A look at Stay in the Light, from one-man studio Sunside Games. Designed specifically for NVIDIA GeForce RTX graphics cards.
Stay in the Light – Indie Horror Powered by Ray-Tracing
198X is endearing, and how it presents a compilation of sorts of an era is something that leaves a positive if not lasting impression.
198X Review - Coming of Age in the Arcade Era
We sit down with Blizzard to discuss the creation of its visually striking new zones – Nazjatar and Mechagon.
From Concept to Screen – World of Warcraft's Rise of Azshara
Techland's next parkour leap into Dying Light takes 'post-apocalyptia' to a new level as we explore...
Dying Light 2 - Renaissance Mad Max
Post by KostaAndreadis @ 09:38am 16/06/15 | 14 Comments
In a surprise move not predicted by even the staunchest of remake and remaster fans, came word this morning that Microsoft will adding backwards compatibility to the Xbox One console. Which, you guessed it, will result in the ability to play Xbox 360 games, digitally or via retail disc.

And with seemingly no restrictions or additional costs. Saved games via the cloud will also transfer seamlessly, as will any achievements accrued.

In addition to all that Xbox 360 games will also take advantage of Xbox One features like video and screenshot functionality and streaming to Windows 10.

Plus, even more surprisingly, cross-platform multiplayer.

Xbox One backwards comparability is slated to launch with over 100 titles later this year, with hundreds to be added each month.

Supported titles confirmed so far include:
  • Banjo Kazooie: N n B
  • Small Arms
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Toy Soldiers
  • Toy Soldiers: Cold War
  • Viva Piñata
  • Viva Piñata: TIP

Huge news, and in a way kind of makes all the recent remasters and remakes of games only a few years old feel a little redundant.

xbox 360xbox onecross-platform

groganus
Posted 10:08am 16/6/15
Give me Xbox backwards compatibility, I want Crimsons Skies over anything that was released on the xbox 360.
Steve Farrelly
Posted 12:59pm 16/6/15
Yes, I can finally finish Dead Space 2 and myriad other games I always intended to, but am too lazy to change my HDMI over for. This is a very solid move, Microsoft.
IncrEdible_vEgetable
Posted 01:36pm 16/6/15
Now considering adding an XBone to my console collection.
Not that lack of backwards compatibility was a dealbreaker, but I got a good deal on a PS4 and decided to go with that over upgrading my 360.
Will probably wait for a price drop/good deal though as there's still not any Xbone exclusives that are making my panties suitably moist.
notgreazy
Posted 12:46pm 17/6/15
It's still a f*****g deal breaker because not every game is supported and I bet you the emulation will not be 100%.

This is gay, why isn't there native backwards compatibility.
E.T.
Posted 01:15pm 17/6/15

This is gay, why isn't there native backwards compatibility.

1) Its Native, not emulation as I understand it
2) 100's of other titles are being announced soon
Posted 01:43pm 17/6/15
Yeah, its native, no special support needs to be developed for the other games, they're just waiting for approval really. The publishers of the games have to give approval for them to be made available for backwards compatibility.

Downloaded games will show up on the XBone to be downloaded and played too, and it sounded like if you have your games synced on 360 using the cloud saving thing, then even your saves will come down to XBone and you'll be able to pick straight back up where you left off. I hope thats true, cos if so then I can finish off GTA5!
Mordecai
Posted 02:57pm 17/6/15
I hope thats true, cos if so then I can finish off GTA5!

I doubt Rockstar would allow GTA5360 to be playable on XB1 when there is a XB1 version out.

Here's a video explaining how its going to work. It's software emulation as they are emulating the 360 in software including the guide.

Posted 03:14pm 17/6/15
Ah ok, I thought they said in the press conference it was native
Crakaveli
Posted 03:29pm 17/6/15
well hopefully the emulation software leaks and we get a good 360 emulator for pc :)
Jeffro
Posted 06:57pm 17/6/15
This is a pretty cool feature that's for certain. I'll be keeping my eye on that list of supported titles as they update it.
E.T.
Posted 09:16pm 17/6/15
Ah ok, I thought they said in the press conference it was native

You are correct Khel, that's why I also understood it was Native because that is what Microsoft said at the announcement.

check at 51 seconds:

dais
Posted 09:38pm 17/6/15
I was still on the fence about buying an Xbox One after seeing that exclusive pack of classic Rare games, but this has sealed the deal for me. When my old 360 finally croaks it will be a simple upgrade.
Whoop
Posted 09:56pm 17/6/15

Wait a second, didn't they originally say there'd be no backwards compatibility because the hardware was different and literally couldn't ever run the old code / games?
E.T.
Posted 10:34pm 17/6/15

Yes, they did. But as you hear in the video I posted above, they now say "While we weren't sure it was possible"....