Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Boy 11, accidentally strangled by game console
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
3366 posts
Pretty Bad luck

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/1072470/boy-11-accidentally-strangled-by-game-console

An 11-year-old boy from England has accidentally hanged himself after he became tangled in an XBox cable, according to reports.
02:55pm 18/06/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:55pm 18/06/10 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
10346 posts
i thought the controllers were wireless
02:58pm 18/06/10 Permalink
Crash
Sydney, New South Wales
1293 posts
You can get cable controllers.
03:01pm 18/06/10 Permalink
Phooks
Brisbane, Queensland
1873 posts
seriously? an xbox cable from a bunkbed?

I call bull. Something else happened here :/ poor kid
03:03pm 18/06/10 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
6163 posts
Reminds me of Grade 6 when I was the 'swing monitor'. I had to hang the playground swings in the morning by standing on a chair and clipping them in.

Being lazy and almost tall enough to reach the clips I used to just jump up and clip them without a chair. I had to hang the rope and chair, which combined was quite heavy, over my shoulder while doing this.

One day I inadvertently had the rope wrapped around my neck. Jumped up, clipped the chair in, and bam - hang time! It eventually unraveled but not before I had massive rope burn from the rope holding my full body weight. The teacher was not happy.
03:14pm 18/06/10 Permalink
taggs
Brisbane, Queensland
4226 posts
when i was 4 or 5 i somehow managed to get my head wedged in between two planks of wood or plastic or some s*** on a playground in robina on the gold coast (used to live there). i was stuck there for several hours until the firefighters came and cut me out. as a direct result of that incident the safety standards for public playgrounds were amended and an audit conducted throughout the gold coast (or maybe state, long time ago can't remember).

true story :D

also, poor kid.
03:18pm 18/06/10 Permalink
step
Brisbane, Queensland
1935 posts
Still can't picture it.
03:21pm 18/06/10 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
12289 posts
look at your now taggs, dominating the qgls
03:23pm 18/06/10 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
5230 posts
Xbox controllers have that quick-release plug near the end of the cord. They thing comes unplugged at the drop of a hat. Seems a bit suss.
03:23pm 18/06/10 Permalink
Persay
Brisbane, Queensland
6560 posts
i reckon a videogame about being critically depressed would be awesome, can have cutting levels, livejournal posts and diff attempts to kill urself with drugs, knives, hanging, access to high buildings etc

Not sure about replayability tho
03:26pm 18/06/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
5560 posts
Years ago, my nephew was climbing a tree and fell and got his neck caught on a branch which like rubbed/burnt the skin off his neck. My brother, his dad, took him to the hospital, and I don't exactly know what happened because nobody will talk about it, but either cops or child services got involved, and I think my nephew was seperated from his parents for a while. He got real f*****g depressed over that, and probably contributed to how he is today.
03:28pm 18/06/10 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
1896 posts
Dumb ass kid strangles himself when he jumped from his bunk bed with a cord/rope around his neck. Wow i'm stunned. We didn't lose an einstien here.
03:30pm 18/06/10 Permalink
IVY_MiKe
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
67 posts
This kinda reminds me of a story I heard about last year...

A kid in NSW strangled himself to death whilst riding his dirt bike apparently... he had a length of rope over his shoulder and as he rode along, one end of the rope somehow snuck down and became entangled in the chain/sprocket...

This (the xbox story) still seems suss tho...
03:35pm 18/06/10 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
6164 posts
And that Muslim woman who died last year (or was it this year?) after being strangled when her Burqa was caught in the go-cart drive system.

