With Blizzard noting
that this surprise update to the game is "the first of multiple updates coming this year for Warcraft III: Reforged
". As a remaster of one of the most celebrated RTS games of all-time, Reforged launched to a lukewarm response from critics and some sizable backlash from fans due to it failing to live up to the promise of a worthy remaster.
Our review was a little kinder
, in that playing through the campaign was still a blast - but it was hard not to overlook the lack of promised features, broken multiplayer, and some questionable visual upgrades. The last Patch proper for Warcraft III: Reforged was released in April of 2021, which beings us to today: and Patch 1.33.0.
Which brings Ranked Play, Leaderboards, and other stuff that was a part of Warcraft III prior to the Reforged launch. "It’s been some time since we’ve provided an update on Warcraft III: Reforged," writes Blizzard. "Many of you have asked for us to support some of the features which were a part of the original Warcraft III experience. We’re pleased to announce that our upcoming patch 1.33.0 will include Ranked Play, Player Profiles, Leaderboards, and a few additional updates."
What's even more interesting is that the post is signed "The Warcraft III Team" which implies that Blizzard has a team working on Warcraft III: Reforged again. The Classics team, which originally worked on this and the well received StarCraft remaster was disbanded after the launch of Reforged.
Here are the full Patch Notes - which are now live on the PTR.
Warcraft III: Reforged Patch Notes
- Players may now choose between Ranked and Unranked Play.
- Seasons are now available. When a Season ends, the ladder will reset, and players will be able to see their history via their Profile and the Leaderboards.
- Your matchmaking rating (MMR) is unique for race, including Random.
- To be placed, players must play 5 placement matches per race.
- After playing a Ranked Match, you’ll be taken to a post-game screen which will display your MMR change and rankings.
- The available Ranks are: Unranked, Combatant, Challenger, Rival, Duelist, Elite, Gladiator, Champion
- Players can now view their rank in the Leaderboard section, which can be accessed from the Versus screen.
- In the Leaderboard, you can filter by user-names, and sort between race and mode.
- You can now access your profile by right-clicking on the player icon at the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Access other players’ profiles by right-clicking on their name and selecting “View Profile”.
- Numerous tuning and balance adjustments have been made to multiple campaign maps.
Stay tuned as we'll bringing you more news on Warcraft III as more updates arrive.