18 years after the conclusion of Shenmue II, Yu Suzuki returns with the long-awaited crowdfunded sequel - decades in the making.
Shenmue III Review - Party Like its 1999
We sit down with Hearthstone’s Lead Designer Dean Ayala and Producer Melissa Corning to discuss the new dragon-themed set, the new Auto Chess inspired Battlegrounds, and more.
Hearthstone: Descent of Dragons - Blizzard on the New Expansion
We sit down with Game Director Jeff Kaplan and Lead Designer Geoff Goodman to discuss story versus PvP, sound design, Push, and the game’s interesting launch plans.
Overwatch 2 – The Big Interview
We've run Red Dead Redemption 2 through its PC paces as the series finally lands on the Desktop platform!
Red Dead Redemption 2 is Finally on PC - How Does it Fare?
Post by Hogfather @ 10:45am 10/07/13 | 14 Comments
Valve has officially announced (thanks Hogfather) that their two year beta is now over for free-to-play MOBA title Dota 2, with the ability for anyone to now play the game without the need to produce a beta key.

Currently Valve are staging the release of the game with a launch queue in hopes of limiting server instability and crashes. Those who have previously participated in the beta are able to log in at anytime, however those who are new to Dota 2 will be placed into a queue and will be notified when they are "in" and able to play.
Like we mentioned before, the launch of Dota 2 is going to take on a different shape than products we've shipped in the past. Our thinking is that we want the existing audience have uninterrupted access during the launch, in addition to bringing new players into Dota 2 in a way that isn't frustrating. Simply put, we want to smooth out the traditional launch spike, but at the same time allow anyone to come in and try out Dota 2.

Dota 2's user base is already larger than any game we've ever made, and it continues to grow. Knowing this launch moment was coming, we've spent the past year working on getting both the backend infrastructure and new user experience into a state where we can welcome in anyone that wants to give the game a try. With that work now complete, it is time for us to invite anyone and everyone to come play.
To find more on what Valve are doing in anticipation of the launch you can check out their blog post, which also includes a very interesting overview of their server setups for the game. For those looking to jump into the game you can find it on Steam completely free.

dota 2free-to-playvalvesteammoba
Buy now from SteamUS

Hogfather
Posted 01:43pm 10/7/13
Curious that they've decided to queue new users, kind of runs against the internet wisdom that everyone who wanted to play already was?
trog
Posted 01:50pm 10/7/13
I suspect there's a reasonable chunk of people who were sort of oblivious to it and once their marketing kicks in they'll open up quickly. Had a quick game at lunch (got smashhhhhhhhhhhhed) and noticed the queuing times for a game seemed longer than normal, 5min+.
Eorl
Posted 01:51pm 10/7/13
Most likely just a way to ensure the servers don't crash under pressure. I can kind of see more people coming into it now that its "released" because it will be advertised everywhere and it doesn't have any restriction to getting in (while it was simple, people are lazy).

I just wish they would add a surrender option or vote or something to finishing the game up quickly once you know you've lost. Yes not having one does stop people from just jumping ship early and not bothering to try, but I absolutely loathe matches where we have been pushed hard and can not get back without some divine miracle, and have to sit around waiting for things to clean up. Worse is when people actually go out of their way to prolong the game by taking forever. That I hate.
Dodgymon
Posted 01:57pm 10/7/13
I absolutely loathe matches where we have been pushed hard and can not get back without some divine rapier's

Fixed it for you ;)
Hogfather
Posted 03:13pm 10/7/13

This very seldom happens to me, although maybe I'm more optimistic about our chances at any given point and play on even though we're losing. There are a few times where we've called it and stopped defending, the other team usually cleans up once this is the case (as DOTA without people to hit is a very, very boring ARPG)

I've won a non-trivial number of games where we've turtled hard and pulled off a symphony of ults at 50 minutes, or the natural progression of the game meant that we had a better late game (carry heavy) and just had to hold out until the Butterflies, Daedaluses and BKBs appeared. Especially in pub games the enemy can f*** it up bad when they come upstairs and the brutal respawn timers later in the game give you a real chance to come back hard and get some raxes if they do.

This isn't common, but its not rocking horse s*** either, and I would hate to lose that so that people can get out 5 minutes early. If the game is absolutely broken terrible and you're being farmed someone will usually RQ and take an abandon anyway, I have a couple of alt accounts to ride out a LPQ period for that very reason.
carson
Posted 03:10pm 10/7/13

It will never get implemented. They stated that in the PC gamer article not long ago.

Good it's finally out. Hope we get an aggressive ad campaign to get more people playing.
Posted 04:00pm 10/7/13
I downloaded dota 2 weeks ago and still haven't summoned up the nerve to give it a go yet, I think I need someone to hold my hand and show me the ropes
TiT
Posted 04:04pm 10/7/13
Khel play the training then play a game against the AI that will pretty much get you to a place you need to be
Mosfx
Posted 04:18pm 10/7/13
heh Khel I am in the same boat as you, had it installed for weeks but can't summon the guts to play it because i know I'll get smashed, SC2 is the same if I take a long break I can't play Mplayer until I've replayed some of the campaign just to get my shortcuts back up to speed.

Scared of losing much?
carson
Posted 08:25pm 10/7/13
I will play with you all.

Win or lose I don't care so long as I have fun. Play the tutes though, once you played them we can hit it up.
XandraX
Posted 08:58pm 10/7/13
This kind of game attracts elitist a*******s, so any newbies will have to be prepared to listen to the barrage of abuse if they do a single thing wrong.
Obes
Posted 09:55pm 10/7/13
Khel LOL is probably more noob friendly. Less going on, e.g. no denies!
It takes patience and a skin of steel!
carson
Posted 10:03pm 10/7/13
You get elitist d*******s in every game though. WoW has them, Counter strike, etc.

It's like any other game, finding a group that are fun to play with. It can be really frustrating sometimes when you're playing an a single mistake can make the game a loss though.
Hogfather
Posted 10:15pm 10/7/13

Nah these days its pretty chill, the threat of comm ban is harsh. You'll get told (proly curtly) if you are being dumb though.