Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Whats your favoruite game glitch/easter egg?
Swiss_Cheeseman
Gold Coast, Queensland
2509 posts
After messing around a bit in Super Mario Bros, I finally managed to get into the "minus world", which is basically a hidden level that repeats over and over.

http://www.neschedda.com/secrets/smbsecret.html

I investiagted more, to see if there was anything else interesting in regard to the hidden level. I found this:

http://www.smbhq.com/~mysteries/minusworld2.htm

It seems theres a minus world in the minus world, with the original end of game boss, the koopa king! Unfortunatly, its nigh impossible to get to, as is explained on the webpage.

Whats your favourite glitch/easter egg?
08:51pm 03/06/03 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:51pm 03/06/03 Permalink
Sphinx
Brisbane, Queensland
2930 posts
yeah i know about the first minus level not the 2nd one
08:53pm 03/06/03 Permalink
Manshoon
Brisbane, Queensland
608 posts
The Head behind the wall in Doom 2 was cool. As was the blood golem glitch on the necromancer in Diablo 2.....always nice to be able to stay alive due to a blood golem.

The dancing zombies in Thief 2 are pretty funky too.
08:57pm 03/06/03 Permalink
Tael
Brisbane, Queensland
2170 posts
98.5MB movie showing off a bunch of cool bugs in Super Mario Bros:
http://web.utk.edu/~jeppers1/Crazygodtechnique.avi
09:00pm 03/06/03 Permalink
scooby
Brisbane, Queensland
630 posts
the head in the wall wasnt an easter egg- it was the finish of the game..
although its a bit odd i still dont think it can be classified as one

09:03pm 03/06/03 Permalink
Trapper
Brisbane, Queensland
65 posts
the russian danceing germans in rtcw.
09:03pm 03/06/03 Permalink
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
5893 posts
head behind the wall in doom 2, and the commander keen/wolfenstein bits too.

There was a million and one easter eggs in Duke Nukem 3D, but I cant remember them.

Most memorable glitch incident was in Streets of Rage 1, me and a mate were playing two player on the final level before the boss.

We were fighting those dudes who juggle s***, so my mighty Blaze Fielding did the old jump kick and kick 5 or 6 axes out of his hands trick, but in the process something went wrong and it suddenly cut to the ending credits.

Weird.
09:05pm 03/06/03 Permalink
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
5894 posts
the head in the wall wasnt an easter egg- it was the finish of the game..

was it?

i thought you were supposed to finish the game by shooting rockets into its brain? And you only got to the head in the wall by idclip'ing through it?
09:06pm 03/06/03 Permalink
Hemerage
Brisbane, Queensland
8999 posts
I could fly in Coolboards 3 on PS1 :P

Fallen thru the world in GTA3...

http://users.bigpond.net.au/mkill/fall1.jpg

http://users.bigpond.net.au/mkill/fall2.jpg

Ummmmmmm, ill remember more..
09:09pm 03/06/03 Permalink
Manshoon
Brisbane, Queensland
610 posts
thats what I thought too maxe
09:10pm 03/06/03 Permalink
Swiss_Cheeseman
Gold Coast, Queensland
2510 posts
yeah, the head isnt "meant" to be seen. Its John Romero by the way.
09:10pm 03/06/03 Permalink
Cailean
New South Wales
3011 posts
The SiN one I think. It was a hidden room where there was a TV hooked up to a camera taping 'Elexis's' 9was that her name, the lady in red) spa. Pretty damn funny (and raunchy) egg.
09:15pm 03/06/03 Permalink
=-Firefrog-=
Brisbane, Queensland
311 posts
Max Payne, in the hotel level, where you stumble across the hookers secret business, taping clients behind their backs :p
09:17pm 03/06/03 Permalink
WhoopAss
Brisbane, Queensland
3136 posts
the ability to see through walls in games due to buggy drivers, that always gives me a laugh.
09:20pm 03/06/03 Permalink
Trapper
Brisbane, Queensland
66 posts
actualy i just rememebr one from rtcw, in the level where you gotta sneak up on the mansion, all the officers you have to kill are out of hogans hero's i like that one too
09:31pm 03/06/03 Permalink
Lits
Brisbane, Queensland
812 posts
The Head behind the wall in Doom 2 was cool.

