell new PC's without SSD's. Does it also have a floppy drive?
08:28pm 23/06/13 Permalink
MrWolf
Gold Coast, Queensland
254 posts
Just a heads up, I'm not sure about all the games but I know Borderlands won't connect to PC games for multi AND the cloud storage is different PC to Mac. So unless your friends are playing on Mac you'll def's wanna dual boot.
09:58am 24/06/13 Permalink
Herron
Brisbane, Queensland
218 posts
Hackintosh?

10:04am 24/06/13 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5687 posts
I would agree go and buy her mac air and yourself PC that way she wont whinge for you to get off ya game because she wants to use the PC :)

or get mac mini if she wants a big screen and just buy screen that supports DVI and HDMI
10:07am 24/06/13 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1410 posts

Dude it's a trap! It doesn't mean "whatever you wanna do" it means "get me what I want if you ever want to see my vagina again"
10:08am 24/06/13 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
14061 posts

Do not marry this woman.
10:28am 24/06/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
18294 posts
do it anyway

she'll get over it
10:28am 24/06/13 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
11333 posts
lol at all the retarded suggestions in this thread

Get a mac mini for her + get yourself a PC - then just set it up with a nice monitor and use the source switch to go between each. Then you can also use the mac mini as a media server in the background.

and

Hackintosh?

You guys clearly don't understand what the problem is.

She wants apple.

Not a PC running OSX, not a BENQ screen hooked up to a mac mini.

She wants apple.

A closer solution than Hackintosh and Mac Mini would be to buy her a new hair straightener.
11:05am 24/06/13 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
18295 posts
so clearly the only option is to go is spend a lot of money on a s*** computer, so when she feels like being a photographer again she can use iPhoto......

retarded suggestions alright
11:14am 24/06/13 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
20065 posts
She wants Apple, that's reason enough for Splitsville.
11:54am 24/06/13 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
3162 posts
Yeah I'd hate to give relationship advice based on platform choices but she is clearly an axe wielding psychopath and I heard she eats children.

You should definitely split up and probably call the police.
01:45pm 24/06/13 Permalink
Mr.Bumpy
Melbourne, Victoria
565 posts
Just a heads up, I'm not sure about all the games but I know Borderlands won't connect to PC games for multi AND the cloud storage is different PC to Mac. So unless your friends are playing on Mac you'll def's wanna dual boot.

Actually, Boderlands 2 for Mac can connect to PC games perfectly fine AS LONG as you buy the Steam version. Avoid the Mac App Store version at all costs! I play with my PC mates all the time with my 2011 27" iMac (just so you know, I do own a PC gaming machine too, but I let my younger brother play Borderlands 2 with me on that). It runs Borderlands 2 at about 20-40 fps with medium settings at 1440 x 900 (native res is 2560 x 1440). The only downsides are that the Mac version is out of sync when new patches and updates arrive for PC. The average wait is 1 or 2 weeks (last one took 1 month though...) and SteamCloud does not store your save games between Mac and PC (you'll have to transfer your saves manually via USB or Dropbox, but this won't work when the PC version is updated).

Assuming your budget is $2000 (price if 27" iMac) you could buy your lady a MacBook Air, MacBook Pro or 21" iMac and have $550+ with which you either build your gaming PC or play Borderlands 2 (and more on Steam) on the Mac in OSX whilst you save up more for your PC.
03:59pm 24/06/13 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1573 posts
You guys clearly don't understand what the problem is.

She wants apple.

Not a PC running OSX, not a BENQ screen hooked up to a mac mini.

She wants apple.

A closer solution than Hackintosh and Mac Mini would be to buy her a new hair straightener.

Your delusion here is that people are fickle enough to be pissed when the little logo is missing. A mac mini is a fine machine, and will do iPhoto/iMovie/FCP perfectly. Couple that with a nice IPS display (which could in fact be an Apple Cinema Display as long as the additional PC has mini-displayport output (if you get an older display)) and its the equivalent of an iMac but with more flexibility (minus some computing power).

The stupidity of the PC fanboy vision is that a mac consists of a logo.
05:00pm 24/06/13 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5817 posts
Your delusion here is that people are fickle enough to be pissed when the little logo is missing. A mac mini is a fine machine, and will do iPhoto/iMovie/FCP perfectly. Couple that with a nice IPS display (which could in fact be an Apple Cinema Display as long as the additional PC has mini-displayport output (if you get an older display)) and its the equivalent of an iMac but with more flexibility (minus some computing power).
This presently my current configuration is 2 x Cinema Displays, 1 x USB2.0 to DVI the other running mini display port to DVI.

