Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
QUT Results
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
7399 posts
My results are up on qutvirtual
Organic Chem 6
Electron Microscopy 6
Maths 1A 4

Hehe, kinda wish I put a little effort into maths now. I was 1% off from getting a 5, that'll teach me to skip that 1% assement class ... haha
01:38pm 09/07/06 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:38pm 09/07/06 Permalink
Booyah
Brisbane, Queensland
6030 posts
- S

One more semester to go baby.
01:40pm 09/07/06 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
622 posts
2006/1
PSB614 URBAN AND RURAL DESIGN PRINCIPLES 5 71%
PSB644 ADVANCED GEODESY 4 61%
PSB654 TOPICS IN SPATIAL INFORMATION SCIENCE 5 75%

I spent the last 2 days on 614, no work during the semester.
Stoked.

Next is last for me too... hopefully.
01:44pm 09/07/06 Permalink
XandraX
Brisbane, Queensland
765 posts
Ok it says i got a 1...21%, but that cannot be correct. I submitted all assessment. Could it be that they just havent marked it all yet?
01:46pm 09/07/06 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
2966 posts
well i finally finished!!!! no more f*****g uni ever!!!!!!!! wooooooooooooooooooooooootttt!!
01:47pm 09/07/06 Permalink
Tung
Brisbane, Queensland
4052 posts
5, 5 :(

i was hoping for a 6,5 but i missed out by a clean 7 %

gay
01:56pm 09/07/06 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
16366 posts
5's or higher means you spent too much time studying and not enough time having fun
02:04pm 09/07/06 Permalink
russo
Brisbane, Queensland
920 posts
2006/1
ITN761 SEDC SPECIAL TOPIC 1 6 83%
MAB281 MATHEMATICS FOR COMPUTER GRAPHICS 6 79%

IT28 Course GPA: 6

expecting a 6,7 but ah s*** happens. fkn maths.

02:06pm 09/07/06 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
7400 posts
5's or higher means you spent too much time studying and not enough time having fun

Or that you have skills in picking what you need to know for assesment, so minimal study time is needed ;D
02:29pm 09/07/06 Permalink
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
12252 posts
F*** YES F*****G MAXE GRADUATES |TT
02:37pm 09/07/06 Permalink
Booyah
Brisbane, Queensland
6032 posts
I long for that moment
02:50pm 09/07/06 Permalink
Pingu
Brisbane, Queensland
115 posts
Ok it says i got a 1...21%, but that cannot be correct. I submitted all assessment. Could it be that they just havent marked it all yet?

are you serious?
You need to see someone quick cos they wont release your final mark if they haven't marked all of it. They probably fkd up somewhere and lost your assignments.
08:37pm 09/07/06 Permalink
XandraX
Brisbane, Queensland
766 posts
Well i asked one of my friends who does the same course and he said that in the past he has gotten a 1 when it first came out but it changed to a 4 the next day, so i'm gonna wait a couple days and see if it changes.
12:48am 10/07/06 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
624 posts
I'd be sending an E-mail to your Lecturer/Tutor right now.

Nevel leave Mark s*** till 'later'. Chase it up now.
01:05am 10/07/06 Permalink
Booyah
Brisbane, Queensland
6039 posts
Maybe you just did really bad on all assesments?
01:23am 10/07/06 Permalink
typo
Other International
4998 posts

It could also mean that the person studying actualy is attempting to learn something that can benifit them in the future. People who aim for 4's are useless turds.
03:22pm 10/07/06 Permalink
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
12253 posts
3's get degrees
04:57pm 10/07/06 Permalink
Booyah
Brisbane, Queensland
6046 posts
6's get the b******.

