Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Dune Mini-series
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
53 posts
Not strictly game related, but I was just surfing the web when I came across something rather interesting. If you're a fan of Frank Herbert's Dune series (like me) you will probably want to go and have a look at scifi.com's Dune: The Mini-Series site.

Airing in early december in the US on the SciFi channel, this 6 hour mini series looks set to be very impressive indeed. When it will reach our shores though, I have no idea :(
05:28pm 26/11/00 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:28pm 26/11/00 Permalink
ineffable
Brisbane, Queensland
278 posts
is it related to the movie in anyway?
05:29pm 26/11/00 Permalink
g0dfr3y
Brisbane, Queensland
17 posts
If they actually follow the book instead of making everything up (as they did in the movie) it looks like it should be alright.

Oh well

g0dfr3y
11:15pm 26/11/00 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
54 posts
Hrmm... it says 2 comments on the main page, but when I go in here I can't see any comments...

Is it just me?

12:04am 27/11/00 Permalink
Gobo
Sydney, New South Wales
25 posts
It HAS to be better than Lynch's film adaptation, that was atrocious.
12:48am 27/11/00 Permalink
ineffable
Brisbane, Queensland
299 posts
book to movie conversions always annoy someone

i never read the book so i didn't mind it at all

the whole internal monologue thing was wierd though
02:22am 27/11/00 Permalink
GreyMATr
Queensland
140 posts
Quite so Gobo old chap, but you must relinquish the notion that ones perception of a given genre can be adequately defined by a motion picture adaptation of written scripture containing vast amounts of conceptual information that is conveyed to the beholder by mere words alone. It must therefore be ones own self concepts of reality and perception that allows the human imagination to create such vivid imagery whereby such a world where to seem more then just fantasy and fiction and take upon itself a verve of great magnitude. It is therefore my own personal belief that Lynch's film adaptation was only atrocious by your definitions of the very conceptual information that was long ago purveyed by the Frank Herbet Dune series of novels. If it were not for your prior conceptions of the world that should have been portrayed by this film adaptation then your perception of said world would have not been constricted by prior knowledge that was originally constructed by your own perception of this fictitious reality and therefore would perhaps not found Lynch's adaptation to be atrocious as your own conception would most likely have been in reflection to Lynch's perception of the Dune reality for which his film adaptation would have been made from this perception as its premise. Therefore Lynch's film adaptation is only atrocious by your definitions of the Dune realm and could indeed be viewed by a peer to be a very good representation of how the Dune reality could be perceived by the original novel's conceptual information and thus scifi.com's Dune Mini-Series would not necessarily have to be better then Lynch's film adaptation and could well just be plain old f*****g s***.
05:06am 27/11/00 Permalink
Gobo
Sydney, New South Wales
26 posts
I disagree.
10:16am 27/11/00 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
32 posts
It looks like its more the book than the movie. The movie was quite decent for its time. The problem was that 6 hours of the film was left on the cutting room floor to be lost forever. A book like this needs a mini series just to cover everything. I remember there was going to be a new movie with the art done by geiger but that didnt happen :(. This new mini series looks pretty hardcore tho and I cant wait to watch it :DDD
10:48am 27/11/00 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
55 posts
After reading the book before seeing the movie (which I was warned against doing), I must agree, the film just didn't cut it. IMO Paul atreides was just portrayed totally wrong (he was far too pretty) and characters like Duncan Idaho and Gurney Halleck were hardly even in the movie, if at all.

I guess its pretty hard to cram the whole book into a 2 hour movie and I guess he probably did the best he could do with what he had, but it still didn't cut it.
11:13am 27/11/00 Permalink
Gobo
Sydney, New South Wales
27 posts
It has to be remembered that the nature of a large amount of the critical acclaim that Dune did recieve was grounded in the level of detail Herbert managed to bestow in his world.

If the released movie didnt reflect that detail (and it didn't) then it failed it's purpose. I'm a huge Lynch fan, but that movie was execrable and a textbook example of how screenwriters can completely screw up a movie conversion.

It probably is better suited to a mini series format regardless - that way they can then add new mini series' for the following books.

/me buys Greymatr a vowel.
01:19pm 27/11/00 Permalink
g0dfr3y
Brisbane, Queensland
19 posts
Umm, the movie wasn't just bad because it didn't follow the book - it was crap on it's own merits (un-merits?).

It was shockingly confusing & boring. Also - just about everything that was in the film didn't even come from the book.

Oh well

g0dfr3y
02:43pm 27/11/00 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
56 posts
The books are shockingly confusing also though so at least it got that aspect right :P

If we want to be picky though, how much of the stuff in the dune games came from the book? Theres not even a mention of anything like a tank/rocket launcher in the book yet they seem to be very proliferous in the games. Not to mention the fact the fremen were always severely understated in the games. We're talking about a race of people that under the banner of Paul Atreides, went accross the galaxy on a holy war, conquering worlds. Yet in the games all you get are 1 or 2 weak pathetic little useless wimps.

I dont think it was the fact that the movie didn't stick to the storyline of the book because lets face it, to fit the book into a two hour movie you'd pretty much have to rewrite the storyline anyway. But like Gobo said (yes, I'm agreeing with you, dont let it go to your head) it didn't properly capture the depth and level of detail herbert filled the world of Arakis with in the book. And not just the world but the parties fighting for power, all the political undercurrents, etc. Compared to the rich and full world of the book the movie was a lifeless husk.
05:44pm 27/11/00 Permalink
g0dfr3y
Brisbane, Queensland
21 posts
Umm, I recently reread the book, and the first one (which the movie was supposed to portray) is a quick moving adventure that doesn't hold a whole lot of the philosophical stuff that came after that in the other 5 books.

So, to sum up - the first book can easily be made to fit into 2 hours in my view, if you stick to the 'first' book.

Oh yeah, and what's with the glowing blue eyes both the movie and this series gives the residents of Arrakis? Their eyes are described as 'blue on blue' ie: the white part is also blue - not 'glowing blue eyes'

Oh well

g0dfr3y
07:01pm 27/11/00 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
57 posts
I guess it was difficult for them to accurately portray. The eyes are often described as a piercing blue, a pure blue, an unnatural blue... I guess they're trying to really get accross the fact, "no, this guy's blue eyes are not some naturally occuring thing, its indeed very alien". Besides, seeing as the spice is portrayed through the books as a rather mystical thing, I guess the "glowing blue eyes" adds to the mysticism angle.

On a different note, anyone else watch the trailers for the mini series? Does that guy in the desert wearing the stillsuit look like scorpion from mortal kombat to anyone else?
07:11pm 27/11/00 Permalink
Gobo
Sydney, New South Wales
29 posts
Godfrey, I'd like to see a screenplay that could encapsulate Dune adequtely in 2 hrs.

If your read of it is as a 'quick moving adventure' I suggest you may be missing out on the heavy emphasis on political intrigue.

Sure if you wanted to reduce it to the mental equivalent of pokemon you can be done in 2 hrs, man I can do that in 22 mins:

Paul Atreides learns leadership of group of underdogs who take on the galaxy avenging his father and gaining self awareness. See? easy. Shame it misses 99% of the story tho.
07:59pm 27/11/00 Permalink
g0dfr3y
Brisbane, Queensland
22 posts
Well, I just don't see the first book as being very 'deep' - that's all.

Read better thought provoking books.

Oh well

g0dfr3y
01:02am 28/11/00 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:02am 28/11/00 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.