i always thought clipping in there and laying the smack down on that head was the only way to finish the game.

i was such a noob when that first came out i still thought cheating was cool.
09:40pm 03/06/03 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
4463 posts
Both Serious Sam games have some farny ones :) Play them and see what I mean.
09:48pm 03/06/03 Permalink
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
5895 posts
nah you gotta take the little lift up with a rocket launcher, and fire about a half second from when the lift hit the top.

Then jump off and do it again.
09:49pm 03/06/03 Permalink
Lits
Brisbane, Queensland
814 posts
i might just do that once all these ghey exams are over and done with. ive been meaning to install hitman2 again, but ie been studying too much.
09:49pm 03/06/03 Permalink
Gavmo
Brisbane, Queensland
3774 posts
the one in MS Excel

that provided much entertainment during busniess ed classes. totally cainz0red some of the old 486s they used though.
10:05pm 03/06/03 Permalink
Greyden
Brisbane, Queensland
5844 posts
ok i doubt any of yeah have ever found this one and ive searched around the web a few times to see if anyone else has published it but it apears asif no one has

install ye old fallout 1. then put an icon for it on the desktop
change your res to 640x480 256 colours and the icon turns into one of the main guys who made its head. best lil easter egg ive ever found.

other then that black and white had a few cool easter eggs.. ( to bad it was a pretty s*** game ) like april fools your creatures foot prints turned to smiley faces.
DigitaL
Brisbane, Queensland
509 posts
descent 1 + 2 both had sweet secret level glitches. descent 1 has the best on mine 9 when your down the bottom of the mine near the red door theres a clipped wall to the right that leads to a secret level wich has only 2 big rooms that are totally dark with robots all through them

ahh the good old days
DigitaL
Brisbane, Queensland
510 posts
haha i hate that excel thing.. its so boring its not worth playing
10:06pm 03/06/03 Permalink
Parag0n
Brisbane, Queensland
3465 posts
thats weird, also wtf are you doing playing mario !
10:12pm 03/06/03 Permalink
Swiss_Cheeseman
Gold Coast, Queensland
2512 posts
Whats wrong with mario?
10:14pm 03/06/03 Permalink
I'm Mister Burns
Gold Coast, Queensland
62 posts
haha Hemerage me too.
when testing out multitheft I got in a plane and flew from portland to the middle island and ended up it the football stadium! when I got out of the plane I fell through the ground :)
10:14pm 03/06/03 Permalink
Parag0n
Brisbane, Queensland
3467 posts
i never said anything was wrong with it, juts wondering why you are playing such an out of date game ?
10:17pm 03/06/03 Permalink
bobbly_bob
Brisbane, Queensland
357 posts
Jazz Jack Rabbit
One of the levels if you ran the wrong way as you were falling down some part, you dissappeared into the wall.
When you tried to run back the other way out of the wall, game would lock as soon as you were about to make it
10:28pm 03/06/03 Permalink
Swiss_Cheeseman
Gold Coast, Queensland
2513 posts
I play lots of old games, I actually play the old ones more often than new ones.
10:40pm 03/06/03 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
423 posts

Yer Dancing Zombies in Thief2 was a hoot!

and the ID Nostalgia room in Quake2 was cool too ;)
10:43pm 03/06/03 Permalink
Sphinx
Brisbane, Queensland
2934 posts
there's one in nba 2k3 for the ps2. Where you play a game, the camera view goes funny and you can't see the game.
10:46pm 03/06/03 Permalink
power
Brisbane, Queensland
5464 posts
not half as exciting as all the ones i can't remember but being able to go into the photo in dm_runtfest is pretty cool, also i think developer sheats should count too so the wacky cars you can get in some racing games are pretty awesome too...dammit can't think of any good easter eggs
10:51pm 03/06/03 Permalink
[Q]
Brisbane, Queensland
5997 posts
Cool one from duke3D was in a church/chappel there is a preist up in the roof hanging (like hes been hung yeah) you go up to the dais and their are stain glass windows behind it. I think you pressed a button somewhere around the area and one of the windows oepend. Walk through and the doom man was sitting impaled in a spike and duke said some ammusing comment relating to doom and the doom guy. It was cool.

