Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Cable or ADSL?
benneth
Brisbane, Queensland
396 posts
in the next few months i'm going to finally get broadband internet.

I'm going with Telstra, why you ask ? i don't know.

anyway it is either between adsl or cable.....now i want to know which is better: adsl or cable? and why?

i've looked up the prices for adsl and cable and cable seems cheaper and faster than adsl.

both are available to be connected in my area.

also when playing in gamearena does it eat into your quota? i have heard that it doesn't but i just wanna make sure. ;)
12:45am 11/10/03 Permalink
system
Internet
--
shrapse
Brisbane, Queensland
1995 posts
adsl
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
404 posts
cable > adsl
12:47am 11/10/03 Permalink
Kaygen
Brisbane, Queensland
3063 posts
Depends if you want "massive" downloads etc cable is probably better , bandwidth wisethey prob same for gaming etc
12:48am 11/10/03 Permalink
benneth
Brisbane, Queensland
397 posts
k, can u guys give me a reason as to why cable or adsl is better?
12:49am 11/10/03 Permalink
Hemerage
Brisbane, Queensland
11903 posts
Cable
650Kb/sec downloads and a F*****G TINY PIECE OF S*** 3gb cap
I can blow that much trolling QGL .. im serious :)

ADSL
for about same price as calb,e u get 65Kb/sec~ DL speed ... but like 15+Gb download (might get unlimited DL here too)

Or pay more, like $150, and get 190Kb/sec DL, and unlimited download

In summary .. ADSL
12:51am 11/10/03 Permalink
linkin
Brisbane, Queensland
3611 posts
go adsl

one good reason - pipe!!
12:55am 11/10/03 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
406 posts
3gig is alot unless your a twit.

cable pings are way better for gaming then adsl's slow ass.

I am on ADSL now, was on BPA cable 2 months ago (for around 2 years).. I miss cable...
12:56am 11/10/03 Permalink
Hemerage
Brisbane, Queensland
11904 posts
3gb is not alot

I dont download anything ... yet all 3gb goes
Where .. i dont know!

I ONLY play on GA .. and I ONLY get demos etc off GA

If be absolutely f***ed without Gamearena...
12:58am 11/10/03 Permalink
b00n
Brisbane, Queensland
545 posts
yeah well i have iinet dsl 512/128 and its pretty sweet, i download a reasonable ammount and mostly doesnt go towards my quota. i get nice pings of about 45's on optus GA i get higher because of punkbuster.

overall i like my adsl its only 80dollars a month and all cable users that have been at my house lanning and used my adsl loved it hey.

shrapse knows what i am talkin about :P
12:58am 11/10/03 Permalink
benneth
Brisbane, Queensland
398 posts
okay okay, seems like mixed emotions.

with telstra adsl and cable, the prices are around the same amount and for the same cap.

as for what plan i'll be going on....it'll be the 500meg/month *laughs.
the main reason why broadband for me is that it actually works out cheaper than dial up. so hence the reason why the low cap.

and i'll only be using it for uni work and to play games on GA. so i SHOULDN't download too much.
01:06am 11/10/03 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
407 posts
sorry hemerage you are a twit ...

3gig is heaps.
When I was playing MMOGs solid (ie. 8hours or more a day)I was flat out breakin 1gig.

My folks are normal home users (ebay, news, banking, email) they have never cracked 800 meg never mind 3gig.

I believe Jim had similar usage levels.

The only way you break 3gig is by downloading alot of stuff or playing games not on cogs. Most people that break it do alot of peer to peer gaming, or use kazaa.

I fyou use cogs for games and do most of your big downloads off BPA. You will be flat out making it to 1gig.

There is no way you could break 3gig just reading forums. Thats 30000000000 characters or around 500000000 words.
01:07am 11/10/03 Permalink
Hemerage
Brisbane, Queensland
11905 posts
Your wrong
I use it, every month

Newb!

500meg/month *laughs.
Asif bother
Dont come crying when you fly past that, and cop extra charges
01:10am 11/10/03 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
6041 posts
3GB is a joke Obes, no matter how you attempt to justify it. There is no point in having broadband with such an intense restriction placed on it.
01:12am 11/10/03 Permalink
b00n
Brisbane, Queensland
546 posts
check out iinet or internode
01:14am 11/10/03 Permalink
benneth
Brisbane, Queensland
399 posts
lol, nah. the reason for the 500megs a month is that i'm on 400megs now on dial up and so far i haven't broken that...because i don't download anything.

sure, i know that since cable is soooo fast compared to dial up i might break the cap. but i'll keep i close eye on it.

also, i want cable so i don't have to continuously connect to dial up for when i need to use the net for only 10 minutes.

anyway this thread is about which one is better: adsl or cable....
not about who can break their cap

check out iinet or internode

nah, i have to get telstra because of parents.

anyways i'm off to bed.
01:16am 11/10/03 Permalink
Jim
Brisbane, Queensland
2821 posts
3GB is a joke Obes, no matter how you attempt to justify it. There is no point in having broadband with such an intense restriction placed on it.

