Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Recommend me: a media player
Nukleuz
Perth, Western Australia
236 posts
I've absolutely had it with my WDTV SMP. It has been an absolute piece of s*** from day 1. The latest firmware update has taken away my ability to browse network shares and removed ABC iView.

After 5 hours of tinkering to try and get a basic form of networking going on the unit I decided to take it out the back and put it out of its misery. Three slams against the brick barbecue and that was that. For good measure I gave it a hit with a crate and that really did a good job. I can now see inside and all the leaking capacitors and general destruction make me feel really good. Photos provided on request.

I'm not adverse to building a HTPC but would much prefer an all-in-one (simplicity of use for the Mrs). The only requirements are (working) network connectivity (preferably 802.11n), ABC iView and SBS on Demand.

Only one rule: no Western Digital crap.

Cheers
04:05pm 20/12/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:05pm 20/12/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3535 posts
sony blu ray player, under $100, and it will stream no problems, and the media player is good, and the menus easy to use (also, all your net channels are there, iview etc)

oh, it will also play blu rays
04:13pm 20/12/12 Permalink
mongie
Brisbane, Queensland
7643 posts
WDTV Live
04:16pm 20/12/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8298 posts
Huh, I haven't had any issues with my WDTV Live. Streams fine from my computer to TV though I use Serviio for good measure. You could just go ahead and build a HTPC running XBMC, it's what my brother built for my mother and works flawlessly.
04:22pm 20/12/12 Permalink
Grimy
Brisbane, Queensland
441 posts
Another WDTV Live user here....I wanted something simple for the wifey to use. Only gripe is the lack of quick browsing of the large movie folder with letters i.e. T doesn't auto jump to say Terminator. Next page.....Next page.....Next page.
05:23pm 20/12/12 Permalink
Herron
Brisbane, Queensland
165 posts
Jailbroken ATV2 ;) Not sure about SBS On Demand though.
06:02pm 20/12/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13205 posts
WDTV Live. I've got one and plays everything I throw at it.

Grimy, set up your movies folder to have: A-M, N-Z or something. That helps heaps.
09:31pm 20/12/12 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1452 posts
09:53pm 20/12/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
5088 posts
I have a WDTV Hub Live and very iffy on it. Sure it plays damn near everything you throw at it but f*** me the UI is ugly as hell. I can't even find a nice skin for it that doesn't require you to spend hours upon hours screwing around with a thumbgen going through your movie and tv files. I wanted to just use Plex but all it seems to load is the thumbnail and nothing else.
10:21pm 20/12/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13206 posts
Yes WDTV Live UI is pretty average, and requires ages of d***ing around to enable thumbs which don't really work all that well anyway.

For a bare bones Media player that plays damn near everything it wins though.
10:34pm 20/12/12 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9799 posts
sony blu ray player, under $100, and it will stream no problems, and the media player is good, and the menus easy to use (also, all your net channels are there, iview etc)

oh, it will also play blu rays

yeah I went the Sony Wifi enabled blueray player ~2 weeks back from JB Hifi.. though I'm a little ticked off that I have to select 'Video' before choosing a machine on the network to play videos from, instead of just browsing the network. (( *edit - to be clear here.. unless I choose this path, the player allows me to search through folders yet finds no playable files :/ )

I do like that it's DLNA enabled, though it drops out. My kids don't like that much.

Still no firmware update available to fix the bugs which is surprising given it's 'a Sony'.

Oh... and for some reason the volume function doesn't work (*edit - on the Sony remote). I'm guessing it's only there if I was silly enough to buy a Sony TV as well.

Still, all content plays perfectly off USB external HDDs and USB sticks.. though I expected more from a machine with the Sony label on it.

I wouldn't recommend this over a semi decent HTPC for anyone who's OCD about the quality of their equipment, but most consumers would tolerate it. Personally I'm thinking it's a cheapie mass produced POS that Sony picked up from another market and paid a pittance for and told their tech support people to tell callers to 'RTM' knowing they'll get away with it.

still - great blueray player.. I just wish I could change the volume with the Sony remote instead of the TV one.

last edited by koopz at 22:40:09 20/Dec/12

last edited by koopz at 22:46:32 20/Dec/12
10:37pm 20/12/12 Permalink
Nukleuz
Perth, Western Australia
237 posts
I've got a Gen1 WDTV Live and sure it's ugly as but it works.

