Bethesda's epic sci-fi RPG is here, and it's a big one. From shipbuilding to exploring the surface of Mars, our thoughts so far.
Starfield Review... In Progress
The first trailer for Grand Theft Auto 6 is finally here.
Grand Theft Auto 6 Trailer
We take an in-depth look at Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora and tell you why it should be heavily on your radar!
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora - a Deep-Dive into its Potential
Range-wise, the ROG Rapture GT6 is phenomenal, and it's ideal for all gaming and non-gaming-related tasks.
ASUS ROG Rapture GT6 WiFi 6 Mesh System Review
Post by Eorl @ 12:44pm 26/02/14 | 20 Comments
After previously commenting that the team are looking to "make it possible for players to purchase multiple character boosts through their new in-game store," Blizzard's World of Warcraft level 90 boost has now been price tagged; a whopping $60. Lead encounter designer Ion Hazzikostas says that price is set to assure that there is still some value in leveling the old-fashioned way.

The pricing was leaked last week when WoW Insider caught a brief appearance on the store page, before Blizzard quickly removed it from sight. The booster allows users to bypass the traditional leveling grind and immediately reach level 90, 10 levels away from the new level cap of 100.

"In terms of the pricing, honestly a big part of that is not wanting to devalue the accomplishment of leveling," Hazzikostas told Eurogamer (via Shacknews)."If our goal here was to sell as many boosts as possible, we could halve the price or more than that--make it $10 or something. And then hardly anyone would ever level a character again."

According to the designer, the team acknowledged leveling often requires "dozens if not over 100 hours" and did not want to diminish that effort by making the in-store booster cheap to buy. He added that the main point from Blizzard was not to set a "profit maximising" price, but instead give an easier path to those who may not have the time to level additional alts thanks to real life time constraints.

"We realized as soon as we came out with Warlords of Draenor boost to 90, we knew that there was going to be demand for more than 1," he said. "It's tremendously awkward to tell someone that you should buy two copies of the expansion just to get a second 90. That's odd. So we knew at that point we were going to have to offer it as a separate service."

World of Warcraft's newest expansion, Warlords of Draenor will offer a free level 90 character boost when purchasing the expansion, though it is unclear if this will be a limited time offer or not. Warlords of Draenor will be available for purchase "soon" says Blizzard, though no solid release date has yet been hinted.

world of warcraftblizzardwarlords of draenorlevel 90 boostexpansion
Buy now from Games 101 Only AUD$28.95!

Arpey
Posted 12:54pm 26/2/14
They sky was falling when they announced the level 90 boosts because everyone who had grinded out the levels felt ripped off. "Why did we bother?!" they cried.

Then the $60 price tag was leaked and Blizzard were the devil for not making it $25. "Why do I have to pay so much?! Why is Blizzard so greedy?!"

Conclusion: Gamers are whiners.
Hogfather
Posted 01:03pm 26/2/14
And curiously this new offering coincides closely with the removal of the scroll of resurrection which contained a free character boost as a its best reward. As a returning player to the new expansion, you could have had this benefit (extra 90 on top of Draenor boost) for free!

Money talks.
Posted 01:25pm 26/2/14
I just figured the free 90 boost you get from buying the expansion was pretty much the replacement for the scroll of ressurection, since the scroll was only an 80 boost anyway. I think you got a free server transfer to the server of the person who rezzed you though as well with the scroll? That bit was handy
paveway
Posted 01:26pm 26/2/14
rest assured there will be no shortage of reverend evil's there spending big
Reverend Evil
Posted 01:45pm 26/2/14
I'd use the free boost from buying the new xpac but I wouldn't spend $60 for a single character though.
Tollaz0r!
Posted 01:49pm 26/2/14
Pay a Chinese power leveler to do it for you for $10..
Arpey
Posted 02:16pm 26/2/14
Actually a level 90 character goes for about $140 these days if the spammers are to be believed. Also Blizzard probably won't sell your credit card number to organized crime.
Tanaka Khan
Posted 03:18pm 26/2/14
Also Blizzard probably won't sell your credit card number to organized crime.

HA! They are the biggest criminals around!!
Tollaz0r!
Posted 03:41pm 26/2/14
Really $140? Such a rip off.
Eorl
Posted 03:45pm 26/2/14
I don't really care what people buy with their money, it's theirs to spend, but in my opinion this just feels too "free-to-play" without the free option. Though people do pay $25 for a virtual mount, I'm sure this will go down just as well and kudos to Blizzard for hitting the virtual goldmine.
Raven
Posted 04:11pm 26/2/14
Also, how many expansion packs are we up to?

So you pay a few bucks for the original game, then Burning Crusade, then the other five that you need in order... adds up quickly. And then $15/month.
Arpey
Posted 04:23pm 26/2/14
Everything up to Cata is included now I think. Or maybe everything up to Wrath. But they don't charge for the early xpacs anymore.
glynd
Posted 05:02pm 26/2/14
Also, how many expansion packs are we up to?

$20 USD for Vanilla all the way to Cataclysm then $20 USD for Pandaria.

BladeRunner
Posted 05:48pm 26/2/14
I remember having a charater leveled by some gold selling web site. It said a week for them to do it but they were slow and it took 2 weeks. I took the account back and it had 2k gold on it, IIRC. It still was not the level I wanted though but was close enough, the gold was a bonus. If only they had this 4-8 years ago when It may have been useful to me.
Ozzy
Posted 07:03pm 26/2/14
I don't understand why anyone would do this????

Buy the game and all the expansion packs.
Subscription fee.
Then pay more money to skip all the content.

When I played WoW vanilla (havent played since) I loved exploring the stories and lore of warcraft.

Is it much different now?
Jim
Posted 07:14pm 26/2/14
cos the real content for most people is what's available at the level cap. levelling is often just a boring thing you want out of the way, once you've done it at least once
Arpey
Posted 07:23pm 26/2/14
I couldn't see myself levelling again, but I did enjoy it the first time. I'll be using the free WoD boost to 90 to roll a healer to fill in with my guild. I can see myself paying for another if circumstances necessitate, but I won't be rolling one of every class or race for the hell of it.
Tanaka Khan
Posted 09:27pm 26/2/14

Arpey, just curious but have you played a healer before? If not don't you think you would benefit from leveling that healer and learning what it can do and how the class you pick works or do you plan on just jumping in at 90 and fumble around til you get it right?
carson
Posted 09:30pm 26/2/14
Some people pay $1000's for dota2 items, imo, this is no different.
Posted 10:16pm 26/2/14
Even if you boost a healer to 90, having never played one before, you've got until level 100 to learn it, should be plenty of time. And I read they're adding proving grounds as a requirement for queing for heroics and stuff at level 100 anyway, so people who are unfamiliar with their role will be able to get practise and then jump into heroics and raids when they're competant.

Doubt I'll use it, but I like the price point, its not too cheap so people wont be going nuts and boosting everything for the hell of it, but still cheaper and easier than RAFing yourself if you want to quickly level up a new toon.