That's why i'm merely married.
05:39pm 10/07/06 Permalink
XandraX
Brisbane, Queensland
767 posts
I don't aim for 4s, I just get them all the time... :(
05:43pm 10/07/06 Permalink
typo
Other International
4999 posts
3's get degrees

No longer true at UQ. Well, at least ITEE.
06:02pm 10/07/06 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
626 posts
One 3 per year for my course PS47 QUT.
06:13pm 10/07/06 Permalink
Pingu
Brisbane, Queensland
116 posts
A 3 is only 47%-50%.Its pretty hard to get one in the sense that you would either get a 2 if you're slack or a 4.
08:38pm 10/07/06 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
2352 posts
7.6.6.6 - including two 84%'s. im going to try and find an extra mark and hope for a 7,7,7,6
08:55pm 10/07/06 Permalink
typo
Other International
5000 posts
A 3 is only 47%-50%.Its pretty hard to get one in the sense that you would either get a 2 if you're slack or a 4.

I know lecturers who balance marks to give students a 3 when they don't want to give them a real passing grade, but don't want to deal with them next year.
09:45pm 10/07/06 Permalink
Fireblood
Brisbane, Queensland
7640 posts
No longer true at UQ. Well, at least ITEE.

Is it the same at QUT?
Got anything to back that up, because I got a 3 at QUT (which is now a 4 and 59% because they missed marking a question). But I was thinking i was going to have to repeat it and the lecturer was interested.
11:14am 11/07/06 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
7402 posts
I think QUT have reduced the amount of 3's you can get. I'm pretty sure you can get 2 3's, however for most courses 2nd and 3'rd year dont have 3 as a conceeded pass.

Really, I dont think a 3 should be a pass, I belive that if you cant pass 50% of a subject then you dont know it well enough to call yourself 'qualified' in that subject.
12:22pm 11/07/06 Permalink
Insom
Brisbane, Queensland
1073 posts
yep, a 3 no longer counts as a pass at UQ

back in the day you could only get a couple of 3s per degree before subsequent 3s amounted to fails

also there was a time when a 3 was a conceded pass but you couldn't use that subject as a prerequisite (back when UQ still had prerequisites)

bah to a 3 being a pass anyway
12:40pm 11/07/06 Permalink
Booyah
Brisbane, Queensland
6054 posts
3 3's at qut is what you're allowed.
12:42pm 11/07/06 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
16373 posts
heh, typo, im sure we've done this already eh?
04:27pm 11/07/06 Permalink
Matt
Brisbane, Queensland
724 posts
yep, a 3 no longer counts as a pass at UQ

But on getting your first 3 you're allowed to take a sup exam
05:18pm 11/07/06 Permalink
typo
Other International
5002 posts

But on getting your first 3 you're allowed to take a sup exam

Or if it is the only thing stopping you graduate, but 3's no longer mean degree's at UQ.

heh, typo, im sure we've done this already eh?

Excluding those who go to University after extensive experience, or those who have gained extensive experience since their studies; I haven't seen a single student, who aims for 4's that I'd hire for any technical work.

It's about work ethic and a willingness to learn. My experience in dealing with students across multiple technical degrees (at multiple universities), the students who consistently achieved 5’s to 6’s where hard working, intelligent, willing to learn and will attempt to achieve as many of the required outcomes as they possibly can. On the other hand, the students who focused at achieving only a 4 are, in general, lazy and are only interested in completing the absolute minimal output to not get in trouble.

last edited by typo at 21:14:39 11/Jul/06
09:12pm 11/07/06 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
16383 posts
i woudlnt know what my co-workers marks are at WORK

rest assured that the smart guys arent always teh best employees, coz work is a lot more than just being smart and getting good marks at uni

that said, a lot of the guys in our IT department dont even have degrees
07:52am 12/07/06 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
3341 posts
you guys suck at maths D: which i understand

i'm only at tafe atm doing a assoc degree in civil engineering (fancy name for an adv diploma) but classed as tertiary education and not vocational

i'm doing the advanced maths subject this semester which is basically uni maths 1,2 and 3, i'm going to go to uni when i finish tafe

i'm a bit scared about this maths, i've seen some of it last year looks pretty crazy

08:22am 12/07/06 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
13238 posts
/cue f2b coming in and whinging about how ITS NOT A REAL ENGINEERING DEGREE MAENZ!!!!!
08:45am 12/07/06 Permalink
typo
Other International
5003 posts
i woudlnt know what my co-workers marks are at WORK

I assume that most of the people that you work with have now all had extensive industry experience? Are you in a position to hire and fire those people? If not, then why would anybody expect you to know them?

