The October issue of Game Informer magazine reportedly has a big spread about Grand Theft Auto Online, the upcoming online multiplayer service component for Grand Theft Auto V that is currently scheduled to launch a little later than the intial game itself. CVG has parsed the article for points of note and come up with a rather exhausting list of bullet point features; here's a taste:
- Character progression has a "flow" but there isn't an "overarching narrative that culminates in a definitive conclusion"
- The aim of GTA Online is to do whatever it takes to get more money in the bank and accrue assets such as cars and real estate
- Characters appear in cutscenes when interacting with other characters in the world as they would in the single-player but doesn't speak
- Female characters can be used in GTA Online
- Almost all activities from the campaign are available in GTA online: "heists, missions, robberies, assaulting gang hideouts, hijacking armored vehicles, races" as well as "tennis, golf and base jumping"
- According to Rockstar North president Leslie Benzies threre's over 500 missions. Some can be completed solo, but others are complicated and require a team.
- GTA Online takes place after the main story, familiar faces will make appearances
By currying favour of characters you can be introduced to more people and delve deeper into the criminal world
- Franklin's friend Lamar may introduce you to a car dealer named Simeon Yetarian, who wants you to steal cars for him
- Biker gangs my support you during missions if you're friendly with them
- A tech-savvy character you've befriended may hide you on the radar during multiplayer
- Security firms that have taken a liking to you may be used to deliver airstrikes
- Rockstar uses a "dynamic" system to populate GTA Online, starting with your friends and crew members, then similarly skilled players in the same part of the world.
- GTA Online has been created to be "as customisable as possible" in terms of who you play with: "there are options to let the game decide who to play with... or you can hand pick every player in the game".
The full CVG article
has even more points of note.
Grand Theft Auto V is due on September 17th 2013 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.