Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Telstra launch 4G
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
20089 posts
Just saw this. Telstra are launching 4G, initially on wireless USB sticks and only in CBD area's at this stage.

Will be rolled out to the mobile network by the end of the year apparently. Using the 1800mhz and 850mhz spectrum. Speed should be up to 40mbit - pretty schweet!

http://www.telstra.com.au/latest_offers/4gfun/
07:54am 27/09/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:54am 27/09/11 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
2169 posts
We got one of these a few weeks back at work... MY GOD SO FAST!
07:56am 27/09/11 Permalink
Murderer
Tasmania
1744 posts
Within a few years, mobile speed will be faster than adsl etc.
08:07am 27/09/11 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
4326 posts
What kind of speeds are you getting in practice grog?
08:09am 27/09/11 Permalink
Red
Sydney, New South Wales
851 posts
some real world tests from the gold coast:

http://speedtest.net/result/1460257974.png
http://speedtest.net/result/1460259740.png
http://speedtest.net/result/1460249625.png

That was with "Sierra wireless aircard 320u, usb modem straight into laptop. No plug in aerial"
08:26am 27/09/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
33030 posts
CANCEL THE NBN!!!!!!
08:49am 27/09/11 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
5619 posts
yeah but is it a nice constant feed or is it choppy as f***?
08:54am 27/09/11 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
9442 posts
but look at those ping times, that's just locally.
but yes, the NBN is looking like far worse value by the second - especially when the top speed is already being matched by cable
08:55am 27/09/11 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
12216 posts
Of course it's awesome now. It's a brand new network and hardly anyone else is using it. Give it an expanding customer base and it will be just as choked well below its max speed as the current 3G networks.

Faster mobile tech is a great complimentary service for keeping us connected while on the go, but it's not even close to being a credible replacement for fixed line connections.

Relevant recent article: http://www.zdnet.com.au/mobile-growth-wont-kill-fixed-line-accc-339322971.htm
"Fixed broadband remains the dominant technology for downloading data, accounting for 91 per cent of data volumes."
Imagine what your Next-G would be like if even another 5% of that traffic migrated on to it. Those crying obsoletion of fixed-lined broadband are kidding themselves and these 4G launches have zero impact on the value of the NBN.
09:01am 27/09/11 Permalink
casa
Brisbane, Queensland
4234 posts

Hopefully all the labor wankers realise how much of a waste the NBN is going to be now too.
09:03am 27/09/11 Permalink
3x0dus
Townsville, Queensland
1572 posts
We where getting about 39mb/s and 51ms ping from townsville with our Test device.

ping wise that's pretty much the same as my ADSL, just 4 times faster, Ping times imo are the impressive part.

I still believe wireless Compliments Fixed line services tho, there is always a spectrum limitation with users and wireless so its not ideal or practical to have everyone on wireless unless you want a tower at the end of every 2 blocks.

And its hard enough to get people to approve 1 mobile tower in a regional center.
09:04am 27/09/11 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
4329 posts
Yeah, to hell with relying on anything mobile over a fixed landline for serious Interneting.

(people could flood the air with internet killing waves, or something, I imagine)
09:10am 27/09/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
11728 posts
Mobile broadband still sucks, I wish they would make it 'work' at all rather than trying to make it 'faster'
I still find heaps of areas where browsing is abysmally slow or completely impossible, even on Telstra with an iPhone 4 in a major Australian city
09:15am 27/09/11 Permalink
Mosfxx
Gold Coast, Queensland
620 posts
Will this work on current models such as the Desire S?
09:21am 27/09/11 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
7347 posts
Yeah pity it's for notebooks for now. Not sure what their plan is regarding smartphone yet..
09:51am 27/09/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
3207 posts
There is two sides to this coin. You've got the awesome speeds at the moment for mobile networking, which is quite amazing, and then you've got what the realistic speeds will be when it becomes more common and used. Still quite a good move, and I welcome it with open arms. It is always handy to just flick on my mobile network on my Desire HD, and be able to check timetables, listen to videos etc.
09:56am 27/09/11 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
7291 posts
The pricing is pretty reasonable too, $39.95/mth for 8Gb
10:01am 27/09/11 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
10791 posts
There's no way you can rely on wireless, its a complementary technology.
11:11am 27/09/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
3210 posts

Exactly. For anything serious, especially gaming, a wired connection is much more efficient. But being able to have reliable and fast wireless mobile connections does help for day to day things.
11:13am 27/09/11 Permalink
Red
Sydney, New South Wales
853 posts
Oh I do like seeing the number of sensible people in this thread.

