Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Swine Flu Is Deadly Mix Of Never-Before-Seen Viruses
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
837 posts
Swine flu panic is spreading in Mexico and soldiers are patrolling the streets after it was confirmed that human to human transmission is occurring and that the virus is a brand new strain which is seemingly affecting young, healthy people the worst, and that the bug is a never-before-seen intercontinental mixture of human, avian and pig viruses from America, Europe and Asia.

Clues that the virus may be a synthetic creation are already manifesting.
“This strain of swine influenza that’s been cultured in a laboratory is something that’s not been seen anywhere actually in the United States and the world, so this is actually a new strain of influenza that’s been identified,” said Dr. John Carlo, Dallas Co. Medical Director
http://www.prisonplanet.com/medical-director-swine-flu-was-cultured-in-a-laboratory.html

HOLY S*** !
Is this a Terrorist attack ?
First Americas economy is trashed and now they face an epidemic that their health system is not designed to cope with.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/26/world/americas/26flu.html?ref=health
cases in New YorK California and Texas.
12:49pm 26/04/09 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:49pm 26/04/09 Permalink
Lynx
Brisbane, Queensland
1301 posts
Get help
12:59pm 26/04/09 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
2625 posts
Haha terrorist attack ... you can't really believe the s*** you come up with can you?

This flu could be monster though and turn into the pandemic that the WHO has been expecting for years..
01:08pm 26/04/09 Permalink
MrHardware
Brisbane, Queensland
4796 posts
just for faceman
01:19pm 26/04/09 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
2626 posts
^

hahahahahaha
01:28pm 26/04/09 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
6009 posts
BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!!

We as a nation, have got to ask ourselves

This just makes me shake my head,
I mean, really, how f*****g stupid are Americans really....

I'm almost embarassed to admit I share my "metallicised" oxygen with them.

I for one hope this man bear pig bird virus was designed to eliminate IQ's less than 120 (I will still need a few stupid people around to do my menial tasks).
01:37pm 26/04/09 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
4232 posts
The U.S Economy crash is their own fault. No great conspiracy there.
01:55pm 26/04/09 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
9630 posts
So what clues are there that it is created?

Dude, I'm sure if they had the ability to make a viable virus, they could make something a lot more deadly then this one.

Stop smoking.
01:59pm 26/04/09 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
7656 posts
i blame the gays for the rainbows.
02:07pm 26/04/09 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
16414 posts
LOL, swine flu

that sounds hilarious
02:12pm 26/04/09 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
3395 posts
Lol @ FaceMan. Do you just look up new conspiracies all day?
02:19pm 26/04/09 Permalink
Taipan
Brisbane, Queensland
3105 posts
For the love of god will someone please just ban Facemen off these damn forums. Please put us out of our misery.
02:37pm 26/04/09 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
3397 posts
You mean him out of his
02:38pm 26/04/09 Permalink
Taipan
Brisbane, Queensland
3106 posts
As long as it gets done it's all good.
02:41pm 26/04/09 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
2627 posts
Dude, I'm sure if they had the ability to make a viable virus, they could make something a lot more deadly then this one.

Not to mention that the deployment was woefully orchestrated.

After all the effort involved in manufacturing a killer flu, to release it in f*****g Mexico? A real bio-terror attack would have simultaneous points of origin across the US, starting in major population centres like NYC, LA, Dallas and obviously DC, and possibly internationally in London, Paris etc.

Instead the virus' human vectors emerged in a poor region with relatively low hygiene standards, ripe for this sort of virus to evolve. Its just so blatantly a natural event that leaping to a conspiracy theory is ludicrous.
03:11pm 26/04/09 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
9631 posts
Released at Air ports, Train stations, bus ways and other major centers of public transport in confined spaces.
03:34pm 26/04/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
26655 posts
I vote we focus on the interesting-ness of this flu "outbreak" and ignore the conspiracy theory bulls***
03:53pm 26/04/09 Permalink
Taipan
Brisbane, Queensland
3108 posts
I vote that anyone talking about that s*** gets a nice long ban.
04:15pm 26/04/09 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
9239 posts
The most interesting discussion point right now is comparison to the last seriously bad influenza pandemic, the spanish flu, which occurred in 1918. It had an estimated 2-5% global mortality rate which works out to an estimated 20-100 million deaths in just 2 years.

As far a the actual mortality rate of the virus itself:
The unusually severe disease killed between 2 and 20% of those infected, as opposed to the more usual flu epidemic mortality rate of 0.1%.
For this current virus, I saw somone toting a number of around 5% based on reported cases and deaths but that wont be accurate because a large number of mild cases wont be reported which drops the number a lot and that probably isnt a large enough sample size anyway. The released statistics from a bbc article:
Mexico's Health Secretary, Jose Cordova, said a total of 1,324 people had been admitted to hospital with suspected symptoms since 13 April and were being tested for the virus.

