Where we travelled to CES in Las Vegas to check out how our investment in robot butlers was doing – and to see the latest in gaming tech.
CES 2020 – The Best Gaming Tech at This Year’s Show
We take our portable crystal ball to the year ahead where Nintendo is concerned... can we predict a bright future?
Nintendo in 2020: What We Know, What We Want
We look at the 10 that didn't make it in our final Top 10 from the collated list of 20. Who still shone in 2019?
AusGamers Top Games of 2019 Honourable Mentions
Shadowy improvements that are often so subtle you have to go searching for them.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare RTX Breakdown
Post by Eorl @ 12:47pm 18/12/14 | 15 Comments
While DayZ as a whole has been available for nearly three years thanks to its earlier ARMA 2 mod in January 2012, its standalone release has celebrated its first birthday since launching on Steam Early Access in December of 2014 with a retrospective video and updated roadmap.

Coming in at just under five minutes, the clip features a number of developers talking about the world of DayZ and how it has grown. Those featured include creator of the game Dean "Rocket" Hall alongside producer Brian Hicks, who chat about the events leading up to the game's release, the role of the community and more.

As for the development roadmap, it isn't all too different from the one released in November. The new additions include improved cooking/horticulture and an advanced anti-hack system in Q1, world containers and a new physics system in Q2, and advanced communication in Q3. Full list can be found below.
Q1 2015

• Basic vehicles
  • Central economy (advanced loot distribution)
  • New renderer
  • New Zombie AI
  • Basic stealth system (zombies, animals, ...)
  • Diseases

• Q2 2015

• Advanced vehicles (repair, modifications, ...)
  • Advanced animals - life cycle, group behavior
  • Player statistics
  • New UI Stamina / fatigue
  • Dynamic events

• Q3 2015

• Traps
  • Barricading
  • Character life span + soft skills
  • Animal predators + birds
  • Aerial transport
  • Console prototype

• Q4 2015

• BETA version
  • Animal companions (dog, horse)
  • Steam community integration (Achievements, Steamworks modding, etc)
  • Construction (building shelters / walls / ...)
  • Bohemia also revealed that DayZ's price will shift to $34.99USD later this month, with the final price point being $49.99USD.

dayzbohemia interactivezombiessurvival
    Buy now from SteamUS Only USD$29.99!

cJay
    Posted 01:59pm 18/12/14
    Cool vid.. ah DayZ so many memories
    Audi
    Posted 02:40pm 18/12/14
    Haha, there are still no vehicles? What a fail this game is.
    Trex0321
    Posted 12:27pm 19/12/14
    I just wonder if they'll be any body left to care if it actually makes it through all these steps ?
    reload!
    Posted 12:10pm 20/12/14
    lol. I'd be celebrating making a stack of cash from a buggy pos that'll never be finished as well.
    Whoop
    Posted 08:45pm 20/12/14
    At least I only wasted my money on Arma, and not this POS as well.

I bought Arma because I wanted Arma, not just for dayz
    Vash
    Posted 09:46pm 20/12/14
    it's alpha, what do you expect?
    I went through this when NS2 had its first release build. Its actually pretty cool watching it go through its development cycle. Many would seem to prefer to not get any content until its completely finished.
    reload!
    Posted 03:41pm 21/12/14
    there is still a reasonable expectation that a project which has received as much attention and funding as this one has to be completely in a timely manner with clear signs that progress is being made. the complete opposite has been the case here. it's like it is still just one guy on his own after work f***about project.
    Enska
    Posted 06:10pm 21/12/14
    The game is actually much more improved than it was this time last year, and I haven't even played in like 3 months. Much bandwagon hating itt.
    E.T.
    Posted 06:23pm 21/12/14
    My friends and I still play it most nights. Its highly playable. Sure there are still bugs but the game itself is very playable.
    Haters gonna hate.
    reload!
    Posted 07:20pm 21/12/14
    right but the mod was highly playable. the pre release has been highly playable for a long time as well. if you don't mind that there is no realistic time frame in place for a final release then I commend you for your patience and optimism. what bothers me is that the process hasn't been expedited at all by all of the extra funding and attention the game has received. I'm not critical of something clearly listed as pre release and being in a pre release state. I'm critical of the delays.
    Audi
    Posted 08:49pm 21/12/14

I thought Rocket was leaving the project at the end of the year?

yep.

Just reading his Twitter hes already left a few days ago. Thats the real news guys.
    Creator gives up on his game. Dean Halls dayz at bohemia come to an end.
    Twisted
    Posted 02:27pm 25/12/14
    I really don't get why they're adding in 1/2 the s*** they have or plan to...

* Horticulture (are you kidding me)
    * Disease (...)
    * Animal AI (the designers need some AI)
    * Central economy (seriously f*** you...the economy is taking things)
    * Console prototype (this tells me this game has lost its way)

I can't really tell if they're trying to be day-z or every other game concept they come across. Starting to sound like a cross between day-z (mod), minecraft, rust, football manager, forza, farming simulator, barbies magic day out with her horses, croquet.
    E.T.
    Posted 12:51am 31/12/14
    I take it all back. Day Z can die in the ass for all I care. "Breaking Point" mod on Arma 3 is a million miles in front in every way. I now have no fear that the game engine itself will kill me.
    Tollaz0r!
    Posted 10:19am 31/12/14
    This 'game' was nothing more than an interesting social experiment. Well OK, it then became a massive cash cow that had its milk squeezed dry by the devs.
    Roonee
    Posted 03:58pm 31/12/14

If it's highly playable, or even just 'playable' for most reasonable people purchasing an Alpha at $20, then it's not a lack of patience and optimism that makes you see it as a "buggy pos", or explain why people seem not happyish with the game. It could be a lack of patience for playing the game itself, but then ARMA wouldn't be for them at all so I'm not sure if they'd be interested enough to voice a criticism.

You're all just haters. Yeah, that's right.... just Haters.

I'm very happy with the game and the price I paid. The fact that the game is still being added to at no cost to me is a bonus. Sure, it's taking longer than I'd thought necessary or would really like and there's additions that I think are highly needed (like increased mobility, or some way for improving the prep/encounter ratio (eg increased population - either allow people to get to each other faster or just increase the total number of people)), but if they feel they can milk it for a while until the amount and extent of pissing people off while doing so starts to equalise with the money coming in from being a steam top seller for 23 months straight, then oh well that's just business.

At least they won't be trying to use peer hosting or some nonsense...