Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Primary school computers/games
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
2395 posts
When I was in year 4/5 at school we had those all in one fluro coloured macs and a few pent 4s running xp.
We used to have an old style printer as-well, with the feeding lines either side.

I remember old games such as lemmings bugdom. but there are two games I am trying to find.

one was you were a dinosaur (velociraptor?) with rockets launchers on your back and you had to go around collecting eggs?? or something. pretty sure it had a time limit mode or something.

The second was a game like crazy machines/paint you could place objects which moved etc and the eraser was a stick of dynamite that had an exploding effect. very very fun.

what games did you guys play at school and what hardware did you use.
08:57pm 29/07/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:57pm 29/07/12 Permalink
FraktuRe
Gold Coast, Queensland
4315 posts
TIM and Chips Challenge were the most popular ones at our school, back in the day.
09:00pm 29/07/12 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
8710 posts
Skyroads ftw.

http://www.abandonia.com/files/games/253/Skyroads X-mas Edition_6.png

Also Scorched Earth and Street Rod.
09:00pm 29/07/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
2396 posts
TIM and Chips Challenge were the most popular ones at our school, back in the day.

ah yes chips challenge and ski Free, of course pinball aswell.
09:01pm 29/07/12 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
2593 posts
Maths munchers was boss:

http://www.oldapplestuff.com/Images/OS9_CDs/MathMunchers.jpghttp://www.donttellmetheending.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/numbermunch.gif
As shown in 2nd pic you'd have a statement up the top (multiples of 2, prime numbers, equal to 10) and then you'd move the little green dude around with arrow keys and ate a square with space bar. Eat all the correct answers and avoid eating the wrong answer or being hit by the enemy dudes. As you progressed to harder levels, the enemies moved quicker and problems got harder. Awesome times.
09:02pm 29/07/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
2397 posts
Skyroads ftw.

http://www.abandonia.com/files/games/253/Skyroads X-mas Edition_6.png

Also Scorched Earth and Street Rod.

OMFG SKYROADS AHHAHAHA AWESOME
09:04pm 29/07/12 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4361 posts
When I was in high school, we had an Apple II with 32K of ram. I shared one side of a 5 1/4" floppy disk for storage with another kid. That was 1981, so year, no games.

The coolest kid around at the time had a Sinclair ZX80 which had 1K of ram TOTAL! But it could run Space Invaders (or a port of it, no sound, no score) Imagine if any of todays programers had a challenge like that. No f*****g way could any of them make a game which ran in only 1K of ram.
09:06pm 29/07/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15630 posts
where in the world is carmen sandiego? and some sort of gold mining game i cant remember the name.

edit: it may have been called goldfields.

last edited by ravn0s at 21:14:35 29/Jul/12
09:06pm 29/07/12 Permalink
mental
Brisbane, Queensland
3388 posts
year 4/5 at school
pent 4s running xp

Way to make a few of us feel old, very old.
09:09pm 29/07/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
2398 posts
ye we had Carmen Sandiago
also some peter pan game. point to click.

the game i was thinking of was nanosaur

also
skyroads in flash
http://hummezum.hu/swfroads/ (play in browser)
09:12pm 29/07/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5894 posts
Way to make a few of us feel old, very old.

I laughed realising that my school's apple classics makes me a fair bit older than timmeh, although i came from canberra before moving to brisbane in highschool which might also explain the apple classics still being used... the 90's were rad.
09:44pm 29/07/12 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
12907 posts
No f*****g way could any of them make a game which ran in only 1K of ram.

O yer?
09:47pm 29/07/12 Permalink
Timmeh
Brisbane, Queensland
2399 posts
I laughed realising that my school's apple classics makes me a fair bit older than timmeh, although i came from canberra before moving to brisbane in highschool which might also explain the apple classics still being used... the 90's were rad.

haha i finished year 12 in '09....
09:48pm 29/07/12 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
15419 posts
Robot Odyssey on an Apple II
09:49pm 29/07/12 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2136 posts
I had a feeling the apple II e version of that game was called number cruncher. I also played a game called transyvannia. Another game that I can't remember the name was a game on the 2 e where you had to build a boat before a flood came.
09:49pm 29/07/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20325 posts
I had a feeling the apple II e version of that game was called number cruncher. I also played a game called transyvannia. Another game that I can't remember the name was a game on the 2 e where you had to build a boat before a flood came.

No computers at my primary school, and the computer at home was a Commodore 64. Highschool had some 486's or something and an oldass mac that looked like you could use it to stop a tank, and the CD-ROM's needed a special cartridge thing.

No games were played at school.
10:02pm 29/07/12 Permalink
Cheez
Brisbane, Queensland
685 posts
10:07pm 29/07/12 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
4362 posts
O yer?

That's not a graphical game though, its using asci characters. Not a bad effort mind you.
10:34pm 29/07/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19651 posts
We didn't have computers in the classrooms, there was one computer in the library and you could book time on it during your lunch hour if you wanted to play a game or something. I think it was an Apple IIe.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ls5GXsX_gRE/TOEGa0c4BLI/AAAAAAAAALo/_4N-wckDkmk/s1600/masquerade1.gif

Masquerade

http://gamesdbase.com/Media/SYSTEM/Apple_II/Title/big/Where_in_the_World_is_Carmen_Sandiego_-_1985_-_Brøderbund_Software.jpg

Carmen Sandiego
11:48pm 29/07/12 Permalink
Rdizz
Germany
2086 posts
Logical Journey of the Zoombini

01:31am 30/07/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5982 posts
Treasure Mathstorm was another 'great' game I remember spending primary school hours on.
02:00am 30/07/12 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
5025 posts
We played Treasure Mountain

11:08am 30/07/12 Permalink
WirlWind
Central Coast, New South Wales
286 posts
ye we had Carmen Sandiagoalso some peter pan game. point to click.the game i was thinking of was nanosaur alsoskyroads in flashhttp://hummezum.hu/swfroads/ (play in browser)

Oh dude, blast from my past lol.