"In that same period, 81 deaths were recorded probably linked to the virus but only in 20 cases we have the laboratory tests to confirm it," he said.

The swine-bird-man virus is of the same subtype as the spanish flu, H1A1 and unlike normal influenza outbreaks which peak in winter, the swine flu (and the spanish flu) are coming on leading up to summer (where it originates).

The spanish flu also differed to normal influenza in increased mortality in young adults as opposed to the very young/old:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8531/wcurve.png

The swine flu deaths have so far been in a similar age group. (not that it really means anything since most old people and babies dont go running around in markets and s*** where transmission probably occurs most, the first deaths being younger people isnt proof of anything)

There will probably be a whole bunch of other similarities which either relate to the subtype or are just coincidence/have a logical explanation rather than some kind of crazy specific of the virus which makes it more deadly. Most likely, we wont know s*** all about it for a while.

last edited by qmass at 16:39:49 26/Apr/09
04:28pm 26/04/09 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
9240 posts
Even more freaky, NEW ZEALAND IS ALREADY LOST. CLOSE THE F***EN BORDERS WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIEDIDIEIEIEIEI! (fear mongering is fun)

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/akld-students-show-swine-flu-symptoms-2675117
04:35pm 26/04/09 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
840 posts
The world is so much smaller now.
So many ppl traveling between countries very quickly.

I imagine TodayTonight and ACA will whip the public into a frenzy and Krudd will inevitably use a swear word to describe the situation.
04:44pm 26/04/09 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
2569 posts

faceman, what happened to parts of America being owned by China. wasn't that suppose to have happened by now?
05:09pm 26/04/09 Permalink
d0mino
Brisbane, Queensland
4091 posts
even thinking about this pandemic gives me the sniffles. MAYBE I HAVE IT.
05:19pm 26/04/09 Permalink
smashingpumpkin
Brisbane, Queensland
638 posts
I sware that faceman works for one of those current affairs programs. They know how to blow s*** out of proportion and give a skewed interpretation of the truth.

05:27pm 26/04/09 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
842 posts
Dont force me to make a Chem-Trails Thread.
07:44pm 26/04/09 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
1384 posts
I, for one, welcome our swine flu overlords.
08:19pm 26/04/09 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
12120 posts
IT'S BEGINNING. STOCKPILE FOOD AND AMMO.
08:28pm 26/04/09 Permalink
Sipawhore
Brisbane, Queensland
55 posts
all those hours in l4d was worth it, gonna grab 3 of the most trusted friends and pew pew my way into a heli.
09:48pm 26/04/09 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1127 posts
A real bio-terror attack would have simultaneous points of origin across the US, starting in major population centres like NYC, LA, Dallas and obviously DC, and possibly internationally in London, Paris etc.
Exactly. That's how the bad guys in 24 planned it! Maybe the real world's bauer killed everyone except the one dude in mexico.
09:51pm 26/04/09 Permalink
Fish
Brisbane, Queensland
2702 posts
reminds me of the the avian flu... young healthy people were the ones dying... dammit, time for me to get old and unhealthy.
10:43pm 26/04/09 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
1318 posts
The secret is to coat your lungs with tar.
10:45pm 26/04/09 Permalink
Insom
Brisbane, Queensland
2914 posts
everyone will be dead from aids before this gets anywhere
11:08pm 26/04/09 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
2632 posts
Exactly. That's how the bad guys in 24 planned it! Maybe the real world's bauer killed everyone except the one dude in mexico.

Hah I don't watch 24! Maybe I should start writing teh TV scripts :)
10:49am 27/04/09 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
5533 posts
1. have you ever been to mexico? you can buy hard core antibiotics over the counter without perscription.. and they all sleep with pigs.. it doesnt suprise me that this started there...

2. all those hours playing l4d are gonna start paying off when the swine flu apocolypse comes

PILLS HERE
02:01pm 27/04/09 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
6012 posts
Dont force me to make a Chem-Trails Thread.

No ones forcing you to make any threads actually....
02:16pm 27/04/09 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
16253 posts
Wow I just googled chem trails and it is about as dopey as all your other retarded threads.
02:20pm 27/04/09 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
4989 posts
I have leet immunity, I'm right.

