18 years after the conclusion of Shenmue II, Yu Suzuki returns with the long-awaited crowdfunded sequel - decades in the making.
Shenmue III Review - Party Like its 1999
We sit down with Hearthstone’s Lead Designer Dean Ayala and Producer Melissa Corning to discuss the new dragon-themed set, the new Auto Chess inspired Battlegrounds, and more.
Hearthstone: Descent of Dragons - Blizzard on the New Expansion
We sit down with Game Director Jeff Kaplan and Lead Designer Geoff Goodman to discuss story versus PvP, sound design, Push, and the game’s interesting launch plans.
Overwatch 2 – The Big Interview
We've run Red Dead Redemption 2 through its PC paces as the series finally lands on the Desktop platform!
Red Dead Redemption 2 is Finally on PC - How Does it Fare?
Post by Steve Farrelly @ 04:50pm 09/12/13 | 12 Comments
To many technophiles, the idea that Xbox One and PS4 have both launched with Blu-ray disc support and 500GB HDD is a bit laughable. Sure, we've been digitally pulling our games down on Steam, Good old Games and more to insert into our virtual library for years. You can't argue, however, with the time it often takes to get some of those bigger games, which our very own Kosta "Toadovsky" Andreadis argues is partly the reason why next-gen has stuck with an optical disc format. At least for the time-being.
The biggest bump so far (and at launch, we might add) is the digital download of NBA 2K14 on Xbox One, in the form of 43GB... [a game that] would need six DVDs, 62 CDs or, going even further back, over 28,000 floppy disks just to fit on a retail shelf.
It's an interesting thought, and one he goes further into detail on in his feature: Digital Dreaming: Thanks to Next-Gen, the Optical Disc Lives On, and On.

Check it out and be sure to drop us a line with your thoughts on the subject in the Comments section.

xbox oneps4next-gendigital downloadblu-rayop ed

Posted 05:20pm 09/12/13
Microsoft tried taking steps towards more digital and less reliance on physical media though with the XBone and the internet picked up its pitchforks and torches and brandished them until MS backed down. Granted they did a truly terrible job of getting their message accross, but unfortunately the stain that left behind is probably going to prevent Sony or Nintendo from doing any big moves in the same direction for a while, for fear of getting tarred with the same brush.
deadlyf
Posted 05:32pm 09/12/13
Why wouldn't you want a console with a blu ray player? It's one less thing you have to buy and plug in to the mess of wires behind the TV.

Games are not the only thing consoles are for, if they want to be a media center then they need to have BR players.

I'm all for digital downloads, but for me the biggest hindrance I would think is the restrictive marketplace where you can't shop for the best price rather than the size. I have never hesitated to pull the trigger on a Steam purchase if it's for the right price but I can get Steam keys from any number of retailers, I don't know if this works the same with MS or Sony.
Steve Farrelly
Posted 05:35pm 09/12/13
I often worry about what you're 'purchasing' online too, like, that idea that you only indefinitely rent music when you purchase something on iTunes. I also like my physical games and blu-ray collection. It's like comics and books :)
KostaAndreadis
Posted 06:07pm 09/12/13
There's nothing wrong with a Bluray player, and a physical library of games and movies. But there's also nothing wrong with a digital library of games and movies.

Except when a game is 40gb either on Bluray or stored digitally on a HDD - then the latter is an afterthought.
Whoop
Posted 06:55pm 09/12/13
With the size of games today, not all of us can get high quota internet and if we can we have to pay hundreds of dollars per month.

One game. Yes, one. I could download one game per month and it would cap me. No I'm not willing to sell up and spend 700,000 on a new house just to get better internet.

This is why I will always buy games on disc (unless this country gets its s*** together internet wise but that's about as likely to happen as me growing tits over night)
TicMan
Posted 07:06pm 09/12/13

I also like my physical games and blu-ray collection.

On a console this is it for me, yet on my PC the only boxed copies of games I have is Blizzard stuff. Everything else is digital yet when I look at buying a game on the WiiU or Xbox1 I want the physical version.

For me it's about being able to sell/trade that in the future while a digital copy is probably not transferrable.
WirlWind
Posted 08:06pm 09/12/13
The f*** is eating up 43GB on a f*****g BASKETBALL game!?
beau
Posted 10:15pm 09/12/13
It's so M$ and Pony can keep charging you console fools for overpriced games because its not 'digitally distributed.' They're milking the dead cow.
KostaAndreadis
Posted 10:35pm 09/12/13
Ancient Alien Conspiracy theorists would agree
Darkhawk
Posted 10:51pm 09/12/13
I still like my PC games coming on disc, I'm just happy that we may finally start seeing PC games on BD ROMs with lossless sound and high-res textures without having to resort to mods. The 360 held back gaming for years with its DVD drive, it also killed HD DVD (at least quicker) by not being built in from the start.
Arathorn
Posted 03:28pm 25/1/14
"Whoop
Posted 06:55pm 09/12/13
"
Completely false. I am pretty damn poor, live in rural WA and have genuine unlimited full speed ADSL for $90 a month including phone. And yes, real unlimited, no caps ever, no on/off-peak. My first month I dowloaded close to 3TB
Whoop
Posted 05:10pm 25/1/14
"Whoop
Posted 06:55pm 09/12/13
"

Happy for you. Not all areas of Australia are so lucky. I live just outside of brisbane and the only thing available to me is Telstra cable.