Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
partition help
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
506 posts
Using Win7 32bit how can I change the partition of c: drive as it's almost full :( (I didn't allocated enough mb)

Using win7 I selected d: then chose 'shrink' which works, but it still won't allow me to 'expand' my c:\ as the option is greyed out.

I install 0&0 partion and the option to expand is still greyed out.

Does anyone know what I am trying to do is possible?

Thanks
09:49pm 22/01/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:49pm 22/01/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
5503 posts
partition magic pretty much
10:07pm 22/01/10 Permalink
Seven
Wollongong, New South Wales
1181 posts
Acronis Disk Director or GTFO
10:08pm 22/01/10 Permalink
Syco
Brisbane, Queensland
1000 posts
Just don't partition in the first place, there's no need for it. Make a new folder sheesh..
10:09pm 22/01/10 Permalink
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
507 posts
Although I haven't tried it, I'm guessing that partition magic will do the same job as the O&O partition one im using...
10:13pm 22/01/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
5505 posts
nah it's the bomb
10:15pm 22/01/10 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
4334 posts
I'm pretty sure you can't resize a partition while it's in use, so you'll need to boot from some other drive.
10:28pm 22/01/10 Permalink
Seven
1182 posts
No, you can resize a partition in use. Well, I know you can increase the size, not entirely sure about decreasing. Acronis lets you restart and does it prior to bootup for you.
10:32pm 22/01/10 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15332 posts
I did this the other night, I had to copy all my stuff off my other drives onto a usb hard drive & nuke all my partitions except windows'. I then expanded that sucker & re-made all my other partitions & copied all my data back onto the same drive letters they came from so as not to confuse everything that had been installed.

Worked like a charm although might be hard if you don't have an external hard drive or NAS to copy to.
10:34pm 22/01/10 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
8963 posts
Paragon Disk Manager will let you resize without having to format. Works fine with 7.
12:30am 23/01/10 Permalink
weedy
Melbourne, Victoria
40 posts
You can extend your primary partition c: and shrink ur d: partition with partition magic without a boot disc. It gets u to choose the changes, finalises them and you reboot, but caution if u don't know what ur doing u might stuff up ur primary booting partition and if you do that good luck in fixing it is all i can say ;)

Just be careful not to move that primary partition
02:47am 23/01/10 Permalink
Syco
Brisbane, Queensland
1001 posts
Why do people bother partitioning? Surely just having one full drive with an extra folder is cleaner?
03:00am 23/01/10 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15333 posts
I store stuff on other partitions so when I format I don't have to download 50 gigs of steam games + go hunting for drivers/programs because they're safely stored on another partition.
03:07am 23/01/10 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
5554 posts
gparted is an open source partition manager which will do this.
05:52am 23/01/10 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Queenstown, New Zealand
3741 posts
gparted +1

Or you could always buy another drive, clone and either specify the size of the parts or have em auto expand as part of the clone process.

On another note why aren't people running a storage server, actually come to think of it that could be a good article for the next ausgames walk-through

As if have locally stored data
06:45am 23/01/10 Permalink
Seven
1183 posts
Why do people bother partitioning? Surely just having one full drive with an extra folder is cleaner?

Windows on its own partition is much better. Formats & reinstalls are much easier this way, like whoop said.
07:29am 23/01/10 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
27787 posts
i used to do that, but cant be assed anymore
08:45am 23/01/10 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
5644 posts
I store stuff on other partitions so when I format I don't have to download 50 gigs of steam games

Windows on its own partition is much better

I assume you guys only have a single drive system, otherwise the no-partition argument would still hold.

I thought most people would have moved onto at least two drives by now? One for OS/apps and another for media, games and long-term storage. That way you not only have less fragmentation but you'd split up disk I/O and hence should have faster loads and less thrashing/glitching during games and also everyday tasks.

With disks so dirt cheap these days it's a wonder ...

last edited by parabol at 10:16:02 23/Jan/10
10:14am 23/01/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
6469 posts
Another one for GPartEd
Best partition tool ever
free, painless and it works.
11:35am 23/01/10 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15334 posts
On another note why aren't people running a storage server, actually come to think of it that could be a good article for the next ausgames walk-through

While I can see a NAS being a good storage solution if you have multiple PC's and your NAS can act as a router, print server, media server, etc and stream data to all the PC's and allow them to print. It's probably not as cost effective if you only have one PC connected directly to your printer & modem.

Then there's the issue of where to put it, if you live in a one bedroom apartment with only one PC and your PC is also your TV then there's no need for a streaming media server.