Haven't had a cold for probably 15 years and have never had any type of flu.
02:28pm 27/04/09 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
9242 posts
Strong immune system means you go die when the pigbird flu attacks (maybe) Its actually a pretty interesting 'possible' explanation for why these types of influenza kill so many young healthy people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_storm
It is believed that cytokine storms were responsible for many of the deaths during the 1918 influenza pandemic, which killed a disproportionate number of young adults.[1] In this case, a healthy immune system may have been a liability rather than an asset. Preliminary research results from Hong Kong also indicated this as the probable reason for many deaths during the SARS epidemic in 2003.[citation needed] Human deaths from the bird flu H5N1 usually involve cytokine storms as well.[citation needed] Recent reports of high mortality among healthy young adults in the 2009 swine flu outbreak point to cytokine storms as being responsible for these deaths.[4]

last edited by qmass at 14:50:18 27/Apr/09
02:41pm 27/04/09 Permalink
partyhat
Brisbane, Queensland
1186 posts
just recvd this at work.

Dear colleagues

You may have read recent media reports about human cases of swine influenza in the United States of America and outbreaks of severe respiratory illness in Mexico.

These overseas outbreaks are being carefully monitoring by Queensland Health and the Department of Health and Ageing and I wanted to keep you all informed about the current situation and actions being taken.

Current situation

Over the weekend we were notified of two suspected cases in Queensland, both of which have been tested and cleared of swine flu. Both had been travelling in the region where cases have been reported.

Queensland Health, through the Department of Health and Ageing, is actively monitoring the situation and will be ready to escalate the level of response if and when required. Australia has measures in place and the expertise to deal with an emergency if the situation escalates to Australia. However, there has been no cases identified in Australia at this stage.

Although it is clear that these overseas outbreaks are caused by a new virus, it is
not clear as yet that these outbreaks suggest the emergence of a pandemic. The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared that this situation represents a public health emergency of international concern. It has not, however, changed the pandemic phases to a higher level of alert.

I am advising anyone who has been in Mexico or the USA recently and has become ill within seven days of leaving, to consult their GP or a hospital emergency department, particularly if they have any flu-like symptoms. General information can also be obtained by calling 13 Health ( 13 43 25 84).

Current information suggests that the readily available antiviral drugs (Tamiflu and Relenza) are useful against these swine influenza viruses.

Actions to-date include:

The Australian Health Protection Committee (AHPC), which includes the Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing Chief Health Officer and all other state and territory chief health officers, are meeting at least daily to discuss the situation and determine the public health response.

Information has been provided to public and private emergency departments, the Queensland Ambulance Service, private laboratories and General Practitioners, to give them factual information on the outbreaks and to alert them to the known characteristics and risk factors for this disease.

Travel advice will be available on the Department of Foreign Affairs Smart Traveler web site http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/

As Chief Health Officer, I encourage all staff to take the necessary preventative steps to protect themselves against the flu.

Anyone with flu symptoms should stay at home until they are better; cover their nose and mouth when they cough or sneeze with a tissue and dispose of it; wash their hands with soap and water after coughing, sneezing or blowing their nose, and before touching other people or objects that others might touch.

Further information about swine flu can be found on the World Health Organisation web site at http://www.who.int/en/

02:55pm 27/04/09 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
9598 posts
you might actually be superman chub. you should check into it
03:24pm 27/04/09 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
2635 posts
I have leet immunity, I'm right.

Haven't had a cold for probably 15 years and have never had any type of flu.

A very aggressive immune system isn't necessarily the best thing in the world to have.

Auto-immune disease are almost universally the suck.
03:27pm 27/04/09 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
12128 posts
I suggest less talk about the virus and more talk about what are the best static and mobile defensive structures.

THIS THING IS ALREADY HAPPENING. Do you remember what England looked like 28 days after its last outbreak? We are on like day 5 now. DON'T BE COMPLACENT.
03:30pm 27/04/09 Permalink
Opec
Brisbane, Queensland
5703 posts

Is this a Terrorist attack ?

Yes it is. But rest assured, Jack Bauer is on to it.
04:18pm 27/04/09 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
4498 posts
05:26pm 27/04/09 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
1388 posts
you might actually be superman chub. you should check into it

Please report on how this image makes you feel.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/4947/558pxelectronshell036kr.png
05:38pm 27/04/09 Permalink
FraktuRe
Gold Coast, Queensland
807 posts
It makes me feel like stabbing you in the face.
05:51pm 27/04/09 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
848 posts
07:43pm 27/04/09 Permalink
typo
Other International
6164 posts
11:07pm 27/04/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
26673 posts
So apparently QLD has the most reported cases and Bligh has activated our Pandemic plan. I can only find this document which is for avian flu but I guess it's mostly the same.

