Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Activision Takes Down King's Quest Fan Follow-Up
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
555 posts
From VE3D
There is no silver lining for The Silver Lining, what Phoenix Online Studios had intended to be a follow-up to the classic Sierra series, "King's Quest". After many years in development, the Phoenix team finally planned to release in Spring 2010. However, the Sierra IP is the property of Activision, and after a period of negotiations Activision decided that Phoenix would cease production of "The Silver Lining".

Back in 2005 when Vivendi owned the IP, a cease and desist letter was sent to Phoenix Online Studios. But eventually they were able to work out a non-commercial fan license with the company. All deals were taken off the table once the IP became the property of Activision.

Sadly, after eight years of dedicated work and even more dedicated fans, The Silver Lining project is closing down.

What the future holds for us, as individuals or a team, we cannot say. We have an amazing development team, however, filled with talented and hard-working individuals, and we hope the teamwork and rapport we’ve developed won’t go to waste. We hope that when we do know what the future holds for us, our fans will be there to enjoy what we can give them still.

Sad really, I've been waiting for this for a few years now, played the demo also. :( Hope somebody kept a copy and secretly releases it.
10:34pm 02/03/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:34pm 02/03/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
6132 posts
do you work for them or you don't know about quote tags?
10:38pm 02/03/10 Permalink
Plasma
994 posts
Seems dumb to throw away that work.
11:04pm 02/03/10 Permalink
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
557 posts
nah I don't know about quote tags.

I just copied and paste.

Build a bridge.
11:25pm 02/03/10 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
14352 posts
I like this quote from Tim Schaefer about Activision:

"Getting mad at Activision for this kind of thing is like getting mad at an ape for throwing feces," said Schafer. "It's just how the beast communicates."

Wasn't actually in relation to this specific piece of Activision d***ery, it was about all the wacky s*** going down at Infinity Ward, but it still works.
12:19am 03/03/10 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
1931 posts
Using quotes out of context is exactly how news.com.au has made their money.
That said I imagine the great StarQuest fan based game if ever was to actually eventuate would meet a similar demise.
Sucks when fans actually go out on a limb because someone said something thinking "those kids won't ever do anything respectable" and then have to change their stance last minute because they were wrong :(
01:58am 03/03/10 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
10097 posts
nah I don't know about quote tags.

I just copied and paste.

Build a bridge.
Ignorance isn't an excuse. It's not acceptable to just paste paragraphs verbatim here without crediting the original source article - (yes, even if it's news .com.au)

Have edited the OP to correct.
09:10am 03/03/10 Permalink
Hyperslide
Melbourne, Victoria
250 posts
FFS I had been waiting for that !
Well I hope after they have shut them down they do something with the work. or at least do a remake
03:24pm 03/03/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:24pm 03/03/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.