I’ve worked with students from multiple programs and multiple Universities and you can tell recent graduates apart.

rest assured that the smart guys arent always teh best employees, coz work is a lot more than just being smart and getting good marks at uni

I’ll agree with you on one part; Often, students who only get 7’s are destined for different things than normal every day work. Their brains seem to be hardwired differently to every body else to make them natural problem solvers and often natural researchers. This can cause them difficulty in team or social work environments.

Of course, those students generally never appear in the general job market, they are immediately snapped up by places like CISRA.

However, again I’ll state, I haven’t met too many smart guys who didn’t get better than 4’s unless they are lazy. Generally, intelligent students get 5s or 6s, either because they produce higher quality work and/or they try to complete all of the objectives of the project.

Sure, I’ve met some students who are intelligent and get cruise for 4’s. These students don’t learn anything, have poor work ethic and generally do the minimal amount possible.

that said, a lot of the guys in our IT department dont even have degrees

I’ve never said that you need a degree to get a job in IT. In fact, I’ve never even alluded to it. IT is such a broad field that tying down qualifications is just stupid. That being said, degrees can open doors earlier that otherwise would have been difficult to get opened.

However, if you are going to hire a graduate IT student and you don’t even look at their academic transcript, you’re an idiot. The academic transcript describes what they have learned, and how much effort they put into their work for the last 3-4 years. That’s important information. Do you want a student who picked basket weaving, and Taoist meditation because they don’t really like IT, or took 5 years full time to eventually pass their way though their undergraduate, or do you want a student who learned more about computer stuff because they love it, and did pretty well?

Again, I’ll state; If someone has extensive experience then marks they may or may not have gotten 2+ years ago are less important, perhaps even irrelevant (depending on the employee). That sounds like what you are describing in your workplace.
08:46am 12/07/06 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
3344 posts
i know it's not really, it's not the same level as a bachelor, but it's better than a adv diploma, i plan to also do a bachelor degree at QUT after i finish tafe, i should go in as second year
09:17am 12/07/06 Permalink
typo
Other International
5004 posts
i know it's not really, it's not the same level as a bachelor, but it's better than a adv diploma, i plan to also do a bachelor degree at QUT after i finish tafe, i should go in as second year

Knowledge and some experience is better than doing nothing :)
09:47am 12/07/06 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
3346 posts
from what i'm hearing these days they don't even get taught properly how to use cad and draw etc in the engineering bachelor degree anymore. there are alot of uni grads going to tafe to do the cad courses cause they don't get taught properly at uni about it
12:49pm 12/07/06 Permalink
typo
Other International
5005 posts
from what i'm hearing these days they don't even get taught properly how to use cad and draw etc in the engineering bachelor degree anymore. there are alot of uni grads going to tafe to do the cad courses cause they don't get taught properly at uni about it

I'd imagine it depends on the institution. I know UQ's policy is that Engineering is a vocational university program and thus students should meet minimal work requirements. I don't know if CAD and drawing skills are amongst those, although I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

I started in an Advanced Diploma of Electrical Engineering at TAFE. I only stopped because Yeronga's administration was s***.
01:33pm 12/07/06 Permalink
Zen Apathy
Brisbane, Queensland
3429 posts
Your wrong typo I have plenty of grades below 4 and I have a job that pays more per hour than people with similar degress who graduated with honours, I've also yet to graduate.
02:26pm 12/07/06 Permalink
typo
Other International
5007 posts
Your wrong typo I have plenty of grades below 4 and I have a job that pays more per hour than people with similar degress who graduated with honours, I've also yet to graduate.

I'm not sure that make me wrong, it guess it really means that I shouldn't have generalised so broadly. I'm guessing that you are not in the generalisation that I'm talking about.

It isn't hard too see the general quality of graduates who get 4's, it's mostly s***. I've seen near graduate students who can't install or use an API. F***, I've seen graduate IT students who can't program in Java, the only language they had been taught.

I'm guessing that you had some skill sets, or experience in the industry? I'm also guessing that you quite often don't get the marks you could get because you just don't have the time, or possibly, since you already have work, the inclination, to achieve them.

