As a pure gaming display the BenQ EX2780Q is uniformly excellent and another winner for the well-known brand.
BenQ EX2780Q Gaming Monitor Review
Baldur's Gate is coming back in a big way, we sit down with Jeff Hattem, Studio Head of Tuque Games, the Wizards of the Coast studio behind Dark Alliance.
Dark Alliance Interview - Baldur’s Gate Triumphantly Returns
Gears of War, Destiny, The Division... the influence is there, but deeper down there's more to Outriders as we explore!
Easy Rider - Hands-On with People Can Fly's Outriders
Out of retirement and back patrolling the space streets, we take an updated look at Oberon Prime and Nekros Prime
Inside the Warframe Vault - Our Guide to Oberon and Nekros Prime
Post by KostaAndreadis @ 02:34pm 03/03/17 | 6 Comments
Because hey, switch is the word for today! Ahem, so the System Shock remake currently being developed Night Dive Studios has dropped the Unity engine in favour of Unreal Engine 4. According to the developer the switch was made to ensure that they were able to meet their targets for the console versions of the game, stating "Unity is not a great engine to use if you want to make an FPS on console" at the recent Game Developers Conference in San Francisco.

Although changing engines mid-cycle may sound like a nightmare proposition, apparently the transition won't effect the planned 2018 release date for the reboot. In fact Night Dive Studios even created a new version of pre-alpha gameplay, created with Unreal, that you can see below.

system shockunreal engine 4pre-alphapre-alpha gameplay

Posted 04:46pm 03/3/17
Seemed like an odd choice not to go with Unreal Engine from the start, I mean its not the best for every type of game but FPS games are its bread and butter.
Psycho
Posted 10:09pm 05/3/17
Yep agree. Is Unreal 4 engine free? I think a few devs /s tudioes use the Unity and then when they get a lot of interest or support they flip to a better engine. Didnt this also happen with one of the upcoiming WW2 shooters? They started off with Unity and then went Unreal4.

It's weird, like Chris Roberts going with the Crytek 3 engine from the get-go, which I think is great for fps shooters, but then forcing it to do a space sim? It became a real nightmare so they bastardized it so much they called it the 'StarEngine' and eventually jumped ship to the Amazon Lumberyard. All time consuming stuff, jumping engines in mid development is a real P.A.I.N. even one that is a derivative of its original master. But Chris has a penchant for trying to get s*** 'right' no matter what it takes...even 120 Mill.

Way above my head and my pay grade, just as long as they make s*** I enjoy I'm ok with that. :)
rickah
Posted 11:24am 07/3/17
oddly, it looks worse, in the sense that it lost that pixelated look which really gave the game character. hoping it makes a return in some form for the final product because right now, it looks generic.
notgreazy
Posted 11:31am 08/3/17
I really wanna play this game because I saw friends playing it in co-op mode and it looked amazing. It was around the time i was playing Neocron MMO and it had a similar vibe.

This is akin to the complaints Diablo 3 was getting before release: NOT DARK ENOUGH, HERE ARE IMAGES I HAVE PHOTOSHOPED TO MAKE IT MORE S***** LOOKING.

Kinda dumb IMO.
Posted 12:03pm 08/3/17

Kinda dumb IMO.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Though, he has a bit of a point with regards to it not having character, it does look a little generic, or maybe its just that when it first came out it was something we hadn't really seen before, but now its a bit "been there, done that". Like, my first thought was "Oh, looks kinda like Dead Space", which is a bit unfair, since its more the other way around; Dead Space looks like System Shock. Either way though, not really the fault of the engine, Unreal doesn't come with a particular "look", they could make it look however they wanted.

Tricky line to walk though, doing justice to the original, while still being different enough to set itself apart and offer something new. Will be interesting to see how it stands up against modern games cos I mean it was fantastic at the time, but a lot of games that came after it borrowed heavily from it, to the point where the original game wont feel too unique or revolutionary anymore. Kinda like how when The Matrix first came out, those slow-mo "bullet time" sequences blew everyones mind, but so many other films copied it that now they're just a cliche and people are sick of them.
notgreazy
Posted 12:15pm 08/3/17
That's a fair enough point about the feel of the game, I got a Doom 3 vibe from it, which was disappointing. But I still would like to play the game because to me a game is more than just graphics, it's the music, the animation, the story, the (hopefully) coop. It all adds to make a great game.

Some games innovate, others polish a genre to perfection and then others feed on nostalgia.