I disagree, otherwise I'd have changed.

It's certainly unsuitable for some people, yet it's heaps for others - it's that simple really.

01:24am 11/10/03 Permalink
Hemerage
Brisbane, Queensland
11906 posts
So you have a 400Mb plan on dialup ... which you use at 5Kb/sec
And your gonna go to a 500Mb plan, with 650Kb/sec speeds

YEAH! You wont go over

You'll naturally wanna download a heap more .. but you cant
Get ADSL

nah, i have to get telstra because of parents
Fools
01:24am 11/10/03 Permalink
Eds
Brisbane, Queensland
5659 posts
I dont understand people that want to go to telstra. Honestly, their pricing and service is complete crap compared to other providers.

Obes, you must have gay adsl then cause I came across from cable to adsl and cogs pings rock for me, and i have dl 9 gig this month so far. Cable is completly crap unless you are a business. Then I can under stand it for WAN and what not.
www.dart.net.au
01:28am 11/10/03 Permalink
peacekeeper
Brisbane, Queensland
2421 posts
Cable is better than ADSL, there's no reason at all to go Telstra over another DSL ISP if you can get it.
01:31am 11/10/03 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
377 posts
Say to your parents "Telstra can charge us whatever the hell they like and we can't do s*** about it", then show them the Huge telstra bill threads on whirlpool, see how quickly they change their tune.
(I know thats an exaggeration, but the point is to scare your parents into opening their minds to other options)

Im on 3 gig telstra cable, and its "just" enough (for me), if there was an unlimited adsl with 150kbyte/s for ~$85, then i would probably swap, but as it is cable is just good enough that i cbf switching. And i know i would miss the dl speed i get from GA, but if i never had had cable i would probably go adsl.
03:13am 11/10/03 Permalink
Gregory
Brisbane, Queensland
996 posts
if u have to get telstra get cable is about same price as there adsl and quicker. If u go on the 500 meg plan ur crazy. U will go over it with cable or adsl . Also my parents used to think telstra was the way till they discovered there is other providers. talk yah parents into a cheaper adsl plan with some one else just outline the money they will save. U can have IINET adsl for like 49 a month for 2 gig plan
07:43am 11/10/03 Permalink
Toast
Brisbane, Queensland
67 posts
I have cable and thats the way i like it, its good for games and gettin fast downloads, but with the 3gb limit all you have to do is lay low till last week of month then download as much as you want cause even if you go over the limit you only slow down to 28kb which doesnt effect gameplay much and will bak to normal the next month, point made

CABLE!
08:02am 11/10/03 Permalink
Dopefish
Brisbane, Queensland
317 posts
if i was you i would check out whirlpool.

if you can get a 1500 plan you wont notice the extra speed of cable alot.

+ you get 32k upload not 16 :D
08:13am 11/10/03 Permalink
Lits
Brisbane, Queensland
2181 posts
benneth, you are extremely naive to think that just because you havent broken 400mb on dialup, you wont break 500mb on adsl. i somehow manage to download 1.2gb a month with dialup, i could probably download 500mb in a matter of hours on adsl.

i recommend that instead of pissing your money up against the wall with telstra, you consider iinet bliink home 512, $80 per month, 16gb downloads, and you dont get charged if you go over. thats the plan im going to be on in a few weeks once i get all the installation hassles out of the way. you'll need to get either a line splitter installed, or use multiple line filters on your phones, if you have any on the adsl line.

as for the reliability of this deal, if you search for the thread about which broadband provider/plan is the best, you'll see that everyone who is with iinet has nothing bad to say about them or their plans.

thank you and goodnight.
08:33am 11/10/03 Permalink
Boffiend
Brisbane, Queensland
1875 posts
If you get telstra cable, a download cap of 3GB is plenty because gaming on GA servers costs you no quota, and also neither do the bpa file servers. I NEVER exceed my 3GB cap.
08:37am 11/10/03 Permalink
episime.
Brisbane, Queensland
3504 posts
He is talking about Telstra ADSL, get cable over ADSL, but getting an ISP like iinet, internode or netspace ADSL would be better, you 6gb+ cap for $75ish
08:40am 11/10/03 Permalink
Deadly-Fly
Gold Coast, Queensland
418 posts
If you're going telstra get cable but you may as well sign up to the 3 gig plan straight away instead of the 500mb one, because after the first month you'll be upgrading to 3gig anyway.