As for the walk-through, it would read like this: Go to some place that sells thecus, buy the [insert model number here], put hard drives in it and enjoy, anyone who needs help building their own NAS shouldn't.

last edited by whoop at 12:21:49 23/Jan/10
12:19pm 23/01/10 Permalink
Syco
Brisbane, Queensland
1005 posts
Maybe I'm just used to having far too many HDD's in my main PC. I've got a storage server also. I suppose two partitions for re-installing might be a little easier but I'd just move my doccuments and settings folder and delete the windows and program files folders and re-install that way heh.
08:01pm 23/01/10 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15338 posts
See, the way I had mine set up was a main system partition and all my docs & settings were stored on another drive so when I formatted I didn't have to copy anything across. I did it that way so that if windows suddenly dies one day and I can't even get into safe mode I know it's safe to just nuke the windows partition from orbit without having to worry about how I'm going to get in & copy any data off.

I used to have 4 hard drives in my main PC all for different storage stuffs but since hard drives got so big I just do the same thing but with partitions instead of separate physical drives. I do have a NAS too though but then again there's 2 PC's and 4 laptops here so makes for a nice handy central storage instead of having to have the main PC on chewing up 300 watts at idle.
09:09pm 23/01/10 Permalink
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
508 posts
How can GPartEd be painless when I can't even install it? I've burnt the iso there's no exe.

s***house
09:18pm 23/01/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
6473 posts
rrrocket, gparted is a linux-based livecd. Boot off it. File systems are best modified when they're not in use :)
11:00pm 23/01/10 Permalink
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
509 posts
okay thanks hardware. Feel like a noob now.

Anyway looks as though you cannot increase an existing partition still. :(
09:26pm 25/01/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
6498 posts
so say you have two partitons, a and b

<---a---><------b------>

and you want a to be bigger
you can't increase a without reducing & moving b

so it'll go like this

1. Original State
2. Reduce partition B
3. Move partition B
4. Expand partition A

diagram:

<---a---><------b------>
<---a---><---b--->xxxxxx
<---a--->xxxxxx<---b--->
<------a------><---b--->
09:49pm 25/01/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11126 posts
lol rocket
11:39pm 25/01/10 Permalink
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
517 posts
lol you seriously think I haven't already reduced my other drive? If you read my first post you'd know I already successfully reduced my other drive.

get the facts jim

lol
09:30pm 26/01/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
6505 posts
rrrocket, so we're talking about one physical disk split into two partitions, right?

Post us up a screenshot of something that shows us what's going on pls
10:15pm 26/01/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11129 posts
I said lol cos you didn't even read the instructions, then concluded an existing partition can't be resized - but it can
10:19pm 26/01/10 Permalink
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
519 posts
hardware, How do I put up a screen shot on this? When I select Image on the right there ----> it just uses a url.
10:21pm 26/01/10 Permalink
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
520 posts
also when I boot with gparted the screen shot button doesn't work.

Partition 8 can do it but not compatible with win7.
10:35pm 26/01/10 Permalink
YoungNastyMan
Sydney, New South Wales
394 posts
Windows 7 can do it out of the box. But you can't have your free space in an extended partition and try to expand from your primary across into it. Is your D drive and the free space in an extended?
07:27am 27/01/10 Permalink
jesu
Brisbane, Queensland
616 posts
08:49am 27/01/10 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
14997 posts
on a similar topic, my c: is an old 160gb hard drive which i think is on the way out. would i be able to image that drive and copy it to another new drive, then set the new drive as my c:/??
01:58pm 27/01/10 Permalink
andrewus
Brisbane, Queensland
2318 posts
infi you just use any software like acronis true image, norton ghost and image the drive to the new drive and then just plug in the new drive and w00h00 hooray magic /cheer
02:08pm 27/01/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
4945 posts
infi:
I know you can do that with Norton Ghost, its basically what its for, you create compressed / trimmed images and load them into a partition and 'fill' it.

No idea about a non-commercial option though.
02:10pm 27/01/10 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Queenstown, New Zealand
3772 posts
hardware wins for best ever ASCII diagram explaining the solution
02:20pm 27/01/10 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
11131 posts
yeh it was pretty good hey
02:25pm 27/01/10 Permalink
Seven
1197 posts
I thought most people would have moved onto at least two drives by now? One for OS/apps and another for media, games and long-term storage. That way you not only have less fragmentation but you'd split up disk I/O and hence should have faster loads and less thrashing/glitching during games and also everyday tasks.

I've got 4 drives actually. However, the (2) smallest are 300GB. Windows + UserData + Program Files take up 18GB atm. I have no interest in 'wasting' The remaining ~260GB. Hence I partition, and put storage stuff of the remainder of the drive.
When I format, only Windows, Program Files and UserData are erased and the rest of the drive storage is left intact. No thrashing problem. Pagefile also kept on entireley unrelated disk.
02:40pm 27/01/10 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
6507 posts
:D
04:45pm 27/01/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:45pm 27/01/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.