I was old so missed that bandwagon, but I fondly recall watching my younger brother play it to obsession.

For some reason in my primary school comp lab, there was a horse racing game that EVERYONE always wanted to play, since it was only on like 2-3 machines. It was a dumb as hell game but it was exclusive!

There was another game called Vette! (Or possible corvette!, I think they dropped the Cor part for PC's) and I seem to recall it was one of the most amazing 3d driving games I'd ever seen at the time because you could knock over the silhouette's that represented pedestrians lol.
11:14am 30/07/12 Permalink
Dodgymon
Brisbane, Queensland
2137 posts
I found a video of Transylvania but still have no idea what the name of the other game with the boat was called.

01:10pm 30/07/12 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
860 posts
We had a room of some hella exy Apple IIE's and IIGS's later with the usual edu stuff - Carmen etc. '82 - '88 ish :)
02:08pm 30/07/12 Permalink
Creepy
USA
1969 posts
Same here - Apple IIe's running Carmen Sandiego, Spellicopter and Math Blaster.

I remember fondly, the time I brought in my own game disks (we had an Apple IIc at home): Bruce Lee, Zorro, and Mad Magazine's Spy vs. Spy.

We'd wait for the teacher to go back into the regular classroom, and I'd swap the education game disk with the game disk. :D
02:54pm 30/07/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7223 posts
FEEEEEEED MEEEE A PIZZZAAAAA!
03:46pm 30/07/12 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6548 posts
Imagine if any of todays programers had a challenge like that. No f*****g way could any of them make a game which ran in only 1K of ram.
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0024601
04:12pm 30/07/12 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
4848 posts
First game I remember playing on a school PC was the old black and white mac game Cannon Fodder. Man that s*** was like a really early version of worms only not being able to move and having 1 weapon.
04:15pm 30/07/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3074 posts
grade 4 I had a microbee, and an Apple II E
05:11pm 30/07/12 Permalink
Lithium
Rockhampton, Queensland
304 posts
Here is a compilation of some of the games I use to play when I was in grade 2/3/4 both at school and at home. This sceen was taken 2 or so years ago when I was into feuling my nostalgia.

FYI: using a front end mod for Dosbox, called DOSshell. Works real well.

http://i.imgur.com/zSaxJ.gif
05:33pm 30/07/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3075 posts
fail, no cosmo's cosmic adventure
05:38pm 30/07/12 Permalink
jaydub
Gold Coast, Queensland
85 posts
i forget what hardware.. but im sure it was windows 95
whacky wheels - we used to network whacky wheels it was the most fun ever!
Terminal Velocity - fun jet game destroying tanks and space ships ect
Jazz Jackrabbit - awesome side scrolling game i remember it was the first game i used cheats on to get super powers
06:26pm 30/07/12 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
21153 posts
Jazz Jackrabbit - awesome side scrolling game i remember it was the first game i used cheats on to get super powers
The second was Counterstrike.
06:28pm 30/07/12 Permalink
Triamks
Brisbane, Queensland
3516 posts
Logical Journey of the Zoombini

I loved this game. I probably still have a copy somewhere.
06:37pm 30/07/12 Permalink
jaydub
Gold Coast, Queensland
87 posts
The second was Counterstrike.

haha, deathman and killingman!
they were the days.
06:59pm 01/08/12 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2406 posts
My favourite game in the later primary school years was the incredible machine. I wish i could get something like it for my sons.

Otherwise that stupid paper plane mac game was alright.
07:33pm 01/08/12 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
1186 posts
... the incredible machine. I wish i could get something like it for my sons.

What's wrong with the original and the best

Sure it's not on a swanky 'smart phone' or tablet, that's just a matter of adjusting the sales pitch IMO.
09:57pm 02/08/12 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
6296 posts
Imagine if any of todays programers had a challenge like that. No f*****g way could any of them make a game which ran in only 1K of ram.

Most any uni educated software engineer should be able to manage if they're allowed to familiarize themselves with the system/language/etc. With today's resources, you'd hopefully expect them to do better too. >_>
10:20pm 02/08/12 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
5912 posts
Ok Nerfy, if you haven't seen it before because you're talking big, but the answer is no, 1k is nothing. Because if you coded something that only is a few bytes, to look good or even exist it would have to call something, which means loading lots of your ram up with instructions.

But however, if you build hardware with the instructions already onboard you get a good chance to at least run the instructions, except when they're run the results still have to be in ram to be able to be displayed.. so textures are out.

But because there's plenty of clever people in the world, if you increase that limit to say 100kb you can build some giant things. But that's 100kbin HDD space, after all the instructions are called it's using a few hundred mb on ram. But hell it's impressive anyway.

So with that leadup I present to you the examples, some that have been around for about a decade now!
http://www.farb-rausch.de/

the most impressive one is .kkrieger a FPS in less than 100kb.

Anwyay they're pretty awesome.

edit: Most of the links i notice are dead now :( (mostly because 2004 was a long time ago) so i found the fps shooter hosted
here
10:36pm 02/08/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:36pm 02/08/12 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.