Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Dr WHO returns to tv.
Dazzagc
Gold Coast, Queensland
1305 posts
09:55am 13/08/12 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:55am 13/08/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19737 posts
Well, for a start, Doctor Who has been back on tv for like 6 years now, and that story is about a movie thats being made about the guy who created Doctor Who, not actually a Doctor Who movie.
10:00am 13/08/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
7967 posts
Haha, well, at least he got the link to the article correct?
11:02am 13/08/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5987 posts
To be fair, Season 7 has been confirmed;

Rumoured to be airing around the 23~25th of August... so not long...
11:14am 13/08/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9189 posts

11:21am 13/08/12 Permalink
Cheez
Brisbane, Queensland
691 posts
Rumoured to be airing around the 23~25th of August... so not long...

Sunday 26th 6am Qld Time
11:49am 13/08/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15715 posts
scooter that's an old trailer. here's the new one. i can't wait for the new season.

11:56am 13/08/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
20812 posts
Wow! Who's that red headed chicky babe? She's gorgeous.
12:15pm 13/08/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
5988 posts
Yeah, probably. I knew it was confirmed, that was the first google hit.
12:16pm 13/08/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15717 posts
Wow! Who's that red headed chicky babe? She's gorgeous.

karen gillan

12:20pm 13/08/12 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
20813 posts
Hmm. The lower half of her legs are a bit skinny. Needs to work on her calf muscles but apart from that she's not bad at all.
12:48pm 13/08/12 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
17083 posts
haha rev, funny but true
12:52pm 13/08/12 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
7930 posts
New Doctor Who companion unveiled - Jenna-Louise Coleman

01:13pm 13/08/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20416 posts
edit: ^^ what. She seems like one of those beauty pageant girls who just churns out old and cliche answers to interview questions.

what the hell was with scooter's video? Felt like I was watching westworld or cowboys vs aliens?
02:33pm 13/08/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7288 posts
edit: ^^ what. She seems like one of those beauty pageant girls who just churns out old and cliche answers to interview questions.what the hell was with scooter's video? Felt like I was watching westworld or cowboys vs aliens?

He is the time travelling doctor, can kind of go anywhere remember, with all sorts of weird stuff happening.

I'm actually starting to like Matt Smith as the Doctor. He kind of grows on you, though I was quite resistant to begin with, as you can never replace David Tennant. The last season was spectacular, with amazing writing for the story and events to wind up how they were.

Seeing Amy Pond go will be sad, she was quite a good companion though I think Rory stole a lot of her time when he was introduced, especially when he became a Spartan. This new companion seems...interesting, will just have to wait and see how she acts I guess.

Also here is a nawww video

06:47pm 13/08/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15774 posts
season 7 premieres on september 1.
07:16pm 23/08/12 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8156 posts
Needs more David Tenant.
08:27pm 23/08/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15800 posts
ABC TV is thrilled to announce that in true time-lord style, the first episode of Season 7 of Doctor Who, “Asylum of the Daleks”, will now premiere on iview Sunday, 2 September from 5.10am EST immediately after its UK launch on 1 September.

The new series of Doctor Who, including “Asylum of the Daleks”, then starts on ABC1 the following Saturday, 8 September at 7.30pm EST, and is also repeated on ABC2 from Tuesday, 11 September at 9.30pm EST.

each new episode will air on iview 1 week earlier than broadcast tv.

last edited by ravn0s at 18:05:23 28/Aug/12
06:04pm 28/08/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7392 posts
That was friggin awesome as usual. Really starting to like Matt Smith as The Doctor, though obviously Tennant will always be my favourite. Spoiler:
The new "companion" was actually that Dalek mastermind, so that kind of confuses me as to how she could be the next companion, unless she gets rescued or something.
Can't wait for more, be good to see the dinosaur in space one.

last edited by Eorl at 10:12:30 02/Sep/12
10:06am 02/09/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15838 posts
yeah i thought she looked familiar, then i realised she's his next companion. i wonder how he saves her.
12:31pm 02/09/12 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
6019 posts
Time is a big ball of wibbley wobbly timey-wimey . . . . stuff.

