Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Fallout 3 -maybe spoilers-
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
9204 posts
Well, after spending quite a time playing Fallout 3 I'm left somewhat disappointed. Yes, I'm one of those rabid Fallout 1/2 fans.

I'm happy to forgive some of the various glitches, the dodgy animations and lifeless character facial interactions. To me, the graphics don't make or break a game.

The dialog, on the other hand, is terrible. I'm also unhappy with how quickly and easily you can get skills up. I'm not a fan of how they handled the 'scientific' skill. Basically all it does it lets you hack into 'easy' 'average' 'hard' and 'very hard' computers, with no in between. The same for lock picking. The only other time the skill is used is in some dodgy dialog option.
As for personal stats they seem to have much less impact on your 'character' then then Fallout's 1/2.
Take intelligence for instance.
In Fallout 2, if you chose an Intelligence of 1, your dialog options were limited to 'err aaahhh uggg' and so forth. In Fallout 3, no your just as smart as with int of 5 or so. You just miss the odd bit of dialog and a few less skill points.

I like VATS though, it works well. I don't mind the FPS aspect of the game, I'd prefer it to be more character based then your own skill however. I'd also like it to be harder. My character shouldn't be able to take on a Super Mutant or enclave at level 4 and beat them with only minor scratches.

I personally would love to have seen a much better usage of the various skills other then the generic 'repair your equipment', 'pick a lock' and 'hack a computer'.

I do look towards the modding community, especially fellow rabid fans over at No Mutants Allowed to address these issues, which they will as long as a semi-decent mod kit is available for Fallout 3 (given that Oblivion has one, it seems likely).

Personally I don't believe that the game really is worth the 10/10's it has been getting. 8/10, yes. 10/10 No. As a Fallout Game I would rate it at 5/10.

The previous Fallout games were very much about your character and the skills/stats they had. Choosing one set of skills over another (or not) really had a deep impact on the game. In this Fallout, not so much. Around level 10, a large chunk of your skills are able to be at a decent level to do most of the stuff in the game.

Edit:
Also, some mods for Fallout 3 are already available:
Fallout 3 Mods: Round-up
It is updating as mods are released.
I very much recommend MTUI Mod It is basically a UI fix that works is designed for resolution of 1024x768 or up. It makes better use of the screen.

There are other bits'n'pieces there. Such as changing VATS so you take more damage and makes it less God-Like.
Removal of various quest way points, makes it harder and better for some as you have to explore for those quests.

I feel that the rabid fans will very much alter the game to make it more like the previous Fallouts.
06:47pm 07/11/08 Permalink
system
Internet
--
06:47pm 07/11/08 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
10190 posts
Here's a spoiler: this game f***en rocks.
06:57pm 07/11/08 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
9205 posts
Yer it is a good game, but it can be SO MUCH BETTER. Just enhancing the mechanics, adding extra usage of skills and rewriting the dialog would make it even better.
06:59pm 07/11/08 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
9176 posts
Yer it is a good game, but it can be SO MUCH BETTER. Just enhancing the mechanics, adding extra usage of skills and rewriting the dialog would make it even better.
QFT
08:48pm 07/11/08 Permalink
Kimbo
Melbourne, Victoria
342 posts

I have honestly played Fallout 1 and 2.

The FEEL is still there. It still leaves your brain to fill the gaps. It still feels gritty, bizarre and bombed the hell out of a world.

I think Bethesda have done a pretty good job reading the whole Fallout wiki (which was written by fans of the Fallout series) and adapting to the game and I REALLY think this is going to be the -last great- game in today's market of rush-gun-rush shooters. Sure Call of Duty 4 had a great story line and then there will be those people who go "But Bioshock was..." no... Fallout 3 is. It is a non linear world you can run everywhere shoot stuff up; explore; get irradiated; once again come back to whatever town.

The problem is that now we've "gone mainstream" with this whole gaming thing. We've got all this console(maybe even PC)-airhead-halo-3-drives-pimped-out-car-look-at-mah-blingbling-type people and these, are the same people who used to think that gaming as a context was nerdy or geeky. Of course these same people would of never gone and played games unless they looked like the car pretty much.

Sure 'these type of people' might of gone to movies just to watch them and not even soak up the story.

I like gaming cause it tells stories. Stories and immersion are what drives gameplay. Sure the animation in Fallout 3 might not be 'perfect' but thats why you read books (or used to) because your brain likes to fill gaps. In some ways computer gaming is killing off our imaginations and making us all stupider. Idicocracy indeed.

It also reinterates the age old stupid mantra "doesn't matter what you do, people will never be happy." least we be happy we got any Fallout product at all.