WIRED 4 LYFE!
11:14am 27/09/11 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
682 posts
rebecca black will be at the launch so its bound to be good

wireless gaming is fine for consoles you never notice lag ever
11:18am 27/09/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
923 posts

this plus.....er a metric arse load
11:19am 27/09/11 Permalink
eXemplar
2680 posts
Ssshhh, if we don't say anything those idiots can stick with wireless for fixed installation and we'll just laugh when the cells get saturated and all the bw disappears and latency goes through the roof.
11:30am 27/09/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
4484 posts
Right now it is, but here's another solution:

You're a small-medium business, your only use of internet for your business is 50% email, 30% general browsing and 20% minor non-critical web-hosting.

Right now you can go cabled versions of internet for some large value of money which provide quality of service agreements in the contract.

However the alternative to that is becoming more and more possible that you can get a single wireless device which has greater upload/download peaks with quota's more aligning your business needs which allow you at the drop of a hat to buff them with instant purchase of a second wireless device if something goes down.

For example at the gold coast a busienss was on a RIM so they had a 512/512 as their business connection for their staff, of which 5 sales staff were offsite staff that needed to have remote access to the business, another 15 were in the office and another 15 shared 2 or 3 terminals in the warehouse with limited internet connectivity.

Telstra f***ed up and accidently moved the connection to another residence as the owners of the business moved house. So instead of moving the connection from their personal house to the new house (and adsl2+ connection mind you) they moved the ISDN account. Obviously something went amiss during the call.

The end result in reinstating the business with another ISDN would have taken 1-2 weeks as somoene had to come out to set it up from scratch (their words). In the mean time, the cost of business would have rose dramatically as offsite staff couldn't work efficently, sales orders from emails couldn't be processed and a lot of other issues.

Bought one of those starter 3g kits from woolies and set it up with 5gb of data, and they had faster internet than they'd ever had and that lasted them until they got the connection reinstated (which took about 5 business days).

During the 5 days of 3g, they only perceived from a user perspective, increased productivity thanks to faster speeds. If they went 3g connection from then on, they probably never would have complained. If something went wrong with a provider, transitioning to another provider would have been literally a half hour task to drive to a store and activate the new sim, plug it in and play again. Maybe a couple of router configs but nothing difficult.

I think it's only a matter of time before wireless networks will increase quality of service as infrastructure increases, then it's a question of when will the margin between a wireless quality of service rival a wired connection for generally most applications?

Edit:
Ssshhh, if we don't say anything those idiots can stick with wireless for fixed installation and we'll just laugh when the cells get saturated and all the bw disappears and latency goes through the roof.
That's what people used to say about cable.
11:40am 27/09/11 Permalink
mongie
Brisbane, Queensland
7494 posts

That's what people used to say about cable.

Urr... Cable does slow down during high neighbourhood load...

I am on Telstra cable, and I can get anywhere between 30Mbit and 15Mbit downloads from Usenet depending on the time of day.

Its still fast, but thats a 50% reduction in speeds during peak periods.
02:55pm 27/09/11 Permalink
Red
Sydney, New South Wales
854 posts
03:09pm 27/09/11 Permalink
DocterMoist
186 posts
Isn't real 4g, they just market it as 4g. it's 3.5g
03:20pm 27/09/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
33032 posts
but yes, the NBN is looking like far worse value by the second - especially when the top speed is already being matched by cable

yer, who cares about upload speeds anyway!!!!!!
03:21pm 27/09/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
4489 posts
Urr... Cable does slow down during high neighbourhood load...

I am on Telstra cable, and I can get anywhere between 30Mbit and 15Mbit downloads from Usenet depending on the time of day.

Its still fast, but thats a 50% reduction in speeds during peak periods.

Oh god not 15mbit!

My point is, people are saying that things became unuseable, when that's just plain not true, if you base it on the worst possible scenario, in your case, 15mbit, if that's still enough, then that's a winner.

Just because it's reduced and congested doesn't mean a product is s***. It's like when a freeway is going slower, but doing 70 in a 110 zone is faster than taking backstreets which are a 60 zone.
03:24pm 27/09/11 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
9446 posts
doesn't make you un-angor when you're used to 110 though skyth
03:38pm 27/09/11 Permalink
Red
Sydney, New South Wales
855 posts
Isn't real 4g, they just market it as 4g. it's 3.5g

It's LTE. LTE = 4G.
03:39pm 27/09/11 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
7335 posts
Just signed up a mate to Optus 100/2 Cable with apparently almost no-one in his suburb on it, so will be interested to see what kinda speeds he gets.

