Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
XBox 360 network questions...
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
1641 posts
A couple of questions about XBox 360 networking:

a) I have my XB360 connected to my PC and I can stream media off my PC to watch on the TV. However I haven't been able to get the set up quite right.

At the moment, I have the following:
Internet connection into modem (Optus cable) goes to Linksys WRT54G router. From this router I connect Xbox, PC and XBox 360 (all via Cat 5 cable). I also run Wireless VPN connection for my work laptop.
Now I can connect to the Internet (Xbox Live) on the 360 using this setup but I can't see my PC on the XBox 360. If I disconnect 360's cable from the router and plug directly into the back on the PC (onboard network card) I can then stream music and movies from PC to 360.
I can stream all media to the old Xbox in the bedroom no problem.
Can anyone direct me to a tutorial or suggest a solution so I can leave the 360 connected and use Live as well as stream media from PC? If you need more info to diagnose I can post it.
I haven't worried about it and just worked around it but as I understand it you can d/l codecs which allow you to play more files etc but only if you are connected to Live while you view them.

b) Is there any other way to listen to Audio files on the 360 other than loading up every audio track on the PC you are streaming from? I go to "Audio library" and choose artist and then wait while the list is populated. You can search by folder making this next to useless for stream finding specific songs.

c) I can't seem to get Windows Media Centre to work. Is there a trick?

11:06pm 07/02/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:06pm 07/02/10 Permalink
Crizane Tribal
Brisbane, Queensland
2937 posts
Did you setup what folders you are sharing through Windows Media Player? You need to enable Windows Media Center Extender, and then specify which folders you want to share. The Xbox should then pick them up.
11:07pm 07/02/10 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
1642 posts
Is this in Windows Media PLayer v.11?

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/9346/mediasharing.jpg

This is the only "media sharing" I can find.
11:15pm 07/02/10 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
950 posts
this may sound strange...

PS3 Media server is an app used to stream media from a PC to a ps3... funnily enough i was playing around and found it worked brilliantly with xbox360 as well...

Saves having to f*** around with the lame (and almost intentionally challenging) way that Microsoft have setup sharing media.

Give the app a whirl.

When you launch it, it will try search for a ps3.. it will probably give you a big red x saying it cant find one... ignore that and proceed.
11:21pm 07/02/10 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
1643 posts
Actually the "sharing" part is ok, it's just with audio files I can't find how you can search by folder (in the same way you can with video).

About the best you can do is "playlist", but since I have around 70K mp3s, scrolling through them individually to find an album, artist or track is not going to work.

Is there a media player plug in or something?

More importantly though if the 360 and PC were networked properly maybe that would be a start. As I said, it works but I have to swap cables and go "offline" on the 360 to stream content from the PC which is a pain in the arse.
11:22pm 07/02/10 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
951 posts
alternatively use tversity... Though i personally think its aids.
11:22pm 07/02/10 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
952 posts
About the best you can do is "playlist",

sadly.. that is the best you can do....

lets hope they work out a way t jtag exploit all model of 360's so we can get some xbmc action happening again.
11:24pm 07/02/10 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
10270 posts
I get a similar issue with my network. I have my 360 hooked up wireless through a router that I forgot the name of with dd-wrt firmware on it set as a client-bridge.

Anyway I have a crappy Netgear WGT624, worst router I've ever had, it seems to sometimes have DHCP issues with 2 PC's, Xbox 360, VOIP adapter. If i look up the connected devices in the router it has two differnt IP address with the same computer name, even though I know one of them doesn't have that name.

Anyway I need to power-cycle the router every now and then to fix it up. It mainly happens when I turn the streaming computer off.

11:37pm 07/02/10 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
1644 posts
OK thanks will try the PS3 Media Server...sounds like that what I am looking for.

However I am still not sure why the XBox can't find the PC while it's "online".
If the 360 is connected to the router, what do I need to do to make it see the PC?
11:49pm 07/02/10 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
1645 posts
Yes I have the same problems cos I used to have it set up and working as I wanted it i.e. both PC and 360 online and able to stream, but when I would switch off XBox PC would freeze, sometimes requiring reboot.
11:51pm 07/02/10 Permalink
Offset
Brisbane, Queensland
223 posts
I don’t know if this helps but this is what I have to do every time I want to watch a movie on my TV via the Xbox.

I start windows media player. I then bring down the library tab and select "Media Shearing..."

From there I hit the network button and customise my network to a (private network)

I have to do this every time I switch my computer on or I can't accesses my music / movies in my shared folders on my pc via the Xbox.

Every time I reboot the pc it resets my network to a (public network) and I cant stream media.
To this day the only fix I know is to upgrade to windows 7.
12:04am 08/02/10 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
1646 posts
Ok so I installed the PS3 app...now what?

When you launch it, it will try search for a ps3.. it will probably give you a big red x saying it cant find one... ignore that and proceed.

I got this. But how do I run it through XBox. It hasn't changed anything. It is running in the background on my PC but doesn't appear to affect anything.

