At QuakeCon 2018 we had the chance to sit down with id Software's Marty Stratton and Hugo Martin to chat about DOOM Eternal.
Talking DOOM Eternal with id Software
At Gamescom we went hands-on with a new PvE addition to For Honor that offers up a shortened, yet visceral experience.
For Honor’s New Arcade PvE Mode is Bite-Sized Fun
At QuakeCon 2018 we got the chance to both go hands-on with id Software and Avalanche Studios' Rage 2 and then speak to Tim Willits
Rage 2 – Gameplay Capture and Talking to id Software
After getting banned and then un-banned in Australia, the long-awaited We Happy Few has finally been released. But, was the wait worth it?
We Happy Few Review - Frustration and Joy
Post by KostaAndreadis @ 03:21pm 11/10/16 | 23 Comments
Server rentals, server tools, and setting up a server for multiplayer gaming have been a part of PC gaming for years. Hey, even we've got in on the action in the past. DICE's Battlefield has always been a mainstay when it comes to server rentals, and this month's Battlefield 1 will be no different. Except that EA will be forgoing partnerships with third-parties to handle all the server stuff itself.

Server rentals for Battlefield 1 will be available from the in-game store shortly after launch.
In the past, servers were handled by third-party companies – now, EA is providing them directly. We think this will benefit you in several ways. First off, we will be able to secure the quality of the actual hardware. Since the servers come from the same provider, it will give everyone the same uniform experience. Furthermore, if you have questions or need help, you will be able to reach out to EA Support directly instead of third party support.

On a rented server, players will be able to customize gameplay aspects like server name, map rotation, game mode, various game play settings, and more. We might restrict number of game modes available at launch and gradually enable them based on feedback and other circumstances, but you can expect that we’ll keep adding customization options and UI design throughout 2016.

Battlefield 1 is out October 21 for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

battlefieldbattlefield 1easerver rentalsservers

Whoop
Posted 05:45pm 11/10/16
So will there be aussie servers?

You mean a lag filled slawfest with constant crashes and slowdowns with more than 5 people like battlefield 4 was? Or the constant server crashes from bad company 2? Oh EA, don't ever change (or do, I'm not your mother).

Nope, gonna wait until battlefield 10 comes out and pick bf1 up during one of their "on the house" days for free.
Psycho
Posted 11:09pm 11/10/16
Battlefield 1 is out October 21 for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

:) Some of us get it 4 days earlier..whoohoo..
Psycho
Posted 03:22am 13/10/16
Check that. I just watched a YouTube vid on Jackfrags channel about the maps and such as he has been playing the game early. He dropped a post that mentioned that if you Have Origin/EA access account you can d/load the bloody game now!! So I fired up an account and I am currently d/loading BF1 right now. whoo. Its classed as a trial release and is 40+ gigs...but I am stoked I'll be mucking around with this game later today.

The stars must have been in alignment, as we have just moved and I am not bothered with using our IceTV account anymore where we are, I cancelled that at $8 a month and the Origin Access is $7 a month...so win win for the Psycho! :)

Also the new footage of the games maps looks even more enticing as does the sound of the new game mode called 'Operations', the mortar unit looks horrendously OP at the mo...which is a good thing right?

last edited by Psycho at 03:22:52 13/Oct/16
trog
Posted 09:37am 13/10/16
Well I really look forward to seeing how well they can do this. The writing has been on the wall for people renting BF servers for a long time so this was a pretty natural conclusion. I'll be fascinated to see if EA can provide a more robust server experience while they're managing all the servers themselves. Server automation has come so far though and they can probably have a pretty good crack at it, but (as with every game without decentralised servers) I think it's a little sad that none of those neat little communities will ever really be able to form around local servers.
Psycho
Posted 03:10am 14/10/16
Awesome.
Joaby
Posted 11:17am 14/10/16

I was at the early play through thing you guys, thought I'd let you know I was repping AusGamers right

Also trog I tried to talk to one of the producers about their shift away from GSPs but he didn't want to talk about.

There are 100% Aussie servers just FYI.

trog
Posted 11:41am 14/10/16
Yeh I bet they copped it sweet from all the GSPs and will never refer to it again

I hope everyone remembers what happens every couple years with all the servers for the sports games when EA run them all before buying this one. But, haha, as if.
Hogfather
Posted 01:19pm 14/10/16
Out of the loop; can someone explain GSP to me? Google fu is failing me.
Joaby
Posted 01:20pm 14/10/16
Georges St Pierre, the GOAT mma fighter

nah Game Server Providers man. Ala (a portion of) Mammoth's role with GameArena's servers or Vilayer or whatever.
BladeRunner
Posted 01:32pm 14/10/16
As long as it works, and works well, I don't care too much how they handle it.
Hogfather
Posted 01:51pm 14/10/16
As long as it works, and works well, I don't care too much how they handle it.