I'd say we're only at early stages of the plan... anyone got any more info? I can't find out much more detail other than the useful f*****g media whining about it (front page of Courier billboard is like SAVE YOURSELF FROM KILLER FLU today, losers)

edit: a quick glance at the PDF is a little bit disappointing; I was hoping it would be like "At Stage 3, the Army will be deployed in biochemical warfare suits and anyone coughing on the street will be taken to a detainment camp in the desert."
02:14pm 28/04/09 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
4542 posts
Oh man, and here I was spending my $900 on a holiday. Why didn't someone tell me earlier to spend it on an underground bunker with baked beans and space food.
02:21pm 28/04/09 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
847 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: no conspiracy theories please
02:29pm 28/04/09 Permalink
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
13786 posts
Criminal investigators from the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Division
02:36pm 28/04/09 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
3585 posts
Criminal investigators from the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Division unit...

Oh snap, you just gave Jerry Bruckheimer another TV series to produce, as if NCIS wasn't enough :(
02:47pm 28/04/09 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
2637 posts
Hahahahahahaha prisonplanet.com and whatreallyhappened.com

You're a loon FM.
02:48pm 28/04/09 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
4277 posts
gotta love articles that end with 'i leave it to you to figure out why' ... ie: if you're a nutjob with a predisposition to believing whatever guff you read if it's a bit contravertial & conspiracy sounding, then you'll side with us nutjobs & believe our crap! if you aren't that sort of person then you'll just dismiss it as a hoax.
03:05pm 28/04/09 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
1536 posts
03:08pm 28/04/09 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
3586 posts
You know, this might be the most frowned on people have been of pigs since the 1992 LA riots.
04:40pm 28/04/09 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
12133 posts
The Bay of Pigs invasion was pretty horrible too.
04:44pm 28/04/09 Permalink
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Brisbane, Queensland
1537 posts
04:47pm 28/04/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
26676 posts
05:52pm 28/04/09 Permalink
Reverend
Gold Coast, Queensland
1323 posts
I work for a hospital, and we have had deliveries this week of products related to pandemic containment.
05:56pm 28/04/09 Permalink
Denominator
Brisbane, Queensland
649 posts
that quick??? then the gov knew it was coming
06:32pm 28/04/09 Permalink
Vell
Brisbane, Queensland
17 posts
:)
Australia should be fine. What starts in Mexico, stays in Mexico.
06:36pm 28/04/09 Permalink
Reverend
Gold Coast, Queensland
1324 posts
Pandemic stock has been held at most hospital supply departments for the last 5 years.
06:37pm 28/04/09 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
782 posts
Hahaha love that small comic typo. I bet it was inspired by the pandemic flash game.
10:08pm 28/04/09 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
1113 posts
a predisposition to believing whatever guff you read

yeah, i hate it when i forget to not do this... even when im not reading. especially when my friend tells me shes now a lesbian on the first of april.
10:27pm 28/04/09 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
503 posts
Kinda sucks, im going to california in 5 weeks :S
10:31pm 28/04/09 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
3533 posts
We'll by looks of it, it's now in australia.. 31 people in qld are showing symptons, every state and territory have people showing the symptons.
10:44pm 28/04/09 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
7667 posts
10:48pm 28/04/09 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
3534 posts
Vell, you really have no clue do..Just because something starts somewhere doesn't mean it'll only happen there..
10:59pm 28/04/09 Permalink
typo
Other International
6168 posts
Hahaha love that small comic typo. I bet it was inspired by the pandemic flash game.

F*****g Madagascar :(
11:15pm 28/04/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
26679 posts
hahahaahah ravn0s

Also WHO update #4 is up:
28 April 2009--The situation continues to evolve rapidly. As of 19:15 GMT, 28 April 2009, seven countries have officially reported cases of swine influenza A/H1N1 infection. The United States Government has reported 64 laboratory confirmed human cases, with no deaths. Mexico has reported 26 confirmed human cases of infection including seven deaths.

The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Canada (6), New Zealand (3), the United Kingdom (2), Israel (2) and Spain (2).

Further information on the situation will be available on the WHO website on a regular basis.

WHO advises no restriction of regular travel or closure of borders. It is considered prudent for people who are ill to delay international travel and for people developing symptoms following international travel to seek medical attention, in line with guidance from national authorities.