Duke3D had s***loads as somone said. That one was neat though.
10:54pm 03/06/03 Permalink
[Q]
Brisbane, Queensland
5998 posts
Wolfenstein... The secret/bonus packman level. That was f*****g leet... especially for back then. :)

There were a few easter eggs like that in the wolf game... Cant remember now though :P
10:56pm 03/06/03 Permalink
Dogmatix Man
Brisbane, Queensland
645 posts
Coolest little 'bug' that I found was in Duke3D. I can't remember how, but there was some way you could get Duke to be kicking with two feet at the same time (tilde key for the left foot, normal melee attack for the right? Can't recall exactly). Looked pretty damn funny :)
11:01pm 03/06/03 Permalink
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
5902 posts
Action Quake 2

highrise2

go into the room playing the "mad inspector karlsson" music and shoot the stereo

everything blows up.
11:04pm 03/06/03 Permalink
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
5903 posts
and the ID Nostalgia room in Quake2 was cool too ;)

sooooo unbeleivably proud of myself when i found that one
11:06pm 03/06/03 Permalink
Lithios
Brisbane, Queensland
182 posts
Action quake 2 is awesome

that is all..

ohh and one of my fav easter eggs is in
nba live 95 on megadrive, get the ball and run to the top right of the court, just out of view of the camera, press A + C together, all the computer players froze and it turned into a slam dunk contest, if i remeber correctly it even scored you as well

damn i was addicted to that game

Patrick Ewing rocks you!!!

(Old New York Knicks Center)
12:25am 04/06/03 Permalink
shrapse
Brisbane, Queensland
1270 posts
http://members.optusnet.com.au/arimac/csegg.jpg

Don't eat these, they're poisonous!
12:34am 04/06/03 Permalink
Hemerage
Brisbane, Queensland
9002 posts
Nice shrap :)
You make that?

haha Hemerage me too.
when testing out multitheft I got in a plane and flew from portland to the middle island and ended up it the football stadium! when I got out of the plane I fell through the ground :)
No, the plane thru stadium was the cheaty way :)

Mine was fully legit, just driving into water, and falling!

Falling to like an underground level....

Me a few hundred metres down... watching cars :/

http://users.bigpond.net.au/mkill/fall3.jpg
01:02am 04/06/03 Permalink
Fireblood
Brisbane, Queensland
3880 posts
Jazz Jack Rabbit

damn that game rocked
01:10am 04/06/03 Permalink
NaBeL
Brisbane, Queensland
560 posts
oooooooooooh yeah

i loved the christmas one .. cant remember what called :(
01:16am 04/06/03 Permalink
FredHoon
Brisbane, Queensland
59 posts
STUNTS!!!

When hitting stationary objects at the right angle (even at a snails pace) hitting another car or landing a jump in a wierd way you would fly to an enourmous height up into the air. My shildhood days were filled with repaeting that over and over again and recording the videos - just to get the best looking 'jump' from the most unexpected and random situation.

Fallout1 - in the old milatary base with the mutants - the bit that f***ed up and wouldn't let you out or in further if you got some random computer question wrond - even if you reloaded and chose ther correct answer. You had to restart from the begening and get it right it think - until the patch came out in which case you had to start again anyway. I love RPG's cant can't be phyiscally completed without a patch.

Fallout2
Cafe of lost dreams
where a whole heap of 'reject' characters from Fallout1 were moping around whinging about how they should have been picked - until u hid some plastic explosives in someones pocket....
the Fallouts wer jam packed with goodness - random encounters and the never ending boxing match in F2.

