Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - thoughts...
YETi
Brisbane, Queensland
629 posts
Well the second potter film is out...
i went and saw it yesterday with my gf... imho, it was a pretty good movie but some small things were left out in the movie that i found to be fairly important which were in the books.
overall the movie was really good.. the special effects (computer generated scenes in other words) were fairly good..
the spider scenes were awesome..

i'd rate the movie about an 8.5 out of 10.

i believe the book was still better than the movie but the movie was as good, if not better than the first movie.

thoughts on the movie??

p.s i aint a harry potter fan; gf loves them though...
12:39pm 02/12/02 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:39pm 02/12/02 Permalink
BoBa
Brisbane, Queensland
643 posts
book > movie
12:40pm 02/12/02 Permalink
Parag0n
Brisbane, Queensland
2161 posts
I enjoyed the film
12:41pm 02/12/02 Permalink
eYe_kAnDy
Brisbane, Queensland
3719 posts
Im going today with my work for freee!!

I've read all the books, i don't mind them. Although i don't like poms.
12:41pm 02/12/02 Permalink
Parag0n
Brisbane, Queensland
2162 posts
Still waiting for the fifth book to come out ! :(
12:42pm 02/12/02 Permalink
[Q]
Brisbane, Queensland
4334 posts
I think that youll find in almost all cases that the book was better than the movie. I dont think I have seen a film, which was based on a book, that could even compare to the original book.

THREAD HIJACK: Name any movies which in your mind have been as good or better than the book, maybe also the film which has been the biggest dissapointment as well?
12:53pm 02/12/02 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
2972 posts
I thought the movie was reasonably entertaining. It has a certain appeal, and had some cool schlocky acting.
12:54pm 02/12/02 Permalink
SquarkyD
Brisbane, Queensland
3595 posts
ur jus a broom flying spell casting harry potter nut arent ya yeti :P
12:55pm 02/12/02 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Brisbane, Queensland
2401 posts
I didn't mind the movie but it was fairly slow moving. And what's the deal with Ron Weasley? He always has some stupid scared look on his face, no matter what the situation. They need to get rid of the actor who played him and get someone new. I don't think I could watch any more of those movies if I knew he was still in them.

And one more thing, the story was good but poorly done. I haven't read the books but judging by the film there probably was heaps left out. It just seemed lots of things were quickly rushed in the scenes. Something seemed not right.

However, the movie was enjoyable to watch but I'll never sit through it again.
12:56pm 02/12/02 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
2973 posts
No, what's sad is that your intellect is too under-developed to recognise that a book is more than words on pieces of paper.
01:01pm 02/12/02 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Brisbane, Queensland
2402 posts
Stop quoting me teen, damn you.
01:12pm 02/12/02 Permalink
log[]
Brisbane, Queensland
72 posts
I liked it , and did anyone notice that potter uses a railgun shot to knock malfroy (slick head kid ?) about in their duel !
01:12pm 02/12/02 Permalink
Dan
Brisbane, Queensland
4829 posts
was okay i guess, allthough far too disney.

I dont remember there being so many pointless explainations aimed so kids dont miss any of the story in the last one.

I havent read the books so i dont give a s***, but these movies are hailed as kids movies with overtones for adults too?
Well, it's no Shrek, that's for sure.
01:24pm 02/12/02 Permalink
Metrix
Brisbane, Queensland
50 posts
I've read the first 2 books of the series and really enjoyed both movies... The first movie was 98% complete copy of the book and was excellent.

The second movie only hit on about 80% of the book leaving out some clues as too the ending as not to ruin the movie i suppose.

Did anyone else wait until after the credits to see the single short extra scene? Nothing special, not really worth the wait, but if your not in a hurry to leave, stick around to the end

**** WARNING SPOILER ******

Some example of missing info: in the book i think Harry sees a wizard in the scary shop in Diagon Alley purchasing something squarish, which turns out to be father malfoy buying the diary.

They also didn't go into detail about the sorting hat containing artifacts from all 4 houses and how Harry was able to retrieve the sword etc...

**** SPOILER FINISHED ******
**** SPOILER FINISHED ******

With that stated, I enjoyed the seconds movie as much as I did the first.

All the child actors need improvment. The adult actors are decent. The screenplay was ok and the special effects where awesome.

For those who think the special effects lack, it should be noted they was created by ILM (Idustrial Light and Magic) the best CG fx company in the world (I think it is a LUCAS company)

My 2c worth :)

01:30pm 02/12/02 Permalink
Skitza
Brisbane, Queensland
1254 posts
i thought it was really good. funny as well :D
01:32pm 02/12/02 Permalink
Excruci@ting
Brisbane, Queensland
1409 posts
i hate reading books
01:40pm 02/12/02 Permalink
neimad
Brisbane, Queensland
73 posts
Interesting movie, not as good as the Philosopher's Stone. Apart from the fact that it was half an hour too long and it's aimed at children it wasn't too bad.

The books are an excellent read and it's hard to believe that people would rather have plots spoon fed to them Hollywood-style.
01:50pm 02/12/02 Permalink
[Q]
Brisbane, Queensland
4335 posts
People who read books are sad.
Well, further proof that you are an unimaginable loss teen. Reading is a very worth while past time. Sure I agree, reading only fantasy is a bit of an odd past time but readin veried material and even readin non-fiction stuff is a very good way to boost general knowledge and worth while... Your just a narrow minded child.
02:39pm 02/12/02 Permalink
assassin
Brisbane, Queensland
117 posts
i bet the guy who said books are gay reads mags....
03:24pm 02/12/02 Permalink
Vorador
Brisbane, Queensland
805 posts
After being -dragged- along to see it
It was okay I guess
much like the first
not enough alan rickman for my liking
03:24pm 02/12/02 Permalink
Evil Greyden
Brisbane, Queensland
4886 posts
the only books worth reading are comix books!

sifnt superman.
03:59pm 02/12/02 Permalink
Psycho!
Brisbane, Queensland
1535 posts
I loved the books, I read them to my son in stages for bedtime stories. Were going to see it soon.