3gig is plenty for your situation but 500mb will just get you a big bill at the end of the month. Also don't worry about other ISPs if you don't need the extra downloads, Telsra cable will get you the best pings in GA.

But for the love of god don't go with telstra ADSL as it has got to be one of the worst ADSL plans out there.
09:43am 11/10/03 Permalink
Primal
Brisbane, Queensland
1332 posts
cable

i have optus cable, my download speeds are high, it goes up to 1.2meg/sec sometimes, but on avg. 650k-800k, had no problems and get great ping, as for the 3gig cap/plan, i don't go over, so it is good for me, but i am no warze monkey..

if you are having a cry about the cap you can always go for a larger plan, ppfffttt... tight arses with money :P
like everything in life, you get what you pay for.
12:58pm 11/10/03 Permalink
DigitaL
Brisbane, Queensland
924 posts
avoid optus cable, i dont play games much so it dosent affect me. the 3 gig cap is a s******.
01:36pm 11/10/03 Permalink
jimor
Brisbane, Queensland
857 posts
we have optus 3gig at our house...almost always go over by the 25th

No one downloads much, just irc/msn/web browsing and playing games a bit.

australian broadband is f*****g ridiculous
01:52pm 11/10/03 Permalink
Insolence
Brisbane, Queensland
1905 posts
Its so old this whole, you can only use 3 gig if youre a warez monkey arguement. Our household used to have bpa and the 3 gig was gone in no time. With 4 regular interent users and a few occasional users it doesnt take long to chew through it without going anywhere near illegal content.

Uni notes, database browsing, downloading movie and game trailers (ga file request is a good feature but its just not feasible that it will mirror all/enough of the content im after).

Whilst i was happy with telstras service and would have been prepared to go on a higher plan, their pricing structure is ridiculous. Dont know if it still is like this, but it used to be cheaper to get two 3 gig plans then for one 5 gig, really makes no sense to me. I would have been happy to stick with them if they offered a reasonably affordable 6 gig plan, but as it was we were forced to change to a different dsl provider.

6 months on with iinet, couldnt be happier. Pings are a little higher and its a little more laggy then cable, but at least i dont have to worry about turning off sigs and having all images as links just so i can squeeze every last drop out of my 3 gig.
02:20pm 11/10/03 Permalink
Primal
Brisbane, Queensland
1333 posts
maybe you should be pooling your money for a better plan.

4 users plus "others" on a 3 gig plan and you wonder why you run out??? LOL!!

it is just me here using the 3gig plan and i have no worries.

so just pool your money and pay the extra for a bigger plan, ggeezzz, it doesn't take a mental giant to work that one out. :P

if you can't afford a bigger plan then bad fucing luck, lifes like that. :P
02:31pm 11/10/03 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
13124 posts
heh I've got 5 users here all using the internet for email, gaming, msn, uni work, research, and me using it for work 12-16 hours a day, and we rarely go above 2-2.5gb
02:47pm 11/10/03 Permalink
C0deBasher
Brisbane, Queensland
331 posts
First up,

With Telstra, if for >>> ANY <<< reason, a lot of data should come down that wire; and just only once mind you, no second chance here boys and girls, then you are %100 comprehensively and totally f***ed for years to come. No room for error, do not pass go, its game over.

secondly,

Anything that adds up to a few hours full use a month is Bulls***t no matter what spin a marketing dept or apologist might try to put on it. The Internet is a very very big place and one day, one just might decide to venture out there for a good look. What a surprise there'll be on realising the "car" has only enough fuel to get out of the driveway.

And lastly for all those, "3GB is plenty for me so everyone else obviously doesn't need it either".
Go away until you can come back with an intellegent arguement, these pompass jokers should have stayed with dial up.

/end rant
02:50pm 11/10/03 Permalink
shrapse
Brisbane, Queensland
1996 posts
try doing that without a gamearena or telstra file library service trog :\
02:52pm 11/10/03 Permalink
CaPt0
Brisbane, Queensland
4620 posts
Telstra Cable is currently the best broadband servie imo. 900K/s downloads from GA, 10-50ms pings to most aussie gaming servers and a huge free downlaod site.