I'm still waiting for Blackisle to bring out an RPG with the same level of complexity that Fallout had to offer - they keep promising it but consistantly fail to deliver.
01:36am 04/06/03 Permalink
ineffable
Brisbane, Queensland
3413 posts
Daikatana (wait for it)

Me and dan were playing through in coop. We get to this section with a doorway thats protected with lasers (think resident evil). Anyway we turn it off, and go to walk through, no lasers anymore, but it still kills you instantly.

Nothing you could do at all to get passed. Also this was quite a few months after the game had been released and it was probably the third patch or something.

So after trying for maybe 30 minutes to get through, we deleted it. Never to be played again.
02:57am 04/06/03 Permalink
Ljdie
Brisbane, Queensland
36 posts
Best stuff up ever - counter-strike!
03:02am 04/06/03 Permalink
exiieee
Brisbane, Queensland
2616 posts
de_prodigy how u can get in the walls and swim in the air :P

~_~
07:26am 04/06/03 Permalink
GeNociDe
Brisbane, Queensland
1305 posts
SIN = if left unpatched you can run through single player and if you take the wrong turn (several times mind you) you can get stuck and cant proceed on to finish the game. ever. SIN has lots of bugs.
07:28am 04/06/03 Permalink
Dan
Brisbane, Queensland
5828 posts
haha neff, that was a classic.
We tried, we gave daikatana a chance, and how does it treat us?

That was after f*****g around for ages getting it installed and the patch that took like an hour to load. It was never meant to be.

Also cheeseman, that second minus world thing is BS.
I was wondering why I had never heard of it before then I saw the article and screenshots, they're photoshops man.
Look at the giant goomba for f**** sake.
How long were you actually trying to get there? hahaha.
08:03am 04/06/03 Permalink
Mr. Magoo
Brisbane, Queensland
38 posts
Cool one from duke3D was in a church/chappel there is a preist up in the roof hanging (like hes been hung yeah) you go up to the dais and their are stain glass windows behind it. I think you pressed a button somewhere around the area and one of the windows oepend. Walk through and the doom man was sitting impaled in a spike and duke said some ammusing comment relating to doom and the doom guy. It was cool.

"Hmmmmmmm, that's one doomed space marine"
08:20am 04/06/03 Permalink
Dan
Brisbane, Queensland
5829 posts
"Hmmmmmmm, that's one doomed space marine"

We meet again Dr. jones
09:08am 04/06/03 Permalink
imitation
Brisbane, Queensland
1254 posts
I can't really remember finding any game easter eggs, but i do remember thinking how cool it was in windows 95 when you made those folders inside each other on the desktop and it played the video(??was it a video??) from all the developers of windows 95. Also teen's easter egg is his dod map, just because...
09:21am 04/06/03 Permalink
Loki
Brisbane, Queensland
3209 posts
Max Payne, in the hotel level, where you stumble across the hookers secret business, taping clients behind their backs :p

That wasn't any hidden room.
There are a few hidden rooms in max payne that are hard to reach.

One that is fairly accessible is in the hotel, you go outside along the ledge and in another room is a dead guy on the floor with a stake in his back with
"BUFF~" (~ = unfinished letter) scrawled in blood next to it.

Its got lots of goodies in it, its out of the way area, so its more of a 'secret' room than a hidden/easter egg one.
10:29am 04/06/03 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
973 posts
the dopefish & rocket-jumping in quake... best bug evah.
11:35am 04/06/03 Permalink
GumbyNoTalent
Brisbane, Queensland
1778 posts
Original Donkey Kong Arcade Machine(8 bit)

1.) complete first level without dying.

