Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Recommend me movies
sparrow
Brisbane, Queensland
260 posts
So I am currently very out of the new/recent movies loop - does anyone have some suggestions for good/entertaining movies?
I like pretty much everything except horro/thriller, and not really into anything overly art house. I tend to watch a LOT of crap movies, so any suggestions are welcome. What have I missed out on?
09:13am 15/03/09 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:13am 15/03/09 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
1092 posts
the watchmen, slumdog millionaire, alien quadrilogy, 2nd x files movie
09:25am 15/03/09 Permalink
Trin
Brisbane, Queensland
2653 posts

i liked gran turino
09:47am 15/03/09 Permalink
Spencer
Brisbane, Queensland
47 posts
10:49am 15/03/09 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
3479 posts
I watched Slumdog millionaire yesterday, can't see why it won any oscars. But you get that.
11:04am 15/03/09 Permalink
épic™
Brisbane, Queensland
2153 posts
recent movies i've enjoyed -

Burn After Reading
changeling
forgetting.sarah.marshall
Ghost.Town[2008]
Pineapple.Express[2008]
Revolutionary Road
taken
Vicky Cristina Barcelona
benjamin button
watchmen
11:04am 15/03/09 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
16282 posts
Good stuff I've watched in the last few days...

- Funny Games (2007)
- The Square
- The Black Balloon
- Pans Labyrinth
- Watchmen
11:23am 15/03/09 Permalink
Kat
10611 posts
Pans Labyrinth is awesome
I can't wait to see him do The Hobbit.
11:29am 15/03/09 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
8668 posts
Taken
11:37am 15/03/09 Permalink
crazymorton
Gladstone, Queensland
660 posts
Valkyrie
12:01pm 15/03/09 Permalink
Spencer
Brisbane, Queensland
50 posts
12:07pm 15/03/09 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
9518 posts
Love The Beast
12:10pm 15/03/09 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1054 posts
Taken
+99
12:21pm 15/03/09 Permalink
Freewheelin
Brisbane, Queensland
1422 posts
Pans Labyrinth is awesome

agree

I can't wait to see him do The Hobbit.

ooh wut?

interesting
12:36pm 15/03/09 Permalink
Poogay
Brisbane, Queensland
396 posts
Taken
Pineapple Express
Rise Of The Foot Soldier
Apocalypto
12:37pm 15/03/09 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
4111 posts
Just my 2 cents

* Slumdog Millionaire is a good film but I agree that it's not worthy of all the hype and awards and stuff. It's a good film with a solid story and acting.

* Taken. This movie is very flawed and has plot holes the size of football fields but in the action department it really delivers as it is relentless wall to wall action.

* Alien and Aliens were the best movies in the Quadrilogy the other 2 were ... bad.

* Burn After Reading. Omg so bitterly dissappointed in this movie. It's not that funny or that interesting. This is coming from a big Coen Bros fan.

* Pans Labyrinth is great film ... very weird dark etc. Its an arthouse fairytale for adults. My only complaint is that the blood and gore is a bit over the top in some scenes.

* The Bank Job. Just a good little bank heist movie based on real events.

* There will be Blood. Very Citizen Kane-ish period film about the beginning of oil in America. Very well made movie.

* In Bruges. Not a bad movie about some hitmen on holiday in Beligium.

* American Gangster. Good Rusty and Denzel movie.

* Watchmen. Good! Just dont expect it to be like X-men because its not.

last edited by sLaps_Forehead at 13:00:04 15/Mar/09
12:53pm 15/03/09 Permalink
ama
Brisbane, Queensland
47 posts
requiem for a dream
01:18pm 15/03/09 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
16284 posts
Burn After Reading. Omg so bitterly dissappointed in this movie. It's not that funny or that interesting. This is coming from a big Coen Bros fan

I agree. I normally love their stuff but I found this completely boring. Ended up switching it off after the scene with Brad Pitt being caught in the closet so I never saw how it ended.
American Gangster. Good Rusty and Denzel movie

