Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Operation Freeweb - Anonymous filter protest
eXemplar
2402 posts
So after gaining a bit of attention for a DDoS attack against some federal websites, it looks like they're now going to try protest in the flesh against the proposed filter.

Media:
http://delimiter.com.au/2010/02/15/anonymous-takes-filter-protest-to-the-streets/
http://itnews.com.au/News/167295,operation-titstorm-hits-the-streets.aspx
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/02/15/065232/Operation-Titstorm-Hits-the-Streets

Source: http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Project_Freeweb (nsfw adverts, language, aboriginal flag burning, etc etc)

Will be interesting to see (if, even) how the public media spins this. Thinking about wandering past just to see how big of a turnout they get.
11:07pm 15/02/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:07pm 15/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29370 posts
http://www.efa.org.au/2010/02/15/australians-deserve-an-open-internet/ deserves more coverage

if you wander past, make sure you do it at a distance - if I had just participated in a criminal act, or was part of an organisation whose members had just committed a criminal act, I sure wouldn't be out on the street representing to be part of said organisation
11:31pm 15/02/10 Permalink
eXemplar
2403 posts
Yeah, definately.

I had no idea about any of this until after the fact and people started asking at work what we're doing to protect our online services, even though it was directed at the federal governments, not state.

Pity the most I've heard in any media about the filter recently is from 4chan, didn't even hear about the new efa initiative until your post.
11:50pm 15/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29373 posts
The EFA thing was only announced today, which is prolly why, but yes, there's far too much circle jerking over all that other bulls***
11:54pm 15/02/10 Permalink
Seven
Wollongong, New South Wales
1239 posts
Got to admit, these attacks are the most action the cause against the filter has seen to date.

Shame, really. To let the government see how much you disagree with what they are doing one must perform a criminal act. Especially as the gov't are meant to represent the people, they're not meant to be an evil corporation.

I agree with what they stand for, but not how they show it. However, the appeal against the filter needs all the allies it can get right now.
11:58pm 15/02/10 Permalink
eXemplar
2404 posts
The EFA thing was only announced today

So was this it seems, really bad luck to both come out on the same day. I can't even find any decent links or articles on open internet, excepting a few twitter/blog posts on page 2+ on google.

No news like bad news, hey.
12:06am 16/02/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
5978 posts
if you wander past, make sure you do it at a distance - if I had just participated in a criminal act, or was part of an organisation whose members had just committed a criminal act, I sure wouldn't be out on the street representing to be part of said oganisation

been to church lately?
pretty sure you won't find too many catholics who feel guilt for sodomising little boys unless they actually sodomised little boys
12:39am 16/02/10 Permalink
gamer
348 posts
Or the crusades.

I can tell you now Trogles, anyone who actually lauched anything malicios obviously is smart enough not to goto these rallies. Changes are the AFP (fed police) will be there taking happy snaps and trying to get some background and reoccurance in order to gather intel on these anonymous crouds.

Good on them I say for giving the masses a chance to take this to the streets.
08:39am 16/02/10 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
4144 posts
Assuming they're not all wearing Guy Fawkes masks again?
09:32am 16/02/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
29376 posts
pretty sure you won't find too many catholics who feel guilt for sodomising little boys unless they actually sodomised little boys
wat

Isn't that the whole point of Catholic guilt?

I would expect real Catholics to have thorough guilt issues, otherwise what's the point of being in a religion
10:08am 16/02/10 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
2484 posts
Dont carry any ID to the demonstration.
01:53pm 16/02/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4064 posts
You can't get arrested for being friends with the hacker, but having no ID and refusing to identify yourself will just get you put in the watchhouse.

I don't know why 4chan bother, they can hardly be taken seriously. What is their obsession with that V for Vendetta movie, that is one of the worst movies I've ever seen, I don't even remember anything happening in it.

02:25pm 16/02/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
5988 posts
I hope you're trolling thermite

4chan/anon pretty much have to be taken seriously, they've done some pretty crazy s*** and they have held some powerful people/companies to ransom (most recently the DBCDE, Aussie Parliament etc)

The mask they use is not from V for Vendetta, it's a Guy Fawkes mask

I like that we have a global, well known power-to-be-reckoned with on our side for the most part.
02:45pm 16/02/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4068 posts
Was that comedy website supposed to support your claims? :/

I never said anything about a mask either, you haven't read the links posted earlier.

last edited by thermite at 14:49:35 16/Feb/10
02:48pm 16/02/10 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
2500 posts
The Project Freeweb people are actually asking people to pose in a Civil protest. No Guy Fawkes masks, no silly Internet memes signs. Just people, showing their peacefull 'real world' opposition to the proposed internet filter.

I hope they get huge numbers however I doubt they will. I'm doing what little I can to support the EFA. I still hope that 4chan continues their emense effort but in a more constructive manner, like the proposed organised protest rallies.
02:50pm 16/02/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
5989 posts
they use the same Guy Fawkes mask in V for Vendetta
03:55pm 16/02/10 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
2487 posts
Without ID you make it more work for the police to Identify you.
You can give them your name and address but you could still be anyone.
04:45pm 16/02/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
5995 posts
isn't it illegal to walk around w/o ID on your person?
04:46pm 16/02/10 Permalink
Seven
1243 posts

WTF? No seriously, WTF? You cannot seriously be asking that question.
So everyone < 16 y.o. is breaking the law?
Everyone without a drivers' licence or proof of age card is breaking the law?
People going to the beach with just boardies and a towel are too?

