Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
oh oh - TCPA (Trusted Computing Platform Alliance)
darksheer
Brisbane, Queensland
17 posts
This link was sent to me by a friend, concering anybody who uses a computer in the future.. :(

Their stated goal is to create a new computing platform for nowadays, which should improve your
trust in the PC. For reaching their goal, they (mainly) created two things:

• TCPA hardware (the so called Fritz chipset)

• software (= Palladium) communicating with that hardware

• So, first of all, let us have a brief look at the hardware!
    In general, it's kind of a dongle soldered to your motherboard. You're used to a BIOS
    taking control of your PC's startup? Don't get used to that too much. In a not so distant future (2004)
    the TCPA hardware will take charge, when you turn on your PC. This onboard chipset checks the integrity of your boot ROM, executes it and measures the state of the machine. After that, it checks the booting process of your operating system. If the chipset detects a TCPA-compliant OS it will load and execute it. Furthermore, the chipset maintains a list of your hardware (means: soundcard, videocard etc.) and checks them for TCPA-compliance, too

It gets worse...
    http://www.notcpa.org/about.html
    04:10pm 15/12/02 Permalink
    system
    Internet
    --
    04:10pm 15/12/02 Permalink
    Rajha
    Brisbane, Queensland
    2931 posts
    scary, but as if thats going to happen. pentium 3ghz will last way way way into the future, and ill refuse to buy that s*** and so will everyone else, and guess what will happen then? THEY WILL GO OUT OF BUSINESS> so i dont think its going to happen+
    04:24pm 15/12/02 Permalink
    thrax
    Brisbane, Queensland
    1213 posts
    Sounds like a bunch of rubbish if you ask me!
    04:29pm 15/12/02 Permalink
    exo!
    Brisbane, Queensland
    4334 posts
    F*** them. F*** them right in the nostril.
    05:22pm 15/12/02 Permalink
    darksheer
    Brisbane, Queensland
    20 posts
    Well, the way I figure it, microsoft and nvidia and everyone else joining this plan will be muchly hated and realise soon after that any profit they were making will slowly drop just the same. But then again, if this is forced, what are we going to do, we're going to conform.

Ah well, life ends 2004.
    05:24pm 15/12/02 Permalink
    hast
    Brisbane, Queensland
    139 posts
    i dont see why tcpa is bad, its just a bunch of scaremongering
    05:40pm 15/12/02 Permalink
    Sugoi??
    Brisbane, Queensland
    3654 posts
    If it does get introduced, it'll just get hacked like every other piece of software.
    06:09pm 15/12/02 Permalink
    Sandman
    Brisbane, Queensland
    822 posts
    That better not happen. If it does, I know that I will be sticking to older hardware and software..
    06:13pm 15/12/02 Permalink
    Skitza
    Brisbane, Queensland
    1348 posts
    If it does get introduced, it'll just get hacked like every other piece of software.

This isnt software as such, its new hardware, hacking hardware isnt as easy.
    06:48pm 15/12/02 Permalink
    cainer
    Sydney, New South Wales
    406 posts
    do any of you noobs know what Divx was ?
    subscription DVD's - and that died in the ass in a big way and donated its name to the 2nd biggest piracy tool, divx :P

tcpa will die in that arse like that too, anyway, therell always be modchips, theres always smarter people out there then the programmers of copy protection s***, havent you lot noticed that yet?
    06:55pm 15/12/02 Permalink
    WhoopAss
    Brisbane, Queensland
    1855 posts
    yeah, it's alright saying you'll stick to old hardware, but what about new games and applications that will refuse to run without TCPA hardware? You'll have to upgrade sooner or later. What happens when your computer breaks?

I wouldn't mind buying a couple of p4's and mobo's and putting them in storage just in case hehe.
    12:25am 16/12/02 Permalink
    Eds
    Brisbane, Queensland
    4623 posts
    hacking hardware isnt as easy.

Tell that to microsoft and sony, both had a mod chip out 3 weeks after their latest consoles went on the market!
    12:29am 16/12/02 Permalink
    Scuzzy
    Brisbane, Queensland
    7650 posts
    This isnt software as such, its new hardware, hacking hardware isnt as easy.
    and a mod chip does what?

edit: beaten
    12:55am 16/12/02 Permalink
    shorty
    Queensland
    1 posts

as I can see, the only people that would buy into such a scheeme are people that have too much money and not enough brains, the few who have yet to touch a computer. they would only buy this because all they hear is "hacking is bad" blah blah blah...

once they have bought this i don't see them being able to go far as they can only contact other ones like themselves, and they too would be stupid enmough to fall for this

any companies who see this as a way to not get bum-raped will be bum-raped as their machines will crack a s*** each time they tried to get hold of more then the 20 or so people in the world using this mistake.. i personally can't wait to see this implemented and flop... see those member companies breathe a sigh of relief as it will all be over... this will be like microsofts new licencing scam.. i meen scheeme
    01:48am 16/12/02 Permalink
    Skitza
    Brisbane, Queensland
    1352 posts
    yeah its all good to mod your console,but not everyone mods there console.Bbut how many of you will mod your PC just for this ? how about just not buy it :D
    01:51am 16/12/02 Permalink
    Khel
    Brisbane, Queensland
    3932 posts
    but what about new games and applications that will refuse to run without TCPA hardware?

Well then those games aren't going to sell very well are they...
    02:21pm 16/12/02 Permalink
    Gobo
    Sydney, New South Wales
    1023 posts
    It's not going to go away in a hurry. Divx died in the arse because there was a viable alternative - DVDs.

AMD and Intel are on board. Microsoft is on board. Who is going to generate a viable alternative? Linux + Cyrix?

It might take longer than the TCPA would like, but it's getting underway already. Check your latest audigy drivers readme and you may find some interesting factoids about how creative is DRM ready, which ties heavily into the TCPA pitch.

Check out LaGrande too, if you're interested, it's Intel's initiative, separate from the palladium type stuff.
    02:31pm 16/12/02 Permalink
    Scuzzy
    Brisbane, Queensland
    7662 posts
    DVD died in the arse because there was a viable alternative - Divx's.
    Fixed it for you.
    02:34pm 16/12/02 Permalink
    verticalseafoodtaco
    Brisbane, Queensland
    674 posts
    so whats wrong with TCPA? if it means s*** like the 'infite loop' problem or many other similar problems never happen then im for it
    02:46pm 16/12/02 Permalink
    Spook
    Brisbane, Queensland
    1737 posts
    what infinate loop problem?
    03:04pm 16/12/02 Permalink
    system
    Internet
    --
    03:04pm 16/12/02 Permalink
    AusGamers Forums
    Show: per page
    This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.