2.) climb to the second top platform and jump off the end just as a barrel is starting to fall, fall to ground and die, barrel falls ontop of you while death animation still going die again. -2 lives from 3 = 1

3.) do step 2 again. -2 lives from 1 = -1 lives. Roll 8 bit register back twice to give 254 lives.
11:57am 04/06/03 Permalink
CaPt0
Brisbane, Queensland
3599 posts
www.eeggs.com is a site with lots listed.
11:59am 04/06/03 Permalink
riot'us
Brisbane, Queensland
1834 posts
The exploding sheep/pigs/seals in warcraft 2 were pretty cool :) and how the sheep said baa ram ewe. Also, that tv in Max Payne that is talking about Aisir corporation on the news and says its almost a bigger monopoly than Micro(*noise*) ... obviously supposed to be microsoft.
12:49pm 04/06/03 Permalink
Cailean
New South Wales
3016 posts
I reckon the little phrases the units have in warcraft3 they say if you repeatedly click on them are pretty humorous.
12:51pm 04/06/03 Permalink
[Q]
Brisbane, Queensland
6001 posts
Max payne. The dopefish.

You know that guy you chase over the roofs and on the train and s***. Well where you get to take him on for the last time you come out on a roof and there is a satallite dish (if I remember correctly) there is a basket ball court down from the roof too. There was a way to jump from the roof behind the bbal court and then you went into a door behind there and there was a dopefish sprayed onto the wall with "Dopefish lives" and a whole bunch of molotoves and grenades.

I havnt played max payne in so long that its a little shady but meh.

The buffy one was also quite cool :)
01:13pm 04/06/03 Permalink
[Q]
Brisbane, Queensland
6002 posts
I reckon the little phrases the units have in warcraft3 they say if you repeatedly click on them are pretty humorous.
Thats been a highlight of every warcraft game made :)
01:14pm 04/06/03 Permalink
d0mino
Brisbane, Queensland
581 posts
if rocket jumping was un intended, then that HAS to be the best dammed bug ever.
01:22pm 04/06/03 Permalink
Zylox
Brisbane, Queensland
185 posts
micrsoft motorcross madness one of the grassy levels ya drive up the banks on the side(just angle it right in the corner at full pace)and drive into the distance to ya hit the sky and you fly all the way bak to the middle of the map....
04:48pm 04/06/03 Permalink
GumbyNoTalent
Brisbane, Queensland
1789 posts
^^ all the level do that in Motocross madness when you hit the map boundary. It just seems more spectacular on the maps surrounded by cliffs...
05:11pm 04/06/03 Permalink
[Q]
Brisbane, Queensland
6004 posts
haha yeah exactly. Its a nice feature cause it looks so cool... Just to keep you from riding into the sun cowboy... (as gumby said)
08:15pm 04/06/03 Permalink
GeNociDe
Brisbane, Queensland
1310 posts
rocket jumping isnt a bug its a physics exploit.
08:23pm 04/06/03 Permalink
Carnrat
Brisbane, Queensland
61 posts
i think the most fun or most chaos ever caused by a gaming glitch was at one of brisbanes first ever gamer's competitions at the exibition grounds .

the bug was in Quake 1 run into a pond of water in dm32 whip out the lighting gun kill yourself with it in the water, get multiple frags .. rinse and repeat .. you should of heard the cries from the crowd as this exploit was being used ..

also the super arial flip that can b sometimes caused by crash's in Grand Prix Legends are prety fun as well .. and for those that havn't seen these things may i suggest you go here and dload a movie of it .. some people truly love this game as the #1 racing sim of all time .. http://www.racesimcentral.com/downloads/gpl/movies/movie1.shtml
08:29pm 04/06/03 Permalink
DaFuGG
Brisbane, Queensland
712 posts
some of the eggs in rise of the triads were awesome :)
08:32pm 04/06/03 Permalink
I'm Mister Burns
Gold Coast, Queensland
67 posts
I remember one in diablo where you could clone items by dropping them on the ground and just before you picked them up you click on a potion in your potion belt and the potion turns into the item on the ground. Not sure if thats and eegg, glitch or just plain cheat though :D
08:57pm 04/06/03 Permalink
Loki
Brisbane, Queensland
3215 posts
Carnrat, that wasn't a glitch or exploit in quake 1, it was a deliberate feature, using a *lightning* gun underwater, electrifies the water, kills you and anyone in it.
Makes sense to me.
It happened alot online play, the key was to just stay out of the water, if you couldn't do that you saaaaaaaarked :)

The only bad part was not being able to shoot the lightning gun from out of the water into it, and causing the same effects (but without killing you)
08:42am 05/06/03 Permalink
Dan
Brisbane, Queensland
5831 posts
Carnrat, that wasn't a glitch or exploit in quake 1, it was a deliberate feature, using a *lightning* gun underwater, electrifies the water, kills you and anyone in it.