I accept that there are exceptions, people who are working in industry, have worked in industry, or have since worked in industry are good examples. Also, people who have more important things to do than to continually study; such as, single parents at uni.

I've been working since before I graduated it's also well above the average hourly wage than most graduates and well before I graduated. One that I probably would never had gotten if I hadn't worked hard and learned heaps at Uni.

I know when I started working more than 15 hours a week, while still full time at Uni, my marks went from 6ish to mostly 5s. Again when I got to about 25 hours a week I started averaging out at 5’s. I just didn't have the time to sink into my studies that I used too.

I'm sure there are occasional students out there who only get 4's and no previous experience, but are total ninjas at what they do, I just haven't seen any of them. I also wouldn't hire them, unless they had some sort of visible experience that says "hey, I'm a f*****g ninja!"

I mean, without some sort of previous experience, portfolio or test, would you hire a recent graduate who failed a large percentage of their subjects at uni?

Again, if there is actual experience that makes them a valuable employee, then marks don’t really mean so much, if at all. However, if all you have to base your potential employee is their marks, and all they could achieve is 4’s and the occasional fail you shouldn’t hire them.

last edited by typo at 15:04:00 12/Jul/06
02:40pm 12/07/06 Permalink
Captain America
Gold Coast, Queensland
1055 posts

So, you have experiance in the industry?

Thats the thing ... without industry experience and with crappy grades you definitely wont get far. While myself I didnt get exceptional grades getting high grades can really open up a lot of doors for you if you play your cards right be it a scolarship for honours/masters or being taken in by one of them corporationy corporations that pay well and have job security.

So dont waste your time at uni and try and do better than you can.
02:56pm 12/07/06 Permalink
Captain America
Gold Coast, Queensland
1056 posts
also typo ... CISRA ? or do you mean CSIRO
Established in 1990 and located in the technology-hub of North Ryde, New South Wales, CISRA is the Australian R&D centre for Canon, world leader in cameras, business machines and imaging and information technologies. Due to our excellence and expertise in digital imaging technologies and our advanced facilities, CISRA has experienced tremendous growth from its origins as a small R&D centre. As a result of this we are not only one of Canon's largest R&D centres outside Japan, we are also one of the largest private R&D centres in Australia. With over 180 engineering, research and support staff CISRA now has an annual turnover of more than A$30 million. Together with Canon R&D centres in Japan, America, Europe and Asia, we are a key part of Canon's future technology and product development.
02:58pm 12/07/06 Permalink
Zen Apathy
Brisbane, Queensland
3430 posts
So, you have experiance in the industry?
I do now, I worked hard and now I know where everything is and how to solve some problems in minutes that would take anyone else in the company half a day if not more. If you asked me why I failed units at uni I'd say it's because I don't care about academic unit content that I will never use in the "real world" and I don't earn a cent for knowing. That and I'm not a Parrot.
03:06pm 12/07/06 Permalink
typo
Other International
5009 posts
also typo ... CISRA ? or do you mean CSIRO

Canon Information Systems Research Australia

But CSIRO is another example.

#edit: I've a got a bunch of friends who work down there, all of them got GPA of a 6 or higher in Software Engineering.

last edited by typo at 15:23:40 12/Jul/06
03:06pm 12/07/06 Permalink
typo
Other International
5010 posts
If you asked me why I failed units at uni I'd say it's because I don't care about academic unit content that I will never use in the "real world" and I don't earn a cent for knowing. That and I'm not a Parrot.

I think that depends on the type of program that you get into. The program I did was mostly focused in building things for users, even the Computer Science courses where practical in nature (to some degree).

Only a minimal number of my courses where purely theory based most all of those required practical assignments, like build an FTP client and server, or design and build a Reliable Datagram Protocol. Even Distributed Computing used relativity practical(ish) examples for their assignments.

A few of my project courses where ruined by academics who just didn’t get why people build projects in the real world. Which might be another reason my marks dipped a bit in my projects as I went on =P. Yet, those poor courses have been overshadowed by the sheer amount of amazing s*** I’ve learned.