So obviously he just goes back in time and meets her somewhere and saves her.
12:36pm 02/09/12 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
4765 posts
A wizard did it, basically the same way everything happens in Dr Who.
12:41pm 02/09/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7395 posts
A wizard did it, basically the same way everything happens in Dr Who.

Wizards, Dalek and Cybermen. I want to see a wizard in Doctor Who actually, would be interesting...
12:44pm 02/09/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15839 posts
Time is a big ball of wibbley wobbly timey-wimey . . . . stuff.

So obviously he just goes back in time and meets her somewhere and saves her.

obviously. i hope there will be more to it than that though.

last edited by ravn0s at 12:49:18 02/Sep/12
12:45pm 02/09/12 Permalink
Cheez
Brisbane, Queensland
697 posts
Awesome ep, also some shorts as a prequel on the official site and youtubes "Pond Life" 5 parts about 1min each.
01:54pm 02/09/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20532 posts
he can't interfere in his own time stream, if he saves her before she becomes a dalek then she won't be there to save him now. She told him to remember her, like the doctor told amy to remember him and rory when that crack in time erased everyone. I'm guessing it'll be some stupid thing like that again. As long as you remember someone they can always be brought back, etc. I forget which episode it's actually in.
04:46pm 02/09/12 Permalink
eXemplar
Brisbane, Queensland
2800 posts
I think it's about time he had a new companion, really
05:08pm 02/09/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20533 posts
I don't mind amy, rory's a bit of the cliche whiney sidekick though.
05:33pm 02/09/12 Permalink
Cheez
Brisbane, Queensland
699 posts
I read somewhere ages ago (cant remember where) about continuing seasons and Matt Smith is signed on for this and another, next one has new companion who is meant to carry over to another Doctor by the season after.
07:20pm 02/09/12 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1672 posts
So is it worth downloading and watching the seasons with Matt Smith? To get up to date then watch this one? How many are there?
08:00pm 02/09/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7396 posts
So is it worth downloading and watching the seasons with Matt Smith? To get up to date then watch this one? How many are there?
Two seasons with Matt Smith, and I'd say they are worth it. He has his own spin on The Doctor, where he'll have a surprise ending that you don't see coming. I like him, he has grown on me when I initially was quite distant of wanting someone besides David Tennant.

I'm thinking this new companion will come into play by being either rescued by how Whoop said, or he'll somehow get her from the alternate universe or something.
08:22pm 02/09/12 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
7095 posts
I got over season six before it ended. Was becoming to annoyingly repetitive with silly "twists" all over the shop. Steven Moffat had kinda ruined it for me since he became head writer.

This first episode was good though. I hope Amy and Rory go. Been around for too long. Not a huge fan of them really.
08:44pm 02/09/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20540 posts
where he'll have a surprise ending that you don't see coming.

Except they're not really his endings, he doesn't write the story :)

For the record, I saw the ending to this one coming a mile away.
09:44pm 02/09/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15842 posts
I don't mind amy, rory's a bit of the cliche whiney sidekick though.

the lone centurion is awesome.
09:54pm 02/09/12 Permalink
Zen Apathy
Brisbane, Queensland
3614 posts
yeah i thought she looked familiar, then i realised she's his next companion. i wonder how he saves her.

He doesn't have to save her. He might meet her in her past before he meets her in the Asylum of the Daleks. Though it would seem odd that she didn't recognise him. Or perhaps less likely she plays another character. It's not like they haven't done that sort of thing before just not in the new series Colin Baker played Commander Maxil and the 6th incarnation of the Doctor.
08:05am 03/09/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15843 posts
the companion's called cara oswin so maybe the oswin in this episode is just a descendant.
08:20am 03/09/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20542 posts
or it'll turn out he transported her (as a dalek) off the asylum & stuck her in the teselector, dalek & all.
05:22pm 03/09/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
19844 posts
I'm thinking it'll be something like her conciousness still exists somewhere in that telepathic web they briefly talked about that links all the daleks, and the Doctor will find a way to get it back and she end up uploaded into one of those flesh bodies or some kind of android or something.
05:24pm 03/09/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20545 posts
stranger things have happened khel, he "saved" river song by downloading her into his screwdriver, then uploading her into the library computer or some such nonsense. Like this:

We should start a pool on this.

