Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Post by Eorl @ 04:53pm 08/10/14 | 11 Comments
WildStar developer Carbine Studios has announced the cancellation of Halloween and Christmas for their sci-fi MMO, though not because of a grinch.

The studio is instead bypassing the holidays to focus on "making sure the live game is working well," according to content designer Kristen “Caydiem” DeMeza who revealed the news on the official forums.

“I’m seeing the ’12-16 months’ worth of content prepared’ thing bandied about, and this is actually the result of a statement being repeated enough where the words change enough to change the meaning,” DeMeza said. “Prepared isn’t the correct term and was never actually said to my knowledge.”

DeMeza continues by pointing out that while the Halloween event was near completion, it still "needed a lot of proper, rigorous testing."

"With limited-time events, it's even more imperative that your content work and work well, because if there's a show-stopping bug that happens, every hour you spend fixing it is an hour players miss of that content for the year. QA time was vital, therefore -- particularly with some new bits of tech we received. But QA had Drop 3 on their plate, and Drop 3 -- full of many bug fixes and content that would be around all year -- was rightly deemed more important for QA to focus on. Would we have liked to get Shade's Eve in? Of course! But with finite resources, we picked giving Drop 3 the most thorough testing it could get, and it was the right call."

Luckily it seems the Christmas event was still very much an idea, meaning little dev time had been spent and thus could be pushed to the side. DeMeza does note that holiday events will re-appear next year, so keep your eyes peeled for more on that.

wildstarholiday eventsmmorpgsci-ficarbine studios
Buy now from Green Man Gaming Only GBP£29.99!

Hogfather
Posted 11:38am 09/10/14
So is this game still the 2nd coming of MMOs or did it (as expected) peter out once the shiny newness wore off?
Posted 12:33pm 09/10/14
I loved it, but like nearly every new MMO, chewed through all the available content then had nothing to really do. Even though in this case it wasn't so much to do with lack of content, as much as it was to do with raids being very heavily gated. Raid attunement was just a huge grind (and I mean that in the traditional sense, it was a real old-school grind) and I just don't have the patience or the time to indulge timesinks like that anymore. Combined with the fact that the guild I was in fell apart because so many other people hit the same wall.

I could see it happening before the game launched even, think I mentioned it a few times as one of my biggest worries about the game, the whole attitude it had where it was targetting 'hardcore' players, with attunements and 40 man raids and 40 vs 40 pvp and stuff like that. So many guilds fell apart while trying to even get 20 people attuned for the first raid, let alone 40 people attuned for the second raid. And I don't think I ever saw a 40 v 40 pvp Warplot game happen, or even talked to anyone who ever even played in one. They were trying to bank on that nostalgia people have when they look back at things like vanilla WoW and wistfully reminisce about how good reputation grinds and raid attunements and 40 man raids were. Thing is, people forget about how much of a pain in the ass all that stuff was. By catering to the 'hardcore' mindset, they just alienated a tonne of the more casual players, and its the casual players that make up the majority of the subscribers realistically.

They also made the rookie mistake of caving to demand and opening heaps of extra servers to cope with initial demand, and then a month later, when the initial wave died down, they were left with a bunch of half empty (or worse) servers. They're merging them all now into mega servers so there will be 1 mega server per region, so thats pretty cool, but I dunno if its too late. I'll probably resub and play it again in the future though, when they've added some more solo or small group content, cos I had a hell of a lot of fun playing it. I desperately wanted it work, I had plans to stay there long term and make it my go-to MMO, but the grind killed it for me. I'm just not willing to suck down mindless grind anymore, in any game, got no patience for that anymore.

I've decided though that I'm just not going to bother playing anymore new MMOs, too much time committment and too much of an emotional roller coaster ride. If I'm gonna play an MMO from now on, I'll just stick with WoW, better the devil you know.
Hogfather
Posted 01:41pm 09/10/14

Yeh, see, I skipped WildStar because I didn't have time for it at the time.

But I don't for a moment regret buying Aion, SWTOR, RIFT or Guild Wars 2. I don't regret the many hours (and sometimes a little coin) I put into Dungeons and Dragons Online, Neverwinter, EverQuest 2 or Lord of the RIngs online when I played them after they went FTP. Hmm I've played a few MMOs!

These games were not the several-years attention span holder that the original EverQuest and WarCraft were. But I got thousands of hours entertainment out of them and have good memories of playing them. They each had their own spin and moments of 'wow'. None of those games are on my 'played it ten minutes and regretted buying or downloading it' list, and they're not failures because of that imo.

Good times.
TicMan
Posted 01:45pm 09/10/14
I still have a hankering for SWTOR on occasion. WoW is dead to me, I tried it about 6 months ago or so and the magic is gone.
cJay
Posted 02:14pm 09/10/14
I'm loving Archeage! Widlstar pfffttttt
Posted 02:42pm 09/10/14
This infographic shows the steps you need to go through to get attuned to the first 20 man raid in Wildstar.

Would embed it in the post, but as you'll see, its kinda huge.
Meddek
Posted 02:58pm 09/10/14
LOL that's a huge list, almost seems as long as trying to become a Jedi in the old Star Wars MMO

I'm in the same boat as Khel the new MMOs look flashy and are fun for a while but I find myself ditching them for a more established MMO with a population such as WoW
Eorl
Posted 03:01pm 09/10/14

ArcheAge fills the void for me that nothing else will fill. I loved WoW to bits for the seven or so years of playing, but I just can't go back without feeling dread of doing the same thing I've done before.
Meddek
Posted 03:07pm 09/10/14
Yeah my Wife hates when I play it, among Wives it's deemed as the Nerdiest game that destroys relationships so I'm always keen for a new MMO to fill that void
deadlyf
Posted 04:29pm 09/10/14
Wait, didn't Wildstar have the same server system as GW2? I would have thought with overflow servers you wouldn't need extra world servers. In fact I think they had already implemented mega servers in GW2 by that time.

They still charge for server transfers though because the wvw system is still in place. I really don't understand why MMO's charge for server transfers, I know most do simply because they can but I bet they would get more people playing if they put less barriers up for people to enjoy the game.

Something I found jarring when trying to play Archeage (which I still haven't even done) were the queues, I really thought server queues were a thing of the past and now I kind of expect individual world servers to not be there anymore either. It's a much better way of handling the initial surge of players are release, that's for sure.
Posted 04:56pm 09/10/14
Nah, Wildstar didn't have overflow servers, it was very much the old "Choose your server and sit in a queue if its full" model.