Tech is coming out Thursday too, I thought 2 days was surprisingly quick for a Cable install!
03:39pm 27/09/11 Permalink
DocterMoist
187 posts
It's LTE. LTE = 4G.

Nope LTE isn't real 4G.
04:18pm 27/09/11 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
932 posts
LTE = LTE
4G = 4G

while sorta close, it is like saying a jack russel is as good a sheep dog as a blue healer, in the long run, or for heavy use, the poor little dog just isn't up to it (but it would give it a red hot go)
04:38pm 27/09/11 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6141 posts
There's gigabit cable in Australia?
04:50pm 27/09/11 Permalink
Red
Sydney, New South Wales
856 posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G

4G technologies such as mobile WiMAX and first-release Long term evolution (LTE) have been on the market since 2006[2] and 2009[3][4][5] respectively. The ITU announced in December 2010 that WiMax, LTE, and HSPA+ are 4G technologies.[6]

http://www.phonearena.com/news/ITU-says-LTE-WiMax-and-HSPA--are-now-officially-4G_id15435

http://www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/press_releases/2010/48.aspx

Following a detailed evaluation against stringent technical and operational criteria, ITU has determined that “LTE-Advanced” and “WirelessMAN-Advanced” should be accorded the official designation of IMT-Advanced. As the most advanced technologies currently defined for global wireless mobile broadband communications, IMT-Advanced is considered as “4G”, although it is recognized that this term, while undefined, may also be applied to the forerunners of these technologies, LTE and WiMax, and to other evolved 3G technologies providing a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third generation systems now deployed. The detailed specifications of the IMT-Advanced technologies will be provided in a new ITU-R Recommendation expected in early 2012.

Thus, LTE = 4G.
05:16pm 27/09/11 Permalink
DocterMoist
188 posts
The pre-4G technology 3GPP Long Term Evolution (LTE) is often branded "4G", but the first LTE release does not fully comply with the IMT-Advanced requirements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G#3GPP_Long_Term_Evolution_.28LTE.29

Thus LTE is not 4G.
05:36pm 27/09/11 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
7338 posts
TBH I am already impressed with Telstra's network

On the weekend I worked on a number of servers and computers using logmein, remote desktop, and vsphere for about 2 hours - all wirelessly tethered through my iphone 4 which was sitting in the glovebox plugged into the MDI playing music on the way to Byron (i.e. once you pass the NSW border, quite mountainous)

If 4G is the same but faster I will never need a desk, yay
05:41pm 27/09/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
33034 posts
Just signed up a mate to Optus 100/2 Cable with apparently almost no-one in his suburb on it, so will be interested to see what kinda speeds he gets.

heres how i do on optus (during the day, speeds drop at nite)
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~c.broughton3/optusisawesome.png

have actually seen 6mb/s, just wasnt that excited about

last edited by Spook at 18:48:55 27/Sep/11
06:47pm 27/09/11 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
7339 posts
Nice, and did you pay extra for that speed upgrade or whatever they call it ?
07:07pm 27/09/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
33035 posts
yer, optus cable is 20/1.5

the speed upgrade takes you to 100/1.5

would like more upload speed, as i coudl easily up my uploads and not get through my 500m per month

last edited by Spook at 19:19:17 27/Sep/11
07:12pm 27/09/11 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
7340 posts
Nah 100/2 apparently, will post results as soon as I've tested it
07:20pm 27/09/11 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6521 posts
heres how i do on optus (during the day, speeds drop at nite)

Nice, but if you had been using usenet and not filthy torrents, you would have hit your max download speed in 5 seconds, not 20 minutes ...
07:33pm 27/09/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
33036 posts
i was in no hurry, and my torrents are free
07:47pm 27/09/11 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5139 posts
F*** the dl speed off gime a decent upload speed
08:05pm 27/09/11 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
33037 posts
reckon.

thats the only thing thats let me down about optus cable so far.

id be happier with 10mbit upload
08:10pm 27/09/11 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6522 posts
and my torrents are free

As are many of ours usenets ...
08:13pm 27/09/11 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
5140 posts
id be happier with 10mbit upload
We are putting in a 10/10 connex at work with gcom piss off three/four of out dsl 2+ connections to 1 hopefully

One word

Pricey
08:20pm 27/09/11 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
7356 posts
12:32pm 29/09/11 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
7357 posts
http://ftp.jmrit.com.au/optus.png

Hit 6.7 over wireless, mental
12:47pm 29/09/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:47pm 29/09/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.