My guesses are (as previously stated):
A) He does that magical staring into the untempered schism thing and remembers her back to life / pulls a doctor-donna & recreates her from a small part of her DNA he stole
B) Teselector.
05:34pm 03/09/12 Permalink
copuis
Brisbane, Queensland
3151 posts
http://www.news.com.au/technology/doctor-who-new-season-premiere-smashes-abcs-iview-record-in-bid-to-stop-piracy/story-e6frfro0-1226464114699

hope this shows people how best to deal with piracy

(ie, make it available and we aussie will watch it, hold it back for weeks/months, and we will download it)
05:52pm 03/09/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
15852 posts
i liked this persons idea

Spoiler:
So looking back at the episode there were two points hinting at something else: She says 'Remember' to to him twice in their last exchange: "Remember me", then "Run you clever boy, and remember", with a turn and a knowing look/smile at the camera.

Ok, so what can we make from that? Well...the Doctor took off his wristband so although the Dalek nanobots apparently couldn't change him, they should still have infected him.
Now I understand the Christmas ep, when Clara joins him, has been described as a 'Ghost Story'?
If so then maybe Oswin was able to transfer her conciousness and info on her human genetics into those bots idling within the Doctor, and the Christmas Ghost will be Oswin getting the the Doctor to figure that out and have him somehow regenerate her human body ("Save me boy, and show me the stars")

06:19pm 03/09/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20547 posts
I can come up with crazy theories too

Rory and Amy were talking about having a baby and the doctor has described himself as a man with a blue box, the dalek girl called him a clever boy and told him to "remember me".

There's a song by blueboy called "remember me" and it's all about "having your baby". i.e. therefore, ergo, dalek girl reprogrammed the nanobot things to enable Amy to have kids again, injecting her own DNA into Amy's eggs. Amy will be the proud mother of the new companion.
06:33pm 03/09/12 Permalink
Boxhead
Brisbane, Queensland
12375 posts
I'd say the Amy-Baby link thing is significant.. Since it was a pretty awkward scene on its merits.. OMG DIVORCE then TEARS then I LOVE YOU RORY AGAIN thingo.. must have some significance :)
06:39pm 03/09/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
7404 posts
Would make sense with how much emphasis they put on Amy and Rory being unable to give birth. Though I'm not sure if those nanobots can reverse engineer a human soul/memory.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/doctor-who-new-season-premiere-smashes-abcs-iview-record-in-bid-to-stop-piracy/story-e6frfro0-1226464114699hope this shows people how best to deal with piracy (ie, make it available and we aussie will watch it, hold it back for weeks/months, and we will download it)

Was actually quite good watching it on the iView, would just like a HD option if possible (may have skipped over it/not seen it). Doubt it will stop people harping on about pirating and then not doing anything about it. We've already seen how making things cheap (Louis C.K's comedy for $5) and companies still not bothering.
06:47pm 03/09/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20549 posts
fyi I was kidding, but if that's actually how this goes down, I'm buying a lottery ticket because I can see the future
how much emphasis they put on Amy and Rory being unable to give birth
I would bloody hope rory was unable to give birth. haha
06:52pm 03/09/12 Permalink
I3ighead
Brisbane, Queensland
8 posts
I love doctor who.
12:15pm 01/11/12 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
1291 posts
I love random posts ^^
02:12pm 01/11/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2756 posts
When's it coming back!? Its been like a month since the last ep!
11:05pm 01/11/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16109 posts
there's a christmas episode in december and then it wont be back until sometime next year.
11:06pm 01/11/12 Permalink
Zakson
Gold Coast, Queensland
287 posts
No more Ponds right? The angels got them?

