And it all looks promising, with a wide range of meaningful updates including new modes, quests, Vault Raids, and features. Broken up into various seasons, starting with Wild Appalachia next month, Fallout 76 finally delivers on offering up a glimpse at the future that isn't simply a string of bug-fixes and reactionary updates. There's even confirmation that new factions will be arriving alongside a new main quest-line.
After its, well, disastrous launch plagued by issues and bugs the lack of information about future content coming to Fallout 76 left us worried that perhaps Bethesda would be giving up on the title. Or quietly shift its attention and focus elsewhere. A fair conclusion to draw after not hearing anything for three-months for what is an online 'live service'. Outside of regular bug-fix patches it's good to see that Fallout 76 will evolve in the coming months.
We know the game had a difficult launch, and we’ve made mistakes along the way. We share in your frustrations when we do. We’ll probably make a few more, and when we do, we will work to correct them as quickly as possible. Know that we’re fully dedicated to making this game the best it can be - and even more so, a platform for endless Fallout adventures for years to come.
The three themed updates will see almost weekly content drop - and are titled Wild Appalachia, Nuclear Winter, and Wastelanders.
RELEASE: SPRING 2019
A mythical beast, a lost generation of scouts, and the strongest brew this side of the wasteland. Welcome to Wild Appalachia – a series of new quests, features, events, crafting systems and more starting on March 12 and appearing over several weeks. Wild Appalachia includes:
- New Quests: Shear Terror! – Uncover the ‘encryptid’ secrets of Appalachia in a new series of quests and encounters to separate monsters from myths.
- New Quests: Ever Upwards – Journey to the deepest reaches of the woods with new stories for the legendary Pioneer Scouts. Earn merit badges, climb the ranks, and earn a customizable backpack for increased utility.
- New Features: Legendary Vendor and Scrapping – Locate the mysterious Purveyor to exchange and scrap your unwanted legendary items for new legendary gear. For every star rating on a legendary item you scrap, increase your chances to get the legendary weapon or armor of your dreams.
- New Features: C.A.M.P. Decorating, Player Vending, Functional Camera – Use items from your stash to decorate your C.A.M.P. Build vending machines and flag items for sale. Simply set your prices and walk away to continue your adventures in Appalachia, being sure to capture all your favorite memories using the new functional camera. The vending machines do all the work, you just need to count the caps.
- New Features: Brewing and Distilling – Go on a new quest to discover the secrets of the forbidden brew Nukashine and bring the party back to your C.A.M.P with new brewing and distilling systems and recipes.
New Seasonal Event: Fasnacht Parade – Chase away Old Man Winter and quicken the coming of spring with the ancient festival of Fasnacht! Join the celebration and complete this new limited-time event to earn unique rewards in the form of festive Fasnacht Masks.
- New Game Mode: Survival – This all-new game mode brings a higher-stakes PvP experience with fewer restrictions, increased rewards, and new challenges plus all the original content of Adventure Mode.
RELEASE: SUMMER 2019
Summer will bring another series of major updates to Fallout 76, including Nuclear Winter - an entirely new way to play that changes the rules of the wasteland.
- New Game Mode: Nuclear Winter – An entirely new way to play Fallout 76, completely changing the rules of the Wasteland.
- New Vault Raids: Vaults 96 and 94 Opening – For our most seasoned players, test your strength in all new high-level group Vault Raids.
- New Feature: Legendary Players – An all-new prestige system will allow players above level 50 to become Legendary, resetting their characters with all new more powerful abilities.
RELEASE: FALL 2019
Embark on a tale with true choice and consequences in Wastelanders – our biggest and most ambitious update for 76. Wastelanders will include a new main questline, new factions, new events, new features and even more surprises.
Yeah, it's actually quite impressive in the sheer number of updates coming. Where outside of the big stuff like Vault raids, there's plenty of things we though we might never see. Like true C.A.M.P. decorating and a vendor system that makes sense. Wild Appalachia is set to kick-off on March 12.