Didn't really get in to this either. It was a movie that's been done thousands of times before and I was wondering why it was getting so much praise. Maybe it's just me. Although it was far more entertaining than Burn After Reading.
01:20pm 15/03/09 Permalink
Spock
Brisbane, Queensland
1093 posts
Alien and Aliens were the best movies in the Quadrilogy the other 2 were ... bad.

yeah i know, but i still found them entertaining

also rock 'n' rolla was good
11:29am 16/03/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
26342 posts
Nah... it wasn't. I found it so boring I had to force myself to finish it (mostly because everyone at work was talking about hilarious it was; I made it through from front to back without even cracking a smile). It was such a far cry from Lock Stock etc that I couldn't believe it was from the same guy. It just fell like a hopeless mishmash of stories instead of the cool slowly-merging storylines from the previous movies. Even Jeremy Piven couldn't save it (in fact I found him and his "story" totally distracting, utterly pointless and completely uninteresting).
11:35am 16/03/09 Permalink
tequila
Sydney, New South Wales
1665 posts
sex drive
body of lies
enron. the smartest guys in the room (doco)

watched the enron one last night, scary how corrupt it all was - and for how long it went on
11:40am 16/03/09 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
4178 posts
i got a few movies to recommend that people don't see :P i grabbed a few movies from a mate last week & watched them over the weekend.. they were all crap!

The Happening (2008) - plants have had enough & decide to rid the world of people by releasing an airborne chemical that makes people suicide. about 50% of the movie is a closeup still of the lead actress's face with a pouty sad expression. the rest is people runnig around the countryside avoiding areas where they see dead bodies coz the 'air might be bad there'. retarded.

The Invasion (2007) - the space shuttle crash lands with an alien virus that's kinda like the thing, spreads by fluid transfer... but without any horror & you have to go to sleep for it to take over. nicole kidman has perky boobs. the end.

The Kingdom (2007) - cliche america vs the middle east vengeance movie. i din't see the end coz i went to sleep but i assume the yanks kicked cliche butt & went home heroes :/

The Mutant Chronicles (2008) - in the future during a war between 2 of the 4 companies that own the world, an ancient alien evil is awoken! ;p it turns dead soldiers into stabby borg-like mutants & to stop it a priest leads a small group of soldiers into the middle of the evil pit so they can put a special key (which is just lying around) into the machine that makes the mutants. this key makes the machine piss off to some other planet to turn it's inhabitants into mutants! better them than us amirite!? ridiculous.

Outpost (2008) - a mad scientist & some mercenaries find hitler's occult bunker & it's chockers with undead nazi ghosts that despite being totally indestructable never took over the world coz they prefer to hang out ... @ the outpost. i only watched it coz the actor that plays pullo in rome was the ehad of the mercs. i didn't see the end but there was a lot of shooting which momentarily woke me up.

:D
11:56am 16/03/09 Permalink
paradigm
Brisbane, Queensland
55 posts
+ 1 for sex drive
11:58am 16/03/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
26344 posts
Outpost (2008) - a mad scientist & some mercenaries find hitler's occult bunker & it's chockers with undead nazi ghosts that despite being totally indestructable never took over the world coz they prefer to hang out ... @ the outpost. i only watched it coz the actor that plays pullo in rome was the ehad of the mercs. i didn't see the end but there was a lot of shooting which momentarily woke me up.

:D
Looks awesome:

BillyH, let's find it at the video store, might be too new tho
12:04pm 16/03/09 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
4179 posts
i read the imdb plot for all of the above movies before i watched them... they all sounded like they could of had some promise... they all failed :P

i also re-watched johhny mnemonic... which i remember not liking when i first saw it... but by comparison to the s***** movies i'd just watched it seemed like an epic classic! ;p gotta love henry rollins as spider ;D

these movies i watched a few weeks back & i'll classify them as OK :-
hell ride (over the top but OK)
a wind called amnesia (animated)
mongol (bit boring but interesting)
12:15pm 16/03/09 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
16287 posts
Outpost was f*****g awesome for a budget movie. Highly recommend it to anyone that like horror action stuff.