We rearely go about 800meg here between 4 suers using it all day every day for surfing and email.
02:55pm 11/10/03 Permalink
exo
Brisbane, Queensland
6143 posts
itXpress has unlimited ADSL for $90/month, and isn't based off COMindco.
02:57pm 11/10/03 Permalink
Primal
Brisbane, Queensland
1334 posts
maybe you missed my point and i have to spell it out to you code..

i am not saying that 3 gig is suitable for all, i am saying that if your house uses more than 3 gig a month, then pay the extra money and get a bigger plan, is it really that hard to understand???

like, it is a basic maths thingy :/

03:19pm 11/10/03 Permalink
Fishwick
Brisbane, Queensland
169 posts
lits i get 4gb a month on dialup, and i hardly download anything
03:21pm 11/10/03 Permalink
Insolence
Brisbane, Queensland
1906 posts
Obviously you missed this bit Primal

Whilst i was happy with telstras service and would have been prepared to go on a higher plan, their pricing structure is ridiculous. Dont know if it still is like this, but it used to be cheaper to get two 3 gig plans then for one 5 gig, really makes no sense to me. I would have been happy to stick with them if they offered a reasonably affordable 6 gig plan, but as it was we were forced to change to a different dsl provider.

As above, if Telstra internet used a logical pricing model like pretty much every other service and the price/unit came down as you purchased more then i would have been happy to stay with them. Instead, they have some ridiculous model which basically encourages people to stay on the 3 gig plan and then they get to charge through the nose for excess usage.

Hence we did pool our money and switch providers and couldnt be happier with the move.

04:33pm 11/10/03 Permalink
C0deBasher
Brisbane, Queensland
332 posts
It wasn't aimed at you primal, you'll notice my rancor was aimed at those who say no one else should ever need more just because they themselves don't. I see a lot of that :P

Its cool, chill dude.. :D
08:29pm 11/10/03 Permalink
- NaK0r -
Brisbane, Queensland
1198 posts
yeah, i agree with the whole "go adsl but with a different provider" idea

firstly if ur only gonna download <500 a month (as uve said u wouldnt) then u arnt gonna notice a slightly slower download speed for documents, images etc - another point, if u get a isp with pipe, then ull have a way to download almost as much of the stuff as GA has via all the different ISP ftps
pipe also lets u use any pipe enabled isp to play games on their server too, so ull end up with a s***load of free game servers as well

secondly, most other adsl providers are cheaper then telstra, for as good as, if not better service, and a much bigger download limit, plus usually a few email boxes, webspace (not sure on what telstra offers in this department)

thirdly, if for one day u want to download a really big movie - for example - any E3 videos of upcoming games, (HL2, Doom3, Halo2 the list goes on) or a host of trial products for school (macromedia, adobe etc) then if ur stuck on 500mg limit ull find it very hard to stay under for the rest of the month HOWEVER with another adsl isp then as said above ull have plenty of breathing room to download stuff at will (well as long as u stick to legal stuff...ull prolly go over if u start to stray to warez, so thats just another reason not to download em) but yeah, as ppl have said before, no matter what u think - 500mg wont last long, and its a lot better getting a bigger plan from the start and not getting a HUGE bill from telstra for having gone a gig over the limit or something

there are a lot of other things that adsl are better then cable with, such as free uploads (putting stuff onto other ppls ftps etc), pipe (already mentioned), easier/cheaper installation - uses normal phone line ports but yeah

cable on the other hand is very fast, doing 1mg in about 1-2 sec from most local sites, but unless u can really justify that extra speed its not really worth it - im on 512 adsl, and forums load instantly, photos have loaded as soon as uve finished looking at the previous one etc, so the cable speed imo isnt needed as much as a bigger dl cap (but then i dont play as many games as other ppl so they might be able to tell u theres a bigger difference there, im not sure)

im sure there was prolly something else i was meant to mention, but ive forgotten it by now :S anyways - good luck with whatever u get, in the end uve gotta choose what suits u the best, however take other ppls opinoins in hand tho cause theyve been there and done that

ps - if u get adsl then make sure u know exactly what u need for extra phones etc - u need a line filter for any other phone etc - if u have any trouble working it out post on here again and ppl will know
08:54pm 11/10/03 Permalink
benneth
Brisbane, Queensland
400 posts
okay, i've had a look at the other places and their plans, mainly iinet because thats what most of you guys said is okay.

they have a plan for adsl for $59.95 a month for 3gigs plus 2gigs off peak. doubt i'll break it but meh, cheaper than telstra.

it's 256 download and 64 upstream so that'll be okay for gaming and everything else i suppose. but i'll look at other providers aswell.

anyway thanx for everyones input ;). it'll be a while till i get it installed anyway.

anymore info couldn't hurt. ;)
10:24pm 11/10/03 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:24pm 11/10/03 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.