Use your brain.

last edited by Seven at 16:49:34 16/Feb/10
04:46pm 16/02/10 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
17120 posts
If you don't have any ID on you, you can be arrested for vagrancy.

Obviously they are only going to hassle homeless people who loiter around places, and drunk people passed out on the street, not people surfing or kids walking down to buy milk.

Use your brain.
04:55pm 16/02/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
5998 posts
Use your brain.

lol, use yours?
over reaction much

you can get ID before you turn 18 just fyi, your school ID is, funnily enough, ID.
05:15pm 16/02/10 Permalink
Seven
1247 posts
If you don't have any ID on you, you can be arrested for vagrancy.

Link me on that one please.
you can get ID before you turn 18 just fyi, your school ID is, funnily enough, ID.

The only accepted ID in Australia is the Proof of Age card (16+ years) and the Drivers' Licence. Any other forms of ID do not count for anything. What sort of government would arrest a citizen for not having ID on them? There are so many circumstances where you wouldn't.

Police are allowed to demand to see your ID, but it is not law that you must present it at the time of request. The exception here is driving, you must carry that at all times, but even then cops are lenient and will either check on the computer or ask that you report to the station with it in hand.

Arrested for not having ID on you, damn, love to see the laws you guys would invent.
06:11pm 16/02/10 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
17128 posts
Its in the QLD Summary Offenses Act 2005. You can search for it from that I hate trolling through s*** like that.
06:12pm 16/02/10 Permalink
Seven
1249 posts
Its in the QLD Summary Offenses Act 2005.

No it's not.
06:24pm 16/02/10 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
2488 posts
Vagrancy is less then $10 now ?
it still doesnt identify you.
06:35pm 16/02/10 Permalink
Syco
Brisbane, Queensland
1065 posts
The only accepted ID in Australia is the Proof of Age card (16+ years) and the Drivers' Licence. Any other forms of ID do not count for anything. What sort of government would arrest a citizen for not having ID on them? There are so many circumstances where you wouldn't.

Police are allowed to demand to see your ID, but it is not law that you must present it at the time of request. The exception here is driving, you must carry that at all times, but even then cops are lenient and will either check on the computer or ask that you report to the station with it in hand.

I believe you can also use a passport. I think (if you're driving, at least it's what I heard when I was on my p's) if you do not have your licence on you while on p's you can be fined, but on o's you are given 24 hours to show it at a station.
06:40pm 16/02/10 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
17130 posts
Ohhh damn I think I might have been wrong about the vagrancy... I know it is a law in the States though I saw it on cops :(
07:34pm 16/02/10 Permalink
taggs
Brisbane, Queensland
3662 posts
Its in the QLD Summary Offenses Act 2005. You can search for it from that I hate trolling through s*** like that.

no it's not. what you're referring to is probably this:

40 Person may be required to state name and address

(1) A police officer may require a person to state the person’s
correct name and address in prescribed circumstances.

(2) Also, the police officer may require the person to give
evidence of the correctness of the stated name and address if,
in the circumstances, it would be reasonable to expect the
person to be in possession of evidence of the correctness of
the stated name or address or to otherwise be able to give the
evidence.

taken from Police Powers and Responsibilities Act 2000 as viewed here: http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/P/PolicePowResA00.pdf

it is not against the law to be in public without ID. it may be against the law if you can't produce evidence of your name/address (ID) where it is reasonable to expect someone to have such evidence - but it is for a court to decide that, not a police officer.

i'm no lawyer but school/uni/whatever ID isn't legal identification afaik. only government sanctioned IDs (drivers licence, passport, proof of age card, etc) will hold up in those circumstances. i would have thought you could pay your lawyer 3k/day to find these things out :P

I think (if you're driving, at least it's what I heard when I was on my p's) if you do not have your licence on you while on p's you can be fined, but on o's you are given 24 hours to show it at a station.

afaik this used to be the case, but it is now an on the spot fine. haven't checked this one though so could be wrong.
07:52pm 16/02/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
6001 posts
I've had cops check my school ID before

come to think of it every time I've ever been told I *must* carry identification I've been in a car, usually going to get milk or bread and just neglected to take my licence
08:06pm 16/02/10 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
4149 posts

Yes, but we're not in Nazi occupied Paris.
08:16pm 16/02/10 Permalink
taggs
Brisbane, Queensland
3663 posts
I've had cops check my school ID before

sure police will check it, i had police check my school ID when i was younger. doesn't mean it's a legal proof of identity. try using a school/uni/whatever ID to take out a loan, get into a pub, etc.

come to think of it every time I've ever been told I *must* carry identification I've been in a car, usually going to get milk or bread and just neglected to take my licence

like Seven said police will often let you off, but afaik you can be fined on the spot for driving without a valid licence on your person.
08:25pm 16/02/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:25pm 16/02/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.