Seemed like a really boring way to go, so I'm guessing there's going to be some twist with a paradox that brings them back somehow.
12:10am 02/11/12 Permalink
csirac
Brisbane, Queensland
2758 posts
how dare they come back with a season of only ~5 episodes then go on hiatus!
01:10am 02/11/12 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
7103 posts
Stupid mid season break things. Whyyyyyy.
08:26am 02/11/12 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
13017 posts

Yeh the Ponds are out now.
Spoiler:
new companion chick is the one who found out she was turned into a dalek on the prison planet

Smith is OK, at least he doesn't ruin it. I still miss Tennant, he's like the Baker of our times, unsure if he can be topped now.

Also is it just me or is the doctor gradually trending younger with every reincarnation? :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/80/Versions_of_the_Doctor.jpg
09:38am 02/11/12 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
8040 posts
I liked Tennant, but I don't really miss him. Tennant could get overly sappy at times, Smith seems a little more brilliant/insane. I don't like Smith more, but I think it was a good change.

Seemed like a really boring way to go, so I'm guessing there's going to be some twist with a paradox that brings them back somehow.

Nah, they're gone. And the Angels didn't "get them." I mean, yeah, they sent them back, but they just lived the rest of their lives together at some point in the past.

They MIGHT get a cameo later, like Rose did when 10 was regenerating into 11, but I wouldn't count on any more than that.
10:59am 02/11/12 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
6735 posts
It made no sense to me why he couldn't just go back and visit them in the past and continue on their merry adventures. Though I don't really get the rules if there any, I'm not a huge Doctor Who fan despite the avatar.
12:13pm 02/11/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20110 posts
They said in the episode, cos of all the s*** they pulled to escape and all the crazy paradoxes that caused, the time they're stuck in is like an impenetrable maelstrom of wibbly wobbly timey whimey stuff that can't be navigated through.
12:42pm 02/11/12 Permalink
Zakson
Gold Coast, Queensland
288 posts
Yeah the Tardis thing can't land there anymore, and if he forces it then it'll tear the universe apart.

I know they live out their days together and all that, but it's essentially them being killed off. Lame way to go. And it was after the Doctor had said "never them!" to the father and all.

Should've just had them decide to live normal lives, sad writing for the sake of sad is bad.
12:45pm 02/11/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16113 posts
the ponds were sent back to the 1930's, lets say 1935. the doctor said he couldn't go back to 1935 because it would destroy the universe due to the paradoxes at that time. why couldn't he go back and get them at 1940? there wouldn't be any paradoxes then would there?
12:55pm 02/11/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
20842 posts
Rivers vortex manipulator could get her through so he could have used that. So many plot holes in that episode you could drive a fleet of trucks through.
01:37pm 02/11/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20112 posts
Cos its a tv show about time travel and stories about time travel never hold up under scrutiny. Just go with the flow!
03:20pm 02/11/12 Permalink
Nerf Lord
Brisbane, Queensland
6738 posts
My rule with doctor who has had to have been not to question anything, just roll with it, and skip half of the episodes involving latex monsters.
04:02pm 02/11/12 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
4814 posts
Cos its a tv show about time travel
Barely, i think of it more as using time travel as a gimmick to set up stories in different universes, hell i think it would be better if they just called it sliders and never had to bother with the stupid way Dr Who handles "time travel", basically its only consistent when the writers want to "blow your mind", any other time.. meh who cares no one was paying attention anyway.

But yeah basically turn your brain off and just go with the flow, forget it when its over, popcorn tv.
05:33pm 02/11/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21079 posts
Thread necromancy GO!

Just saw the Christmas episode. Not really that impressed to be honest. If he's determined to spend his days in isolation, why is he sitting on a cloud above earth? Why not just go park the tardis on an uninhabitable planet?

Super snow mirrors the thoughts of whoever is strongest in the area? Wouldn't that mean anyone who is alone and thinking about something would have their thoughts mirrored? Why only that one boy and Oswin? Straxx (or whatever his name is) is always talking about war & stuff, why didn't the snowmen give him one?

so.many.plot.holes.
12:02pm 27/12/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9703 posts
That\ was plain stupid last night.
I watched ten mins and that was enough.
Whats with the Sontaran ?
Is that a Gay Sontaran ?
(not that theres anything wrong with that)

When i see Matt Smith it reminds me of Nerfy lol
12:25pm 27/12/12 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
4864 posts
Its salty tears of an entire family crying on christmas!
Jesus this show is f*****g stupid sometimes (all the time)
12:27pm 27/12/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21082 posts
Its salty tears of an entire family crying on christmas!Jesus this show is f*****g stupid sometimes (all the time)

The original was cheesy as hell, this new one just keeps getting more and more like a soap opera. What's with all the companions kissing the doctor, and him falling in love with them?