I think the XBMC setup is really the only way to go now. Now to find a nice all-in-one media PC to do the job.
10:39pm 20/12/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21040 posts
my tv plays stuff straight off my DLNA server. I'm not sure about iview but I think it has sbs on demand as an app or plugin or whatever you'd call it.
11:05pm 20/12/12 Permalink
Jim
UK
13143 posts
if you like xbmc, take a look at plex too
05:30am 21/12/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10610 posts
I've only used WMC and XBMC and they both suck, and frustratingly what one does right the other does wrong and vice versa.
08:32am 21/12/12 Permalink
Red
Sydney, New South Wales
1028 posts
I'm gonna go down the raspberry pi + xbmc (with Openelec) soon. I'm sick of not being able to resume/pause/skip/seek with the wdtv live or xbox360 with TVersity.
09:00am 21/12/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8302 posts
I'm gonna go down the raspberry pi + xbmc (with Openelec) soon. I'm sick of not being able to resume/pause/skip/seek with the wdtv live or xbox360 with TVersity.
But, you can do all that with WDTV Live? At least my one can, am I magical or something?
09:25am 21/12/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
13208 posts
Well the live does resume/pause and seek well enough (1 specific video format doesn't do that though). However skipping leaves a lot to be desired.
10:48am 21/12/12 Permalink
Red
Sydney, New South Wales
1030 posts
But, you can do all that with WDTV Live? At least my one can, am I magical or something?

If I try it with anything remotely high res, doesn't work.
12:43pm 21/12/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4124 posts
Had to use a WDTV Live for 3 months or so earlier this year, it does play all/most files you throw at it but thats about it.

Coming from XBMC, by comparison WDTV live is certainly simple (in that there's not much you can do with it) but I wouldnt call it easy-to-use - common things like connecting a server is really slow, as mentioned its not exactly great at seeking, and its got nothing to help you in the way of viewing management (what have I watched? whats new?).

And that's just the basic functionality - factor in the features like the media library, sickbeard/couchpotato integration, iphone/android apps for remote control, etc. and XBMC is just far more pleasant to use IMO.
01:46pm 21/12/12 Permalink
Hemerage
Brisbane, Queensland
15581 posts
Is XMBC easy to set up?

I keep putting off rebuilding my parents old machine, so I currently play my movies/tv shows through my crappy Netbook, onto the tele.

WDTV would suit if I didn't want to build this PC.
But if I did, go with something like XMBC?
04:26pm 21/12/12 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34791 posts
samsung television
06:18pm 21/12/12 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
4126 posts
Is XMBC easy to set up?
Well, it depends on what operating system you host it on (if any), and the hardware you use.

I'm current running openelec ( http://openelec.tv ) on my Asrock, which is a completely pre-packaged thing. You get a USB stick, use a program to write the OpenElec software onto the USB stick, plug the USB stick into the Asrock and then boot off the USB stick. Its pretty darn simple, but thats only because I specifically bought this Asrock because I know openelec supported it.

From that point, its just a (comparitvely expensive) dedicated media player; all configuration is done from within XBMC itself.

I think OpenElec will also work on general PCs , as long as the CPU is fast enough to do the decoding.

If you run it on Windows, then its no harder than installing any other Windows software. If you want to do HD, make sure the hardware has a supported h264 decoder (eg, my Asrock) or a fast enough CPU.

http://www.eyo.com.au/253495_asrock-ion3d-152d-mini-barebone-atom-d525-nvidia-gt218-ion-dvd-rw-gbl-vga-hdmi-black.html is the Asrock I'm talking about. Add in the cost of a memory stick and a USB thumbdrive and its just short of $400
06:28pm 21/12/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21049 posts
samsung television

+1
07:47pm 21/12/12 Permalink
Nukleuz
Perth, Western Australia
238 posts
Thanks for the suggestions. That asrock box looks like a great solution for the main theatre. I'll be taking a look at building a mini itx htpc first but if the asrock unit is cheaper (most likely) then I'll go in that direction.

I'm looking at a the Astone A108 (Android Smart TV) which looks to be very flexible. It doesn't have apps for ABC iView or SBS on Demand (yet) but the PS3 can take over those duties for now.
01:35pm 22/12/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:35pm 22/12/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.