There is also no risk of infection from this virus from consumption of well-cooked pork and pork products. Individuals are advised to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water on a regular basis and should seek medical attention if they develop any symptoms of influenza-like illness.
Obviously people are no doubt going "omg pork will give me swine flu", I hope this leads to a general drop in the worldwide price of bacon so I can stock the f*** up!
09:31am 29/04/09 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
9633 posts
From ABC News 111 flu cases are being checked in Australia, a third of those are from QLD :(

I wonder how many people will get flu like symptoms from a placebo affect from reading a lot about the flu?
09:43am 29/04/09 Permalink
boba
Cainer
Brisbane, Queensland
3359 posts
I have the swine flu and brought it to work today
09:47am 29/04/09 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
4970 posts
I feel like I'm getting the flu, or am I?
09:47am 29/04/09 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
4543 posts
From the highly reliable Sunrise program this morning, some guy mentioned that the death rate from the normal flu in the US runs in the thousands every year. Here is what I could dig up from the CDC;

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyarchives2007-2008/07-08summary.htm

During September 30, 2007 – May 17, 2008, World Health Organization (WHO) and National Respiratory and Enteric Virus Surveillance System (NREVSS) collaborating laboratories in the United States tested 225,329 specimens for influenza viruses; 39,827 (18%) were positive.

During the 2007--08 influenza season, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) exceeded the epidemic threshold†† for 8 consecutive weeks in the 122 Cities Mortality Reporting System during the weeks ending January 12--May 17, 2008 (weeks 9--16). The percentage of P&I deaths peaked at 9.1% during the week ending March 15, 2008 (week 11).

So that's about 3624 people that died. I'm no doctor but that seems worse than the 0 reported deaths in the US from Swine Flu.
10:01am 29/04/09 Permalink
Martz
Brisbane, Queensland
1958 posts
So that's about 3624 people that died. I'm no doctor but that seems worse than the 0 reported deaths in the US from Swine Flu.

maybe the worst has still yet to come.. My wife had a little boy almost 2 months ago and she teaches the piano to kids every second day.. This contact with kids is making me nervous.. I realise the chances of my boy contracting it is extremely slim, but I can't help worrying.. Just stay away from everyone that has just arrived from overseas lol..

Worse thing is that it's getting colder and more and more people will be getting flu like symptoms that is probably nothing more than your average flu but f***...
10:09am 29/04/09 Permalink
Vorador
Brisbane, Queensland
1345 posts
10:26am 29/04/09 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
4280 posts
From the highly reliable Sunrise program this morning, some guy mentioned that the death rate from the normal flu in the US runs in the thousands every year.

the same with the asian avian flu media scare... the actual annual number of fatalities attributed to avain flu was pretty much the same as the number of fatalities from any year from the flu. yet people in singapore wouldn't even go outside unless they had masks on such was thier fear of the media driven pandemic.
11:16am 29/04/09 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
504 posts
It must be true, the prime minister of the state of queensland said it according to news.com.AU

http://img.skitch.com/20090429-1pb2spfgsr34qjuchfwirya1ei.jpg

I also have to applaud people using google maps for plotting disaster zones / terrorism / wars and leaving in the "Get directions to here"

last edited by simul at 11:38:47 29/Apr/09
11:37am 29/04/09 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1135 posts
I also have to applaud people using google maps for plotting disaster zones / terrorism / wars and leaving in the "Get directions to here"
ROFL. That's gold.

You'd think that From Here link would be getting hammered.
11:53am 29/04/09 Permalink
Twinsen
Gold Coast, Queensland
294 posts
lol On the Gold Coast my gf said that they had a 'guest speaker' come around to their class and say if you have flu like symptoms that they want you to stay home. hahahah
01:56pm 29/04/09 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
12146 posts
now all those little s**** will be off school, and they will have a valid excuse!
01:57pm 29/04/09 Permalink
Gratuitously Provocative
Brisbane, Queensland
1479 posts
We'll by looks of it, it's now in australia.. 31 people in qld are showing symptons, every state and territory have people showing the symptons.

You mean the flu?
02:18pm 29/04/09 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
6017 posts
Dude at works missus got sent home from her work cause she had been too NZ at the right time
Has been required to take 2 (fully paid) weeks off, all testing paid for by Company...

Sonofab**** :/

/cue sneezing fit
08:54pm 29/04/09 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
5543 posts
i'm heading to the UK on friday and i feel like i'm getting a lil sick.. they said they are going to put up the facial heat scanner.. i think i'm f***ed
09:02pm 29/04/09 Permalink
BillyHardball
Brisbane, Queensland
8980 posts
SO I heard on JJJ this morning that WHO have raised the "whatever" alarm to level 5, telling countries to prepare to implement the full scale pandemic interventions. But, to get to level 5, it just means there has been "human to human contact in two countries"... I'm not going to panic about a pandemic until I have to remove the head or destroy the brain of friends and loved ones. Hell, even then I won't panic.
09:00am 30/04/09 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
1047 posts
Time to get some hardcore L4D practice in, seems like we are gonna need it. Seeming as im not female/OLD/Black, im gonna need one each of those type of people to team up with me when the s*** goes down, who wants in?
09:14am 30/04/09 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
5009 posts
I'll cover myself in black paint just to join your crew Viper.
09:20am 30/04/09 Permalink
Matt
Brisbane, Queensland
892 posts
I don't think we should be worrying until the level is at blackwatch plaid
09:32am 30/04/09 Permalink
Twinsen
Gold Coast, Queensland
295 posts
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/6663/3585.jpg