This is part of the problem though. Not trying to be harsh, but it is!

Gamers just go 'ok cool MP works' after launch, but forget that unlike games of yore the multiplayer experience is contingent on the dev/publisher providing ongoing support. Andonce the game stops selling, the suits will be keen to shut it down and move the players onto their next big thing.

People are STILL creating lots of awesome content an damn near MMOs for Neverwinter Nights, and you can still fire up Quake for a quick deathmatch. The complete game experience is forever available to you and your friends for as long as you enjoy playing it. LAN play means you don't even need the f*****g internet! Anyone remember LAN play?!?!?!

Meanwhile, s***loads of more modern titles are literally unplayable now. You still own it, but you can't play it, because some suit decided that your time is up and its time to buy the sequel.
natslovR
Posted 07:00pm 15/10/16

The built in server browser seems to work pretty well.

game is f*****g awesome.
BladeRunner
Posted 02:25am 16/10/16
@Hogfather Yeah I did not think of that at the time. But since EA the publisher is handling it. I don't see why they would want to stop supporting it too quickly. As long as there are customers paying for servers, they should be happy enough to roll with it. Perhaps when EA decides that the game is not worth them lording over it anymore, they can release the (server client?) so people can carry on with playing after its stops being officially supported. But since EA is EA.....we hardly know what they will do. Perhaps TROG can pester some PR people at EA/DICE and find out.
Hogfather
Posted 04:15pm 16/10/16
We know what they do, they just turn the servers off (see trog's comments above). They will absolutely not release the server runtimes.

At some point it is guaranteed that you will be unable to play this game in multiplayer, online or not.

The problem is that they do it when very few people are still playing and basically just tell anyone still interested in the game to f*** off.
Psycho
Posted 11:36pm 16/10/16
Jumped on a server yesterday for xb1. There were 2x 64 player servers for Australia that were full, good ping no issues. Don't know how many other oceana servers there were. The built in server browser seems to work pretty well. game is f*****g awesome.

Agreed. I also think its been optomised really well. When I ran the beta it was a bit flakey and I had to run it in 1080 with some options turned down etc to get decent performance. Fired this Trial up, dx12 enabled, 1440 res, ULtra settings all round, Graphics option set at 135% and its slicker than owl s***, so smooth, I love it. The wife came in and stood behind me while I was playing for a bit, and then asked me what movie I was watching. She still doesn't believe me that is was actually a game. :)

We need to get a Ausgamers squad or squads organised people because THIS is the game to play with friends...Psycho3968 add me if you see me. :)
Joaby
Posted 07:53am 17/10/16
Should get a Discord going. Was playing yesterday with a mate and just the tiniest bit of coordination changes this game soooo much. Me, my mate and three randos in a squad. The randos aren't communicating back, but they were clearly listening to our chatter and by the end of the round my mate was top, i was second, two randos were 3rd and 4th and the other guy came 7th (shameful display). Bear in mind we weren't going on massive kill sprees, but our KD ratio was solid because we'd almost always have revives, we were completing objectives and coordinating on targets and just generally playing as a team. Went from a huge deficit to win the round.
Hogfather
Posted 09:45am 17/10/16
Should get a Discord going.

Feel free to use https://discord.gg/QsDVt , have set up a BF1 channel.
Posted 10:23am 17/10/16
I kinda feel like I want to get this, but I've been burned a few times by Battlefield now. It looks great, but then, so did Star Wars Battlefront and BF4 =\
Posted 10:25am 17/10/16
Invite expired hoggy
Hogfather
Posted 10:49am 17/10/16
lol that was quick wtf

https://discord.gg/0pUWt3Mp5AnJIa6l is an open invite that shouldn't expire
trog
Posted 08:57pm 17/10/16
They will absolutely not release the server runtimes.

It's possible (but unlikely) someone will reverse engineer the servers. I think there was a project to do that for the BF2 ranked server that looked like it was mostly working.

I play Dota almost exclusively now and it's all centrally managed Valve servers. They have really nailed the server side and it's hard to fault it - as long as you have servers in your region. But Dota is a different type of game.
Psycho
Posted 11:02pm 17/10/16

Mate, Play the Amiens map twice and you will be hooked, line and sinker. Its impressed me a s***load. I haven't played a BF game since 1942 and the Desert Combat Mod and THIS game has recaptured THAT feeling IMO. Play that Map I mentioned and a few more...and you will buy the full game....its like playing inside a really, really good VR rendition on a WW1 movie.

Loving it so far,.JUST GOTTA GET SOME MORE AUSGAMERS PEEPS TO SQUAD UP, you pussies!

Psycho
Posted 03:26am 18/10/16
2.30am...can't...stop...playing....addicted to game...already......help... :)