Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Cheap Bluray Stores
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
5533 posts
So I upgraded the HTPC to Bluray goodness today and am now on the hunt for cheap places to get Bluray movies from. So far the best looks to be Amazon UK with some dirt cheap prices (Bourne Trilogy for GBP18 and Matrix trilogy for GBP17).

Does anyone have AU recommendations for cheap prices other than JB?
08:24pm 29/12/09 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:24pm 29/12/09 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
5031 posts
Dunno how they compare to JB in terms of cheapness, but I've bought a few things from http://www.ezydvd.com.au/blu-ray.zml
08:50pm 29/12/09 Permalink
d[o_0]b
Brisbane, Queensland
3472 posts
been having trouble finding anywhere irl with a decent range in brisbane myself :(
08:55pm 29/12/09 Permalink
HeardY
Gaelic newb
Sydney, New South Wales
17082 posts
Ticles I am still ordering from Amazon.co.uk and getting them delivered here, it's dead cheap on delivery and usually arrives within less then a week.

Note I am still using my Irish credit card so the conversion doesn't kill me as much, but the AUD:GBP is relatively strong in any case.

Other option is Amazon.com and go against the USD

Also - http://www.dvdboxoffice.com is Candian so that might be OK too and they ship internationally for free
10:00pm 29/12/09 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
3798 posts
ezy dvd is a rip off compared 2 amazon
10:53pm 29/12/09 Permalink
TiT
Brisbane, Queensland
2782 posts
I use this site to work out if it has regions on the disc http://bluray.liesinc.net/

than either buy from amazon.com or amazon.uk
they are the chepest
03:49pm 30/12/09 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
3799 posts
i just bought season 1-4 of how i met your mother for 75$ from amazon.com, checked on ezydvd and each season is priced between 30-50$ each...

f*****g rimjaw. ezydvd is such a rip off
03:55pm 30/12/09 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
4265 posts
http://www.deepdiscount.com/

Any good?

I bought quite a few HD DVDs when the battle was lost from this place.
04:22pm 30/12/09 Permalink
ViperInc
Gold Coast, Queensland
37 posts
www.cdwow.com.au

all Aus/PAL format. games or movies.

last edited by ViperInc at 08:32:45 01/Jan/10
08:31am 01/01/10 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
3629 posts
HeardY - then everything needs a converter though yeah?
10:07am 01/01/10 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
5538 posts
Not from Amazon UK, we're in the same region for BluRay as them. Man I bought some awesome s*** from there for cheap;

Complete Band of Brothers for GBP14.77
Ultimate Bourne Collection for GBP15.55
Matrix Trilogy for GBP14.33

and a bunch of single movies for about GBP8. Ended up spending AU$280 and bought 16 movies & BoB box set.
11:11am 01/01/10 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
8999 posts
just got district 9 on bluray from jbhifi for $35
03:51pm 01/01/10 Permalink
Martz
Brisbane, Queensland
2453 posts
just got district 9 on bluray from jbhifi for $35

sounds expensive?? if that's cheap then damn it's taking bluray forever to become mainstream.
10:15am 02/01/10 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
9000 posts
yer thats pretty cheap. new releases are generally $40+

10:29am 02/01/10 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
6157 posts
I bought Star Trek & Terminator Salvation ex-rental blu-ray from our local Blockbusters for 19 each. Still in pretty good nick, no scratches and put my name down for District 9 when it's available for purchase ex-rental probably on Monday.

I'd say if you want new releases, try ex-rental because you can usually get it at about half price sometimes really cheap.
11:53am 02/01/10 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
623 posts
Not from Amazon UK, we're in the same region for BluRay as them.
Wouldn't Bluray regions be the same as DVD regions, i.e. they don't apply to us? All DVD players in Australia are supposed to be region free, I would have thought it would apply to Bluray as well.

Can't believe how cheap Amazon is, their BR's are cheaper than a lot of standard DVD's from JB's. Got a sale going at the moment.
01:18pm 02/01/10 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
9002 posts
gotta take shipping into account. depending on what type you go with you could be spending more.

however most people would probably just go for the cheapest which is delivery within 18-32 business days.
01:43pm 02/01/10 Permalink
d[o_0]b
Brisbane, Queensland
3479 posts
got pretty much all of the movies in this thread on BR from JB on boxing day for cheapo as (> $20) and some good deals on Bourne collection amd band of brothers... does anyone else think the range of movies on bluray sux!? even looking on torrent sites there is f*** all
01:50pm 02/01/10 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
5539 posts
deadlyf - BD regions are different. There's only 3 and we're in the same one was the UK.
05:43pm 02/01/10 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
624 posts
Are you sure? I mean it was an ACCC ruling against region codes for DVD's, why would Blurays be different?

They still have regions but the players are meant to be region free or capable of becoming region free with a code. Then again I can't see any difference between region codes on DVDs and places like Steam being allowed to price based on which country you are from so maybe you're right.
09:30pm 02/01/10 Permalink
Kat
11473 posts
What about ex rentals? They are cheap
10:06pm 02/01/10 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
5540 posts
Wikipedia says Yes!.

Movie studios have different region coding policies. Among major U.S. studios, Paramount Pictures and Universal Studios have released all of their titles region-free. Sony Pictures and Warner Bros. have released most of their titles region-free. Lionsgate and Walt Disney Pictures have released a mix of region-free and region-coded titles. 20th Century Fox has released most of their titles region-coded.

The Blu-ray Disc region coding scheme divides the world into 3 regions, labelled 'A', 'B' and 'C'.

Region A includes most North, Central and South American and Southeast Asian countries plus Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan and Korea.
Region B includes most European, African and southwest Asian countries plus Australia and New Zealand.
Region C contains the remaining central and south Asian countries, as well as China and Russia.

Don't know about region free players in AU because of the ACCC rulings though. When I look at the properties on my BDROM it says I can change the region up to 5 times before it's locked though.
10:17pm 02/01/10 Permalink
Syco
Brisbane, Queensland
932 posts
Don't know about region free players in AU because of the ACCC rulings though. When I look at the properties on my BDROM it says I can change the region up to 5 times before it's locked though.

Did you buy it from MSY? It might be an elcheapo azn import.
02:52am 03/01/10 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
4381 posts
When I look at the properties on my BDROM it says I can change the region up to 5 times before it's locked though.

DVD drives say that too, but I've reset the counter on my DVD drive many times.
03:15am 03/01/10 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
5541 posts
Did you buy it from MSY? It might be an elcheapo azn import.

Of course I did :) It's a Samsung drive so not sure how elcheapo it might be to allow unlimited region swapping.
09:36am 03/01/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:36am 03/01/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.