In many ways we could throw the ball back in your court and say. "Ok here is an unlimited budget, a world class team of developers... Go and make that legendary product." and once again you'd get the so called hardcore-whatever saying "OMG I HATEZ IT"

In the end, be happy it just is.
01:31am 08/11/08 Permalink
Ross
Brisbane, Queensland
1728 posts
Skip the dialogue, its always going to be boring as s*** in those games until you can actually communicate with your own voice box. If you listen to the dialogue you get so angry you just shoot the person in the face. The super mutant is the staple monster of the game, there isn't meant to be much difficulty too them. And if your taking on one with a missile launcher or gatling laser then they get a bit trickier, especially when there is 10 or 15 of them
08:03am 08/11/08 Permalink
Ross
Brisbane, Queensland
1729 posts
THe thing that pisses me off the most is the maps, the sub levels don't align with the country, its not open a all! everything is split up into very small levels. If you need to get somewhere you can't just run at it you have to f*** around for ever because every street is a dead end or covered by a 4 foot high fence you can't get over.
08:04am 08/11/08 Permalink
Ross
Brisbane, Queensland
1730 posts
Gothic 3 deals with everything in a much better fashion
08:05am 08/11/08 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
3001 posts
I havent played Fallout or Fallout 2, but I have been really enjoying Fallout 3.

I understand what you're saying about the skills, it seems like if you hit level 20 you would come close to maxing out most of them.
11:10am 08/11/08 Permalink
casa
Thimes
Brisbane, Queensland
3104 posts

fallout 3 sucks a s***
i never played fallout 1 or 2, this just firms up why
11:31am 08/11/08 Permalink
typo
Other International
6050 posts
I think everybody who didn't like fallout 3 because they are a true fallout 1/2 fan needs to stop chugging vast quantities of c***.

Liberty is not negotiable!
11:55am 08/11/08 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
9207 posts
I'm not saying that Fallout 3 sucks because it isn't Fallout 1/2. I'm saying that Fallout 3 fails to be the best that it can be.

My issues with Fallout 3 are also general issues I have with most CRPG's they really lack in the RPG department, particularly with cleaver usage of skills and stats. Fallout 1 and 2 did a much better job with having stats that matter and better usage of skills, it also could have done better with skill usage.

An example is the repair skill. We are walking around a wasteland with hovel like settlements scattered around. Surly people would be itching to meet someone that can repair stuff for them at the very least (yes there was the one place in megaton).

EDIT: Also, one of the biggest issues is that so far Bethesda haven't released a modding kit for it like they did with Oblivion and not saying if they will or wont.
Most Fallout fans are happy enough with the game, they just want to be able to 'fix' it to be like the previous Fallout's and alter the experience, perks and skills. They want to also add the necessity of hydration.

Most of the fans aren't saying 'This game sucks!!!!11one" They are saying, 'release a SDK so we can do stuff with it'
Pfft, most of them don't even care that Fallout 3's EULA states that any content made and released in a mod becomes the property of Bethesda.

last edited by Tollaz0r! at 16:18:22 08/Nov/08
04:13pm 08/11/08 Permalink
Ross
Brisbane, Queensland
1731 posts
Really? I would like to see that stand up in court. It's like saying all orange lighters in the world are mine.
04:40pm 08/11/08 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
3002 posts
haha
05:31pm 08/11/08 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
10196 posts
just finished it. great ending. visuals are stunning.

it can only get better if they choose to do another.
06:47pm 08/11/08 Permalink
nF
Forum Hero
Wynnum, Queensland
14910 posts
its better than far cry 2
06:54pm 08/11/08 Permalink
Scorp
Brisbane, Queensland
174 posts
this game has crashed for me over 7 times in the last two hours.... :(
02:44pm 09/11/08 Permalink
Scorp
Brisbane, Queensland
175 posts
does anyone know what the stats for items mean?

I assume

DM= damage

but there are others like VL i think etc that im not sure of?
03:01pm 09/11/08 Permalink
taggs
Brisbane, Queensland
2367 posts
DR = damage reduction
VL = value

i think?
03:05pm 09/11/08 Permalink
Mantra
Crusty old man
Brisbane, Queensland
2249 posts
It's like saying all orange lighters in the world are mine.
Dude, I've got your lighter...
03:06pm 09/11/08 Permalink
Ross
Brisbane, Queensland
1736 posts
Forget it! It didn't hold up in court!
06:40pm 09/11/08 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
3005 posts
The one stat I didnt get immediately was WG, which is weight - there's a maximum weight you can carry.
06:43pm 09/11/08 Permalink
Ross
Brisbane, Queensland
1737 posts
CND as condition took me a while. Knew what it was but didn't put 2 and 2 together for a while
06:47pm 09/11/08 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
3007 posts
Somehow it took me a while to read the screen and press 'Y' to repair weapon too :)
06:53pm 09/11/08 Permalink
Ross
Brisbane, Queensland
1738 posts
You mean 'r'?
08:17pm 09/11/08 Permalink
Nathan
Brisbane, Queensland
3008 posts
My 360 doesnt have an 'r' button :)
03:47pm 10/11/08 Permalink
BeZZaR
Brisbane, Queensland
48 posts
this game has crashed for me over 7 times in the last two hours.... :(

Try turning off the autosave settings, mine was crashing quite a bit up until I turned it off.
04:38pm 10/11/08 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
10204 posts
i got a couple of crashes when alt-tab but otherwise sound as a pound baby.
04:41pm 10/11/08 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:41pm 10/11/08 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.