Also about RocknRolla. I didn't think it was meant to be a comedy. I didn't laugh at all but I thought it was an alright movie.

EDIT:

LOL. Just watching that Outpost trailer again and that scene where the nazi ghost thingy puts the bayonet in that dudes mouth and you can hear it scraping across his teeth. F*** that would have hurt.

last edited by Reverend Evil™ at 13:04:42 16/Mar/09
01:00pm 16/03/09 Permalink
Kat
10629 posts
Watched Taken the other night. We have had it for ages, but kept putting it off. Very good movie.

Such a shame about Liam's wife dying this morning :( He is such a good actor
12:39pm 19/03/09 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
11669 posts
Taken is a damn awesome movie, and the Audi in it is sex.
12:47pm 19/03/09 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
16297 posts
Forgot about Once. Easily one of the best movies to come out in years.

01:02pm 19/03/09 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
4193 posts
i watched hitman the other night. twas OK with some cool fight scenes.

i watched gabriel last night. twas lame & really predictable.
02:28pm 19/03/09 Permalink
Boxhead
Brisbane, Queensland
11990 posts
Once was a good movie.. shame it ruined the frames forever...
02:30pm 19/03/09 Permalink
darkjedi
Brisbane, Queensland
1628 posts
Uwe Boll's Postal!

It's terrible, but if you're into blatantly offensive movies you might get a laugh. I think it's his best film by far, however given his other efforts that isn't saying much.
03:15pm 19/03/09 Permalink
Merky007
Brisbane, Queensland
270 posts
standout movie in past four years, for me is Brick (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0393109/) essentially, its a 1930's detective story, set in a modern day high school. great character's and story. my favorite line is

"Come at me hash-heads, I've got all 5 senses and i slept last night, which puts me 6 up on the lot of you."

also, There Will be Blood, In the Valley of Elijah, and Gran Torino are all kinds of awesome, very dark and brooding.

last edited by Merky007 at 15:32:41 19/Mar/09
03:31pm 19/03/09 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
11679 posts
Gran Torino was indeed very good.
03:33pm 19/03/09 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
4194 posts
gran torino was a larf coz clint never changed expression or tone of voice throughout the whole movie :D he even sounded like a pissed-off dirty harry when he starts singing at the end of the movie. plus the total lack of political correctness with reference to racial terms was refreshing :P when he gets outta his truck n says 'what the hell are you spooks up to?' i cracked up :D

there will be blood was one of those movies that got over-hyped before i watched it. it was a good movie but i just didnt care about the story or any of the characters... they were all kinda douchebags.
04:13pm 19/03/09 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
16298 posts
There Will Be Blood was awesome. I sorta wish I went to see it at the cinema because it has that epic feel about it.
04:18pm 19/03/09 Permalink
MoGs
Brisbane, Queensland
566 posts
Just to name a few...

Rock n Rolla
Outlander
Role Models
Yes Man

04:23pm 19/03/09 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
5234 posts
Outlander

+1 to that, loved it!
During the reign of the Vikings, Kainan, a man from a far-off world, crash lands on Earth, bringing with him an alien predator known as the Moorwen. Though both man and monster are seeking revenge for violence committed against them, Kainan leads the alliance to kill the Moorwen by fusing his advanced technology with the Viking's Iron Age weaponry

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462465/
05:28pm 19/03/09 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
16303 posts
That Outlander movie sounds awesome. Can't find it anywhere though!

8-(
06:00pm 19/03/09 Permalink
kos
Melbourne, Victoria
1162 posts
Nah... it wasn't. I found it so boring I had to force myself to finish it (mostly because everyone at work was talking about hilarious it was; I made it through from front to back without even cracking a smile). It was such a far cry from Lock Stock etc that I couldn't believe it was from the same guy. It just fell like a hopeless mishmash of stories instead of the cool slowly-merging storylines from the previous movies. Even Jeremy Piven couldn't save it (in fact I found him and his "story" totally distracting, utterly pointless and completely uninteresting).