I know a guy who was climbing a tree and slipped, gored himself on a branch and was hanging suspended by the branch which was hooked in the middle of his chest just underneath the base of the sternum - i.e., hanging on a branch with just his rib-cage. He had to push himself off. He survived and has a decent scar to show for his efforts.
04:20pm 18/06/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
7560 posts
I once stabbed myself accidently with a pair of 12" tailors scissors (full steel construction)
I was 5, my brother (7) and neighbour (6) were using hammers to put holes in a massive cardboard box that our above ground pool came in

I couldn't find a third hammer so I grabbed the scissors from inside and started following suit, mum called lunch and I turned my head while striking the cardboard
put one of the blades through my right shin and in about 3 inches

7 stiches

unrelated but I found this when googling for scissors

http://craziestgadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/pizza-scissors.jpg
sauce

awsome!@
04:31pm 18/06/10 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
10353 posts
when my dad was a kid he was chopping wood with an axe and axe slipped and went into his leg. it got stuck in the bone so took a bit to get it out. it did no lasting damage.
04:47pm 18/06/10 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
6725 posts
The other week I opened the kitchen cupboard and a tin of campbell's soup fell on my big toe from the first shelf. It hurt like a MFer. No lasting damage to see.
04:57pm 18/06/10 Permalink
FraktuRe
Gold Coast, Queensland
2308 posts
When I was 14 I was on a billy cart when I somehow managed to pull the steering wheel of at full pelt. Rolled and my leg got dragged along behind me, nearly ripped it off. Bone's severed straight through and some parts of my foot were ground down to the bone!
05:05pm 18/06/10 Permalink
Gesthemene
Brisbane, Queensland
875 posts
I used to think that I was fairly tough and that I could shrug off some nasty injuries. Torn lumbar discs, dislocated shoulders and knees, 2nd and 3rd degree burns, s*** like that.

However, I remember the day that I realised I had nothing to brag about. My then-girlfriend's parents own a sheep station. It's large. Her father was clearing trees to put up a new fence about 20 minutes ride away from their house. Somehow, the chainsaw slipped or snagged on something and ended up out of control. He ended up having it cut through his palm, almost severing his pinky and ring fingers from the rest. If it were me, I would've spent a significant amount of time thoroughly losing my s*** and going, "f*** f*** oh f*****g f***!". Apparently, he just grabbed a tube of superglue from his toolkit, glued his hand back together, hopped back on his bike and rode back to the house, covered in blood. The RFDS were called and he was flown to hospital where his hand was stitched back together. That s***'s insanely hardcore. If it were me, by the time that he was back at the house, I think all I would've managed to do would be to soil myself, go into shock and pass out.
05:19pm 18/06/10 Permalink
Crusher
Newcastle, New South Wales
498 posts
when I was a kid I used to sit on my skateboard and go down the driveway. It was pretty steep but it was fun. At the bottom it levelled out to flat and then onto the cul-de-sac street.

One day I hit the street and was thrown off forwards and slid across the ashphalt on my face, ripped it up nice and bad.

These days I spend my time playing a pipe organ under the opera house. The money isnt great but its better than being hung by a xbox controller.
05:29pm 18/06/10 Permalink
Methz
Sydney, New South Wales
190 posts
Xbox controllers have that quick-release plug near the end of the cord. They thing comes unplugged at the drop of a hat. Seems a bit suss.

I haven't read the article but maybe he was tangled up that much that there was no tension on the actual plug?
05:36pm 18/06/10 Permalink
spoon
Brisbane, Queensland
155 posts
When i was a kid I told a completely unrelated story on ausforums.
05:58pm 18/06/10 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
1897 posts
^ in which case he is an even bigger idiot for jumping if he was that tangled up
05:59pm 18/06/10 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
16465 posts
I reckon he was doing that whole strangle yourself and masturbate thing kids were doing a couple of years ago. That or he got banned from xbox live for 10000 years.
06:37pm 18/06/10 Permalink
Raider
Brisbane, Queensland
3056 posts
we used to have a hole in our wall and i had 1 of those mad nurf guns and used to fire shots at it, eventually i hit it, went to get the arrow or w/e the fk it was i was shooting out and it kept slipping down, eventually i had like my arm prob to 1/2 my forearm in the wall, got jolted and ran away.