*Edit Sorry fixed image.

last edited by Twinsen at 09:59:58 30/Apr/09
09:34am 30/04/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
26690 posts
SO I heard on JJJ this morning that WHO have raised the "whatever" alarm to level 5, telling countries to prepare to implement the full scale pandemic interventions. But, to get to level 5, it just means there has been "human to human contact in two countries"... I'm not going to panic about a pandemic until I have to remove the head or destroy the brain of friends and loved ones. Hell, even then I won't panic.
Yep, it's on the WHO Website (subscribe to the RSS feed).

While I wouldn't say now is the time to panic, Kent, it's worth keeping it in your mind. Some choice quotes:
Based on assessment of all available information, and following several expert consultations, I have decided to raise the current level of influenza pandemic alert from phase 4 to phase 5.
For the first time in history, we can track the evolution of a pandemic in real-time.
All countries should immediately activate their pandemic preparedness plans. Countries should remain on high alert for unusual outbreaks of influenza-like illness and severe pneumonia.

At this stage, effective and essential measures include heightened surveillance, early detection and treatment of cases, and infection control in all health facilities.
The biggest question, right now, is this: how severe will the pandemic be, especially now at the start?

It is possible that the full clinical spectrum of this disease goes from mild illness to severe disease. We need to continue to monitor the evolution of the situation to get the specific information and data we need to answer this question.
09:37am 30/04/09 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
4552 posts
All countries should immediately activate their pandemic preparedness plans. Countries should remain on high alert for unusual outbreaks of influenza-like illness and severe pneumonia.

Hopefully nothing CRAZY happens like half the world going into winter!
09:44am 30/04/09 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1139 posts
...like half the world going into winter!
WHAT!? SAY IT ISN'T SO!
10:05am 30/04/09 Permalink
stinky
Brisbane, Queensland
3111 posts
definate cases of swine flu are less than an hours drive from here, there's a few suspect cases that have shut schools down locally too. People are going nuts about it, I saw a lady at the supermarket last night wearing a breathing-mask.

I had a bacon breakfast taco this morning served to me by a mexican. But I haven't got sick yet :(
11:15am 30/04/09 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
9687 posts
you deserve to get sick for eating a 'bacon taco' for breakfast, regardless of what flu's are going around
11:17am 30/04/09 Permalink
stinky
Brisbane, Queensland
3112 posts
a breakfast taco is the same idea as a mcmuffin, except it's wrapped in a soft tortilla. Usually topped with some pretty potent chilli sauce/salsa.
12:19pm 30/04/09 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
854 posts
Confirmed Swine Flu cases in Australia = 0
Media reported unconfirmed cases = 18 000 000
12:28pm 30/04/09 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
9637 posts

definate cases of swine flu are less than an hours drive from here

Where did you get that info from?
12:28pm 30/04/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
26699 posts
stinky is in texas, probably that far away from the mexican border
12:47pm 30/04/09 Permalink
funky
Brisbane, Queensland
439 posts
i think he is in the states, very possibly mexico is only an hour away...

also - i had allergies yesterday and a few rapid fire sneezes were more than enough to make sure i received death glares for having the temerity to venture into the city, when it was so obvious i had death flu. people get afraid so easily.
12:54pm 30/04/09 Permalink
FraktuRe
Gold Coast, Queensland
820 posts
saw 2 Asians walking around with masks on yesterday. F*****s.
12:56pm 30/04/09 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
9638 posts
O. Well then... UPDATE YOUR LOCATION!