Lastly, the “real world” is hard to define. Universities attempt to teach you generic skills that you can use now and in the future. How do you define real world skills and how do you predict what future skills you, or others, may or may not need? I mean, Information Technology is such a broad and diverse listing of jobs I can’t see how it is possible to define a single list of skills you need to have right now.

#edit: what kind of IT work do you do? I'm going to take a stab at support or administration, am I right?
03:20pm 12/07/06 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
16386 posts
i think where u went to uni is much more imporant than the marks you got

for instance, my graduating gpa of 3.3 at qut is probably worth a 6.5 at grifftafe, maybe a 6 at uq (do they even do computars at uq?)
05:20pm 12/07/06 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
7403 posts

i'm doing the advanced maths subject this semester which is basically uni maths 1,2 and 3, i'm going to go to uni when i finish tafe

i'm a bit scared about this maths, i've seen some of it last year looks pretty crazy

Maths is one of the easiest subjects to study for. You have clear right and wrong answers and the process of getting those answered are a matter practice. The reason why I only got a 4 (1% off a 5 hehe) is because I kept putting off study untill it was generally too late, giving myself just enough time to do the bare minimum study, with lots of time interrupted with game playing ;)

I think alot of the younger people who goto uni, and aim for 4's forget that they are paying ~$500 a subject. That is kind of like buying an xbox 360 and only playing spiderman. Waste of money.
05:23pm 12/07/06 Permalink
Insom
Brisbane, Queensland
1080 posts
do they even do computars at uq?

as Dijkstra said, computer science no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes
06:16pm 12/07/06 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
3347 posts
yeah thats is one thing toll, it's clear cut write and wrong which is one good thing, i look forward to the challenge
06:26pm 12/07/06 Permalink
typo
Other International
5011 posts
for instance, my graduating gpa of 3.3 at qut is probably worth a 6.5 at grifftafe, maybe a 6 at uq (do they even do computars at uq?)

I’m assuming that “computars” is computer science, and yes it is still available. However, it is only advertised to international students and it essentially is the IT program. In fact, IT with an honours year means you can do practically every Computer Science/Software Engineering course available. Many of the academics treat Software Engineering as the new Computer Science, even though they really shouldn’t.

Suggesting that QUT grades mean more than any other universities grades isn’t an indication of reality, and only an acceptance of QUT’s advertising campaign.

I’m the first to admit that UQ’s add campaign is f*****g homo, but there isn’t really much of a difference between the two graduates. In my experience with working with QUT students I haven’t noticed anything that suggests that they are better. Also, the employment uptake figures between the two Universities are about the same (UQ has a higher graduate employment ratio than QUT, but not by much).

Still. if I had a GPA as pathetic as yours I’d want to justify my piss-weak performance by inflating my “for the real world” university credentials.

Don’t get me wrong, I like many of the courses and programs that both QUT and Griffith run. I don’t think my University’s undergraduate is that much better or worse than the other two, neither GU or QUT had a program that really excited me, while UQ did.

---

I think alot of the younger people who goto uni, and aim for 4's forget that they are paying ~$500 a subject. That is kind of like buying an xbox 360 and only playing spiderman. Waste of money.

I think a lot of them are people who only went to University because their mother made them.
10:33pm 12/07/06 Permalink
parabol
Brisbane, Queensland
2465 posts
I know UQ's policy is that Engineering is a vocational university program and thus students should meet minimal work requirements. I don't know if CAD and drawing skills are amongst those, although I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

Examples of CAD work in Electrical/Computer-systems Engineering at UQ:

1. First year: Solidworks drawing of physical structures
2. First year: Hand-drawn perspective sketches from orthographic views
2. Second/third year: Extensive schematic and PCB designs
3. Fourth year (optional): Advanced schematic editing (low-level logic gates)
4. Fourth year (optional): Schematic editing for embedded systems purposes

So yes, there is plenty of CAD work .. even more if you get decent vacation employment. Personally I've spent almost 80 days at my job designing PCBs with CAD software to meet my work experience requirements.

Here we go again. The "I did crap at uni but I'm just as good as you" speech.

