As per a new report by GamesIndustry.biz
physical game sales not only continue to be a thing here in Australia but 2020 saw boxed game sales increase 15% over 2019. That said digital saw massive gains with a rise of 68% which includes Steam, Xbox Live, PSN, and the Nintendo eShop. In terms of the big sellers, Animal Crossing: New Horizons
was the best-selling game followed by Grand Theft Auto 5
Which means there are still people out there that haven't played Grand Theft Auto 5 -- and there's a lot of them. The report, which takes numbers from GSD, doesn't include digital sales from Nintendo or Bethesda.
Here's the Top 20 Video Games (Digital + Physical) sales for 2020 in Australia. With physical sales topping 8.5 million and digital sales 7.3 million games sold.
1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo)
2. Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
3. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (Activision Blizzard)
4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Activision Blizzard)
5. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)
6. FIFA 21 (EA)
7. Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)
8. The Last of Us Part 2 (Sony)
9. NBA 2K20 (2K Games)
10. NBA 2K21 (2K Games)
11. Ghost of Tsushima (Sony)
12. Just Dance 2020 (Ubisoft)
13. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (Ubisoft)
14. FIFA 20 (EA)
15. Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
16. Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Nintendo)
17. Cyberpunk 2077 (Bandai Namco/CD Projekt)
18. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 (Activision Blizzard)
19. Minecraft: Switch edition (Mojang)
20. Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo)
As per above it was also a big year for Call of Duty, showing that the previous installment has legs long enough to reach the launch of the newest CoD. In terms of big AAA single-player titles Sony's The Last of Us Part 2 and Ghost of Tsushima make an appearance, alongside the December release of Cyberpunk 2077.
Still though, Grand Theft Auto 5's continued success is insane.