:D
12:57pm 30/04/09 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
856 posts
02:11pm 30/04/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
26705 posts
CDC have a new swine flu FAQ:
http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/swineflu_you.htm
02:15pm 30/04/09 Permalink
BillyHardball
Brisbane, Queensland
8981 posts
But we all know this isn't a new disease right? It's been around for ages.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=swine+flu&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
03:29pm 30/04/09 Permalink
Red
Sydney, New South Wales
261 posts
03:36pm 30/04/09 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
24884 posts
haha
03:41pm 30/04/09 Permalink
BillyHardball
Brisbane, Queensland
8982 posts
Haha double lols for the putting sunnies on over the sunnies.
03:55pm 30/04/09 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
3381 posts
BillyHardball - The original is from here:
http://www.biggercheese.com/index.php?comic=701
04:41pm 30/04/09 Permalink
Reverend
Gold Coast, Queensland
1328 posts

Captain tripps is here ......Time for everyone to read " The Stand " by stephen King.
05:20pm 30/04/09 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
858 posts
I just tried to ring the Government's swine info hotline, but all I got was crackling !
03:13pm 01/05/09 Permalink
d0mino
Brisbane, Queensland
4101 posts
faceman its no time to joke in the face of global pandemic engineered by the new world order to brainwash us into forfeiting our civil liberties for global enslavement.
03:23pm 01/05/09 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
16429 posts
I phoned the Swine Flu hotline to get advice, but it was a terrible connection...all I got was crackling.
05:53pm 03/05/09 Permalink
MatchFixer
Brisbane, Queensland
775 posts
umm.... isn't that the same joke as Faceman's?

If so you lose, if not.. you still lose.
06:05pm 03/05/09 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
863 posts
07:45pm 03/05/09 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
16430 posts
LOL

I didn't even see Facemans post there. Apologies.
08:47pm 03/05/09 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
6022 posts
^ You don't deserve your PC

Give it to ME!

:P
09:33pm 03/05/09 Permalink
kos
Melbourne, Victoria
1263 posts
I've had a pretty violent cough for the last week and a half or so, must say it's much more entertaining with all the swine flu scaremongering going on at the moment.
09:40pm 03/05/09 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1149 posts
You're toast. Gimme your ruddbux.
10:32pm 03/05/09 Permalink
Triamks
Brisbane, Queensland
2075 posts
Vell, you really have no clue do..Just because something starts somewhere doesn't mean it'll only happen there..

Damo collect your sarcasm tags from here.

'Nuff said.
11:00pm 03/05/09 Permalink
Syco
Brisbane, Queensland
90 posts
I just tried to ring the Government's swine info hotline, but all I got was crackling !

Are you sure you didn't use a HAM radio?

Oh haw haw haw haw.
01:42am 04/05/09 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
3598 posts
faceman its no time to joke in the face of global pandemic engineered by the new world order to brainwash us into forfeiting our civil liberties for global enslavement.

If Dave Hughes can joke about it on Nova just now, we can joke about it on QGL. I think we've got less chance of offending the masses here.
09:06am 04/05/09 Permalink
d0mino
Brisbane, Queensland
4103 posts
^ thats so raven,
11:12am 04/05/09 Permalink
MatchFixer
Brisbane, Queensland
780 posts
01:54pm 05/05/09 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
5548 posts
i went to london on the w/e and there was some fat yank eating big macs as fast as she could fit them into her face and at the same time had a full face mask on to protect from pig flu..

being an a****** and all i couldnt help but throw in a few coughs as i walked past when she had her mask down
03:38pm 05/05/09 Permalink
Gabby
Sydney, New South Wales
79 posts
pig zombies.
05:23pm 05/05/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
26726 posts
A graph I just put together from data released by WHO since they started tracking it.

http://trog.qgl.org/up/swine-flu-graph.jpg

Obviously still trending upwards, but it's not exactly an exponential curve, so I'm not too scared of it just yet, though it'll be interesting to see how many cases roll in over the next few days.. I'll try and keep it updated.
11:01am 06/05/09 Permalink
BillyHardball
Brisbane, Queensland
8987 posts
Are they confirmed cases or just reported cases?
11:09am 06/05/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
26727 posts
They are "laboratory confirmed cases"
11:12am 06/05/09 Permalink
Hashy
174 posts
How is that anything but an exponential growth in cases?
12:07pm 06/05/09 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
12197 posts
looks pretty exponential to me.
12:11pm 06/05/09 Permalink
DirtyApe
Brisbane, Queensland
615 posts
People who get caught up in the hype and bulls*** of this crap need a f*****g slapping. When are people going to wake up to fear campaigns? There is no great epidemic just a bunch of people with the f*****g sniffles. When a million people are dead then we will call it a problem.
12:15pm 06/05/09 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
12198 posts
you would only consider it a problem when a million people die? talk about head in the sand.
12:21pm 06/05/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
26731 posts
I guess I was looking at the numbers which increase pretty linearly (mostly), though there's not realllly enough data points to make a reasonable extrapolation. The graph I did is squished a bit horizontally so it makes it look more exponential, but there's really only 2 big increases - today (~400 new cases) and on the 1st (~300 new cases) - all the rest were about the same.