You do realise that many people who aim for honours usually do it for research position opportunities, whether at a university or at a brainy company, not just to earn as much as possible. Try applying at Google; no offence but they'll laugh at you .. assuming they even reply at all.

Given two students ...

1. One who got 5/6/7s at uni.
2. One who slacked off and watched TV, played WoW and got 4s.

There is no doubt which student will have more opportunities and choice in employment in his life. On the other hand, if the second guy did monkey work instead of slacking off and made more contacts and worked his way up .. that would be a different story.

Typo is right anyway. I'm not sure why he's even bothering to reply to you guys.

last edited by parabol at 22:53:05 12/Jul/06
10:49pm 12/07/06 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
4560 posts
Passed accounting, thank f***, was failing mid-semester because of work commitments, but pulled my finger out and managed to nail (80%) the last exam.

Any recommendations for interesting first year business subjects at qut, I'm only studying part time next semester because of work commitments, plus I am going overseas in November, so I only have time for 1 subject...

I was thinking economics due to reccomendations from friends ? Only thing is I don't like hardcore maths, stats style, so I would rather save those subjects for next year?
10:28am 13/07/06 Permalink
Fireblood
Brisbane, Queensland
7643 posts
Passed accounting, thank f***, was failing mid-semester because of work commitments, but pulled my finger out and managed to nail (80%) the last exam.

Any recommendations for interesting first year business subjects at qut, I'm only studying part time next semester because of work commitments, plus I am going overseas in November, so I only have time for 1 subject...

I was thinking economics due to reccomendations from friends ? Only thing is I don't like hardcore maths, stats style, so I would rather save those subjects for next year?

Why don't you do something hard like stats? That way thats all you have to worry about?
Then it's outta the way for next year and youll do well in it.
10:29am 13/07/06 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
4561 posts
Nah I'm going to be too busy to have time to stress about maths, I'm just not in a focused enough frame of mind to do something hard (and maths I find really hard, IE School, VHA in Chem, English, LA 10 in maths)
10:41am 13/07/06 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
7404 posts
Statistical Data Analysis at QUT is very easy to pass. You can take in a 2 sided A4 'cheat sheet' with anything on it at all.
Not only that, every fortnight you have to do a quizz in the Tute that is marked and handed back. The format and content of the questions in those quizzes are almost exactly the same as the Mid sem Exam and even the Final Exam.
In fact, if you condense all your quizzes down and fit them onto your cheat sheet you have almost enough to pass.

Add the really easy assignment on top of that and you should easily be able to get a 4 with having little clue as to what all the stats stuff really means. If you have somewhat of a clue, 5 for sure. Study up and u can easily get a 6, 7 is a bit harder tho.

Do that stats Jmr if it is the QUT Statistical Data Analysis.
12:19pm 13/07/06 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
3351 posts
that may be for electrical parabol, but civil is different, it's very much engineer does other s*** while the drafters, draw. but it helps lot if the engineers also knows how to draw and how a drawing office works apart from the snobby section the engineer sits in :p
02:57pm 13/07/06 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
4563 posts
Sounds good toll, ty
02:59pm 13/07/06 Permalink
XandraX
Brisbane, Queensland
768 posts
i agree about Stats Data Analysis...very easy due to cheat sheets etc. If your cheat sheet is good, theres no way you can fail really.

Also the textbook for the subject is horrible, or it was when i did it in 2004
04:50pm 13/07/06 Permalink
koopz
Queensland
5831 posts
I started in an Advanced Diploma of Electrical Engineering at TAFE. I only stopped because Yeronga's administration was s***

that's funny - my stepfather stopped teaching just that for the same reason, as did my boss when he quit lecturing at uni.

I often ponder what the local IT community would be like if chaps such as yourselves would professionally (edit: learn to speel :) band together in a common goal to instruct our young in ways that will be more benficial to the industry.. you could use this new broadband_interwebs idea to do it maybe...

last edited by koopz at 21:25:54 13/Jul/06

last edited by koopz at 21:26:12 13/Jul/06
09:22pm 13/07/06 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
2884 posts
Which subject are you talking about?

Quantitative Analysis & Finance? Because that's the only intro stats subject.