Like sands through the time rotor, these are the days of our regeneration #11.
12:54pm 27/12/12 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8322 posts
Well that was a weird episode. Major spoilers below for anyone that hasn't watched the Christmas episode. Definitely one of the more criss-cross episodes than usual.

I think there are two possible reasons for this new companion:

She is the embodiment of a Dalek, and can therefore travel through time and space upon her will. In the first episode we met her, she was inside a Dalek body and the Doctor never actually saw her. In this one she is in an actual body, and same with the third one shown at the end. Either her being a Dalek is allowed her to move through time and space at will (Dalek never seem to cease) or;

She is just a voice, travelling through bodies. She is able to go through time at will and this episode kind of pointed at that with the Doctor exclaiming something about her voice and how it was the same both times. This would allow her to be at both points in time and also able to utter the same words.

Or it could just be all blamed on Moffat.
10:27pm 27/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16430 posts
i really enjoyed the ep. it was like a fairy tale set in the doctor who universe.

i also really like the new companion. i think i might even like her more than amy. it will be interesting to find out how she's the same person in different times.

last edited by ravn0s at 22:34:26 27/Dec/12
10:33pm 27/12/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21088 posts
Everyone's hoping it'll be something awesome, I'm not getting my hopes up too high. It's the same kind of story like with Donna.

Donna was drawn to the TARDIS (runaway bride) then the doctor left her behind and a little while later she was "drawn back to him" i.e. she parked her car right next to where he landed. Then when she touched his hand and the 2nd doctor grew he said something all through time & space was drawing them together and she was the most important person in the universe.

Next doctor comes along and Amy's house has a crack in the wall, long story short something drew the TARDIS to Amy's time and blew it up, causing the crack, doctor says Amy is the most important person in the universe.

New girl shows up, somehow as a air hostess or something turned Dalek, now as a bar wench / governess and he thinks she's the most important girl in the universe

see where this is going?

S***'s getting old yo. Whatever happened to the good old days when the companions were just people? People who wandered into the box by mistake or people who needed rescuing from something, saw how awesome s*** was so decided to stay for a bit. Now it's like he needs an excuse to have these people around him. Oh they're here because they're somehow important. They can't just be there for the fun of it, oh no! They're somehow important to the story.

They should start calling it Companion Who, since it seems to be more about them now than the doctor.
11:10pm 27/12/12 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
9705 posts
jesus, Id rather watch a real Soap like Bold and the Beautiful thx.
cant believe Ridge quit >.<
11:38pm 27/12/12 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
16431 posts
he never said she was the most important person in the universe. he just thought it was impossible for the exact same person to exist in different times so he's gone off to find her.

having a mystery surrounding the female companions is moffats sort of thing.

last edited by ravn0s at 10:55:24 28/Dec/12
10:54am 28/12/12 Permalink
Whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
21092 posts
I never said he said it, I said he's thinking it. Give it time though, I'm sure eventually he'll actually say it at some point.
02:44pm 28/12/12 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
20449 posts
Quick, I have to rush and tell the internet how completely unrealistic this story of a thousand year old alien who travels through time and space in a telephone box is!

Just enjoy it for what it is, this is already starting to sound like the Walking Dead thread all over again =/

I thought it was a fun episode, a bit on the corny side, but the christmas specials are nearly always a bit on the corny side.
12:08am 29/12/12 Permalink
RyanSmith
Cairns, Queensland
1 posts
This is good news but it is not possible for me to watch this show on tv. So i often watch this show online.
07:24pm 04/01/13 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
34874 posts
like most of us do with all of the television shows we watch?
08:18pm 04/01/13 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
8403 posts
+1 for Companion Who only if it contains Karen Gillan.
08:36pm 04/01/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:36pm 04/01/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.