If tomorrow is 800 new cases then we're in trouble!@#
12:33pm 06/05/09 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
1882 posts
Why would you concider it a major problem when there are far more deadly and pressing matters that should not have attention diverted away from them for a scare campaign?
12:37pm 06/05/09 Permalink
BillyHardball
Brisbane, Queensland
8988 posts
I guess I was looking at the numbers which increase pretty linearly (mostly), though there's not realllly enough data points to make a reasonable extrapolation. The graph I did is squished a bit horizontally so it makes it look more exponential, but there's really only 2 big increases - today (~400 new cases) and on the 1st (~300 new cases) - all the rest were about the same.

If tomorrow is 800 new cases then we're in trouble!@#

Keep in mind that the growth in numbers represents newly diagnosed cases, which is not the same as the number of people who have recently been infected. That is, there could have been 1500 unidentified cases two weeks ago, and therefore the "growth" merely repesents diagnoses, not spreading. On the other hand, you have to assume there are a certain number of undiagnosed cases which are not represented in the graph. So, what might be informative is to know the chronology of infection.
01:50pm 06/05/09 Permalink
DirtyApe
Brisbane, Queensland
616 posts
you would only consider it a problem when a million people die? talk about head in the sand.

How is it having your head in the sand? This world is full of so many people pushing their own agendas it is hard to tell what is real. Worry about what has happened not what could. If you want to panic about everything that comes along go for it.
01:55pm 06/05/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
26732 posts
How is it having your head in the sand? This world is full of so many people pushing their own agendas it is hard to tell what is real. Worry about what has happened not what could. If you want to panic about everything that comes along go for it.
You don't need to panic about swineflu, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't also do common sense things like wash your hands a little more carefully. Too many people don't do this ANYWAY, sadly - if a bit of swine flu scare encourages people to start washing their hands when they've hit the loo, then that's not too bad, I reckon
02:12pm 06/05/09 Permalink
DirtyApe
Brisbane, Queensland
617 posts
Trog I agree, be aware but not worried. How many times in the last 10 years have you heard the sky is falling? How anyone cannot be cynical towards this is beyond me. If there are millions of deaths from this I will be surprised. Medical science has taken all the fun out of a pandemic.
02:19pm 06/05/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
26735 posts
Trog I agree, be aware but not worried. How many times in the last 10 years have you heard the sky is falling? How anyone cannot be cynical towards this is beyond me. If there are millions of deaths from this I will be surprised. Medical science has taken all the fun out of a pandemic.
oh, yeh, for sure - the whole point of my graph was to show there's really nothing to worry about - compare growth in new cases to growth in deaths, there's almost no correlation (well, yet)
02:21pm 06/05/09 Permalink
sparrow
Brisbane, Queensland
344 posts
Ok, cool graph Trog, but just the graph isn't over a long enough period of time to say anything - the newly diagnosed cases haven't been around long enough to present an increased trend in the deaths yet. Give it another week of no significant increases in deaths (time delay behind the new cases increase) and it will say more.

Also, I don't actually think this will happen, I'm just saying..
02:44pm 06/05/09 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
9251 posts
The response of groups like the WHO and local authorities should be over-reactionary because of the potential for a virus to devistate. The media making people freak out is a seperate issue and I hope thats all people like dirtyape are talking about with their 'wait and see' mentality...

Science hasnt really taken the fun out of pandemics. We can't even innoculate for flu we havnt previously seen.... tamiflu is an antiviral not a vaccine and limit's the reproduction of the virus by inhibiting a protein involved in its life-cycle. If a new pandemic eg swine flu is resistant (no idea if it is) then that anti-viral is rendered useless.

What makes things like avian flu scary as f*** is how our immune system works. Its been a year or two since Ive thought about this but basically, our system works by recognising an invader from a set library which we are given at birth. If our library doesn't contain the id for a virus, like avian flu, (no idea about the swine since its part human influenza) there is no immune response. Even if we have the virus in our library, if you have never come into contact with it before, your body has to start producing antibodies before anything really happens. (vaccination starts that process so that your immune response is faster/stronger but you still get infected)

The point is, once the next uber-virus has spread and a million people start to die, it is already too late to do s*** about it. The only way to stop a pandemic is to control the spread, not to keep people alive once they have it.
08:01pm 06/05/09 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
3388 posts
08:13pm 06/05/09 Permalink
nF
Forum Hero
Wynnum, Queensland
15915 posts

Its exponential because of the nature of how its tested. In reality it would be reasonable straight line though steeper than the deaths (obviously). If you could graph negatives against the positives you'd see what i mean, the plot would probably be exponential as well.
08:23pm 06/05/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
26767 posts
09:28am 08/05/09 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:28am 08/05/09 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.