Seconded, except I couldn't even force myself to finish it.
To be honest I didn't even realise it was supposed to be funny till I read your post trog...
08:40pm 19/03/09 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
11690 posts
Rocknrolla was just another random pommy gansgta movie.
09:14pm 19/03/09 Permalink
MatchFixer
Brisbane, Queensland
570 posts
Watched Transporter 3.. and it was s***.

It was a movie (American Gangster) that's been done thousands of times before
Name one
10:19pm 19/03/09 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
4127 posts
There Will Be Blood was awesome. I sorta wish I went to see it at the cinema because it has that epic feel about it.

Have you seen that Brad Pitt 'Jesse James' movie yet, Rev?

I dont rate it that highly because it is painfully slow and drawn out. But it does have awesome cinematography and acting etc.
01:30am 20/03/09 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
24576 posts
watched rocknrolla last nite, and after trogs lambasting wasnt expecting much;

really enjoyed it, not sure why trog didnt:

i enjoyed it as much as lock,stock, if not more;

great script, stylishly directed, and well acted
07:16am 22/03/09 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
16313 posts
Have you seen that Brad Pitt 'Jesse James' movie yet, Rev?

Not yet. I wanna see it for Garret Dillahunt, the dude who plays Cromartie in Terminator. I reckon he's f*****g awesome.

Oh, if anyone's planing to see Friday The 13th...dont! It's complete ass. I have no idea why the f*** they'd waste money on this seeing as there's absolutely nothing new to this. Only good scene was Jason suspending some chick above a fire while she's inside a sleeping bag. LOL
08:37am 22/03/09 Permalink
Strange Rash
999 posts
Outlander ++

Just watched Quantum of Solace after reading maddox review, and I actually quite enjoyed it.

03:32pm 22/03/09 Permalink
tequila
Sydney, New South Wales
1744 posts
+1 for Brick

I watched that a few times in a row the weekend I got it, awesome movie
03:40pm 22/03/09 Permalink
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
13705 posts
Taken was kinda s*** fyi, dumbest f*****g plot/ending ever

05:48pm 22/03/09 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
4136 posts
^ Thats true but it did have a high smack-down ratio. Thats all the punters really want from an action movie.
07:56pm 22/03/09 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
7572 posts
Can't find it anywhere though!

youre not looking in the right places
08:01pm 22/03/09 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
16314 posts
I ended up finding it

8-)
10:57pm 22/03/09 Permalink
Gratuitously Provocative
Brisbane, Queensland
1466 posts
Some things Ive liked recently:
Then she found me - Helen Hunt, Colin Firth, Matthew Broderick and Bette Midler
The life before her eyes - Uma Thurman, Evan Rachel Wood
Choke - Sam Rockwell, Angelica Houston
Towelhead - Maria Bello, Aaron Eckhart, Toni Colette
The Secret (Si j'étais toi ) - David Duchovny, Lili Taylor, Olivia Thirlby
The Dutchess - Keira Knightley, Ralph Fiennes
The Reader - Kate Winslet, Ralph Feinnes, David Kross

Also on TV shows, We've just discovered Important Things With Demitri Martin. Hilarious!
12:43pm 23/03/09 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
4141 posts

Looks kick-arse. The storyline sounds ridiculous, reminds me of Predator(which is a good thing)
01:08pm 23/03/09 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
4204 posts
on the weekend i watched war (2007) & deception (2008). war was ok if somewhat predictable, a combo of hitman & face off :P~ it has some cool jet li fight scenes but i still believe jet li is 1000x better in chinese made movies! fearless is a good example... that movie rocked!@#!!
deception i found hard to get into, it seemed like a cool mind-f*** type story but i just couldn't get into the characters. mcgregor's character was too nerdy & naive... no one is that stupid imo.

on the plus side i watched a standup comedy dvd with bill bailey called 'part troll' ... it was fkn excellent & i larfed my head off :D great act.
02:33pm 23/03/09 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:33pm 23/03/09 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.