Guitar Hero is on its way back, and this time it's... live
? Well, it's not actually live, but the game's presentation is built around a live stage-show experience, but that doesn't mean it won't come with some familiar gameplay, as exampled today by the reveal of the game's "Hero Powers".
What are Hero Powers?
If you remember Star Power from previous games in the franchise, Hero Powers in Guitar Hero Live are a lot like that, only much cooler. Hero Powers can be used in GHTV to give you power-ups that affect different areas of gameplay. You can activate a Hero Power to boost your score while playing solo, or to give you a competitive edge during multiplayer. They are activated by the familiar tilt of the guitar, or you can just hit the Hero Power button directly on the guitar controller.
Higher scores allow you to earn even more rewards and level up faster.
How to earn and equip Hero Powers?
As you play the game, you constantly earn in-game currency, which you can then use to acquire various Hero Powers. Before you play a song in GHTV, you’ll have the option to choose which Hero Power you’d like to have equipped during the duration of that song for you to activate when you please.
Types of Hero Powers
- Clear Highway – Removes all immediate notes from your note highway instantly. The notes are counted as hits, which adds to your score, score streak and score multiplier.
- Double Multiplier – Your score multiplier will double for the duration of the Hero Power.
- Dial Down – Temporarily reduces the frequency of notes that appear in the note highway. This is especially effective during difficult portions of the song to maintain a big score multiplier.
- Dial Up – Temporarily increases the frequency of notes that appear in the note highway, therefore giving you a chance to increase your score.
- Score Chaser – Maximum score multiplier is temporarily doubled.
- Safety Net – Holds your multiplier and score streak at its current value.
- Invincibility – Temporarily hits all notes, and missing notes do not register.
Just how the game will match up to previous entries will be found out as soon as we get closer to knowing the full package, but it's refreshing to see this isn't just a repackage, but at least something trying new things.
Check out a host of screens referring to the information above, below.