was boss, meanwhile yer don't xbox cables have the quick release on 360? i know my reg 1 used to have it, fkn annoying as hell u tug it a tiny bit and it broke, i can hardly see a 20-30kg kid hanging, not snapping that thing
06:41pm 18/06/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
7562 posts
he must have forgot to put a slice of lemon in his mouth
07:00pm 18/06/10 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
29552 posts
when my dad was a kid he was chopping wood with an axe and axe slipped and went into his leg. it got stuck in the bone so took a bit to get it out. it did no lasting damage.

my mum always told me the story of her mates saying "chop here" and they did resulting in their mate losing his finger in an axe related injury
07:02pm 18/06/10 Permalink
The GuVna
Brisbane, Queensland
1257 posts
Pizza Scissors win thread
07:12pm 18/06/10 Permalink
wiggleplix
Melbourne, Victoria
38 posts
I had to rescue my pet parrot from being strangled, he wasn't playing on the x box though, just wrapped a few threads from his cover around his neck after chewing it to pieces.
07:16pm 18/06/10 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
59 posts
I want to know how it had "inadvertently become wrapped around his neck". Im pretty sure I would notice if something was wrapped around my neck.
08:47pm 18/06/10 Permalink
ctd
Brisbane, Queensland
8831 posts
Sometimes when I get a few headshots in CS I like to wrap the mouse cable around my neck and I get a semi. Sexual.
08:52pm 18/06/10 Permalink
weedy
Melbourne, Victoria
237 posts
When i was little like 6 i sharpened a butter knife for a couple of hours... i was bored...

Then tested to see how sharpe it was and it nearly chopped my finger off :)

BUTTER KNIVES CAN BE DANGEROUS!

As for kid killing himself on cable hmmm i do know lots of cats kill themselves by getting strangled by cords but an human?
12:00am 19/06/10 Permalink
neffo
Forum Hero
Wynnum, Queensland
16857 posts
Maybe he was looking for a new sensation?

12:18am 19/06/10 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
3859 posts
I heard he was playing a Kung Fu game, and got really into it.
12:40am 19/06/10 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
3974 posts
When i was 11, i was playing xbox one day and the cable got wrapped around me neck. I died.

The end.
02:48am 19/06/10 Permalink
wiggleplix
Melbourne, Victoria
39 posts
When i was little like 6 i sharpened a butter knife for a couple of hours... i was bored...

Then tested to see how sharpe it was and it nearly chopped my finger off :)

BUTTER KNIVES CAN BE DANGEROUS!

As for kid killing himself on cable hmmm i do know lots of cats kill themselves by getting strangled by cords but an human?

Totally agree. A friend of mine did the same thing and cut 4 fingers down to the bone. He cut through tendons and had to have physio for several months to regain use.
He was 27 though and was digging out small burrowing animals from a concrete wall at the time- don't ask.
06:42am 19/06/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
5569 posts
At my first job we had to cut butter before using it, and butter is cold and hard, so we had this massive sharp knife to cut it. It was the butter knife. One of the guys that worked there threatened some kids once with "Don't make me get the butter knife!". Ah good times.
10:08am 19/06/10 Permalink
travdawg
Gold Coast, Queensland
81 posts
this kind of story reminds me 100% of that final destination movie where death has a plan and kills c**** in a rediculous fashion one after the other
11:03am 19/06/10 Permalink
taggs
Brisbane, Queensland
4229 posts
ahaha, nf with the inappropriate lulz.
11:29am 19/06/10 Permalink
Persay
Brisbane, Queensland
6565 posts
i can see this happening, prob had an uber long cable and either rolled around heaps on his bed or had it all nicely rolled up so he ppl can walk under the cable without getting tangled

Xbox will put warning labels on all cables now lolz
10:03pm 20/06/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:03pm 20/06/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.