I really did consider getting a mac mini, true be told 2 x 24" cina's and a mac mini would be ideal for the average tog.
05:23pm 24/06/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35909 posts
lolz, apple
05:37pm 24/06/13 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
22024 posts
Dude it's a trap! It doesn't mean "whatever you wanna do" it means "get me what I want if you ever want to see my vagina again"
Do not marry this woman.

+1

It really amazes me how many people put up with that s*** from etiher sex. If that's your relationship now, imagine it in 10 years (if you manage to hang on that long).

Your delusion here is that people are fickle enough to be pissed when the little logo is missing.
Why else would apple users want an apple if not to just show off the big logo on the back to everyone? If all they're doing is email and facebook, android will do that just fine (talking tablets).

People actually do notice logos more than you'd think. I have a macbook pro and my brother kept giving me s*** for owning an apple but when it came time to upgrade I decided to get another windows laptop because I missed having a mobile windows platform (and I still have and use the MBP) but I also had some apple stickers left over from an ipod. Well just to be a d*******, I put one of those apple stickers on my windows laptop and what would you know, he didn't even notice that it wasn't my MBP even though the two are completely different colours.

A well known logo is a powerful thing my friends.
05:40pm 24/06/13 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
37118 posts
in 1999 it made sense to make fun of mac users

Now it's lame, tired and out of touch with reality, like someone that suggests buying a Windows Phone.
08:29pm 24/06/13 Permalink
unclebobsticle
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
174 posts
If you bootcamp the new iMac's and run windows 7 every game on steam will work fine. Done it, works great.
Borderlands 2 works great on the OSX and so do all Blizzard games. The upside to buying Apple is a 2 day turnaround time if anything breaks down internally. If you have a PC depending where you buy it from warranties can suck teh ballz.
Also after doing repairs on Macs and PC's for years, I'd much rather repair Apple products.

I dont play games now as much as I use to but every game I play works on the iMac and the MBP.

I was a windows fanboi until I got a Mac, now I cant live without both.
11:53pm 24/06/13 Permalink
kos
Germany
2758 posts
I used to try play Starcraft 2 on a MBP, ran like a dream on OS X but the s***** OS X mouse acceleration was an absolute nightmare. F– would not recommend.
11:57pm 24/06/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35910 posts
in 1999 it made sense to make fun of mac users

nah, until apple start making value products and while they still have comsumers obsessed with their brand that blindly believe every marketing spiel they make, its still ok to make fun of apple users
04:59am 25/06/13 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1411 posts
in 1999 it made sense to make fun of mac usersNow it's lame, tired and out of touch with reality, like someone that suggests buying a Windows Phone.

Sounds to me like someone has an i device at home that he secretly loves but openly bashes and is trying to claw his way out of the closet........either way we will not accept you and your apple loving ways
01:54pm 26/06/13 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5818 posts
Nah everyone is sn*****ing at ms surface rt users
07:19pm 26/06/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
35925 posts
at least its sensibly priced.
07:29pm 26/06/13 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
21418 posts
Tell her the PC will do everything she needs and the money you save you'll treat her to a nice weekend away somewhere. Everyone wins in the end.
07:38pm 26/06/13 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
852 posts
so after saving for a few months i've decided to get a new gaming rig

I was originally going to get a beasty gaming windows pc but my fiancé only wants an apple

Question is.. looking at the entry level 27"
its got
i5 2.9ghz
8gb ram (which i'll upgrade to 16 with the ram i got)
nvidia gtx 660m 512MB
1TB 7200 rpm hdd

Long story short, no.

Buy 2 gaming PC's for the same price and they'll run 50x better. If she wants a mac, tell her to get a job and buy one herself imo.
07:58pm 26/06/13 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
838 posts

2nd or 3rd this.
08:03pm 26/06/13 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
1267 posts
Get a good desktop with a couple of HDDs. Use one for a hackintosh and the other for Windows. http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/06/the-complete-guide-to-building-a-hackintosh-os-x-10-8-4/
09:01pm 26/06/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:01pm 26/06/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.