I wish Rowlings would get the fifth sucker out..but apparently word is that she's so loaded now $$ she has slacked off a lot and the publishers cant get her to meet deadlines ect..

grrr I reckon the way the fourth book finished the next installments are going to get 'darker' and even more appealing.
05:56pm 02/12/02 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Brisbane, Queensland
1510 posts
I wouldn't mind see it, however I am waiting for two towers
06:09pm 02/12/02 Permalink
[Q]
Brisbane, Queensland
4347 posts
Two towers is going to piss all over harry potter, but then, then just stating the obvious :)
06:13pm 02/12/02 Permalink
MIMEO
Sydney, New South Wales
149 posts
is it only me who realises this franchise is aimed at 12yos!!!??
06:15pm 02/12/02 Permalink
plok
Brisbane, Queensland
173 posts
Movie based on book that is as good as the book?

Only one I can think of off the top of my head is probably Fight Club.
07:01pm 02/12/02 Permalink
Parag0n
Brisbane, Queensland
2163 posts
The actor that plays dumbledore is dead right ?
07:12pm 02/12/02 Permalink
Erik-the-Red
Brisbane, Queensland
846 posts
yes, dumbledore (actor) died
yes, alan rickman is awesome and he needs more showing in the film
yes, it's a 12 year old's movie, but i quite enjoyed it
yes, graphics were good except for that f*****g pheonix!!#!#!#
and kenneth branagh was good as that teacher, even though his character was a wanker
07:49pm 02/12/02 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Brisbane, Queensland
2405 posts
Did anyone else nearly cry when the pheonix dropped his tears on Harrys arm? Very powerful moment.
09:33pm 02/12/02 Permalink
Hashy
New South Wales
273 posts
09:40pm 02/12/02 Permalink
ineffable
Brisbane, Queensland
2787 posts
The movie rocked, the book was better. But as far as book->movie conversions go it was as good as they get.
10:14pm 02/12/02 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
2976 posts
Oh My GOD, Neff liked a movie!!! :D
10:18pm 02/12/02 Permalink
ineffable
Brisbane, Queensland
2788 posts
Where'd that come from?
10:28pm 02/12/02 Permalink
pARODY
Brisbane, Queensland
31 posts
i enjoyed the books and have so far been happy with the movies.

<*** SPOILER ***>

It was sad tho that the whole scene from the book where the dursley's find out that harry can't do magic away from hogwarts and that they are terrified of him was left out.

Dobby was an awesome CG character. Better than JarJar was... mostly cause you didn't want to kill him for some stupid voice acting. the majority of the CG effects work was done by Framestore CFC(UK) with about 40 sub-contracts going out to other UK based visual effects companies.

For those of you who want to read more Potter fiction should check out www.schnoogle.com as its full off HP fan-fiction.

11:08pm 03/12/02 Permalink
OZFr0sT
Brisbane, Queensland
32 posts
The books were too descriptive for me, the movies i can live with, my 10 year old sister keeps dragging me to them, they aren't as bad as i thought though
11:12pm 03/12/02 Permalink
Eds
Brisbane, Queensland
4536 posts
I havnt read the books but i want to, chick at work wanted to go so that was a good excuse for me to go see it, cause i wanted too but none of my friends wanted to go..
11:58pm 03/12/02 Permalink
SacredSperm
Sydney, New South Wales
846 posts
and kenneth branagh was good as that teacher

Did you say...Kenneth Branagh?!@!#$
*has flashbacks of a certain FOUR F*****G HOUR VERSION OF HAMLET THAT SUCKED DONKEY BALLS!@$# I HATE YOU BRANAGH!@ I HAAAAATE YOU!@*
12:56am 04/12/02 Permalink
AnaRoT
Queensland
7173 posts

Alan Rickman is da MAN!
01:15am 04/12/02 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Brisbane, Queensland
2412 posts
Kenneth Branagh rocks hard. He was great in Harry Potter and everything else he does. Keep an eye out for a great movie coming out with him called, How To Kill Your Neighbours Dog. It's an excellent comedy/drama with him and Robin Wright-Penn. Can't tell you enough how good this movie is.
11:19am 04/12/02 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
1674 posts
the only moofie ive ever seen that was better than the book was silence of the lambs

the book had no intensity what so ever and the moofie had bucketloads;

oh and perhaps ferris buellers day off, but in that case the book was based on teh moofie, so it was off to a bad start!
01:30pm 04/12/02 Permalink
exo!
Brisbane, Queensland
4243 posts
Hagrid kicked ass. He's the best actor, best character, woot for Hagrid. Favourite quote from the movie:
Lockhart: Hello. Who are you?
Ron: Ron Weasley
Lockhart: Oh. And, er, who am I?
01:52pm 04/12/02 Permalink
stick
Brisbane, Queensland
927 posts
i saw harry potter 2 last thursday without having read the books or seen the first film. i really really enjoyed it so i hired the first one on DVD which was a little boring...

the second one however rules.

and as an aside, from what i hear LOTR was pretty similar to the book... ?
09:51am 05/12/02 Permalink
S@ppY
Brisbane, Queensland
16 posts

for Q - i beleive Toms Clancy's clear and Present danger was better on film than the book. Thoughts?
10:18am 05/12/02 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:18am 05/12/02 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.