18 years after the conclusion of Shenmue II, Yu Suzuki returns with the long-awaited crowdfunded sequel - decades in the making.
Shenmue III Review - Party Like its 1999
We sit down with Game Director Jeff Kaplan and Lead Designer Geoff Goodman to discuss story versus PvP, sound design, Push, and the game’s interesting launch plans.
Overwatch 2 – The Big Interview
We've run Red Dead Redemption 2 through its PC paces as the series finally lands on the Desktop platform!
Red Dead Redemption 2 is Finally on PC - How Does it Fare?
We've taken to Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order like a Womprat to sand. But how does it hold up?
Light or Dark? Our In-Depth Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order Review
Post by Eorl @ 03:48pm 11/12/13 | 14 Comments
After announcing that their free-to-play MOBA title DOTA 2 would be continuing the celebration of the Christmas season with Frostivus, the game's wintry celebration of gift-giving and wreath-crafting, Valve has once again cancelled this year's Frostivus event before it's even begun.

The news will come like a sack of coal for Christmas, as the official teaser website states that "By decree of the only king that matters, Frostivus is cancelled." Last year, Valve's season-themed update was also cancelled, though it was replaced by another event, The Greeviling, so it looks like we've got a running gag now.

Following yesterday's update where Valve added in the much sought-after ranked matchmacking system, players also noticed that Skeleton King was removed from the game due to "pressing ceremonial reasons." IGN reports that the character's icon was also removed from the top of the Frostivus page. While he may be missing in-game, he does still appear in the Hero Library within DOTA 2, though is not selectable during both hero selection and armoury customisation.

Rumours are swirling the Internet with many beleiving that this removal could be due to the Frostivus cancellation. IGN notes that the "only king that matters" may be hinting at the long-awaited release of the Wraith King, a character whom many suspected would appear at last year's previous Diretide event as a boss.

Other rumours suggest that maybe Skeleton King will be replaced by Wraith King as the "true" king of DOTA 2. Perhaps we'll learn more come tomorrow as Valve ticks over to Day 3 of the holiday event, hopefully giving us an indication of what new features we may find in this year's Diretide event.

dota 2frostivusvalvediretide
Buy now from SteamUS

carson
Posted 04:34pm 11/12/13
I've been telling my friends who play lots of dota and don't follow the news he was removed due to being a s*** hero. Their reactions are funny. (He is a s*** hero though, he has the second lowest win rate in pro games)

The optimist in my expects we'll see up to 4 heroes released in this event. Legion Commander, Winter Wyvern, Arc Warden, and Terrorblade.
trog
Posted 10:34am 13/12/13
SK had my highest win rate for ages :( I hope he's not removed.
Zapo
Posted 10:43am 13/12/13
SK had my highest win rate for ages :( I hope he's not removed.

Is that because he only has one ability that you actually have to activate Trog ;) Booya!!
trog
Posted 01:33pm 13/12/13

he did have that second one for a while before they removed it in the last big patch, which I really liked (take a percentage health of a target unit and add it as your health) :(
Dodgymon
Posted 04:33pm 13/12/13
yeah that was passive trog
DeadlyDav0
Posted 04:41pm 13/12/13
lol dodgy, no it wasnt. His crit strike (spell 3??) was passive but then they added an active ability where you could temporarily take a chunk of health from the enemy as trog said. Using this ability temporarily removed the crit strike passive ability.

Guess we just found the real dota noob.
Taipan
Posted 05:12pm 13/12/13
Is this game really that good? I have never even checked it out but the fans of it seem totally hooked and rabid about it. Sorry for my ignorance
DeadlyDav0
Posted 05:47pm 13/12/13
Its free to play bro but there is a MASSIVE learning curve.

I think the vast majority of players come from other MOBA games like DOTA1, LoL, HoN etc so if you have no MOBA experience and no friends to play with then probably wont enjoy your experience.
Taipan
Posted 05:59pm 13/12/13
Its free to play bro but there is a MASSIVE learning curve.

Lol well that probably leaves me screwed then. I actually dont have a regular group of guys i play games with these days given that i left all my gamer mates when i moved here to the US so i can see that making things hard.
Viper119
Posted 06:49pm 13/12/13
Yeah I'm in the same boat as you Tapian, I keep hearing about this but have never played it, plus don't have any gamer mates since moving to Cape Town. (Except some aussie mates I still play LFD2 with).

Are there any good beginner/intro guides to DOTA2 anywhere?
ctd
Posted 07:14pm 13/12/13
heaps.
try the dota2 reddit page. has heaps of links on the sidebar
Twisted
Posted 07:21pm 13/12/13
Gah! I'm hoping they don't remove skelton king either...he's great to play.
qmass
Posted 12:38am 14/12/13

Skeleton King just got a model swap with some fun time shenanigans (wraith night) to explain it. Ill miss all the KNEEL BEFORE ME PEASANT stuff but the new model is kind of boss too.

Are there any good beginner/intro guides to DOTA2 anywhere?
This is the highest rated guide on steam for dota 2 - http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck
trog
Posted 01:49am 14/12/13
^^^ yeh that guide is the go-to guide. wish I'd had it before I started playing! Also read my dota 2 review for a very high level intro :)