At the recent Six Invitational we had a chance to get nostalgic with Siege dev team members on Rainbow's history
Scoping the History of the Rainbow Six Series, with Dev Input
Capcom brings back its classic action series for the current generation of hardware. So hows does Dante and gang hold up after all these years?
Devil Mary Cry 5 Review - Stylish with a Capital SS
For the longest time I refused to finish Red Dead Redemption 2. Here's why...
After Almost 6 Months I Finally Finished Red Dead Redemption 2
Post by Eorl @ 04:37pm 23/09/14 | 6 Comments
Sony's own virtual reality headset is nearing completion, with Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida revealing to The Wall Street Journal that the headset is nearing 85% completion.

Yoshida would not say when the headset would launch, nor would he comment on its price. He did add that a bulk of Project Morpheus' components are also found in smartphones, which would drive the device's price down. For reference, the current Oculus Rift prototype is available to anyone at a price point of $350USD.

Sony announced Project Morpheus at GDC in March as a VR headset that offers a 1080p display with a 90 degree field of view and full 360 degrees of head tracking. Sony will use Project Morpheus to compete for attention in the virtual reality space with Oculus VR, which was purchased by Facebook in March for $2 billion.

What are your thoughts on the virtual reality race? Which headset will you be purchasing? Let us know in the comments!

project morpheussonyvirtual realityheadsettechnology

Deviouz
Posted 07:37pm 23/9/14
Going to grab the Oculus Rift when it becomes final
WirlWind
Posted 03:22pm 24/9/14
Basically this translates to:

"Ok, so we got our Dev Kit 2 from Oculus finally and our team of engineers is working hard to backwards engineer it".

I am still unsure of this... Everything I've seen and heard has been "it's not as good as the rift" and that was just the DK2 version!

On top of that, how the hell are they going to work on ancient PS4 tech AND get frame rates high enough for low persistence + 'presence'.

I really doubt Morpheus will be as good as people are hyped up to think it will be, but I REALLY hope I'm wrong.
Hogfather
Posted 03:37pm 24/9/14
What are your thoughts on the virtual reality race?

I'm excited by the existence of the race.
groganus
Posted 03:52pm 24/9/14
What are your thoughts on the virtual reality race?

I have mixed thoughts on VR.

I don't fully understand the application of it's use. I feel like we have just gotten to a point where consoles in the lounge room are acceptable and that gaming culture is now being accepted rather than ostracized. This has been hugely boosted by the social gaming aspect of things, online play, movement controls and games focused around the social environment have got us here.

I feel like VR might be a step backwards from that experience. Will this be the end of the days of sitting on the couch with your kids or friends and playing fifa.

Call me paranoid but something about covering my eyes and ears in the company of others just freaks me out.

At the same time, I love the idea of being completely absorbed into another world and am excited as s*** to get my hands on one. I'll probably lock myself in the toilet to use it.. BUT HOW EXCITING.
parabol
Posted 04:30pm 24/9/14
I have mixed thoughts on VR.

I don't fully understand the application of it's use

I was blown away when I first used my Oculus Rift DK1.

However .. other than trying out demos for 5-10 minutes at a time, I never actually tried to play a game right through.

I've identified a few possible reasons for this:

0) There is bugger-all content out there made from the ground up with VR in mind. Mostly there're just short demos or naive/dodgy ports of existing non-VR games.

1) There are still some show-stopping issues with regards to motion-sickness that haven't been solved yet (even with the DK2). Almost everyone I've demo'd the Rift to has complained about motion sickness (even though I had the correct settings + good graphics card to reduce latency).

2) There is no standardised input method and most developers don't follow the VR guidelines properly. e.g. KB+mouse is super-awkward physically, and can cause motion sickness if you're overriding your head movements with mouse movements all the time. Hand-held controllers dumb down the possible actions / precision you can perform. Demos like the rollercoaster one are just plain dumb and make people sick.

3) Maybe I'm just not that into games anymore.

Due to these issues, my DK1 then gathered dust for most of last year. I sold it before my DK2 arrived. DK2 had significant improvement, but hasn't solved the content problems mentioned above - so I sold that after a week too. Asked for a refund for my Virtuix Omni VR treadmill and got my $500 back. Will be selling my Sixsense STEM controllers as soon as they arrive too.

Might wait a year after Sony / Oculus have released a retail product and see if VR content has caught up - until then ... not so interested.
Tollaz0r!
Posted 07:12pm 24/9/14

I have mixed thoughts on VR.

It will give us hardcore gamers something to be hardcore about and ostracized. All this time being accepted by people is unnerving and has to end.