Alongside the launch of the new Game Browser, the new competitive season of Overwatch has officially begun. As with previous seasons there are a few changes to the way Competitive Play will be handled, but this time they're mostly minor. But, the latest patch also brings a number of balance and character changes, most notably an overall buff to Bastion.
The changes to Competitive Play for Season 4 are as follows:
High-level players are required to play more competitive matches to avoid inactivity decay, improving the accuracy and prestige of skill ratings
Only players who reach the top 500 leaderboard at the end of the season will be rewarded, providing incentive to keep up a high skill rating
To encourage competition, skill ratings below 500 will no longer be displayed
In addition to the above a new re-spawn time is being introduced that will increase based on the ratio of attackers to defenders. Which, in theory, should alleviate some issues with defenders trickling in at a constant rate.
On the character front the biggest changes have come to Bastion, who seems to have been given a complete overhaul. Or, upgrade. Which, is fitting for a robot.
- Reconfiguration time decreased from 1.5 seconds to 1.0 second
- Bullet spread increased by 50%
- Bullet spread is always at maximum (it no longer increases as the weapon is fired)
- Magazine size increased from 200 to 300
- No longer deals critical damage
- Bullet spread decreased by 25%
- Magazine size increased from 20 to 25
- Can now be used while moving
- Now bound to secondary fire (formerly Ability 2)
- No longer interrupted by taking damage
- A new resource meter has been added that depletes while Self-Repair is active and recharges when not in use
- No longer grants bonus armor
New Passive Ability: Ironclad
- Bastion takes 35% less damage while in Configuration: Sentry or Tank
Pretty substantial changes to everyone's favourite robo-tank, and you can check out the rest of the patch notes here
Posted 10:38am 03/3/17
I'm currently 4W3L1D in my placements. First game the other team played Bastion and we got rolled. Second one, which we drew, we ran Bastion with me as Mercy on Hanamura Defence and just drew that game to a stalemate. One of last nights games I ran Bastion myself on Eichenwalde with only a single Lucio supporting me - it's was ridiculous. I barely ever play Bastion and just chewed through the other team, clearly a better team - just a freight train all the way to the bridge. It was start and stop from there but ultimately Bastion mowed down everything.
On defence we just stalled them constantly.
Bastion + Zarya + Mercy is just an insane combo. Add Reinhardt if you're going to play a little more defensively.