How do I use it?!
01:27am 08/02/10 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
953 posts

I got this. But how do I run it through XBox. It hasn't changed anything. It is running in the background on my PC but doesn't appear to affect anything.

How do I use it?!

goto the navigation/sharing tab, and select what folders you want to share.. then restart the app (should be a button at the top)

once done goto the 360, go to the menu that brings up streaming media across network (i forget the name of it) and it should take a second while it searches for media server... eventually one will come up called (ps3media server - pcname) select that...

your shared/files/folders should now be listed and viewable.
01:35am 08/02/10 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15459 posts
I never got the attraction with streaming stuff, it all seemed like too much trouble to set up some kind of server, transcode all the videos, send them to an xbox or whatever. I found it easier to just install VLC on a computer/laptop & have another PC/NAS with a network share. Create a playlist on the remote PC using VLC and you're away.

I have tried streaming stuff to my 360 using ps3 media server and yeah it works but it took longer to set that s*** up than it takes to plug in my laptop to the hdmi port on my tv & start up VLC/media center on the laptop.
01:41am 08/02/10 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
1647 posts
Is the menu you're talking about the "Video library", "Music Library" tabs under "My Xbox"? Cos that hasn't changed at all.

I can see the folders as usual eg: e:/ etc under my Network name and there's also another folder called Orb something or other that contains 4 folders: Internet TV, Live TV, Webcams and Online Videos (the majority of which are empty).

I can't see PS3 Media Server at all.

Been f*****g around now for over an hour changed router settings, restarted PC and XBox about 10 times, restarted router several times, it is ridiculous.

I have tried testing the connection on the XBox and it is just telling me to check ports, auto assign DHCP or whatever. I have networked PCs before and have a limited idea of what I am doing. God help any Johnny-noob who is trying to set this s*** up for their kids or whatever and hasn't got a clue.
F*****g Microsoft. Why in the f*** there isn't a big CONNECT button and be done with it is beyond me.

01:58am 08/02/10 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15460 posts
Look for a upnp media server thing on the 360, you're not looking to connect to a specific PC like you do when you connect to a media center PC. I can't tell you how to set up ps3 media server because I have mine installed on a mac (lolmacf**) so you're on your own there as to whether you have that set up correctly.

On the xbox go to My Xbox -> video library -> ps3 media server (pc name here). It should be at the bottom of the list. Replace video library with song library if you're trying to stream songs.

If it's not there you might not have it set up right but like I said, can't help you there because mine's not installed in windows.
03:13am 08/02/10 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
954 posts

I have tried testing the connection on the XBox and it is just telling me to check ports, auto assign DHCP or whatever. I have networked PCs before and have a limited idea of what I am doing. God help any Johnny-noob who is trying to set this s*** up for their kids or whatever and hasn't got a clue.

I couldn't agree more, its the prime reason that as soon as ps3 media server was released i then used my ps3 as a media centre and not my xbox.... only reason i suggested it was because i noticed it worked on both systems... but ohz wellz fail.
07:53am 08/02/10 Permalink
bjp
Brisbane, Queensland
211 posts
mine works fine.

I have PC to Router, router to modem, router to Xbox360. I have Media Centre setup properly on my PC with all the libraries. First time I turned on my Xbox it detected media centre extender and now my xbox media centre runs exactly as it would on my desktop pc.
09:44am 08/02/10 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
4618 posts
360s are s*** when you have more than one media server on the network. PS3 is a far better media solution.

I hope this post helped.
11:44am 08/02/10 Permalink
Tiny
Brisbane, Queensland
1662 posts
PS3 Media server is an app used to stream media from a PC to a ps3... funnily enough i was playing around and found it worked brilliantly with xbox360 as well...

I switched to this service as well when i got the s**** with the 360's refusal to recognize MKV files and all the other annoying hassles you mention here. The windows service that shares media over the network is s***.

1) It is annoying to get new files to recognise once placed in an already shared media folder (you have to re-scan your library in WMP for it to pick it up)
2) Its s*** and laggy sometimes with bigger files.
3) It does not recongize MKV and other video formats some bluerayrips come in.

Save yourself time and hassle and just use PS3 media server.

Every time I reboot the pc it resets my network to a (public network) and I cant stream media.
To this day the only fix I know is to upgrade to windows 7.

I noticed this too but I run windows 7 and it does it too me on occasion especially when I run the network wizard on windows 7 it resets s*** to default. I know its fixable but its an annoying problem that should not happen in the first place.

F*** you microsoft and your s***** media sharing.

last edited by Tiny at 11:57:20 08/Feb/10

last edited by Tiny at 11:57:59 08/Feb/10
11:53am 08/02/10 Permalink
nomis
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
3 posts
I noticed this too but I run windows 7 and it does it too me on occasion especially when I run the network wizard on windows 7 it resets s*** to default. I know its fixable but its an annoying problem that should not happen in the first place. F*** you microsoft and your s***** media sharing. last edited by Tiny at 11:57:20 08/Feb/10last edited by Tiny at 11:57:59 08/Feb/10
you r obviously doing it wrong cause that has never happened to me
12:12pm 15/02/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:12pm 15/02/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.