Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
recommend me a Adsl2+ wireless modem router!
DoCZero
Melbourne, Victoria
29 posts
Hi Guys,

As the experts in all things net gaming - I want to know some recommendations for ADSL2+ wireless modem/routers. Currently im using a netgear dg834 which is ok, but now getting lots of dropouts and horrible lage spikes (lol unless thats tpg). I also find the ipad sometimes connects, other times doesnt (mucho annoying!)

So basically im looking for a modem / router with good range (PC is in a different room , approx 10m away). It has to have ethernet onboard - and im interested in 5gh (but unsure if its worth looking at!)

Love to know the thoughts of the community!

Thanks in advance!
06:35pm 28/08/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:35pm 28/08/11 Permalink
59fifty
Brisbane, Queensland
871 posts
I am looking to upgrade my ancient billion adsl 2 modem router and asus wifi router (runing ddwrt) to one unit.

Some of the models people have been recommending are they drayteks and the linksys cisco models..

Just wish there was a adsl2 modem, router, WIFI and NAS all in one box...
07:19pm 28/08/11 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
8142 posts
I'm not convinced there's anything wrong with your current router.
07:23pm 28/08/11 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
589 posts
Hi Guys,

As the experts in all things net gaming

lul
07:34pm 28/08/11 Permalink
DoCZero
Melbourne, Victoria
30 posts
I'm not convinced there's anything wrong with your current router.

Yes, you may be correct. I am unsure if it all the current routers fault. A moment ago I had the wireless network go down, had to powercycle the device to get it back up.

Other times the wireless is working, but the internet drops out (could be a line fault, but im unsure on that one).

I guess its just got that annoying im blaming the router and that got it on my hitlist!

(oh and the other problem, the microwave kills this unit's wifi - i dunno if that common to all wireless networks?)
08:07pm 28/08/11 Permalink
tspec
Melbourne, Victoria
3226 posts
Currently im using a netgear dg834 which is ok, but now getting lots of dropouts and horrible lage spikes (lol unless thats tpg).

I had a Netgear dg834 on TPG as well and had a similar issue, I was finding that eventhough I wasn't losing sync, the dsl session was dropping as well as the whole router just randomly rebooting every once in a while. Turned out to be both a dodgy splitter, as well as the modem starting to die on me.

Before buying a new router, I'd do a firmware update on the netgear and look at what else you have plugged into the phone line in the house, basically try doing an isloation test, and as painful as it often is, try ringing TPG support. TPG can do a line test and run you through a few basic troubleshooting options.

If you do end up getting something else, the two routers I'd look at the moment are the Fritzboz 7930 or the Linksys WAG320N. Both have 4x Gb ports, both run dual band wireless (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz), both have a USB port for shared storage options (like a NAS) plus a bunch of other things. The Fritzbox can do much more but if you're not going to get use out of the extra features, probably better off with the linksys.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_331&products_id=17382
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_331&products_id=17681

Just wish there was a adsl2 modem, router, WIFI and NAS all in one box...

Perhaps check out the modem routers above, the NAS isn't built in but can turn a usb hdd into a NAS.
08:56pm 28/08/11 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
9319 posts
Same as every thread

BILLION 7404 or GTFO
09:01pm 28/08/11 Permalink
DoCZero
Melbourne, Victoria
31 posts
Ok, so a bit of an update.

I checked the firmware on the dg834 - and it was latest. Also did an isolation test + rang tpg - they ran some kind of test and told me the line was ok (tpg were less painful than I thought they would be).

I thought - "stuff it", i'll go grab a new modem/router from JB and I can always take it back if that doesn't fix the issue. Got a Netgear DGND3700 - easy to setup (sameish interface as the dg834). Up and running in no time.

So far, running for 2 days, the pros:

faster connection speed
no lag spikes / stuttering
my microwave no longer knocks out the wireless connection
no net dropouts!

Basically all the issues were happening every couple of hours! Im running only 2.4gz as my PC is too far away to get a great 5gz connection (I have dual band adaptor).

Anyway - wanted to update: Im a very happy camper now!
07:44am 01/09/11 Permalink
Red
Sydney, New South Wales
820 posts
Linksys WAG160N.
07:51am 01/09/11 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
9480 posts
how much was the Netgear DGND3700 at JB?

I find it interesting that it's both a WIFI router that you can plug in to you cable modem, and an ADSL2 modem.

It supports 2 USB ext HDDs to run as a NAS too which seems handy. I haven't given that a bash on this one here however.
08:49am 01/09/11 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6495 posts
i'll go grab a new modem/router from JB and I can always take it back if that doesn't fix the issue. Got a Netgear DGND3700

A router from JB? Ouch.

JB have that model listed for just under $300, when computer stores are selling it for under $190.

Well, if it works ...
08:51am 01/09/11 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
4361 posts
Fritzbox! or billion 7800N
10:24am 01/09/11 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
11448 posts

I upgraded from the billion 7400 series to the 7800N. Best upgrade ever. The new routers are so much better. Better interface, features, etc.
11:04am 01/09/11 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
17206 posts
I had a billion a few years ago and hated it, the interface was so unintuitive and a pain in the ass to use, and it was sposed to be a wireless N router but did an utterly s*** job at wireless N. Maybe they're better now, I dunno, but I wouldn't go back to billion after that experience.
11:13am 01/09/11 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
10911 posts
What specific router Khel?

I have a Billion 7404 and it has been the best thing I ever bought.
11:19am 01/09/11 Permalink
DoCZero
Melbourne, Victoria
32 posts
how much was the Netgear DGND3700 at JB?

At the JB near me - they had a special for $235 - I showed them pccasegears price, they told me they dont match online but shaved an extra $15 off.
03:50pm 01/09/11 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
6496 posts
I had a billion a few years ago and hated it

I've used three 7404 units in different parts of brisbane and while they showed promise with they've all been headaches in the end.

Very sensitive to noise on the ADSL line - the default setting of "Auto" coding gain is retarded as it bumps up your speed until even the tiniest noise will drop your connection. The wireless signal strength is terrible. Also 50% of the time two of the routers don't boot, even with replacement power supplies.

Good specs on paper, good firmware features, but poor stability and default settings. Will not buy again!
06:52pm 01/09/11 Permalink
RockitMan
Brisbane, Queensland
6185 posts
I have a Billion 7404. I turned it on about 3 years ago and have not touched it since - dunno what you guys are doing to be in the interface all the time..?
07:19pm 01/09/11 Permalink
hef
Queensland
1968 posts
+1 billion 7800N

09:21pm 01/09/11 Permalink
DecayingCorpse
Brisbane, Queensland
1834 posts
+1 billion 74xx

i moved from a linksys ashtray thing to a billion 7402.

wireless is fine, can be slow to connect to with iphone, dsl has decent speeds and is stable.

*mini hijack*
not sure about the firewall, regardless of the settings it just blocks all traffic and thats it. thoughts or is that normal?

last edited by DecayingCorpse at 23:01:05 01/Sep/11
10:52pm 01/09/11 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
4384 posts
Try turning it off whitelist mode?
01:44am 02/09/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:44am 02/09/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.