You remember projectors, right? They were all the rage in the early naughties -- everyone knew someone
who had one, and we all
hated that person. Unlike 3D TVs though, projectors haven't really died and gone to bulb heaven, rather they've been sitting in the shadows waiting for a chance to pounce and finally put those varying range and size TVs in their place, with Sony
range leading the charge.
And two is always better than one. That's why news of the resurgence of the projector, especially in the native 4K (heh) projection race, via two new VPL offerings from Sony is pretty awesome. If someone can dim the lights, we've got a PowerPoint preso we can run through the VPL-VW890ES
with all the info and specs you need:
Sony has today announced two new native 4K (4096 x 2160) home cinema projectors, the VPL-VW890ES and VPL-VW290ES, powered by the powerful processor “X1™ for projector”. This powerful picture processor based on technology used for Sony’s BRAVIA TV range is optimised for projectors.
This processor combines innovative technologies for high-precision frame analysis, enabling unique features like Dynamic HDR Enhancer and Reality Creation. The VPL-VW890ES 2,200lm laser model with premium All-Range Crisp Focus (ARC-F) lens and VPL-VW290ES 1,500lm lamp model offer immersive viewing experiences that deliver the creator’s true intent with real-world detail and texture in best contrast for the consumer, integrator, and custom installation (CI) channels.
“Whether experiencing movies or plunging into a game, customers are increasingly looking to enjoy immersive entertainment experiences from their own homes. Sony’s native 4K SXRD projectors have been leading the way in providing these experiences for nearly a decade. Today we are pleased to announce two new exciting additions to our market leading line-up of home cinema projectors,” said Anna Tan, Home Cinema Product Manager for Sony Australia & New Zealand. “With the introduction of the VW890ES and VW290ES, we continue to demonstrate our commitment to developing solutions that provide big screen and dynamic viewing experiences in the home.”
VPL-VW890ES & VPL-VW290ES (Shared features)
VPL-VW890ES (Key Feature)
- Dynamic HDR Enhancer: Due to the processing power of the newly installed X1™ for projector, further detailed analysis is performed and HDR enhancement power has increased compared to previous models. This enhanced HDR feature analyses each scene to deliver the best contrast performance when viewing HDR content, making the bright scenes brighter and the dark scenes darker. The dynamic range of contrast and brightness is further expanded by linking with the laser and iris[i].
- Sony’s Unique Super Resolution “Reality Creation” Technology: the X1™ for projector picture processor analyses each scene to enrich 4K content and real-world detail and texture. Even content filmed in 2K or Full HD is upscaled close to 4K.
- Native 4K SXRD panel: Both models offer 4096 x 2160 4K resolution images with 8.8 million pixels for an incredibly lifelike picture. With rich, inky blacks as well as clear cinematic motion and image smoothness, these projectors can reproduce vibrant colours with more tones and textures than a standard projector system.
- Edge to Edge Image Quality: The VPL-VW890ES uses an ARC-F lens which delivers pristine image quality across the entire screen. This large-aperture lens adopts an all-glass design for its 18 elements, including six extra low dispersion (ELD) elements. This ensures optimal convergence of the red, green, and blue primaries even at the extreme edges of the screen ensuring a clear and vivid image wherever you look.
The VPL-VW890ES and VPL-VW290ES replace the VPL-VW870ES and VPL-VW270ES respectively. The VW890ES & VW290ES also feature input lag reduction mode which dramatically improves the performance of the display reaction speed to ensure gamers can enjoy the best possible experience alongside the breathtakingly detailed image quality they have come to expect.
Pricing and Availability
- VPL-VW890ES AUD SRP$38,999 // NZD SRP$42,999
- VPL-VW290ES AUD SRP$8,999 // NZD SRP$9,999
- Both models will be available from May 2021
- The VPL-VW290ES model will be available in two colour options: black or white
Well, at least one thing hasn't changed in all the years the projector has been illuminating a room -- price. Sorry anyone who manages to get one of these to show off to friends, you're maybe going to wind up in that group of people we mentioned earlier.