When I did it Sem1 last year you weren't allowed to take in sheets etc.
09:25pm 13/07/06 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
4247 posts
Maths is one of the easiest subjects to study for. You have clear right and wrong answers and the process of getting those answered are a matter practice. The reason why I only got a 4 (1% off a 5 hehe) is because I kept putting off study untill it was generally too late, giving myself just enough time to do the bare minimum study, with lots of time interrupted with game playing ;)

That only applies to easy maths subjects.. get into anything advanced at your theory go's right out the window.
10:32pm 13/07/06 Permalink
typo
Other International
5014 posts

that's funny - my stepfather stopped teaching just that for the same reason, as did my boss when he quit lecturing at uni.

I’d actually love to be some sort of tertiary teacher. I really like teaching people skills, and seeing those skills increase over time. However, after seeing the massive shafting that educators get at all levels of teaching, I wouldn’t consider it as a career anymore.

I often ponder what the local IT community would be like if chaps such as yourselves would professionally (edit: learn to speel :) band together in a common goal to instruct our young in ways that will be more benficial to the industry.. you could use this new broadband_interwebs idea to do it maybe...

It would be interesting too see something like a blend of TAFE and University that is focused on teaching students and not on politics. However, it requires quite a bit of start up capital to create courses and stuff.
10:52pm 13/07/06 Permalink
benneth
Brisbane, Queensland
1185 posts

I didn't even buy the text book and I still passed quite well, I can't remember what my percentage was I think i was a few per cent off getting a 5. I did it back in 2003, so a few years back now.
11:45pm 13/07/06 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
4564 posts
Quantitative Analysis & Finance? Because that's the only intro stats subject.

Thats what I thought, I actually started 122 (I think it is) last year, but I was doign 5 subjects and working so I wanted to drop one, and I found it the hardest so it got to go..
07:24am 14/07/06 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
7406 posts

Yer it sure is. For most of the examples and whatnot I had to work backwards from the answer to figure out what the heck it was going on about :/

That only applies to easy maths subjects.. get into anything advanced at your theory go's right out the window.

Your only saying that because your an engineer ;P Yer, it would get hard for 2nd tier maths subjects and whatnot as should any 2nd teir subjecty.
05:00pm 14/07/06 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
3353 posts
well i plan on following fade2black's footstep, bach after i do tafe D:

i'm doing uni maths 1,2 and 3 this semester at tafe fade, any tips?
05:06pm 14/07/06 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
7408 posts
Do you know the subject material that will be tought in 'uni maths 1,2 & 3'? The easy maths at uni goes over advanced trig, complex numbers, functions and the fun things you can do with them, derivatives and intergration, optimization and so on.

Basically all of QLD's Maths C with presumed knowledge of Maths B.
05:12pm 14/07/06 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
627 posts
All that, Within the first month.

Then you go on to the 'Fun' things in maths...
05:33pm 14/07/06 Permalink
Matt
Brisbane, Queensland
726 posts
i'm doing uni maths 1,2 and 3 this semester at tafe fade, any tips?

More important than just doing all the problem sets (which you'll get sick of), make sure you understand, and can repeat, the process for every type of problem you come up against (ie integration by parts, partial differentiation etc). Once you know the process you can apply it to other harder problems. Instead of just rote learning, understand why you're doing each step. That way when you come across unfamiliar problems you won't get stumped. Assuming you have weekly tutes makes sure you know how to 'tackle' every problem, even if you don't do it.

I cruised through first year maths - only half doing tutes & wagging lots of lectures - and it made study for my final exams a lot more stressful. However, with math2000, I put effort into all the tutes making sure I understood the material and going to my tute session when I didn't. Because of this I only needed a couple of days study to ace the exam :D

If you get stuck or feel overwhelmed I highly recommend getting a math tutor (*cough me* :P), or being active in your tutorial each week. Most people struggle with maths because they don't put the effort in. My intro uni maths students who weren't the smartest but worked the hardest actually did really well :)

last edited by Matt at 19:28:05 14/Jul/06
07:26pm 14/07/06 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:26pm 14/07/06 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.