Hey loki, your noob is showing.

Read, Comprehend, Post.
08:47am 05/06/03 Permalink
dRanged
Brisbane, Queensland
429 posts
strafe-running in quake
08:48am 05/06/03 Permalink
Loki
Brisbane, Queensland
3216 posts
Errr Dan, I dont know what your on about, because he is saying that using the lightning gun in the water to get multiple kills while killing yourself was a bug.
It wasn't an accident.
08:53am 05/06/03 Permalink
Dan
Brisbane, Queensland
5832 posts
Read, Comprehend, Post
11:17am 05/06/03 Permalink
Loki
Brisbane, Queensland
3217 posts
So much for you being a decent bloke.
Blocked and removed.

Whatever, I was wrong, don't need to be an uptight wanker about it.
11:32am 05/06/03 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
2620 posts
although not a bug but shadow warrior and the rabbit nuke rocket launcher always made me laugh
11:43am 05/06/03 Permalink
Dan
Brisbane, Queensland
5833 posts
So much for you being a decent bloke.
Blocked and removed.

haha, okay then.
11:50am 05/06/03 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
974 posts
Dan & CarnRat are referring to the lightning gun bug oin the early releases of the DEATH32A map. Where if you discharge in the water everyone who is even near ANY water on the whole map dies. It was exploited at the Armageddon3 competition & as CarnRat says ... there was a MAJOR upcry about it... hehehe :D
I was in my first free for all & coming second... then there was like 8 discharge deaths in a row & suddenly the guy that was coming 3rd last was leading by about 20frags!@!#!!@#! heheh.
11:56am 05/06/03 Permalink
GeNociDe
Brisbane, Queensland
1315 posts
Carnrat's post wasnt entirely clear on that. however dan has always been a f**.
12:09pm 05/06/03 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
5662 posts
International karate +++ on c64. If you spamed the keyboard, their pants would fall off. I never bothered to figure out the right keys, just mashed it.

For a overhead scrolling puzzle shooty game called Anarchy on 64, if you spam the keyboard it makes the tank get misaligned on the tile, so that it is half in one tile and half in the other. You could drive through walls by going up only. Spam it again and sometimes it would go back on track :D

In another game on the c64 called Judo. You can do a move that is a chop to face that results in a disqualify and it cains the other person tho :D
Further on that, if you are vsing the cpu and you attempt to do the move without hitting the fire button the CPU will do it to you.

12:18pm 05/06/03 Permalink
stalker
Brisbane, Queensland
1774 posts
the ability to still see where players are on your team & other team while lagged in a game.. (cs or ns) then ringing up the mates in ur team telling them where the other team is and what they are doing:P
12:26pm 05/06/03 Permalink
benneth
Brisbane, Queensland
313 posts
Fallen thru the world in GTA3...

yeh, gta3 is quite buggy.
02:40pm 05/06/03 Permalink
MaD_CoW
Brisbane, Queensland
99 posts

easter eggs on action half life r the best.. and weirdest
06:34pm 05/06/03 Permalink
Lithios
Brisbane, Queensland
187 posts

anyone got any servers for action quake 2?

having trouble finding some, all the old ones are down :(
08:06pm 05/06/03 Permalink
jebz
Brisbane, Queensland
332 posts
i liked selling my free men in C&C.
11:31pm 05/06/03 Permalink
skz
Brisbane, Queensland
218 posts
devious step!

umm.. prolly the horse power lag bug in nitto.. i made my dodge get 30k horse power then i ran it @ 4.3 seconds

11:53pm 05/06/03 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:53pm 05/06/03 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.