Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Help - Seagate GoFlex external HDD beeping
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
10444 posts
I bought this from Umart today, a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 500G 2.5 HDD USB3 Black. The drive works fine when my PC is on but when it's off the drive beeps. After scouring the web I could only find info about people's drives not working at all and beeping, not beeping when their machine is off.

The Seagate web site says it will beep if there is insufficient power. There is enough power running through my PC's PSU to power the LEDs on the motherboard, but clearly not enough for the drive as well. Obviously I can't use the drive when the PC is off so that doesn't matter, I just want to stop the beeping. The beeping stops if I cut power to the PC by turning off the switch on the PSU. But I don't want to have to turn that on and off every time I use my PC.

Thoughts? Surely someone here has one of these drives.
03:25pm 03/10/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:25pm 03/10/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10291 posts
is it plugged into a USB3 hole? USB3 is capable of delivering more power than USB2.

try a powered USB hub

last edited by thermite at 15:35:03 03/Oct/12
03:33pm 03/10/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
10445 posts
It's a 10 year old motherboard.

Never mind, I fixed it. I was using a USB extension cable but when I plugged it directly in to the motherboard it stopped beeping. It's just a shame the supplied cable is too damn short.

Otherwise it's a great little drive and I can recommend it.
03:37pm 03/10/12 Permalink
kg
Brisbane, Queensland
76 posts
The beep indicates that the drive isn't recieving enough power to spin up. Probably best to unplug it from your PC when it's turned off.
04:19pm 03/10/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20729 posts
It's just a shame the supplied cable is too damn short.
I know, what's with this? Every device I buy comes with a shorter and shorter cable. The power cable for my TV barely even reaches the floor from a normal height stand, my external drive has about a 1 foot cable and my GPS has about 6 inches worth of cord, if that.

Useless cheapass manufacturers.
05:07pm 03/10/12 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
13746 posts
I know, what's with this? Every device I buy comes with a shorter and shorter cable.

Dunno about your TV but with external USB drives specifically they are really pushing the limit of the 5V 1A that USB delivered. Just the power loss from a longer cable is enough to stop them working properly. That's clearly what was happening in this case.
07:25pm 03/10/12 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
10292 posts
why doesn't it work like on a tv spaceship?
less power - slower data transfer
more power - faster data transfer
too much power - data jumps into your head via lightning
07:38pm 03/10/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20731 posts
my GPS is hardly pushing the limits of usb power and it's shorter than my HDD cable.

It's nothing more than manufacturers being cheap. My USB drive works perfectly well off an extension cable.
Just the power loss from a longer cable is enough to stop them working properly. That's clearly what was happening in this case.
Actually his drive works fine, it only beeps when he turns his PC off, if you'd have read the OP. His PSU probably can't supply the 1A +5sb voltage, but delivers enough power while the PC is actually turned on.

e:
why doesn't it work like on a tv spaceship?
less power - slower data transfer
more power - faster data transfer
too much power - data jumps into your head via lightning
haha this is one thing that always gets me. On TV when they want to show a computer is low on power they'll make it talk really slowly, as if it's an old tape player or record player or something. I mean what the f***, a computer will either work or it won't.
07:40pm 03/10/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
10449 posts
His PSU probably can't supply the 1A +5sb voltage, but delivers enough power while the PC is actually turned on.

Like I said it is fine when the drive is plugged directly in to the usb port on the motherboard. So the problem is the cable. I bought a 5m Aten cable to use with it as well but it doesn't work at all, even when the PC is on. The drive's light turns on but Windows can't detect it.
07:51pm 03/10/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20732 posts
5m usb cable? WTF?
08:20pm 03/10/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3522 posts
I have a ten metre USB extension cable, for a gamepad not HDD. Does the trick
08:31pm 03/10/12 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
10450 posts
I think it was the shortest one I could find that supported USB 2.0.
08:41pm 03/10/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1273 posts
... The drive works fine when my PC is on but when it's off the drive beeps. ...

Unplug the drive?
09:52pm 03/10/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:52pm 03/10/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.